• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
SRcBxs6.png

rip honeymoon

LNP is such a shambles they can't even capitalise on Turnbull being the leader. SMFH.

That was pretty obvious from the point they wouldn't give him a token victory on even 1 of his publicly approved moderate stances. I'm pretty sure it would have been fairly easy to do a free vote on SSM but arrange things that there weren't enough votes to pass (since the ALP is free voting as well).

danm999

Hmm not looking good for the LNP that the honeymoon seems to have ended after basically no gaffes or slip ups over the recess.

The Nationals really fucked the Coalition by castrating Turnbull's popular public stances. Oh well, let's see what this week of parliament brings us.

D.Lo

The Nationals really fucked the Coalition by castrating Turnbull's popular public stances. Oh well, let's see what this week of parliament brings us.
Yep that and Abbott already running around slandering people has a bit of a 'here we go again' stench.

Still can't see Turnbull losing against Shorten. Imagine a Shorten led election campaign, it will make Gillard look like Hawke.

danm999

Yep that and Abbott already running around slandering people has a bit of a 'here we go again' stench.

Still can't see Turnbull losing against Shorten. Imagine a Shorten led election campaign, it will make Gillard look like Hawke.

I think Labor can win in spite of Shorten honestly. We'll see.

Regardless, there's going to be a sizeable swing against the government at this point, and the Senate is going to get even more 'feral'.

wonzo

Banned
ppm's never really made a difference come elections, still want shorten to be rolled tho

then again itd be hilarious to see malcolm tryna malspain his way out of an election defeat with shorten at the helm

darkace

Banned
That newspoll doesn't make a whole heap of sense to me. I can't think of any reason at all that it would turn around like that, against the grain of every other poll out there. It being a rogue is the most likely outcome, imo.

D.Lo

It's not just that Shorten is a shit communicator.

It's not just that he is at least partially responsible for the massive political blunder letting Abbott getting into power by rolling Rudd.

It's not just that he so obviously represents career cronyism and all that's bad about the union influence on the Labor party.

It's that his policies are complete soundbite dogshit. He's Abbott lite.

That defence of RICH people getting part pension while having millions in assets just so they can say 'Tony Abbott wants to take away your pension' is typical.

danm999

Oh he's terrible no doubt. But if the Australian public were above putting someone terrible in as a protest vote we wouldn't have had the last few years of Abbott.

Fredescu

That newspoll doesn't make a whole heap of sense to me. I can't think of any reason at all that it would turn around like that, against the grain of every other poll out there. It being a rogue is the most likely outcome, imo.

What other polls? Most of them are a week or more old at this point right? Deflating honeymoon bounce makes sense to me.

wonzo

Banned
On last week's Essential:

Just as the leadership change appears to have cost Roy Morgan its long-established Labor bias, in the short-term it least, so it seems Essential Research has lost its trademark stability. That’s belied by headline figures for this week which show the Coalition’s two-party lead unchanged at 52-48, from steady primary votes of 44% for the Coalition and 35% for Labor, with the Greens and Palmer United both down a point to 10% and 1% respectively. However, the result of last week’s two-week fortnightly average included a 50-50 result from the previous week that is not included in this week’s result, so it follows that this week’s numbers failed to replicate those that caused last week’s sharp movement from 50-50 to 52-48.

darkace

Banned
What other polls? Most of them are a week or more old at this point right? Deflating honeymoon bounce makes sense to me.

zzzzz. Missed the poll name, thought it was Essential. That being said, it seems a little weird for the honeymoon to deflate this quickly, especially given that almost everything out of this PM'ship so far has been really quite positive.

ppm's never really made a difference come elections, still want shorten to be rolled tho

then again itd be hilarious to see malcolm tryna malspain his way out of an election defeat with shorten at the helm

malsplain
genius

Who wants to write my poltics essay for me

Identify an area of social policy over which Coalition and Labor governments have taken different policy approaches? What have been the cumulative consequences of these differences in terms of policy implementation and outcomes in this policy area?

kthxbai
seems pretty easy tho
and this question follows the trend I've been seeing lately of profs putting a question mark on something that isn't a question lol

Jintor

it's just that rising australian intonation? you know where you always sound like you're asking a question even though you're not? it's just one of those weird things?

danm999

CRJdbNmVAAAoq9w.png:large

thispersonvotes.mp4

What even is this numpty's point? There's no hypocrisy here. The Melbourne Royal Children's Hospital didn't "steal" the child (unless you view it as belonging to the Border Force; a chilling proposition); they deliberately kept it with the mother so they wouldn't get sent back into detention.

Am I missing something or is this letter exactly as dumb a "GOTCHA YOU HYPOCRITE LEFTISTS" as I think it is?

danm999

If you care about refugees so much, why isn't there a refugee in every square meter of your house?

Checkmate!

I do hope with the rise of Turnbull and fall of Abbott we can stop this race to the bottom on who can treat refugees worst but I fear it'll happen all over again when the next Coalition leader goes to an election.

Dead Man

Going back a bit here, apologies.

It was a poor attempt at trolling. We're still a party to it. Should explain it a bit more though, there are no general mechanisms from withdrawing from treaties in international law. International law doesn't really care what the local laws of a country are, and conversely Australian law (unlike American law) doesn't really care what international law says.

Signing a treaty has zero legal impact in Australia by itself. What it does is it gives the federal government, who are limited in the types of subject matter they can legislate, the power to legislate on the subject matter of the treaty.

For example, Tasmania wants to build a dam, federal government opposes, signs a treaty about environmental protection and proceeds to sanction the area so that Tasmania can't build a dam there. (See the famous Tasmanian Dams case). Without having signed the treaty, the federal government would have had zero power to interfere with Tasmania's plenary power on the matter.

In order for a treaty to become law we have to actually pass legislation giving effect to that treaty. We can pass as little or as much of the treaty as we wish in order to make it law. In the case above, we are still technically a party to the convention but we have overridden the previous passages with more recent and specific legislation. (I don't know off hand how much of the convention in question is actually a part of Australian law).

P.S: Conventions are generally treaties but are named as such because they usually have multiple parties as opposed to a treaty which have traditionally been bilateral.
Ah, apologies for missing the joke, I had my grumpy pants on :) My point was more once the required legislation is passed here, how often have we withdrawn and amended or revoked that legislation? Not very often would be the answer. So to me, saying we can amend things after the fact doesn't really hold much weight.
Were you banned or have we not just seen you for a while? Seems like yonks since I last saw your avatar.
Nah, just cut down my posting on GAF in general. :)

Hey legend166, here's a good article about censorship and "the left" that I think is pretty much saying what you were saying: http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...eres-something-i-can-do-defend-his-awful-book

Eh, that seems a really poorly argued piece to me. It basically amounts to them not liking a reason someone has given for not supporting a piece of speech. If you want to criticise a store for not stocking an item for political or personal reasons you are far out in loony territory to me.

Fredescu

So, wow.

"Federal MP and mining magnate Clive Palmer has pledged to establish a legal fund to help asylum seekers and refugees at Manus Island and Nauru, calling on the federal government to "end this shame"."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...fugees-suffering-torture-20151013-gk7ohl.html

Eh, that seems a really poorly argued piece to me. It basically amounts to them not liking a reason someone has given for not supporting a piece of speech. If you want to criticise a store for not stocking an item for political or personal reasons you are far out in loony territory to me.

Like I said a bit further up, it comes down to power. Say if Steam choose not to host a game for political reasons, it's worth asking why. They have a fair chunk of market power.

Dead Man

So, wow.

"Federal MP and mining magnate Clive Palmer has pledged to establish a legal fund to help asylum seekers and refugees at Manus Island and Nauru, calling on the federal government to "end this shame"."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...fugees-suffering-torture-20151013-gk7ohl.html
I sometimes get the impression there is a real person underneath all the attention seeking and bluster. Only sometimes.
Like I said a bit further up, it comes down to power. Say if Steam choose not to host a game for political reasons, it's worth asking why. They have a fair chunk of market power.
Sure, but that's not what that piece is saying.

Fredescu

Sure, but that's not what that piece is saying.

It makes the standing of the book store clear in the second paragraph. If a store is known for it's “ridiculously comprehensive selection", refusing to stock a book like this is a significant statement. I think the argument by the author that this constitutes "shutting down dissenters rather than taking them on in rigorous debate" is sound in this case. I think the suggestion by the author at the bottom would have been a better move than not stocking it altogether.

That said, I don't really agree with the author that the "critical importance of free speech" is necessarily fundamental to progressive politics. And I don't think I agree that it's wrong in all cases to "shut down dissenters..." (etc).

Dead Man

It makes the standing of the book store clear in the second paragraph. If a store is known for it's “ridiculously comprehensive selection", refusing to stock a book like this is a significant statement. I think the argument by the author that this constitutes "shutting down dissenters rather than taking them on in rigorous debate" is sound in this case. I think the suggestion by the author at the bottom would have been a better move than not stocking it altogether.

That said, I don't really agree with the author that the "critical importance of free speech" is necessarily fundamental to progressive politics. And I don't think I agree that it's wrong in all cases to "shut down dissenters..." (etc).

If that books store had a near monopoly it would be an equivalent point to the steam example. It doesn't. There are hundreds of thousands of books that store does not stock and it is one of a multitude of book sellers.

Fredescu

If that books store had a near monopoly it would be an equivalent point to the steam example.

A failed attempt to suppress speech is still at attempt. If you dislike the suppression of speech you should criticise both successful attempts and failed attempts. Yes, the book is a product available through other avenues, but the author is addressing people of the left for whom "they're a business, they can do what they want" is considered roundly false, but who also consider free speech fundamental to their beliefs. This has nothing to do with the effect on "the consumer". Fuck the consumer.

Not really surprising. I'd recommend everyone check out the Grundle Clivosaurus Quarterly Essay.

*whines* But ten dollars

danm999

Morrison's kind of withering on the vine here when he can't answer "operational matters" to a question.

For all the talk of him being a rising star etc, I'm not sure he's all that competent.

Dryk

The way I read it this is less about suppressing speech and telling Newman to go fuck himself since he was nowhere to be seen when bookstores needed him to survive but now that he has a book to flog he feels entitled to shelf space.

Yeah Morrison has been poor so far, really looks out of his depth. Looks like he'll turn out to be a textbook example of the Peter Principle.

The Peter principle is a concept in management theory formulated by Laurence J. Peter in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."

Fredescu

worth it! (subs worth it even more thanks to the complete ebook archive)

Hmm. Does the $40 sub get you that? This wording is confusing: "Print subscriptions now include full digital access to the website, iPhone, iPad and Android apps. Enjoy the latest edition, and over a decade's worth of agenda-setting literature. "

Is that saying the digital subscription doesn't, or the digital sub always did and the print one does now too? I assume the latter, but man. Maybe I'm just easily confused. $40 seems pretty good for all of that though.

The way I read it this is less about suppressing speech and telling Newman to go fuck himself

I mean, if you're a "premier book store in capital city with a ridiculously comprehensive selection", these are the same thing, right?

I'm not saying they're not justified in suppressing his speech, but saying his speech isn't being suppressed because he's a dick is wrong imo. I think the problem is when people want certain noble principles, like free speech in this case, to always apply across the board in every instance, when reality is more complex than that and free speech has to sit in with a bunch of other noble principles that sometimes clash.

Dryk

I'm not saying they're not justified in suppressing his speech, but saying his speech isn't being suppressed because he's a dick is wrong imo.
I'm not arguing that his speech isn't being suppressed. It's a side-effect of what they're doing but it still is. But they also don't owe him that platform.

wonzo

Banned
Hmm. Does the $40 sub get you that? This wording is confusing: "Print subscriptions now include full digital access to the website, iPhone, iPad and Android apps. Enjoy the latest edition, and over a decade's worth of agenda-setting literature. "

Is that saying the digital subscription doesn't, or the digital sub always did and the print one does now too? I assume the latter, but man. Maybe I'm just easily confused. $40 seems pretty good for all of that though.
it says "complete online access" on their digital page. i have an ongoing print sub so i can't tell what the deal is for digital subscribers but it may be worth emailing them to make sure

i do know that digital subs of the saturday paper & the monthly come with the complete archive of old issues for their respective publication

e: from the faq

Q. Can I access back issues of Quarterly Essay?

A. Every issue of the Quarterly Essay will be available to our subscribers. If you are not a subscriber, you can purchase single issues in our app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom