• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Thanks for all of the kind words!

Im not into red, but ive always had a softspot for the Z line.

The guy who delivered and detailed my car I think initially felt the same way, but he mentioned that the color grew on him quickly. I didn't have a choice on the color, but I will say that I am very pleased with it in person. The g/f wanted a white Z, but she said that the car looks amazing during the daytime - and I happen to agree.

Is it just me, or are the rear wheels godammned sexy on that Z? Dat twist.

I love the rear wheels as well. We let her sister and brother-in-law drive the car while we followed, and those wider tires on the back look fantastic!

Congrats dude, really sharp looking car there. It's kind of wild how much better looking the 370 is compared to the 350.

Yes, crossed paths with two different 350s (one with a big ugly spoiler), and the 370 is much sharper.

What car are you coming from?

This is my first sports car. I had driven a hand me down 96 Mazda 626 (4cyl) for about 10 years before driving my g/f's 2010 CX7 (non turbo). The CX7 was our only car before the Z.

where are the mods??? ;)

I haven't looked too in-depth on mods yet. I'm definitely not doing anything that would void warranty. The first thing I will probably do is get the windows tinted to help with this desert heat. After that, I may look into adding an aftermarket exhaust (I've seen lots of people recommend fast intentions). Possibly add a CAI as well - not sure.

The car is mainly for my g/f to drive. The CX7 is my DD for commuting. Perhaps a few years from now depending on the next gen lineup I will weigh my options with a TT setup.

YES! Congrats!! So glad you jumped on that car. It's so beautiful.

Thanks so much Alpha! I couldn't be happier right now with my purchase. Even my insurance is much lower than I expected it would have been!

That's exactly what I paid for my FR-S. Preeeeetty sure you got the better deal.

It's funny you say that, as I was telling my g/f that the price of this car with the sport tech package is equivalent to the price of a FR-S/BRZ. I think the seller had to move quickly. Even the lady at the bank who had to look up the value of the car made a comment. I think she said it was showing $37,900 on her screen after she punched in the VIN.

And another bonus - no need for GAP insurance!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I haven't looked too in-depth on mods yet. I'm definitely not doing anything that would void warranty. The first thing I will probably do is get the windows tinted to help with this desert heat. After that, I may look into adding an aftermarket exhaust (I've seen lots of people recommend fast intentions). Possibly add a CAI as well - not sure.

Thanks so much Alpha! I couldn't be happier right now with my purchase. Even my insurance is much lower than I expected it would have been!

!

Yeah dude, it's crazy how cheap insurance is on the Zs. I don't get why...but I use to pay like $500/6 months. And then I got my M56S and that shit is $750. Wtf? The M56 has tons and tons of safety systems that can LITERALLY prevent a car crash. The Z has none of that. It's also a big 4-door sedan for families. Yet it's much more expensive to insure. Go figure.

Anyways, as far as mods bolt-ons won't really void any warranties. But choose exhausts carefully. Because the Z has an open cabin with no separation between the trunk space and seating space, exhaust noise can be really annoying with the wrong exhaust. But of course, that's what you have me for. :p

Ah c'mon, you're not having fun until the tires have given up! The E-SC still working well? You said it covered that torque dip really well (I had no idea it was that bad until I looked at the dyno, that stock dip is ridiculous) but is it holding up under regular driving? Plans for a dyno run post tune?

Oh I can still push the tires with the Pilot All Sports, it's just I have to be going a lot faster or a lot harder to do so. The stock tires will squeal no matter what.

The E-SC is working great! Even in this stupid California heat. As for the torque dip issue, yeah this was my Dyno from February with the TRD air filter, Exhaust, and 18x8.5 tires:

kuWlhHz.jpg

Look at that shit from 3-4.5K. With the E-SC I now apply 65% throttle it at around 2.5-2.7K and get rid of it. With the procede I can have it on constantly in a linear fashion which means I won't have to floor it as much because it'll be like pre-spooling it. However I won't be ordering it until next week so I won't have it for my Pismo trip. I will have it for my LA trip though...

Estimates are around 200-210 whp and 190-200 ft/lbs of torque. I have a Dyno run scheduled for the 18th because they weren't in today and the next three weeks I have plans. By then I should have the procede controller dialed in and the tune tweaked for Cal 91 Octane. I tell you what, having your own tuning tablet is great.

You may as well enjoy them now. 20 years hence, you'll have nothing to complain about except instant torque from electric pots.

There's no replacement for displacement, but I do love the little snail hooked up to the electric motor I have now :D

Evo X

True, but the first thing I did was replace the wheels and tires lol. I do like getting the tail out, but not at every corner...

Honestly, I really liked drifting the BRZ at every corner during the test drive. I was smiling like a maniac throwing that thing into turns and sliding the back end out. Hugely fun and so easily controllable.

At some point I'm sure it will. The next generation of 911s is going to be all turbos, but I don't recall hearing if they were going to do that with the GT3 as well.

Most people speculate the GT3 will remain NA

No need to speculate. Andreas Preuninger himself, head of GT Porsche, said the GT3 will remain N/A for the foreseeable future.

"I like atmospherical engines, because they are more linear, better driveability, lighter, more emotional," he says.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...che-calls-an-end-to-the-horsepower-arms-race/

FStop7

Banned
The GT3 is "supposed" to be about homologation but I think that stopped being reality a while ago. But if it still held true then the GT3 would remain NA as long as the classes it was being raced in dictated such.

matmanx1

Seriously, the last run of naturally aspirated GT3s are going to be one hell of a collector's item. I have this feeling I'm never going to buy a 2010 or later sports car. Like...that's it. I'm done.

I'm right there with you, man. My next car purchase is going to be much more difficult if I want to stay in the same neighborhood as my current 128i in terms of size, power and especially drivetrain. Slowly but surely the manufacturers are killing off the RWD/NA motor with a manual transmission combo.

Would an Aston Martin V8 Vantage make a good daily driver, do you think? =)

Momentary

Banned
At some point I'm sure it will. The next generation of 911s is going to be all turbos, but I don't recall hearing if they were going to do that with the GT3 as well.

Edit:
I take that back. You can have turbo'd cars in GT3. I just don't think they can go above 600hp.

No Love

Banned
Oh I can still push the tires with the Pilot All Sports, it's just I have to be going a lot faster or a lot harder to do so. The stock tires will squeal no matter what.

The E-SC is working great! Even in this stupid California heat. As for the torque dip issue, yeah this was my Dyno from February with the TRD air filter, Exhaust, and 18x8.5 tires:

kuWlhHz.jpg

Look at that shit from 3-4.5K. With the E-SC I now apply 65% throttle it at around 2.5-2.7K and get rid of it. With the procede I can have it on constantly in a linear fashion which means I won't have to floor it as much because it'll be like pre-spooling it. However I won't be ordering it until next week so I won't have it for my Pismo trip. I will have it for my LA trip though...

Estimates are around 200-210 whp and 190-200 ft/lbs of torque. I have a Dyno run scheduled for the 18th because they weren't in today and the next three weeks I have plans. By then I should have the procede controller dialed in and the tune tweaked for Cal 91 Octane. I tell you what, having your own tuning tablet is great.

There's no replacement for displacement, but I do love the little snail hooked up to the electric motor I have now :D

After doing my research on ESC's, I'm going to get one from Phantom and start tuning it on an NA car and a turbo car. In theory, you should be able to put one of these on any 4 cyl turbo car even with a bigger turbo and it will essentially allow a lesser form of twincharging... but you'll get a nice little 40-60 wtq boost at 2000+ RPM which means something like an Evo or STi will have even better driving dynamics at low RPM, perfect for daily driving etc especially if you set it to progressively engage part-throttle. Also, since it does hold boost to redline, this SHOULD be able to improve a turbo's normal spool in addition to widening the powerband, so you'll make more power everywhere and have a lower boost threshold. It's also perfect for something like an S2000... you could actually combine it with a centrifugal supercharger and get the best of both worlds: a nice boost to low-end torque AND that perfect, easily usable powerband that increases by RPM.

And you really should be tuning it on E85 for maximum results.

After doing my research on ESC's, I'm going to get one from Phantom and start tuning it on an NA car and a turbo car. In theory, you should be able to put one of these on any 4 cyl turbo car even with a bigger turbo and it will essentially allow a lesser form of twincharging... but you'll get a nice little 40-60 wtq boost at 2000+ RPM which means something like an Evo or STi will have even better driving dynamics at low RPM, perfect for daily driving etc especially if you set it to progressively engage part-throttle. Also, since it does hold boost to redline, this SHOULD be able to improve a turbo's normal spool in addition to widening the powerband, so you'll make more power everywhere and have a lower boost threshold. It's also perfect for something like an S2000... you could actually combine it with a centrifugal supercharger and get the best of both worlds: a nice boost to low-end torque AND that perfect, easily usable powerband that increases by RPM.

And you really should be tuning it on E85 for maximum results.

Yeah if you've got the knowhow you can get it to do all sorts of stuff. I'm thinking it'll be popular eventually as a mini twin turbo setup. Phantom does have a bit of a weight on their kits so it may take some time. Also the stock kit from Phantom only has an on/off
switch. Look into the Procede from Openflash if you want some form of linear control for it.

Also I'd love E85 but the closest place that sells it is around an hour and a half away. I can't really justify making that drive twice a month to fill up. One of these days I want to schedule an E85 dyno run down in LA or something.

Evo X

You're using the word 'compound' loosely :)

Oh, you know what I meant.

Z doesn't come with Prius tires from the factory.

Nothing against the FRS. I actually like the fact that it comes with those tires. Means I can drift a 200HP car at 30 mph with ease.

So I was looking online at some cars that I could get once I graduate from school (Still a while off. :() and the Mazda CX -3 peaked my interest. It's got the traditional great Mazda driving dynamics and it's got good power. Plus it looks way better than its competitors.

2016-mazda-cx-3-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-658226-s-429x262.jpg

What do you guys think?

rokkerkory

So I was looking online at some cars that I could get once I graduate from school (Still a while off. :() and the Mazda CX -3 peaked my interest. It's got the traditional great Mazda driving dynamics and it's got good power. Plus it looks way better than its competitors.

What do you guys think?

Hell yes

What do you guys think?

You're right, it looks great. I'd say go for it!

boltz

What do you guys think?

Definitely the best looking in its class, but what about a CX-5? I prefer the looks of that, not to mention the more powerful engine and increased cargo room. I've seen a lot of the refreshed ones in the top trim level (easily distinguished by their wheels) and they always look great.

TCRS

Banned

What do you guys think?

great looking car form the outside but inside I think the Honda HR-V is better. but then driving dynamics is again a plus for the mazda.

great looking car form the outside but inside I think the Honda HR-V is better. but then driving dynamics is again a plus for the mazda.

I disagree:

The HR-V looks like your bog standard Honda interior that their interns put together using Lego style blocks. Plus that steering wheels looks godawful and uncomfortable.

The CX-3 on the other hand looks way more luxurious, inviting and plush. Really the only thing wrong with it is the "iPad" on the dash.

That said, if price was a factor... I think the HR-V is cheaper than CX-3 by a bit... coz IIRC you could get a top of the line CX-3 for a decently specced CX-5.

Wat.

I don't get how he lost control of the car.

The camera owner says it seemed like he was gonna clip the grass on his right and over-corrected which makes sense seeing as how it seems like the car just "snapped" during corner exit. But it doesn't make sense coz he should have decent grip coming out of a corner... so I'm assuming either his tires are toast, and/or the dude panicked and had a knee-jerk reaction pulling it to the left and caused it to go off track.

I'm probably wrong about everything right? Lol.

Definitely the best looking in its class, but what about a CX-5? I prefer the looks of that, not to mention the more powerful engine and increased cargo room. I've seen a lot of the refreshed ones in the top trim level (easily distinguished by their wheels) and they always look great.
For a single guy, the CX-5 is way too big for me.

FStop7

Banned
Needless to say I was surprised to see a new GT3 RS, let alone one with KSA plates in the USA.

It sounds _really_ good, of course.

But nothing beat the sound of the Huayra. There were a lot of contenders, too. Even a couple of Aventadors with modified exhausts, but they didn't come close to the Pagani.

Jackson

Wat.

I don't get how he lost control of the car.

The camera owner says it seemed like he was gonna clip the grass on his right and over-corrected which makes sense seeing as how it seems like the car just "snapped" during corner exit. But it doesn't make sense coz he should have decent grip coming out of a corner... so I'm assuming either his tires are toast, and/or the dude panicked and had a knee-jerk reaction pulling it to the left and caused it to go off track.

I'm probably wrong about everything right? Lol.

Looks like maybe he jumped hard on the throttle (probably to get away from the 302, don't race! lolz ya ok...) before the car was fully planted straight which caused aggressive throttle oversteer which caught him by surprise and then it's four off before ya know it.

But just a guess.

ThisOne

I'm waiting for the 2016 GTIs to show up at the local dealerships before I strongly start considering a purchase. I'm wondering, though, what's the best way to get the exact one I want? Like let's say I know I want a 4-door, manual transmission, in midnight blue, but none of the dealerships near me have that exact model. Can I request it and they'll order one from the factory or another dealership? Does having them do something like that cut back on my ability to talk down the price a bit?

Looks like maybe he jumped hard on the throttle (probably to get away from the 302, don't race! lolz ya ok...) before the car was fully planted straight which caused aggressive throttle oversteer which caught him by surprise and then it's four off before ya know it.

But just a guess.

Yeah, that's what I meant by the car "snapping" during exit.

Man, I really need to go on a track day soon. Too bad my car isn't gonna pass safety inspection coz my brakes still need to be replaced.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Needless to say I was surprised to see a new GT3 RS, let alone one with KSA plates in the USA.

It sounds _really_ good, of course.

But nothing beat the sound of the Huayra. There were a lot of contenders, too. Even a couple of Aventadors with modified exhausts, but they didn't come close to the Pagani.

Yeah, the Pagani is a mythical thing. The guy who did the wrap on my brother's Huracan had a Huayra he was working on, as well. The owner of the car can't get the car registered in the US yet, because they're technically still 'illegal'. So he has to title and register it as a kit car, most likely at least for a few months while Pagani works it out.

American's policies on cars are so fucking old and antiquated.

Jackson

Yeah, the Pagani is a mythical thing. The guy who did the wrap on my brother's Huracan had a Huayra he was working on, as well. The owner of the car can't get the car registered in the US yet, because they're technically still 'illegal'. So he has to title and register it as a kit car, most likely at least for a few months while Pagani works it out.

Huh AFAIK you can't re-register a car once it's been classified. Never done it myself, but I want an R34 GTR (it was the first car that I drooled after as a kid) and looked into registering it as a display car (only 2500 miles allowed per year) until it's ready to be legally imported 10+ years from now. But once a show car always a show car.

Evo X

As of last year the Huayra is legal in the US. In fact, the US has 40% market share of the car. I've seen two of them rolling around in SoCal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/09/pagani-huayra-us-market-video-official/

BRZ drivers always fuck things up.* Some dumb kid in a BRZ twin went off at a corner where you would have to try to go off and ended up in a god-damned swamp. They had to cut the rest of the run off, oh, and it was the first lap after the warmup lap, too. So I had one run in the morning, then a three hour wait, then 3 minutes of driving with 17 minutes of sitting in a hot car in the sun.

It was going to be another two hours before my next run and with rain rolling in I said fuck it and boogied out.

That said! The 944 did pretty dang well and ended up being more capable than I am. On a full track suspension, r-comp tires and racing brakes the level of cornering and braking grip is just soooo much more than I'm used to. I was beginning to push it at the end of my run but I could tell even then I was falling well short of locking the brakes off the back straight, and I definitely had a few more mph through the turns. Total blast.

I'll have video later. One of me having fun and recovering from a very hairy slide, one of me sitting in the pit getting progressively madder.

*Last multi-car accident I saw on track was the result of another dumb kid in a BRZ as well. Sorry, Lucidmomentum, you're in some bad company!

Bandit1

BRZ drivers always fuck things up.* Some dumb kid in a BRZ twin went off at a corner where you would have to try to go off and ended up in a god-damned swamp. They had to cut the rest of the run off, oh, and it was the first lap after the warmup lap, too. So I had one run in the morning, then a three hour wait, then 3 minutes of driving with 17 minutes of sitting in a hot car in the sun.

It was going to be another two hours before my next run and with rain rolling in I said fuck it and boogied out.

That said! The 944 did pretty dang well and ended up being more capable than I am. On a full track suspension, r-comp tires and racing brakes the level of cornering and braking grip is just soooo much more than I'm used to. I was beginning to push it at the end of my run but I could tell even then I was falling well short of locking the brakes off the back straight, and I definitely had a few more mph through the turns. Total blast.

I'll have video later. One of me having fun and recovering from a very hairy slide, one of me sitting in the pit getting progressively madder.

*Last multi-car accident I saw on track was the result of another dumb kid in a BRZ as well. Sorry, Lucidmomentum, you're in some bad company!

So the guy in the Z28 is still alive right? What was the bet on that, $100? :p

Seriously though, disappointing you couldn't get more track time. I'd love to get on a track some day and I'd probably be a little ticked if it was cut short by someone else.

So the guy in the Z28 is still alive right? What was the bet on that, $100? :p

Seriously though, disappointing you couldn't get more track time. I'd love to get on a track some day and I'd probably be a little ticked if it was cut short by someone else.

Yeah I was pretty pissed off at the time. I didn't realize it on track but I caught the spin on camera, classic case of "Oh noes I'm sliding I better overcorrect and hope for the best!!" Supposed to be the advanced/comp. license run group, so who knows how that happened.

But yeah that Z28 dude lived, surprisingly. I think he had an off early in the day but for the most part was babying it around the track. There was a dude in an ATS I was pretty positive was intent on his self-destruction, though. He had a full four wheel off and a two wheel in the first session, and was fishtailing half the time at turn 1. Don't know wtf his ride-along instructor was saying about all that.

Anion

I'm waiting for the 2016 GTIs to show up at the local dealerships before I strongly start considering a purchase. I'm wondering, though, what's the best way to get the exact one I want? Like let's say I know I want a 4-door, manual transmission, in midnight blue, but none of the dealerships near me have that exact model. Can I request it and they'll order one from the factory or another dealership? Does having them do something like that cut back on my ability to talk down the price a bit?

I ordered my Benz with the specs I wanted and was still able to get a bit of a discount. Started talking about a car already on their lot and then said I wanted it in red and wanted the AMG performance package on it -- and of course they didnt have it and couldnt find it in the region. So they ordered one for me and gave me the same amount off the car as they did on the less optioned one. So it wasn't an amazing deal, but I was pretty set on what I wanted so I didn't have much leeway either. Your dealer probably will tell some BS that if they factory order it, they are buying it at full cost or something ludicrous just to get extra $ from you. In reality, they actually option up the cars themselves and have those on the lot. So their profits shouldnt really change much tbh, if at all. My dealer actually had a car scheduled to be made and all they did was change the specs to the ones I wanted. You might have to wait a bit though. Saw on the forums that some GTI owners had to wait at least 3-4 months for their cars. The same was said on the Mercedes forums, but I got lucky with my car and got it within 2 months. I'm sure the same can happen at VW, so who knows. Regardless, it is so worth it and so satisfying when you get the call that your car has finally arrived at the dealership.

Good luck! I was soooo close on getting a GTI. Test drove a red 2015 2 door S model with the performance package and it was so much fun driving it in the windy backroads here. Was reading the GTI forums, it sounds good that you waited for the 2016s as the new media system will be so much better than the current one.

Jackson

BRZ drivers always fuck things up.*

After my last track day with Mr. Tryhard BRZ, I concur.

On a side note -- I'm semi-looking to eventually get a 7 seater from the 5 seater Q5 we have now for my wife & kids (prob next year) and I checked out the new Volvo XC90R. Yo... it's pretty legit. China buyout did the Swedes well.

03-2015-volvo-xc90-r-design-detroit-1.jpg

2015-Volvo-XC90-R-Design-interior-at-the-2015-Detroit-Auto-Show.jpg

First Volvo in a long time I thought had good looks and lots of nice goodies (it's touch screen console and dashboard feel just iOS and offer lots of powerful tools intuitively). Engine is interesting, comes in either 4 banger twin turbo or plug-in hybrid and compared to some other luxury brands it's "cheap". It mostly lacks in the high-end brand cachet department compared to say Land Rover, MB,BMW, Audi though.

ThisOne

I ordered my Benz with the specs I wanted and was still able to get a bit of a discount. Started talking about a car already on their lot and then said I wanted it in red and wanted the AMG performance package on it -- and of course they didnt have it and couldnt find it in the region. So they ordered one for me and gave me the same amount off the car as they did on the less optioned one. So it wasn't an amazing deal, but I was pretty set on what I wanted so I didn't have much leeway either. Your dealer probably will tell some BS that if they factory order it, they are buying it at full cost or something ludicrous just to get extra $ from you. In reality, they actually option up the cars themselves and have those on the lot. So their profits shouldnt really change much tbh, if at all. My dealer actually had a car scheduled to be made and all they did was change the specs to the ones I wanted. You might have to wait a bit though. Saw on the forums that some GTI owners had to wait at least 3-4 months for their cars. The same was said on the Mercedes forums, but I got lucky with my car and got it within 2 months. I'm sure the same can happen at VW, so who knows. Regardless, it is so worth it and so satisfying when you get the call that your car has finally arrived at the dealership.

Good luck! I was soooo close on getting a GTI. Test drove a red 2015 2 door S model with the performance package and it was so much fun driving it in the windy backroads here. Was reading the GTI forums, it sounds good that you waited for the 2016s as the new media system will be so much better than the current one.
Thanks, that's helpful information. I'm worried that they're going to try and leverage my pickiness against me by not budging on price so I'll have to watch out for that when I go into the dealership.

Which VW forum have you been browsing? I'm interested in chatting with owners/prospective owners too.

After my last track day with Mr. Tryhard BRZ, I concur.

See that's why I got an FR-S. The BRZ is the evil twin.
That's also why I got wider and stickier tires.

I think a lot of it has to do with the belief that it's got less power than most things and it's got good handling, so people feel they can just drive all out all the time and glide through corners. You still have to actually drive well in order to get around the track.

With that being said, I need to have a track day sometime. I've only been doing canyon / back roads due to the lack of tracks nearby that aren't ovals. I plan to take the 166 to pismo next weekend, which should be fun. Saving the 58 for when I get the full ESC controller.

Jackson

I think a lot of it has to do with the belief that it's got less power than most things and it's got good handling, so people feel they can just drive all out all the time and glide through corners. You still have to actually drive well in order to get around the track.

My observation is a bit different, though yours definitely also makes sense. For me everyone hates the feeling of being passed/lapped on a race track, even if it's "not a race(tm)". Unless you're doing a very specific club day (like Miata Club Day), it's highly like there will be many mismatched cars in terms of power, braking and handling. Even at club days there's more modded cars than others and thus superiority. It's a lapping day for enjoyment, it's not meant to be a fair grid of equally matched cars that rely mostly on driver skill.

S2000's and BRZ's for me have had the most people who think their cars are so amazing they can't possibly be passed (especially when modded). So they see a car in in their rear view mirror (even if it's clearly a superior car in terms of power/handling/speed) and they try their best to not get passed/lapped by pushing their car to 100% of its limits and when they go over the 100% that's when accidents happen. I've even had S2000's not point me by and just hold me up... because racercar bruh! It's frustrating. But pther owners of popular track day cars know their car is slower (Miata/Minis/Civics), so they don't get in your way typically or push hard to not be lapped.

Mr. Tryhard was pushing his BRZ to 110% to just try and stay away from me and my friend in his F-Type R and speaking for myself I was maybe at 80%. You can't push the car further than what it can do for long and so he ate it. Dude was reckless.

My observation is a bit different, though yours definitely also makes sense. For me everyone hates the feeling of being passed/lapped on a race track, even if it's "not a race(tm)". Unless you're doing a very specific club day (like Miata Club Day), it's highly like there will be many mismatched cars in terms of power, braking and handling. Even at club days there's more modded cars than others and thus superiority. It's a lapping day for enjoyment, it's not meant to be a fair grid of equally matched cars that rely mostly on driver skill.

S2000's and BRZ's for me have had the most people who think their cars are so amazing they can't possibly be passed (especially when modded). So they see a car in in their rear view mirror (even if it's clearly a superior car in terms of power/handling/speed) and they try their best to not get passed/lapped by pushing their car to 100% of its limits and when they go over the 100% that's when accidents happen. I've even had S2000's not point me by and just hold me up... because racercar bruh! It's frustrating. But pther owners of popular track day cars know their car is slower (Miata/Minis/Civics), so they don't get in your way typically or push hard to not be lapped.

Mr. Tryhard was pushing his BRZ to 110% to just try and stay away from me and my friend in his F-Type R and speaking for myself I was maybe at 80%. You can't push the car further than what it can do for long and so he ate it.

I hate when people don't let me pass. I've spent entire sessions stuck behind someone going slow through the corners, then when the long straight comes and I move to the inside to get past, they speed off just so I can be stuck behind them for another lap.

See, I'm only too eager to let other people by. If they're just in a plain faster car I don't want to chew up their time making them hold back, and if the car's competitive with mine I'd rather tail the person and see what's making them faster. A little civic got by me this morning and I was really hoping to chase him, but the checkered went down right as he went by.

One thing I've noticed at track days is that if someone catches up to you you're not going to suddenly become a better driver and get away from them. Best thing for both drivers is to let them by--they get to continue unimpeded and you might actually become a better driver following them.

I hate when people don't let me pass. I've spent entire sessions stuck behind someone going slow through the corners, then when the long straight comes and I move to the inside to get past, they speed off just so I can be stuck behind them for another lap.

Thankfully the organizers at Waterford really stress the concept of high power vs. high cornering. At the driver's meeting they'll ask for a show of hands for people of 400hp+ cars, at which point he tells them "You will be passed by a Miata!" I really appreciate it, as some people will even go so far as giving you a point by but not letting off the gas. What am I supposed to do with that when their car has 300hp and mine has 150hp? Hah, had a guy do that to me this morning. Halfway through the straight he gives me a point by but doesn't really let off, like wtf good was that?

FStop7

Banned
Also - Merc G wagons have completely usurped the Bentley Continental GT as the go-to daily driver for rich people. Last time I spent a full day in Beverly Hills we counted 50+ Conti GTs. This time I counted at least 20 G class. IMO the G is way cooler than the Bentley, anyhow.

Hey AutomotiveGAF, I need some help finding my sister a car. I figured I'd ask here instead of posting a thread in OT and getting a bunch of awful advice.

So she has a couple of thousand dollars she can use to buy a car in the Orange County/Laguna Beach area, and she just needs something that'll get her from point A to point B. I'm thinking a mid 90's Honda Civic or Toyota Camry, cheap, reliable, and nearly immortal engines. But I'd be better off getting additional opinions before telling her "Yeah, use your money on this".

Thanks in advance guys!

Anyway, track day video!

https://youtu.be/9jsvF31NMTw

Skip to 15:00 for a pretty good slide and save followed by adrenaline filled laughter, and 19:30 for the spinoff of that FRBSRZ-86. I was trying to push that one corner too much at 15:00 and lifted when I should have used a bit of throttle. The rear end is too stiff right now I think, so the car oversteers a heck of a lot.

Anion

Thanks, that's helpful information. I'm worried that they're going to try and leverage my pickiness against me by not budging on price so I'll have to watch out for that when I go into the dealership.

Which VW forum have you been browsing? I'm interested in chatting with owners/prospective owners too.

I was browsing the Vortex Mk VII forums back in May. At the time it was really big. Im sure it has gotten bigger now. I wish the CLA forums were big cause that would be great. Thats one of the awesome things about the GTI forums

Jackson

Anyway, track day video!

Skip to 15:00 for a pretty good slide and save followed by adrenaline filled laughter, and 19:30 for the spinoff of that FRBSRZ-86. I was trying to push that one corner too much at 15:00 and lifted when I should have used a bit of throttle. The rear end is too stiff right now I think, so the car oversteers a heck of a lot.

Wait you have 2 Porsches? Also Watermill is a crazy tight track, looks barely wide enough to pass on straights lol.

Anyway, track day video!

Always sucks when a session is cut short. Doesn't happen too much when I do hpde. Happens more often in drifting though.

Thats a pretty sweet track though. I wish there were more around were I live, all the ones in/near town are meh, and the only nice one is 150 miles away in the middle of nowhere. PIR was my favorite until they tore up the road course to make more room for nascar.

Top Bottom