• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

and the stupid bully is selling his human right violating bullshit overseas now that hes "succeeded" here

It pretty sad that he's convinced himself of his own morality and is now shopping around for supporters, which don't seem to be very forthcoming. I wonder if he's going to have an "are we the bad guys?" moment.

Quasar

Chatter about lowering the voting age.

I'll admit I'd be in favour on principle I think. Need something to balance the aging population of voters and what impact that has on policy. Maybe if younger people were a larger voting block you'd get more action there and less pandering to pensioners. Also I don't find it unreasonable for younger tax payers to have a say on where their money is going.

D.Lo

Chatter about lowering the voting age.

I'll admit I'd be in favour on principle I think. Need something to balance the aging population of voters and what impact that has on policy. Maybe if younger people were a larger voting block you'd get more action there and less pandering to pensioners. Also I don't find it unreasonable for younger tax payers to have a say on where their money is going.
Good points, the baby boomer block will demand and get more free stuff for years.

My immediate reaction was 'of all the things people want, this is pretty low on the list' though.

It kind of makes sense for only tax payers to vote in a sense, an elderly person can be equally as dependant as a child, but as a block they get to vote for their own best interests against other groups, including children, when children don't. But that can get complicated.

Good points, the baby boomer block will demand and get more free stuff for years.

My immediate reaction was 'of all the things people want, this is pretty low on the list' though.

It kind of makes sense for only tax payers to vote in a sense, an elderly person can be equally as dependant as a child, but as a block they get to vote for their own best interests against other groups, including children, when children don't. But that can get complicated.

You'd disallow a lot of voters if you used any sensible definition of taxpayer (ie net pay in rather than ranting about welfare leeches by people who get more out than they put in).

It's not really a surprise when every loud mouth idiot on Radio denies it, the largest Newspapers deny it and the majority of the government deny it and even those that accept the science are hamstrung by idiots. For idiots read National Party, the most useless party in history.

There was a great moment a couple of months ago that came out of the Tasmanian Liberal Party conference where they made a resolution to abandon any attempt to mitigate Climate Change, called at bullshit, and then said if, and only if, it happens to adapt.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-06/liberal-party-members-urged-to-back-online-sharing-services/6753048

Dead Man

Which comes hot on the heels of : http://www.theguardian.com/australi...kers-on-manus-island-struck-by-food-poisoning
Food poisoning has struck Australia’s detention centre on Manus Island, with up to 100 asylum seekers and refugees in detention struck by diarrhoea and vomiting.

The outbreak appears confined to Delta compound.

“The medical centre was full of Delta guys,” one refugee told Guardian Australia. “They sent them in five groups there, they gave them medication and sent them back because there’s not enough space down in the clinic.”

Food has been an ongoing issue for the men in detention, with some complaining it is “inedible”.

They allege when visitors arrive at the centre – department officials, ministers, human rights groups – the food temporarily improves, before reverting.

Dryk

There was a great moment a couple of months ago that came out of the Tasmanian Liberal Party conference where they made a resolution to abandon any attempt to mitigate Climate Change, called at bullshit, and then said if, and only if, it happens to adapt
The Fiscally Responsible Party

Shaneus

So um did anything actually happen with regard to that group subscription to Crikey ?
I was organising it, but funds became stupidly tight with having to drop money on house-related stuff. I'm happy if someone else wants to pick it up, otherwise it might be another month or two before I can get to it again.

Ludlam's always awesome. I can't not listen to him talk about anything for hours. At PAX Aus, he nailed his role as token politician in a discussion on the Australian games industry.

PAX was a very friendly crowd for him. Ludlam basically got applauded for existing at that panel during introductions. And from what I heard it was the same at the DragonFriends session too. Not that I disagree with him on most things but I did feel kind of bad for his fellow panelists.

Quasar

I'd certainly find that reppellant. Only having some citizens allowed to vote. Makes me think of Starship Troopers in some weird way.

Arksy

Apologies to everyone here, I've been around, but I've lost my passion and love for politics and ideological debates for the moment.

Mild derailment and sad story, feel free to ignore.

About two weeks ago, a friend from high school took his own life. I'd kept in contact with him the ten years since we left up until maybe two to three years ago and haven't seen him much in the intervening period. I don't even know if I should be posting it here, but I kinda need to get it off my chest, and feel like this is the most appropriate spot considering this is basically my home on NeoGAF. The loss has hit me pretty damn hard. I've suffered from depression in my life, when I was a lot younger and I remember the depths of helplessness one can feel. I feel a bit numb, and guilty that I hadn't spoken to him in a while. Crazy thoughts that seem too real nonetheless. I could go on for hours and hours but I really shouldn't. If you do end up reading this the only thing I want to say is to keep well and seek help whenever you need it. I'm fine, just grieving I guess...seeing the speech of the school captain from New Zealand who's just been diagnosed with cancer kind of tore the wound open a little.

Dryk

GST v Carbon Tax election title-fight guys! Get keen!

Here for you, man. You're the token intelligent liberal, we need you around.
Yeah this thread really isn't the same without you, even if you want to pull back from weighing in we'll be here for you

wonzo

Banned
screenshot2015-11-10akxrlv.png

that turnaround!

Yagharek

Regarding immigration discussion, here is an interesting article

http://i100.independent.co.uk/artic...icles-with-actual-nazi-propaganda--Zy4ccsnBEx

They posted quotes from Nazi propaganda on news websites to see how many people today agree with the exact same sentiment, if directed at immigrants rather than Jews.

The results, as one might expect, are frightening.

TL;DR: They get up-voted... a lot

We've highlighted how in the last few weeks, media coverage of migration into Europe has become increasingly alarmist, not helped by our prime minister using language more associated with the far-right.

The anti-migrant sentiment expressed in some papers became too much for the people behind the @bestofthemail and @dmreporter Twitter accounts, who prefer to remain anonymous.

In a post on Medium, they detailed an experiment conducted on the comments section of the Daily Mail website to show the dangers of this dehumanising language becoming normalised.

They wrote:

[We] wanted to see what level of support the comments would get if we took some famous pieces of Nazi propaganda and changed the word 'Jew' with 'migrant'.

Here's what happened:

Yagharek

And take care Arksy. You're a respected chap here no matter how many times we butt heads.

I would suggest if you feel the need, go see a counsellor. If money is tight then I think you can get up to 10 sessions under medicare with a GP referral. Don't be afraid to seek help yourself, and make sure you don't bottle it up.

Jintor

Regarding immigration discussion, here is an interesting article

http://i100.independent.co.uk/artic...icles-with-actual-nazi-propaganda--Zy4ccsnBEx

They posted quotes from Nazi propaganda on news websites to see how many people today agree with the exact same sentiment, if directed at immigrants rather than Jews.

The results, as one might expect, are frightening.

I dunno, those are pretty small numbers overall. Given that it's already from the Mail, that's actually less support for blatent nazism than I would expect

bomma_man

And take care Arksy. You're a respected chap here no matter how many times we butt heads.

I would suggest if you feel the need, go see a counsellor. If money is tight then I think you can get up to 10 sessions under medicare with a GP referral. Don't be afraid to seek help yourself, and make sure you don't bottle it up.

My GF is a psych and you are correct.

bomma_man

My wife is a psych and take it from me; you never win.

My pedantic lawyery arse is slowly breaking her spirit.

Talking about that, the Tasmanian government recently funded a program where they were going to give $15,000 each to ten law firms if they hired a graduate.

One firm took up the offer.

lol supply side economics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom