• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Getting a bit sick of the people on Facebook declaring the ABC traitors in the wake of the phonetapping thing. That said that kind of nationalism baffles me to begin with.

For what its worth it baffles me too.

I mean I can theoretically understand that kind of nationalism from someone who chose to live here but owing that kind of over the top loyalty to a place random chance saw your born is just plain bizarre.

Mondy

Banned
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-...-in-first-nielsen-poll-since-election/5113798

Federal Labor has moved to a four-point lead over the Coalition Government on a two-party preferred basis in the first Fairfax-Nielsen poll since the September 7 election.

Pollster John Stirton says the turnaround is a surprise because government's tend to poll "quite strongly" in their first year.

"It is a surprising result and I think in that case it's always wise to wait and see if it's confirmed by further polling," he told the ABC's AM program.

"But it does suggest that the Abbott Government is having one of the shortest honeymoons probably in history.

"It's unusual for a government to go behind so early in its term and that's what appears to have happened here, but we need to wait and see if it's confirmed."

Labor's primary support has also risen four points to 37 per cent while the Coalition's support before preferences has fallen five points to 41 per cent.
Audio: Nielsen pollster says latest survey result is 'surprising' (AM)

However, the poll also shows Tony Abbott leads Bill Shorten as preferred prime minister, 49 to 41 per cent.

Respondents' opinion of Mr Abbott's performance in the job though is neatly split in the poll, with a 47 per cent approval rating against a 46 per cent disapproval rating.

Mr Stirton says the Prime Minister's relatively high disapproval rating adds weight to the theory that voters were determined to get rid of Labor.

"The main reason for the change of government was voters were not happy with Labor, they didn't want Rudd, they didn't want Gillard. They wanted out," he said.

"And there was some reluctance to support the Coalition - and Tony Abbott was the least popular opposition leader ever to be elected to the prime ministership."

The poll of 1,400 people from Thursday to Saturday has a margin of error of 2.6 per cent.

This turnaround didn't happen gradually over the first couple of months. This is Australia's way of saying "we never wanted you, we just wanted to teach Labor a lesson."

wonzo

Banned
It's most likely an outlier as the past few Essential polls have shown the coalition with a 53-47 lead but I guess we'll find out if this is (hopefully) true or not with today's Essential and whenever Newspoll shits out another one.

e: crikey's pollbludger now has a brand new bludgetracker for our post abbott-victory worldhellscape!

bludgertrack-2013-11-21.png

(note this doesnt include todays nielsen poll)

Having read pollbludger it seems the results were skewed by well outside of the margin swings to the ALP in WA and QLD. While I imagine the polls have narrowed a bit since the election, this result looks a little out there!

In other political news, a big congratulations to the people of Geelong who voted in this complete fuckstick as mayor:
Bhxb4ph.jpg

I can only hope that he screws up as badly as that Canadian mayor. Shit would be hilarious.

Free ridiculous ab implants for all citizens!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
In foreign affairs news, Australia's position has shifted from condemning Israeli settlements under to Labor to abstaining from the issue.

Having read pollbludger it seems the results were skewed by well outside of the margin swings to the ALP in WA and QLD. While I imagine the polls have narrowed a bit since the election, this result looks a little out there!

Free ridiculous ab implants for all citizens!
Oh wow, that's that guy?
I live in the area and I am not happy.
Good luck, hopefully he'll crash and burn relatively swiftly.

Mondy

Banned
I still question the wisdom in allowing the LNP to cripple much of our education, science and infrastructure in order to teach Labor not the fight amongst themselves.

Perhaps most people thought they had no other choice and somehow accepted that the LNP were always going to win.

Arksy

In truth, we Australians are a reactionary lot who hate the government of the day , whoever it is. Although the speed of the change is surprising. Will wait for more polls!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I think there have been a few odd polls putting the Coalition behind since the election, so I'm not going to read too much into any one in particular. This government having a short to non-existent honeymoon period is hardly surprising (to me) though, even without the adversity it has faced.

Today in Queensland:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...ion-watchdog-cmc/story-e6frgczx-1226765767563

THE Queensland government now has the majority of members on a new committee that replaces the one it sacked en masse overnight.

Overnight, the government used its massive majority to sack the cross-party committee that oversees the Parliamentary Crime and Misconduct Committee (PCMC).

Liberal National Party MPs now hold four of the seven spots. One of those four, Capalaba MP Steve Davies, is also the chairman.

He replaces independent MP Liz Cunningham, who was sacked overnight along with the six other members of the cross-party committee.

The government says it had to dismiss the original PCMC because members had shown bias against the acting chairman of the Crime and Misconduct Commission, Ken Levy.

The original committee had been investigating whether Dr Levy gave misleading evidence about his contact with the government before he wrote a newspaper article backing controversial new bikie laws.

The government said some of the original committee members had shown clear bias by calling for Dr Levy to quit before its investigations were complete.

The Levy investigation will now fall to a new Select Committee on Ethics, comprising four government and three non-government MPs.

I still question the wisdom in allowing the LNP to cripple much of our education, science and infrastructure in order to teach Labor not the fight amongst themselves.

Yeah :|

wonzo

Banned
The Australian reports that the latest Newspoll has the Coalition leading 52-48, down from 53-47 a fortnight ago, from primary votes of 43% for the Coalition (down two), 35% for Labor (up three) and 10% for the Greens (down two). Kevin Bonham in comments observes that Newspoll is still using 2010 preferences, and believes the result may have been 51-49 off those of the September election. More to follow.

UPDATE: GhostWhoVotes relates Tony Abbott’s approval rating is down three to 42% and his disapproval is up four to 42%, while Bill Shorten is respectively up two to 39% and up three to 27% (a considerably more modest result than his 51% and 30% from Nielsen). Abbott’s lead as preferred prime minister has narrowed from 46-30 to 44-33.

Tomorrow should bring the weekly Essential Research fortnightly aggregate, which we learned today has Labor up a point on the primary vote to 36% but the Coalition two-party preferred lead steady at 53-47, and primary votes from the ReachTEL poll conducted on Thursday night, which Channel Seven this evening reported as having the Coalition leading 51-49.

from pollbludger

Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-...l-funding-needs-overhaul2c-despite-st/5116978
Federal Education Minister Christopher Pyne is sticking to his guns on a new school funding model, despite being at odds with the states and territories that have signed up to the former Labor government's reforms.

The Coalition believes the so-called Gonski model negotiated by Labor is too complicated, with Mr Pyne describing it as "a complete shambles" and "an incomprehensible mess".

The federal minister is looking to put in place a new system using the same amount of funding promised by Labor over four years.

New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia all insist that agreements for funding over the next six years have already been signed off and they must be honoured.

Mr Pyne says the Government will honour funding for 2014 but beyond that, a new model will be implemented.

Anyone willing to bet against less public funds for public schools and more for private?

Dead Man

UNITY TICKET ON EDUCATION.

Yeah, so much for that.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...-funding-promise/story-fn59nlz9-1226768676817
EDUCATION Minister Christopher Pyne has walked away from a pre-election pledge to match promised Labor funding for every school.

Mr Pyne said the Coalition would match the overall “funding envelope” promised by Labor, but distribution of the funds could change.

He said the Gonski school funding model would continue in 2014, so as not to disrupt the school year, but he would draw up a new funding system in time for the first day of school in 2015, based on the Howard government's old socio-economic status model.

Just over a week before the September election, Mr Pyne promised: “You can vote Liberal or Labor and you'll get exactly the same amount of funding for your school.”

Today, he conceded that might not be the case.

“We will have exactly the same funding envelope available, and we will work through with the states and territories to ensure that is equitably distributed,” he said.

Mr Pyne, who claimed to be on a “unity ticket” with Labor on school funding before the election, today said the Gonski model was a “shambles” and “unimplementable”.

Utter crock of shit. Anyone who votes for these fuckheads next time around is a moron.

Dead Man

Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

Pretty much. I will make allowances for people that genuinely thought a Labor government would be worse, or who agreed with something sensible that the Libs said. However, given their abysmal record of breaking commitments and a lack of transparency already, I can only label people who vote twice for Abbott, Pyne et al as morons.

Omikron

it's no surprise really. just before the election they announced a big change to labor early childhood policy. this is just a continuation.

Dead Man

He just doesn't stop delivering gold:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/26/christopher-pyne-too-busy-to-listen

The federal education minister says he is too busy to sit down with an expert panel and have its needs-based school funding model explained to him.

Nor does Christopher Pyne want to get into a slanging match with his state counterparts over the Gonski school funding reforms.

"That would be unseemly," he told ABC radio on Tuesday.

Pyne said the government would "stick with what it's got" for the 2014 school year but after that he wanted a "flatter, simpler, fairer structure".

There was no reason for any state or territory to assume they would get less money over the next four years, he said.

Asked whether he was prepared to sit down with the Gonski panel and have them explain their funding model, Pyne said he was too busy.

"No, I've studied the Gonski model closely and I have to get on with the job of being education minister."

Pyne said a needs-based funding model was a very good principle, but precious funds were being spent on regulation and prescription rather than on schools.

Moron? That's a badge I wear with pride. :D

Nah, you and Ventron are alright :p Nothing wrong with having actual, well researched and socially-aligning reasons for voting for a party. Voting for any party because "gotta kick that mob out, they lied and gave us a PM we didn't vote for" even if you actually agree with their policies is pants-on-head retarded.

Arksy

It's wrong for the government to be influencing future voters through a public education sector anyway. Privatise the entire school system.

Welcome to the freedom free market bandwagon. We will be sending you your all inclusive starter pack soon......and an excessive bill for it soon after.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So Andrew Robb has apparently confirmed that the phone monitoring and intercepting took place, instead of using the alleged/will not comment on intelligence matters line. On the one hand it's just stating the obvious, but on the other it confirms that for all the pre-election talk of an experienced and capable front bench we're really dealing with the B-Team here.

Also, here's a fun little map to see how vulnerable your local area is to unemployment during an economic downturn. Seems to have all the major metro areas and suburbs covered but only a few regional centres.

Jintor

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...on-after-tony-abbott-cuts-20131126-2y836.html

Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia in administration after Tony Abbott cuts

One of the nation's oldest health organisations has been placed in voluntary administration after its funding was cut by the government.

The Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia, which has operated since 1966, learned on Monday its funding would cease immediately. The council is the peak body for organisations working to minimise the harm caused by drugs and alcohol, providing professional development, information sharing and advocacy services on an annual budget of $1.6 million from the federal Health Department.

President of the council's board, former Liberal MP Mal Washer, said the decision was a ''devastating blow'' that would undermine years of work.

''It effectively erases decades of corporate knowledge, and leaves the sector without representation at a national level,'' Dr Washer said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom