• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

The whole McLaren lineup looks fabulous. What a sculpted beauty.

They invoke some sort of primal passion in me that many other cars can't. The body lines, the paint, the way they sound, the everything.

If I had the money...

Anyways, set up a Dyno appointment for next month. Hopefully by then I'll have the controller, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference at the high end of things. That's more or less so I won't have to be so careful around the mid throttle range.

I've gotten the hang of when to punch it to bring in the boost at full, and when it all comes together it's a ton of fun. The torque is the big deal with this tiny snail, I feel. The power is nice, but not having that dip from 3K to 4.5K because I bring the SC on around 2.7K is where it's at.

Once I get the Procede controller I'll be prepared to take it on the back roads with curves as I won't have to worry so much about pushing too hard and having 5 PSI of extra HP to account for halfway through a curve.

Speaking of McLaren, my next door neighbor bought a new car.
3388356b.jpg

Reminds me that being poor sucks seeing that I drive this.
3388356a.jpg

Evo X

No Love

Banned
3388356b.jpg

3388356a.jpg

I have no clue why you'd buy ANY good looking car in silver. It is such a pedestrian, plain color. I've had two silver cars in my life and while they did look good, there are SO many better colors to choose from.

Evo X

I have no clue why you'd buy ANY good looking car in silver. It is such a pedestrian, plain color. I've had two silver cars in my life and while they did look good, there are SO many better colors to choose from.

Maybe he didn't mind the color because he scored a deal on it. Used 12Cs are a pretty good supercar bargain right now.

Speaking of silver... found a 06 G35 Coupe 6MT for $13.5K with 76K miles.

Dealer website has no pics as it just popped up this morning I believe, but what do y'all think? Decent enough of an upgrade coming from a Miata or should I rather save my cash if I do end up buying a new car next year or just put it on mods on my current Miata instead?

I kinda wanna test drive it Friday, but I've got plans the entire weekend so I'm not too sure yet.

EDIT: Found 2 unicorns!! Mazdaspeed 6 and a Pontiac GTO with a 6MT!!!

Welp, looks like I might be cancelling my plans this Friday now lol.

Completely agree. Light silver like that is one of my least favorite car colors. It's just so boring.

Anyway, my dad was talking to the guy earlier, and he mentioned he might trade it in for a convertible.

Jackson

Maybe he didn't mind the color because he scored a deal on it. Used 12Cs are a pretty good supercar bargain right now.

Ya they are the supercar bargain. You can get a low mileage 2012 for $150k. They go for $240k new (no options). To put that in to perspective a low mileage 2012 458 Italia goes for $220k. It's $240k new (no options).

Man, seeing the 12C and the 570S together makes me consider the 12C to be the much more handsome car. The 570S' body is just too busy. That said they're pretty incredible, but their engine notes are too boring and turbo'y for my taste.

Edit: Also, silver is great for concept cars because of any color it best shows the lines of the body, but it's soooo boring for actual cars.

matmanx1

I'm sorry, but this is the best looking/best priced super car there is. $180k for this beauty. I'm in love.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/sets/72157657124227411/

Porsche Turbo what? R8 v10 Plus who? NSX huh?

Yeah and that's a fantastic color on it too. So, so gorgeous.

3388356b.jpg

3388356a.jpg

And it's parked on the street. That's what sticks out to me. If I'm paying 6 figures + for a car it's going to be garaged. Different strokes I guess.

P.S. - You guys are making me feel bad about my silver/metallic 128i. I agree on the 12C that's a pretty boring color but I really do like the Space Gray metallic on my car. It hides dirt better than any other color that I have owned before and it has a really nice depth to it.

J-Rzez

There are only a few silvers I ever liked, one was Quicksilver metallic that Toyota used on the MKIV Supra for a little while.

Silver is perfect for people who don't like to take care of their car though, very low maint.

That said, silver is as boring and soulless/lifeless as you can get unless it's a special variation of it (super bright, super shadowing).

Anion

On non-supercars, I think any color that fits well with the car is good. Case by case

On high end sports and supercars, I have a problem with people who buy them in black. Like, you aren't making your car more stealthy. It will still stick out but now it's so much harder to see the beautiful contours and the much thought out details.

mkenyon

Banned

Dealer website has no pics as it just popped up this morning I believe, but what do y'all think? Decent enough of an upgrade coming from a Miata or should I rather save my cash if I do end up buying a new car next year or just put it on mods on my current Miata instead?

I kinda wanna test drive it Friday, but I've got plans the entire weekend so I'm not too sure yet.

I've always had a really big soft spot for those GTOs. Done up right, they can look amazing.

matmanx1

Chris Harris took out the Aston GT12 for a spin. Amazing footage. I wish I had roads and scenery like that nearby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5jmHUnpGug

I'm sure you already know how I feel about this car. lol

I'm right there with you. And Chris seemed to like it a whole lot. How could you not with those looks and that noise? I would have to slam the throttle every time I got in it just to hear it make that glorious sound.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I love silver even on supercars.

Shows all of the lines, easy to maintain, and you don't have to worry about rain spots and dirt being noticeable. I'll probably end up buying a silver car next.

Well it finally happened. I am the new owner of a 2015 370z sport tech.

I had been on the lookout for one, but then decided that maybe I would wait to see how the next gen Z, Supra, and Genesis Coupe panned out.

That is until I saw this baby pop up. $25,300 and only 4800 miles. It's about as new as a used car can get.

I also wanted to thank AlphaSnake for answering many of my questions via PM!

20150820_142615.jpg

20150820_142646.jpg

Anion

I had been on the lookout for one, but then decided that maybe I would wait to see how the next gen Z, Supra, and Genesis Coupe panned out.

That is until I saw this baby pop up. $25,300 and only 4800 miles. It's about as new as a used car can get.

20150820_142615.jpg

20150820_142646.jpg

Nice! Congrats man. That is the proper color too ;)

Oxn

20150820_142615.jpg

20150820_142646.jpg

Im not into red, but ive always had a softspot for the Z line.

20150820_142615.jpg

20150820_142646.jpg

Congrats dude, really sharp looking car there. It's kind of wild how much better looking the 370 is compared to the 350.

Edit: Okay so I bought a toy the other day and finally put it on. I already had a test pipe in place of my catalytic converter but... I needed just a biiiit more.

So I went completely overboard instead, Fabspeed muffler bypass! Straight piped 911! Ugh!

VRRRROOOOOOOOOO BrrrrPOP POP POP POP POP

I know I can't keep it on the car but....man I really want to.

Bandit1

20150820_142615.jpg

20150820_142646.jpg

Nice ride! Congrats!

If I were picking between the three I'd go for the GTO. Shocking, I know. Never had the privilege of driving one, but I've sat inside one and the seats are great, and you can't go wrong with an LS motor. They generally received good reviews from what I remember reading at the time, but were overshadowed by the launch of the retro-designed Mustangs. As you probably know, if you found an 05 or 06 you'd get 50 more HP, hood scoops, and split exhaust tips. But I'd say take that goat for a test drive and see what you think!

Evo X

So classy - Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe

What a color, what a deal! Love those wheels too. Have fun!

So I went completely overboard instead, Fabspeed muffler bypass! Straight piped 911! Ugh!

I'm not going to lie, with the little snail WHOOSH and the TRD's growl, I often drive with the windows down and without any music in the car just because.

No Love

Banned

I'd definitely go with the GTO, but try to find '05 or '06, they're not much more expensive. AND NO SILVER.

I fucking love the GTO because it's basically a Holden instead of a Chevy, which means it's pretty kick-ass and didn't get the same treatment mid 2000's Chevy products did. Interior is nice and comfy and the exterior still looks good.

Oh, and you can mod the fuck out of the motor for dirt cheap so you can have a comfy 500+ whp V8 torque monster.

There are only a few silvers I ever liked, one was Quicksilver metallic that Toyota used on the MKIV Supra for a little while.

Silver is perfect for people who don't like to take care of their car though, very low maint.

That said, silver is as boring and soulless/lifeless as you can get unless it's a special variation of it (super bright, super shadowing).

Silver is great for sleepers, from what I've seen.

That sounds badass! Keep it. lol

Hahaha, man I would love to, but god damn it's ridiculous. Once every week or so I'll take it to work and I'm not sure the neighbors would appreciate the aural assault at 6:30am.

Edit: And I can't forget about my own health. Putting the windows up helps with my ears, but the exhaust pulses through my body in a noticeable way. Cool as hell, but headache central.

rokkerkory

20150820_142615.jpg

20150820_142646.jpg

congrats! she looks great!

where are the mods??? ;)

AlphaSnake

20150820_142615.jpg

20150820_142646.jpg

YES! Congrats!! So glad you jumped on that car. It's so beautiful.

Congrats!

Is it just me, or are the rear wheels godammned sexy on that Z? Dat twist.

Not just you. The rears are much more concaved than the front, and also a lot wider too. I think they're 10" wide out back. They're very special Rays wheels too. Not too many cars come with lightweight 20" Rays forged wheels from the factory, on top of an Akebono BBK with superb bite.

J-Rzez

Congrats, good choice of color. Good luck with it.

P.S. - You guys are making me feel bad about my silver/metallic 128i. I agree on the 12C that's a pretty boring color but I really do like the Space Gray metallic on my car. It hides dirt better than any other color that I have owned before and it has a really nice depth to it.

Whoa whoa whoa. Metallic grays are a totally different story from plain jane silvers. :)

Silver is great for sleepers, from what I've seen.

Know what's great for sleepers? Putting a 500hp 4G63 in a 90's dodge caravan. lol.

I don't know, I just don't really like silver too much. That said, I recommend that to my mom, uncles, and fiances parents because they don't like to maint them. Now, I've seen plain silver cars look good in the past, but that depends on what aftermarket accenting they do. Just like plain flat white, I'm not a fan, but when it's accented correctly via painted/powder coated calipers, carbon fiber bits, etc, it can look great.

matmanx1

20150820_142615.jpg

20150820_142646.jpg

Beautiful! Great color, too. That is a very sharp vehicle and a very capable sport's car. Enjoy it.

Congrats dude, really sharp looking car there. It's kind of wild how much better looking the 370 is compared to the 350.

Edit: Okay so I bought a toy the other day and finally put it on. I already had a test pipe in place of my catalytic converter but... I needed just a biiiit more.

Duuuuude. That sounds so good. I just played the clip in my cubicle and had a co-worker stop by just to listen. We were both grinning and nodding. I know it's loud but wow does it sound fantastic.

Not so sure about that. The Z is heavier, but has substantially more grip than an FR-S, at least when comparing stock tire compound and fitment.

True, but the first thing I did was replace the wheels and tires lol. I do like getting the tail out, but not at every corner...

Duuuuude. That sounds so good. I just played the clip in my cubicle and had a co-worker stop by just to listen. We were both grinning and nodding. I know it's loud but wow does it sound fantastic.

Hah, thanks. The video captures the sound quality pretty well but it doesn't do the volume justice. I mean it's really fucking loud.

True, but the first thing I did was replace the wheels and tires lol. I do like getting the tail out, but not at every corner...

Ah c'mon, you're not having fun until the tires have given up! The E-SC still working well? You said it covered that torque dip really well (I had no idea it was that bad until I looked at the dyno, that stock dip is ridiculous) but is it holding up under regular driving? Plans for a dyno run post tune?

AlphaSnake

2016 Camaro starts at $27K with 2.0T 275HP/295TQ. And of course the new chassis is significantly lighter than the old.

Top Bottom