• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

I'm not so sure. The Australian has made a loss for years and years. Pretty sure Murdoch uses it for a political platform in a lot of ways. Trying to "frame the debate" and so forth. What you've said applies to the tabloids though I think.

In framing the debate it becomes a loss leader. He might lose money on the product itself, but through its lobbying power-slash-influence it gains money in other ways.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-04/foxtel-launches-legal-case-to-block-piracy-websites/6670780

Certainly not surprised, though I guess given how much the copyright industry pushed for this I am kind of surprised they have not lodged any yet. Figured Foxtel would have done so on day one.

Case in point

Fredescu

In framing the debate it becomes a loss leader. He might lose money on the product itself, but through its lobbying power-slash-influence it gains money in other ways.

I think there's a point for some where power becomes a more interesting goal than money, but whether it's either, he has to be wondering if Trump getting away from him in the US is something that could be replicated here.

wonzo

Banned
CLmJDU-UcAAY2-l.jpg:large

lmfdo

Yagharek

So now the LNP are going after Tony Burke for his travel claims.

I can't wait to see reprisals EVERYWHERE over this. Travel claims could hopefully claim about 30 political scalps on both sides of the parliament.

That should bring the budget back into surplus.

Wow, the Telegraph really have done a 180, haven't they?

Don't be silly; they can't count that high.

danm999

This sort of shows how shortsighted Abbott and Shorten are; they opened up this massive new witch hunt where their parties will be slogged by the media and public repeatedly. Anytime someone rises up now they can be destroyed by something that happened years ago.

Might be good though, clear out some of the patently unworthy career politicians squatting in Parliament House.

danm999

Some of those make sense; Abbott, Robb and Bishop need to travel internationally to fulfil their portfolios, but what the hell is Wyatt Roy doing. Isn't he the most junior Rep in the House?

Quasar

Some of those make sense; Abbott, Robb and Bishop need to travel internationally to fulfil their portfolios, but what the hell is Wyatt Roy doing. Isn't he the most junior Rep in the House?

Yep.

And from that link he spent a shitton (300k) on a office refit.

Fredescu

Tim Watts said an electorate redistribution forced an office move, which is where the bulk of his comes from. Both him and Roy only come under total and "Office Fitout", so probably something similar for him too.

danm999

Tim Watts said an electorate redistribution forced an office move, which is where the bulk of his comes from. Both him and Roy only come under total and "Office Fitout", so probably something similar for him too.

I suppose that explains Jacqui Lambie and Leyonhelm as well.

Fredescu

Do senators normally have shopfront style offices like reps? Even if not, they probably needed to establish an office in the first place, so yeah I'd say it would.

Arksy

I suppose that explains Jacqui Lambie and Leyonhelm as well.

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not...I'll assume it isn't just to say that those two are senators and don't need to move unless they move out of the state.

But these two are new senators so it wouldn't be weird for them to have to properly fit out their own offices.

Senators serve six year terms after all and it's not like they're pocketing the money.

I think it was more directed at the fact they are new senators so costs of establishing an office or whatever

Edit: damn you editing Arksy :p

danm999

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not...I'll assume it isn't just to say that those two are senators and don't need to move unless they move out of the state.

But these two are new senators so it wouldn't be weird for them to have to properly fit out their own offices.

Senators serve six year terms after all and it's not like they're pocketing the money.

Nah just that they're new and they need to set their offices up.

Arksy

Politicians do require money to you know live and work. I don't think that's particularly an issue. They also need an office and staff and other items in order to be effective.

There's a pretty big difference between not going for the cheapest possible option and going too far. For example I don't think we should force politicians to fly economy but catching a chopper for a short car ride is obviously moronic.

Also the thing that upsets me more than that is the fact that former MPs and senators are racking up expenses. They no longer work and therefore shouldn't need to claim anything. Their generous parliamentary pension should be enough.

Yagharek

Politicians do require money to you know live and work. I don't think that's particularly an issue. They also need an office and staff and other items in order to be effective.

There's a pretty big difference between not going for the cheapest possible option and going too far. For example I don't think we should force politicians to fly economy but catching a chopper for a short car ride is obviously moronic.

Also the thing that upsets me more than that is the fact that former MPs and senators are racking up expenses. They no longer work and therefore shouldn't need to claim anything. Their generous parliamentary pension should be enough.

Precisely.

If a minister is travelling to represent the country at a diplomatic level be it for trade or strategic alliances etc, then flying business class is appropriate.

If they bring their family then they should pay for their portion out of their own pocket.

If they bring staff then that is fine for official budget.

None of this is or should be controversial (although at the moment all we see are grand totals not breakdowns).

wonzo

Banned
Sterilise the poor. Speaking of Connor Court Publishing, it is also publishing Gary Johns' upcoming tome with the no-holds-barred title of No Contraception, No Dole: Tackling intergenerational welfare. The company has helpfully published the opening sentences of the book to get readers hooked:

"This project started on 27 December 2014, after I read the horrible news that a mother had murdered seven of her children and one other child. The dead numbered three of the mother’s girls, aged 12, 11 and 2; three of her sons aged 9, 8, 6 and 5. The eighth victim, a 14-year-old niece, had been staying with them in their Cairns home. The woman had these children to different fathers. Her income came from you and me, taxpayers. Did anyone ever think to call a halt to this women being used as a cash cow?"​

He has also titled chapters along the lines of "Some Australian women are cash cows" and "Blaming the poor and other trash talk". We could probably run a "Gary Johns quote or comment from News.com.au competition" once it is released in September.

jesus

Fredescu

Coalition MP suggests property market risks creating kingdom of serfs and lords.

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/ub...sing-market-says-coalition-mp-20150804-gira9b

Coalition MP stops short of encouraging the proletariat to rise up and seize the means of production, "but if you're going to anyway, count me in"

Coalition MP: "It is not yet time to eat the rich. They must be dry aged first"

Coalition MP suggests party give a shit about something other than defending the interests of the rich.

Ok, sorry, that last one is too far fetched.

JC Sera

Reminds me of forced sterilisation of PoC in jail in america

Fuck I just looked it up, if you are disabled & female then you can be forcefully sterilised in australia

please tell me this law has been changed already and I'm reading false info
what the actual fuck

Arksy

Reminds me of forced sterilisation of PoC in jail in america

Fuck I just looked it up, if you are disabled & female then you can be forcefully sterilised in australia

please tell me this law has been changed already and I'm reading false info
what the actual fuck

This strikes me as odd. I know there was that case in the UK along those lines but in Australia it would be state by state.

The UK can scarcely claim to be a liberal democracy these days anyway. The case was about a severely intellectually disabled person who had (and would keep having) a large number of children and she wasn't physically able to look after them.

It's pretty disgusting but it's not as bad as it sounds. They're not sterilising people with a limp.

JC Sera

This strikes me as odd. I know there was that case in the UK along those lines but in Australia it would be state by state.

The UK can scarcely claim to be a liberal democracy these days anyway. The case was about a severely intellectually disabled person who had (and would keep having) a large number of children and she wasn't physically able to look after them.

It's pretty disgusting but it's not as bad as it sounds. They're not sterilising people with a limp.
I also forgot to include the part where intersex people were also allowed to be forcibly sterilised as well
hit me like a double whammy

I know they are not sterilising people with a limp; this is law largely based in eugenics of years yonder

darkace

Banned
The Nazi's didn't have the manpower or materiel to destroy Paris in 1944, so the actions of the officers who left it intact are literally meaningless.

Yagharek

The Nazi's didn't have the manpower or materiel to destroy Paris in 1944, so the actions of the officers who left it intact are literally meaningless.

Not to mention, if you "did something good" in 1944 or 1945 and happened to be a Nazi, then the ship had long since sailed on having claim to any kind of morality.

Arksy

Not to mention, if you "did something good" in 1944 or 1945 and happened to be a Nazi, then the ship had long since sailed on having claim to any kind of morality.

They seem to at least acknowledge it, I think it's more of a way for them to reconcile the horror they probably felt when they found out their uncle was involved. It's a clumsy thing to say in public though.

Welcome to the calibre of thinking going in the "none of the above" section of the Senate.

Windfarm 'wing nuts': Public health expert takes aim at activists

An independent Senator [John Madigan] has compared opponents of wind farms to people who raised concerns about the dangers of thalidomide, which was later linked to the deaths of 2000 children and birth defects in more than 10,000 infants. The drug, which was marketed as a remedy for morning sickness, was withdrawn from the market in 1961.

Professor Chapman acknowledged that some people who live near wind farms are distressed by the turbines and believe they are being harmed by them.

But he described this as unfounded, saying nearly every review completed since 2003 had shown that noise and health complaints about wind farms are a "psychogenic phenomenon" — having a psychological rather than physical cause.

Pointing to a family that had complained about infrasound emanating from a nearby wind turbine even when it was switched off, Professor Chapman said it said much about "the now sometimes bizarre sub-culture of complaint that has arisen among the small network of wind farm opponents in Australia".

Yep even when they aren't even on. God only know what would happen to these people if they lived near a tall tree or even a building.

Arksy

Wouldn't it depend on the prevalence of the phenomena. I mean if thousands of people are disturbed from reasons that are purely psychosomatic..why would that be any different to a real physical causative link.

We could easily figure that putting some heads on spikes outside some homes might have a negative psychological effects even though there's no real physical link.

If this is the idiosyncratic complaint of ons idiot it's obviously different but it seems like there is more to it.

Edit: damn it this post was meant to be less serious and more troll like. I hate mornings.

Dryk

If there is a link it's most likely stress-related. It's a problem for some people but it's nowhere near thalidomide.

Whether there's a link between that stress and actual production of noise is really, really hard to pin down at the moment. But enough people are complaining then it's worth looking into. The thing is though that plenty of people are already looking into it, the government doesn't need to get involved in the research. Relocation/treatment of susceptible people's home maybe, research no.

Fredescu

There's a link between people telling people wind farms cause problems and people worrying that the wind farms near them are causing problems. There is also a link between worrying and health problems. No such problems are reported where there are no astroturfed anti wind campaigns.

Seems cut and dried to me? Not sure what the confusion is.

Yagharek

They seem to at least acknowledge it, I think it's more of a way for them to reconcile the horror they probably felt when they found out their uncle was involved. It's a clumsy thing to say in public though.

Most likely. I don't hold the current Abetz people at all culpable for the crimes of their relatives but at the end of the day, their relative was a nazi cunt.

Arksy

The Greens, the only party in Parliament without an indigenous representative, claiming the indigenous flag as their own.

Klassy with a K.

darkace

Banned
I understand why it's a shit thing to do, but what does this move practically mean for the ABC? What is actually going to change?

Arksy

Yes, as the only party without seals popes, and turtles in parliament, they should stop falsely claiming to stand up for these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom