• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm of the school of thought that does believe free speech (or rather the free dissemination of ideas) is essential to social progress (which incidentally aligns to what is currently progressive politics) , I'll try and explain my thinking. The key idea is that many ideas that we've accepted as good things for society have historically been subject to oppression,

They've succeeded only because of the limits on the ability to perform that suppression, as technology advances its much more difficult to avoid suppression (facial recognition camera systems stretching over the nation, automatic retention of your internet metadata (or data), tracking your network of friends, warrantless access to great deal of things that really shouldn't have it because the people making these decisions fail to understand just how private some "public" data is (your text messages, voice mail, phone call data, virtually all your webmail more than a couple of years old, etc)).

If these ideas are immediately suppressed then their acceptance will never happen and social progress stalls. Until things go to hell to such an extent you end up with a revolution, and the difference in power between states and individuals is now so great that the revolution is going to be a martyrs revolution not armed conflict.

The ideas need to be preserved so they can potentially be adopted in the future even if they fill you with the deepest disgust right now. A rich man in the 1700s would have been horrified by the concept of a poor female voting after all (and the logic would have been that they didn't have the mental capacity to vote appropriately, a position that would have had wide societal and academic acceptance at the time).

Where does non-governmental suppression come in ? For many historical cases you probably can't even cleanly tell what was societal and what was governmental suppression. These things feed back into each other , the government sets a tone for what is socially acceptable and social acceptance feeds back into government perception. A great deal of religious based suppression was technically societal in that its origin was in the power of the church to control social belief , but it was no less effective for that.

The ability of social media to get people fired for things that don't warrant it is truly terrifying. In what case if I understand it right there was one incident in which 3 people lost their jobs: 2 men made an off-color remark between themselves at a convention, a woman overheard and raised it on social media. All 3 of them ended up losing their jobs following the ensuing outrage. It's not really questionable the woman shouldn't have been and I don't think the men should have been either. The concept of your employer having constant veto over your every action because it may reflect badly on them is the thing of dystopian corporate nightmares (a business should only be able to do that in cases where people are projecting publicly and preferably only when they are actually representing the business).

This is a different justification than liberals tend to use, who see it as being about the personal liberty of the individual to speak and it's probably one of the reasons why we part ways on money =/= speech. To a liberal you have the personal right to express your ideas and the personal right to use your money as you wish. If the key thing is the societal good of the expression and preservation of ideas, then the use of money is a negative: Your money megaphone prevents the expression and preservation of ideas by drowning them out with sheer volume and is thus a negative, since you're effectively preventing the free dissemination of ideas.

darkace

Banned
http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-polic...ticides-because-of-ttip-and-pressure-from-us/

:T
(I know this isn't the TPP but still its pretty gross, and might be a future insight)

Also nice summary of IP impact of the TPP, ever though its very gamer-centric
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIJVetzaHs

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/10/tpp-ip-chapter-a-disaster-for-global-health/

And here's one on the impacts for health, which also paints a fairly bleak picture.

Not that anything will change. From Crikey: Other findings show remarkably little opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which has 49% approval and 16% disapproval.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/10/tpp-ip-chapter-a-disaster-for-global-health/

And here's one on the impacts for health, which also paints a fairly bleak picture.

Not that it matters, really. From Crikey: Other findings show remarkably little opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which has 49% approval and 16% disapproval.

That can't possibly be accurate since that implies that 65% of the population actually have some idea of what it is , which is almost certainly too high by about 30%. Which means that people are probably judging it as a random trade agreement which people believe are good by default.

Fredescu

This is a different justification than liberals tend to use, who see it as being about the personal liberty of the individual to speak and it's probably one of the reasons why we part ways on money =/= speech. To a liberal you have the personal right to express your ideas and the personal right to use your money as you wish. If the key thing is the societal good of the expression and preservation of ideas, then the use of money is a negative: Your money megaphone prevents the expression and preservation of ideas by drowning them out with sheer volume and is thus a negative, since you're effectively preventing the free dissemination of ideas.

Yeah, this is a good way of putting it. I agree that free speech is very important, but the liberal interpretation of "free" is probably the issue. A diversity of speech is more important, and guys like Newman who already have privilege and a platform aren't really harmed by some small amounts of suppression here and there. The main thing I don't like is the precedent. If we accept small things like this, does it lead to say Gina Rinehart buying out large book chain or publishers and imposing her ideology on them. I guess that's why I think Gay's suggestion at the end of her article would have been a better course of action by the store.

wonzo

Banned
CRPvp9JUkAEvH-c.png:orig

Rubixcuba

Banned
Attacking Turnbull for being rich, is such a yeah, okay argument. Shorten should be spending time talking on the 4-5 policies we've unveiled past few weeks then attacking Turnbull with most lazy effort.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Whilst this may be an accurate assessment of the quality of Labor's tactics, this writer, and any who raise the "class warfare/politics of envy" boogeyman so lazily, can go stuff themselves. Howard wasn't engaged in class warfare because he appealed to aspirational voters? It's crap on the "those who are always talking about race are the real racists," order.

Shaneus

Whilst this may be an accurate assessment of the quality of Labor's tactics, this writer, and any who raise the "class warfare/politics of envy" boogeyman so lazily, can go stuff themselves. Howard wasn't engaged in class warfare because he appealed to aspirational voters? It's crap on the "those who are always talking about race are the real racists," order.
I hadn't actually read the article, was more focused on the core of it (focusing on Turnbulls reliability/perspective).

WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK.

Arksy

Attacking Turnbull for being rich, is such a yeah, okay argument. Shorten should be spending time talking on the 4-5 policies we've unveiled past few weeks then attacking Turnbull with most lazy effort.

Shorten needs a kick up the ass. You're 100% right people who actually give a flying fuck that he's rich are probably not the ones who would ever vote liberal anyway, the rest of the population want to hear why the ALP might be better.

It's not like he can do anything about being rich either so it's a silly attack unless he got rich by doing something shady.

Heck even most of us crazy lefties don't dislike individual rich people because they are rich people. It's the use of the wealth to rig the system in their favour while screwing other people over as a (I'm usually charitable enough to assume unintended) consequence that annoys us.

Quasar

Well I'd argue its useful of a symbol of the types of tax evasion needed to be cracked down on in any kind of root and branch tax review.

Of course this kind of evasion I'd expect from most politicians no matter what side.

It does remind me though Turnbull was Packers banker, and we all know how old Kerry felt about tax.

I can't place my finger on it, but I have a funny feeling about having such an inordinately wealthy individual as the PM. I always knew Turnbull was rich, but hearing yesterday that his net worth is anywhere from one hundred to two hundred mill put it in perspective just how rich...
I don't think Turnbull personally is out of touch with "ordinary people" or has any more conflicts of interest in particular than any other politician or will abuse his power in any which way.. but still.. just kinda feels odd.

Yagharek

it gets worse

someone should make a thread about this. i would but im too fucking angry

It's funny (not joke funny, just completely contradictory) how Turnbull comes in and starts professing his support for victims of domestic violence.

Then he and his government treat a rape victim like a political football, in order to be seen as being tough on asylum seekers, or as they call them, illegal immigrants.

We have genuinely voted in a set of sociopaths in this parliament, on both sides of the chamber.

Morally bankrupt, victim-blaming, misogynist, racist, human-rights abusing, domestic violence supporting FUCKWITS.

Danoss

not as egregious as that story but how do you guys feel about this

police be cracking down on jaywalkers in sydney

"More than 10,000 pedestrians have been fined for illegally crossing city streets since a crackdown was launched against the practice in Sydney's CBD, new figures have revealed"

Crackdowns like this are ridiculous. If things have reached a point where it is so bad, it's a sign there wasn't consistent punishment or warnings issued to offenders in the first place.

Enforcement of the law is rarely black and white. A lot of people are sensible enough to only cross when they are sure it's safe, though many others aren't and cause problems for the rest (like with many other minor laws). You can give a gentle warning to someone who does it safely and a fine to the one who could've died or caused an accident.

Coming down hard on everyone for something like this just gives people a reason to dislike the police. Had the situation not reached a point where such a low tolerance was deemed necessary, I doubt it would've made the papers. Warnings both inform the offender and make the police look reasonable (as I've found them to be). Someone getting busted and issued a fine for being irresponsible isn't going to bother anyone other than the idiotic offender.

As an anecdotal example, I had my feet on the seat when on the train once and was chatting to my friend opposite me. Unbeknownst to me a police officer was ascending the stairs behind me. He came up to us and said to my friend, "What kind of mate are you? You didn't even bother to tell your mate to take his feet off the seats because a cop was coming". I took my feet off the seat, we had a bit of a laugh and the officer walked away.

Lastly, where did the "new" 10,000 fines figure come from? They mention a more specific "new" figure of 8,021 in the same article.

bomma_man

Islamofacsism is the puzzle piece I was missing. I kinda don't want to Google it. What is it?

I'm fairly sure Christopher Hitchens came up with it during his clash of civilisations/neo con phase.

Hitch said:
The most obvious points of comparison would be these: Both movements are based on a cult of murderous violence that exalts death and destruction and despises the life of the mind. ("Death to the intellect! Long live death!" as Gen. Francisco Franco's sidekick Gonzalo Queipo de Llano so pithily phrased it.) Both are hostile to modernity (except when it comes to the pursuit of weapons), and both are bitterly nostalgic for past empires and lost glories. Both are obsessed with real and imagined "humiliations" and thirsty for revenge. Both are chronically infected with the toxin of anti-Jewish paranoia (interestingly, also, with its milder cousin, anti-Freemason paranoia). Both are inclined to leader worship and to the exclusive stress on the power of one great book. Both have a strong commitment to sexual repression—especially to the repression of any sexual "deviance"—and to its counterparts the subordination of the female and contempt for the feminine. Both despise art and literature as symptoms of degeneracy and decadence; both burn books and destroy museums and treasures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom