• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe people can say "I'm not discriminatory" with one side of their face and then say "But you can't get married, only same-sex unioned" with the other. That's pretty much the fucking definition of discrimination right there. Even if we existed in a perfect world where civil unions were legally treated the same as marriage, which they aren't for the record, it still wouldn't be the same because you'd be denying them access to the word 'marriage', you gormless, spineless gits.

Failed by one vote, btw. Unsurprising given the federalist issues.

/edit and there's this fucking guy

Wow, my blood is boiling so hot I don't think I have a response to that that isn't a violent chain of swears. Ugh.

wonzo

Banned
I can't believe people can say "I'm not discriminatory" with one side of their face and then say "But you can't get married, only same-sex unioned" with the other. That's pretty much the fucking definition of discrimination right there. Even if we existed in a perfect world where civil unions were legally treated the same as marriage, which they aren't for the record, it still wouldn't be the same because you'd be denying them access to the word 'marriage', you gormless, spineless gits.

Failed by one vote, btw. Unsurprising given the federalist issues.

/edit and there's this fucking guy
Saw your post pre-edit so I missed that bit. It must take some amazing self-control to not name the person responsible for that awful letter, esp. given the power they wield.

Shandy

Whoa. I don't get worked up about people not liking gays, I can't, it'd be impossible to function. But not naming him? If this guy signed the letter, he clearly wants this opinion to be attached to him. If there are consequences to that, let him bear them.

What a vile human being.

Tony Abbott complained Leigh Sales was using loaded language last night on 7:30, then immediately asks 'You'd like to stop these boats Leigh surely'. -_-

wonzo

Banned
Asylum seeker separated from her sick newborn in Brisbane
An asylum seeker who was moved off Nauru to give birth is being locked up for 18 hours a day in a detention centre in Brisbane while her week-old baby remains in hospital.

The case of Latifa, a 31-year-old woman of the persecuted Rohingya people of Myanmar, has shocked churches and refugee advocates. She was separated from her baby on Sunday, four days after a caesarean delivery, and has since been allowed to visit him only between 10am and 4pm in Brisbane's Mater Hospital.

The boy, named Farus, has respiratory problems and needs constant medical care.

Latifa is confined to the Brisbane Immigration Transit Accommodation, 20 minutes away, where her husband and two children, four and seven, are being held.

Latifa's husband, Niza, is not allowed to visit the child at all, according to people in daily contact with the family.

Misha Coleman, a qualified midwife and executive officer of the Churches Refugee Taskforce, said the separation of mother and child marked a worrying development in the government's hardline asylum seeker policy. ''As a midwife this is the most diabolical situation for a mother and a newborn one could imagine,'' she said.

Ms Coleman said she had not heard of mothers being separated in this way. ''Maybe back in the Howard days but not since then have babies been separated from their mothers. I can't see any reason why this woman should be kept from her sick baby.''
compassionate conservatism

wonzo

Banned
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-1...dustry/5094014

Such complete and utter bollocks. I wonder, what would actually happen if politicians decided to say fuck the car industry? Is protecting it seriously a vote winning strategy?

EDIT: and we've been moved to community, Awesome!
The car industry here's pretty much on its last legs and it might be for the best to swallow the bullet sooner rather than later and reinvest the funds into more lucrative and sustainable forms of manufacturing.

but CARSCARSCARSCARSCARSCARSCARSCARSCARS *guts public transport funding, shits out roads everywhere*

Arksy

I don't think there's a car industry in any country that isn't at least partly subsidised by the local government. People forget that there are very important strategic/security reasons for having large manufacturing plants in a country. Such plants are easy to convert into plants making tanks/trucks/etc.

But yes CARSCARSCARSCARS. :p

markot

Banned
Nice to see Tony ignore war crimes in sri Lanka and keep on about the people smuggling and making Cameron look human in comparison.

Jintor

awww yeah, that's right, let's sign a military deal with the guys who half the refugees are fleeing from in the first place. that'll solve the fucking problem

Dryk

Now we're getting to the heart of the issue! We'll stop the boats by preventing refugees from fleeting their own countries! That'll teach them! How dare they fucking value their own lives.
You're only a Real Refugee™ if you flee by land. Sri Lankans are just shit out of luck and shouldn't've been born on an island if they wanted to be refugees when they grew up.

Jintor

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/bikies-at-trial-ordered-to-leave/2083819/

THREE bikies waiting to testify in a trial in a Maroochydore Magistrates Court were ordered by a police sergeant to disperse from the area or face possible jail.

The order is a sobering side effect of the State Government's new anti-association laws.

"Basically, they were told they would be arrested if they didn't get out of the courthouse," Tony Jardine, of the Rebels' Sunshine Coast Chapter, said.

lol what

You're only a Real Refugee™ if you flee by land. Sri Lankans are just shit out of luck and shouldn't've been born on an island if they wanted to be refugees when they grew up.

Or plane, if you can afford a plane ticket you're golden

Arksy

I'm going to use my constitutional expertise* to call those cases now. Feel free to call me up on them later.

1. Same sex marriage: Either way this will probably be a new benchmark for covering the field cases. I have a sinking feeling the Feds will win this. Call: unconstitutional.

2. Bikie Laws. On the face of it and all the previous case law regarding SoP they're constitutional but the High Court has a knack for surprising us with new doctrines in the face of laws that go way too far. This is the hardest to guess. But I'll say: Constitutional as it doesn't there simply isn't a doctrine of SoP at a state level. Hopefully they invoke Kirk or something.

3. Political donations. Unconstitutional. They won't go anywhere near citizens united but a blanket ban on corps and unions? Lol.

I also should mention that this will be the first time in a while that Labor appointees control a majority on the bench. Although what that will mean is unclear. Our judges have for the most part an excellent track record for judging on the merits of the case.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So Tomorrow when the War began is going start becoming a reality because of Tony "fucking" Abbott?!

Dryk

Let's be fair. This spying was done under the previous government, it's only the foot-in-mouth instead of appeasement problem that stems from the current one.

wonzo

Banned
Let's be fair. This spying was done under the previous government, it's only the foot-in-mouth instead of appeasement problem that stems from the current one.
I think it's less the spying itself (because theres no way Indonesia doesn't do that shit too) and more the way the current government's handling the response to it.

Saying that, I doubt it would've been much different if Bob Carr was still Foreign Minister when this came to light given his childlike whinings about the US.

Dryk

I think it's less the spying itself (because theres no way Indonesia doesn't do that shit too) and more the way the current government's handling the response to it.
The current government's handling of most diplomatic matters has been underwhelming so far. And by underwhelming I mean most likely damaging.

wonzo

Banned
The current government's handling of most diplomatic matters has been underwhelming so far. And by underwhelming I mean most likely damaging.
Let's just be glad Alexander Downer's in no position of power when it comes to diplomatic matters anymore.

bomma_man

I'm going to use my constitutional expertise* to call those cases now. Feel free to call me up on them later.

1. Same sex marriage: Either way this will probably be a new benchmark for covering the field cases. I have a sinking feeling the Feds will win this. Call: unconstitutional.

2. Bikie Laws. On the face of it and all the previous case law regarding SoP they're constitutional but the High Court has a knack for surprising us with new doctrines in the face of laws that go way too far. This is the hardest to guess. But I'll say: Constitutional as it doesn't there simply isn't a doctrine of SoP at a state level. Hopefully they invoke Kirk or something.

3. Political donations. Unconstitutional. They won't go anywhere near citizens united but a blanket ban on corps and unions? Lol.

I also should mention that this will be the first time in a while that Labor appointees control a majority on the bench. Although what that will mean is unclear. Our judges have for the most part an excellent track record for judging on the merits of the case.

I'm not sure that we're exactly dealing with an eighties style Labor court (sadly) so I'm pretty pesemistic regarding extending doctrines. They've been pretty wishy washy about a lot of things (Pape is forefront of my mind).

I have mixed feelings about about the political contributions law. It seems like the right policy for the wrong reasons. But I guess you could say that about most laws.

Arksy

I'm not sure that we're exactly dealing with an eighties style Labor court (sadly) so I'm pretty pesemistic regarding extending doctrines. They've been pretty wishy washy about a lot of things (Pape is forefront of my mind).

I have mixed feelings about about the political contributions law. It seems like the right policy for the wrong reasons. But I guess you could say that about most laws.

You do the Mason and Brennan courts a massive disservice by calling them Labor courts.

ABC stars salary leak -> Here (The Australian)

I suspect this will be used by the government to bash the evil left wing government funded ABC. Chris Pyne's high pitched moaning can't be too far away.

Of course they will ignore the fact that the ABC is the only media organisation in Australia that is legally required to be neutral and any perceived breach of impartiality is thoroughly investigated won't matter to the Tories.

wonzo

Banned
ABC stars salary leak -> Here (The Australian)

I suspect this will be used by the government to bash the evil left wing government funded ABC. Chris Pyne's high pitched moaning can't be to far away.

Of course they will ignore the fact that the ABC is the only media organisation in Australia that is legally required to be neutral and any perceived breach of impartiality is thoroughly investigated won't matter to the Tories.
Here's the pdf links:

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2013/11/19/1226763/755931-aus-news-file-abc-salaries.pdf
http://resources.news.com.au/files/...982-aus-news-file-top-abc-salaries-part-2.pdf

Myansie

Let's just be glad Alexander Downer's in no position of power when it comes to diplomatic matters anymore.

Downer's written an article in the Australian about it. I haven't read it due to the pay wall, but from reading around it sounds like he is downplaying the need for such spying and by extension the need to act tough. He makes the point that all people talk about on the phone is what's for dinner and what the kids are up to.

wonzo

Banned
Downer's written an article in the Australian about it. I haven't read it due to the pay wall, but from reading around it sounds like he is downplaying the need for such spying and by extension the need to act tough. He makes the point that all people talk about on the phone is what's for dinner and what the kids are up to.
otoh
THE Guardian has been in possession of the Snowden intelligence documents for several months but its Australian arm only last week received material alleging Australia targeted the Indonesian President's phone, Guardian Australia editor-in-chief Katharine Viner says.

As ex-foreign minister Alexander Downer slammed The Guardian's behaviour in reporting the content of the documents and triggering a crisis in Australia's ties with Indonesia as "contemptible", Viner defended the decision to share the story with the ABC.

Mondy

Banned
Copy pasta from AusGAF:

In light of the drama going on with Indonesia and the spying revelations, Julie Bishop has pulled out of her scheduled appearance on Q&A next Monday night.

Government transparency? What's that???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom