• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Entirely Murray's fault. Lot of improvements to be made there.

Reyne

The result was very predictable in the end, two close first sets and then Murray going away. Too bad.

Congrats to Djokovic on his fifth AO.

Vaddon

Disappointing but deserved, Murray just withered away mentally. Don't really have much sympathy, even if I'd have liked him to win.

Djokovic is absolutely amazing right now, you never feel that he is ever out of a match. I never really get that impression with many other players. Just incredible.

Congrats to Novak. Such a strange final. But he did what he needed to do. I think Murray has had a fantastic tournament, but the way he folded in the final leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I think he's well placed to challenge at Wimbledon and should have a good season. i didn't quite expect to see Murray falter after the intensity of the first two sets. It seemed like he was placed physically to grind it out, but. It just fell apart at the end of that third set.

Novak pulled away in the end. The match with Wawrinka helped a lot in terms of gaining match toughness I think. Murray never was pushed like Novak was in the semis.

oti

Banned
I catched one of Novak's sweatbands in Hamburg. :)

But what if the protestors were actually gipsies who cursed Murray?

Kensuke

So, this has been one of the most boring AO's in years imo. Which is a bummer, because normally this is consistently the most entertaining slam. Quarters, semis and even the final weren't especially good or memorable. Matches weren't competitive or the level of play was disappointing.

Even Nadal's elimination, which are normally very entertaining matches, was oddly boring. The only match I'll remember will probably be Nishikori - Wawrinka. Beast mode Stan is something else. But even then I feel Nishikori didn't play his best.

Oh well, hopefully the next slams bring the goods.

Watching the KIA guy's speech is one of my favorite moments of every Australian Open. Still remember when they had to bring chairs out for Djokovic and Nadal in 2012 because his speech went on too long.

So, this has been one of the most boring AO's in years imo. Which is a bummer, because normally this is consistently the most entertaining slam. Quarters, semis and even the final weren't especially good or memorable. Matches weren't competitive or the level of play was disappointing.

Even Nadal's elimination, which are normally very entertaining matches, was oddly boring. The only match I'll remember will probably be Nishikori - Wawrinka. Beast mode Stan is something else. But even then I feel Nishikori didn't play his best.

Oh well, hopefully the next slams bring the goods.

I'm really looking forward to Roland Garros. Of course, over the course of the clay court season we'll have a clearer idea of how Nadal is shaping up, but, for now, you have to fancy Djokovic to finally do it this year. The reality is neither of those two will win it, and it'll be Del Potro who lifts the trophy. The year of Del Potro starts in February.

sam777

Not if Djokovic is still around.

There is nobody to stop him right now, not even Nadal.

I would bet Nadal would take down the Djokovic that showed up today. If he had match consistency, which he didn't have leading in to this tournament.

LOL @ "Andy Murray, a great SCOT"

is that Isandymurraybritish page still up?

I think all that ended when he won Wimbledon. I feel for him, because he's 2-6 in slam finals and it's never been easy for him, playing against either the greatest player ever to play the game in Federer or Djokovic, who, at the end of his career, will be regarded as one of the all time greats. Murray just isn't quite good enough to beat them, unless they have a bad day, but more than good enough to make numerous slam finals.

good news for murray is he's finally back in the top 4 so if he stays there he won't have to deal with the top seeds till later (assuming they make it to the later stages lol)

Kensuke

I'm really looking forward to Roland Garros. Of course, over the course of the clay court season we'll have a clearer idea of how Nadal is shaping up, but, for now, you have to fancy Djokovic to finally do it this year. The reality is neither of those two will win it, and it'll be Del Potro who lifts the trophy. The year of Del Potro starts in February.

I've been waiting for the year of Del Potro for years. :'(

Not if Djokovic is still around.

There is nobody to stop him right now, not even Nadal.

He was stopped 3 times last year and he wasn't particularly amazing this slam. He's the best player right now, but nowhere near unbeatable. Also, never underestimate Nadal. He always looks beat up and year after year his odds of winning RG seem lower, but he always pulls through. Unless Soderling comes out of retirement Nadal is still the favorite by far.

Murray could've done it, even today. Has his chances, gave up in the end

I think it's silly to say he gave up. No-one ever gives up in that position, but the physicality of those two sets put him in a position where he could no longer reliably execute on his forehand or backhand. It just knocked the stuffing out of him and the frustration further compounded it and led to more mistakes. Even Nadal struggles to outlast Djokovic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom