• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

I believe you can be unintentionally racist, but I'd honestly be pretty hard pressed trying to categorise someone as a racist if they don't know any better.
There's a severe lack of distinction between saying something racist and being a racist in current discourse. Of course which side of the line Abetz ends up on depends on how he handles being called out :p

EDIT: Whoops accidentally double-posted

D.Lo

I think it's likely Abetz is a racist, but I don't think it is a racist term, just an outdated/old fashioned one. And the SMH headline said 'racial slur'.

It may have been decided by some people it is now an offensive term (?), but is not a racist term, as I said, Martin Luthor King used it dozens of times in his most famous speech.

JC Sera

Queer used to be a severe slur
Oriental used to be the word for "from the east"
now its got a different tone, drowned in fetishism
words change meaning

Jintor

It can be a slur though. It's all contextual. I don't personally think he meant it to be a slur when he was using it that way... but...

I mean, like, take for instance calling someone a Jew. That could be descriptive, brotherly, affectionate, a group in-joke, an insult, a perjorative, accusatory...

context

D.Lo

It can be a slur though. It's all contextual. I don't personally think he meant it to be a slur when he was using it that way... but...

I mean, like, take for instance calling someone a Jew. That could be descriptive, brotherly, affectionate, a group in-joke, an insult, a perjorative, accusatory...

context
That's true, but can apply to anything. Add the word 'dirty' in front of pretty much any group name, it's now a slur.

But yes I see the point, and it's almost the one I'm making as well. The inference is that Abetz said it, therefore it must be racist. But that is not supported by the direct context, where it was clearly meant just as a racial description.

Ironically enough, his argument was actually almost literally 'see - even one of my black best friends said it' (regarding not agreeing with gay marriage).

Yrael

Whether it was an intended as a racist statement or not, it certainly makes him sound like a living fossil (like most things he says, really).

D.Lo

Yep that is true.

Anyway sorry I'll drop it. I loathe Abetz, I worked in industries under his previous portfolio.

Employment services under him (and his inbred assistant minister) was redistributed to big foreign business, and bent backward to meet their inane 'work for the dole' goals. And they were both supremely unimpressive people in terms of understanding what they were in charge of.

Shaneus

Some of the annoying conservationist stuff the Greens do: http://davidshoebridge.org.au/2015/...nkstown-urban-renewal-corridor-have-your-say/

High density housing around public transport is good. More housing supply is good. Forcing low income people further away from their jobs is not worth the price of retaining "historic town centres."
Sorry, can't really agree with you there. Unless public transport is an absolute turd (and significantly worse than it is in Melbourne) then there are always alternatives to demolishing historic buildings. I just don't think increasing population density is good for anyone or any number of the services (like schools, medical facilities) that would be severely impacted.

But I don't know the area though and maybe those things aren't as much of an issue as much as they tend to be elsewhere.

By the way, it's not strictly political, but the whole Goodes saga with the DJs thing is pretty great since apparently a bunch of people who were just worried about football are just, you know... I dunno
Yeah, I'm actually glad it all happened. I know several people who say they were booing (or sympathising, at least) because of his playing style (as much as I *didn't* agree) but no-one can defend the things the out-and-out bigots are saying now. Thank fuck all these closet racists have been flushed out.

Fredescu

Unless public transport is an absolute turd (and significantly worse than it is in Melbourne)

Sydney public transport, and transport in general, is significantly worse than it is in Melbourne.

I just don't think increasing population density is good for anyone or any number of the services (like schools, medical facilities) that would be severely impacted.

Lower population density drives up property prices and you may have heard a thing or two about Sydney property prices lately. If those services were going to be impacted, you might want to put together a comphensive plan that involves those services. Like this for example: http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/en/P...~/media/C5A71CB412194A4F92A94B5081A930FE.ashx

Jintor

Kinda want to move to Melbourne for a bit actually, wonder if it's feasible. Not sure what to do after this gig is up right now.

But yeah... Sydney public transport is fucking balls.

Fredescu

So you've never been to Sydney?

There's a big difference between visiting and living here too. There is a functioning transport system that probably works for a visit, but having to find a place to live and find a place to work is a completely different experience.

D.Lo

There's a big difference between visiting and living here too. There is a functioning transport system that probably works for a visit, but having to find a place to live and find a place to work is a completely different experience.
Yeah, vistors don't need to get from Hurstville to Strathfield etc.

Jintor

God even living here in the Japanese countryside where I have to trip across three or four different train providers depending on where I'm going is more reliable than goddamn cityrail

Rubixcuba

Banned
Any Drones fans here? Gareth Liddiard gave interview in the Guardian about new song, choice quote:

But he has plenty of firepower left to direct at an ineffectual Australian left that he says somewhere along the line lost its toughness. “I’m not going to wait for some leftwing humanities professor to explain in extremely complicated language suspended on tenterhooks why being racist is fucked. I’m just going to say racism is fucked. Sometimes a bull in a china shop is a good thing. It’s OK to be loud and obvious, and you can tell people to get fucked.

“It’s time leftwingers grew some balls. You don’t have to be clever about it – just grow some hairy ones.”

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/23/gareth-liddiard-of-the-drones-its-time-leftwingers-grew-some-balls?CMP=soc_567

The song, pretty brutal on contemporary Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkgaCRII7I

Shaneus

So you've never been to Sydney?

PT is abominable in Sydney.
Wouldn't have queried my statement if I'd had a bad experience with it. Was fine when I was there a few months ago, did the job quite well.

Sydney public transport, and transport in general, is significantly worse than it is in Melbourne.

Lower population density drives up property prices and you may have heard a thing or two about Sydney property prices lately. If those services were going to be impacted, you might want to put together a comphensive plan that involves those services. Like this for example: http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/en/P...~/media/C5A71CB412194A4F92A94B5081A930FE.ashx
Fair enough, then! I'm just erring more on the side of "if it can be preserved and is of historical significance, it should be". If there's a plan and the people behind it aren't infrastructure ignorami, then it's all good. I'm just over the whole infrastructure, infrastructure, development, development spiel that happens everywhere because apparently it's the solution to everything ever.

legend166

Some of the annoying conservationist stuff the Greens do: http://davidshoebridge.org.au/2015/...nkstown-urban-renewal-corridor-have-your-say/

High density housing around public transport is good. More housing supply is good. Forcing low income people further away from their jobs is not worth the price of retaining "historic town centres."

It's funny, because the idea that something has intrinsic value simply because it's old is a purely conservative standpoint. And yet!

The thing about Sydney public transport is that the quality of it can change dramatically depending where you are. I'm actually in a really good spot. The express from Emu Plains to Central is great - about 52 minutes. That's less than it took me on the bus from Collaroy on the Northern Beaches when I was going to UTS, but about three times the distance.

A fast train from Emu Plains to Central would be awesome though.

Latest Morgan Leadership poll. OK it's not Essential or Newspoll but holy moley, time to walk Bill when even Swanny is preferred ahead of you.

Preferred PM: Turnbull 76 (+6) Shorten 14 (-10).
Preferred L/NP Leader: Turnbull 64 (+20) Bishop 12 (-3) Abbott 8 (-5) Morrison 4 (-1) .
Preferred ALP Leader: Shorten 9 (-3) Plibersek 27 (+1) Albanese 23 (+4) Swan 10 (0).
Turnbull: Approve 66 (+32 compared to Abbott) Disapprove 16 (-43).
Shorten: Approve 25 (+1) Disapprove 62 (+2)

Apparently Turnbull hit 14% post Godwin Grech, but Rudd was never that high in response.

Fredescu

It's funny, because the idea that something has intrinsic value simply because it's old is a purely conservative standpoint. And yet!

It is, which is why there are plenty of old school conservative greenies.They're just not a political force because money gives you political power, so being anti development isn't going to get you as far as being business friendly does. There are lots of conservatives pissed off about climate change denial too. I follow a Tory MP John Deben on Twitter: https://twitter.com/lorddeben . Obviously I don't agree with a lot of what he has to say, but where's the fun in just following people you agree with, and he's highly critical of the Harpers and Abbotts of the world for their position on climate change.

D.Lo

Latest Morgan Leadership poll. OK it's not Essential or Newspoll but holy moley, time to walk Bill when even Swanny is preferred ahead of you.

Apparently Turnbull hit 14% post Godwin Grech, but Rudd was never that high in response.
hey at least Shorten beat Abbott lol!

Just amazing really. Our two options for two years were pretty much the least popular possible.

bomma_man

It is, which is why there are plenty of old school conservative greenies.They're just not a political force because money gives you political power, so being anti development isn't going to get you as far as being business friendly does. There are lots of conservatives pissed off about climate change denial too. I follow a Tory MP John Deben on Twitter: https://twitter.com/lorddeben . Obviously I don't agree with a lot of what he has to say, but where's the fun in just following people you agree with, and he's highly critical of the Harpers and Abbotts of the world for their position on climate change.

Although teddy Roosevelt was progressive for his day in a lot of his areas, his environmental policy, which lead to the creation of the first national parks, were openly based on conservative values.
and, he really liked shooting shit

One of the interesting results of Abbott's removal was the voting intentions of people in his electorate. There were some vox pops after the deed and there were plenty of people saying they would jump ship from Liberal to The Greens, a few people who would look for a further right wing party and pretty much no one who'd consider Labor. Though going on the numbers they are firmly back in the Coalition camp.

I think it shows that while the membership is very right wing, the vast majority of people who vote coalition are far more moderate but have been so poisoned against the ALP they would never even consider them. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Greens go hard at the North Sydney by-election, hell until Turnbull became PM The Greens though they had a great chance of winning Peter Costello's blue ribbon old seat and now Kelly O'Dwyer's. I also fear for Plibersek and Albo at the next federal election if Turnbull maintains his popularity, they'll both lose to The Greens with Liberal preferences.

One of the interesting results of Abbott's removal was the voting intentions of people in his electorate. There were some vox pops after the deed and there were plenty of people saying they would jump ship from Liberal to The Greens, a few people who would look for a further right wing party and pretty much no one who'd consider Labor. Though going on the numbers they are firmly back in the Coalition camp.

I think it shows that while the membership is very right wing, the vast majority of people who vote coalition are far more moderate but have been so poisoned against the ALP they would never even consider them. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Greens go hard at the North Sydney by-election, hell until Turnbull became PM The Greens though they had a great chance of winning Peter Costello's blue ribbon old seat and now Kelly O'Dwyer's. I also fear for Plibersek and Albo at the next federal election if Turnbull maintains his popularity, they'll both lose to The Greens with Liberal preferences.

Its pretty rare for the Liberals to preference the Greens these days (they stopped doing it when the Greens started winning Senate seats and then acted even more Left-wing than Labor (shock)). Though yeah I could see them making an exception to cost Pilbersek or Albonese their seats (though its not something Abbott ever would have accepted).

And yes there certainly are conservatives who have absolutely bizarre ideas about the Labor Party (my mother remembers my grandfather talking about fleeing the country during the Whitlam saga. It'd be hard for that to not have an effect on you). Though you'd think the last 10 yeas of conservative push again the "Labor-Greens alliance" and the Greens would ameliorate the tendency to jump to the Greens.

wonzo

Banned
yeah liberal leaning voters going straight to the greens without even thinking of the alp is a far more common occurrence than you'd think it is. it's also the only thing that'll get the greens vote up in any substantive number in the short term

yeah liberal leaning voters going straight to the greens without even thinking of the alp is a far more common occurrence than you'd think it is. it's also the only thing that'll get the greens vote up in any substantive number in the short term

It does make you wonder what exactly they are voting for though. I mean its not even an anti-Union vote in terms of policy stance the Greens are usually at least as pro-Union as Labor. In terms of membership they are far less so (since the Greens are far more white collar proportionally). It's like they are voting against Labor specifically. And I say that as someone who jumped from the Coalition to the Greens myself but that's because my family was conservative and when I started actually following politics myself my views were much more aligned with the Greens but that's a one off leap not a swing vote.

Yep. Wonder how much of it is an effective "Honeymoon Period" and how much of it is that the ALP don't seem to have developed an effective strategy to counter the loss of the Not Tony Abbott factor.

Yrael

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...argaret-thatcher-lecture-20151027-gkk9cj.html

Two of Australia's leading Catholic priests say they are "appalled, ashamed and offended" that former prime minister Tony Abbott would cite the Bible on the world stage to argue for anti-immigration measures.
Mr Abbott on Wednesday morning told the Margaret Thatcher Lecture in London that world leaders should follow his example and turn boats around and deny asylum seekers entry.
Mr Abbott, a former trainee priest and devout Catholic, urged Tory ministers to ignore their consciences and the "wholesome instinct" to love thy neighbour, as is preached to Catholics in the Bible.
"It will require some force," he warned.
"It will gnaw at our consciences, yet it is the only way to prevent a tide of humanity surging through Europe and quite possibly changing it forever.
"This wholesome instinct [to love thy neighbour] is leading Europe to catastrophic error," he declared.
Catholics consider the New Testament teaching to "love thy neighbour as thyself" as one of the Bible's central messages.
Retired Bishop Pat Power told Fairfax Media he was "absolutely astounded" and "appalled" by Mr Abbott's use of the Bible to preach a "narrow-minded" and "hard-hearted" approach to some of the world's most vulnerable people.
"I'm ashamed that a former Australian PM would be putting out a message like this," he said.
"People will make their own judgements but that's completely at odds with what's at the heart of Christianity. I'm certainly offended."
He said asylum seeker issues were complex but noted Australia's "history of compassion" and acceptance of refugees in the past had improved the country as a whole.
Human Rights lawyer and Jesuit priest Frank Brennan joined Bishop Power in condemning Mr Abbott's speech.
Both cited Pope Francis' first visit outside Rome to the Italian migrant island Lampedusa in 2013, where he called for a "reawakening of consciences".
"We have lost a sense of brotherly responsibility," the Pope said at the time.
Father Brennan said the parable of the Good Samaritan was "just as relevant" as it had ever been in relation to the plight of asylum seekers and said Mr Abbott's advice for European leaders was simplistic and wrong.
He said that, while Australia could return asylum seekers to Indonesia because they were not fleeing direct persecution, no European leader could return asylum seekers to Libya with a straight face.
"Mr Abbott is confusing the situation regarding Australia," he said.
He also said Mr Abbott lacked the credentials to preach to the rest of the world because he had not resolved human rights breaches in detention camps on Nauru and Papua New Guinea.

[..]

danm999

He has got to beat that awful drum in his post PM life as his legacy. It's his only tangible achievement.

He can't wander the world boasting about how he repealed a tax and one of his Ministers negotiated a bunch of trade deals his successor will implement.

Yrael

He has got to beat that awful drum in his post PM life as his legacy. It's his only tangible achievement.

He can't wander the world boasting about how he repealed a tax and one of his Ministers negotiated a bunch of trade deals his successor will implement.

Even as an ex-PM, he's still living up to his reputation as international embarrassment. >_>

danm999

Maybe he and Stephen Harper can fuck off somewhere and console each other about how their electorates just didn't get it.

Then Harper can mock Abbott for not having lasted even two years.

Fredescu

It's nice to know he's as awful at being a Christian as he is at being a Prime Minister

CSYzrgYVAAAukqz.jpg

JC Sera

The interests of capital have gone from being lead by a stupid bully, to a man with wit and charm and (probably) dashing good looks. We're so very fucked.
that is very well summarized

and the stupid bully is selling his human right violating bullshit overseas now that hes "succeeded" here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom