• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

My love for rear wheel drive Japanese 90's cars has me back looking at Japanese auctions for a JZX100 Chaser. I'm hoping to find something while I'm in Japan next year so that I can see it in person.

If not then I'll use a local importer and be super picky like I was with my S15...

So I went to the Back to the Bricks car show in Flint, MI, today, and am bad at taking pictures!

It's a seriously huge event, I'm looking down this street at at least a quarter mile of cars and that's probably one quarter of what was there. Note: Image reflective of general unattractiveness of Michigan residents.

My friend ended up heading down with his S15 (black) for a drift demo that was taking place sometime over the weekend... Hopefully you had seen it.

Can someone explain this simple question about Push to Start for me?

What happen if my car is started, and I walk very far away from the car with my keys?

or

If I have my car started, and someone jumps in a drives off, but I still have the keys?

if you walk away with your keys the car stays on, but i'm not sure what will happen if you try to drive off.

Oxn

On most once the car is started it's on till whoever turns it off.

Meaning don't let someone jump in and drive away.

I've seen a crapton of Leafs down here but when I went to the BBQ festival yesterday, I saw the Tesla charging stations in the garage.
They're so cool.

It's the same principle as when someone jumps into a car with the keys in it. Except it won't start again without the keys.

Ok good to know. I better shut it off whenever i just want to run in the house to grab something.

Edit, or maybe ill just lock the door when i do that. Cause atleast now i can lock it since the key will be in my pocket.

rokkerkory

Summer is ending soon, gonna do my yearly super detail on the M.

Interior and exterior and put her away for winter (expecting El Nino) to bring heavy rain!

Anion

Can someone explain this simple question about Push to Start for me?

What happen if my car is started, and I walk very far away from the car with my keys?

or

If I have my car started, and someone jumps in a drives off, but I still have the keys?
Yes you can drive away. Can tell you that Mercedes will give you an alarm that your driving off without keys or with keys with dead batteries

Anion

What winter tires do you guys have? I never cared about winter tires until now. So I'm wondering what are some good brands and if there is anything special about them that I should know.

Also, I'm thinking of using my current 18" rims as my winter set and some nicer 19" as a summer set. Will this affect my speedometer calibration or will the overall rim+tire diameter remain the same? I literally have no idea how any of this works

Mistel

Banned
Also, I'm thinking of using my current 18" rims with some winter tires and then buy some nicer 19" for my summer tires. Will this affect my speedometer calibration or will the overall rim+tire diameter remain the same? I literally have no idea how any of this works
Of course it will. Larger sizes cover larger distances in the same period of time therefore affecting the speedo calibration by it giving a lower reading that the actual speed. As it'll only be a small change its probably only going to be a few MPH but you should recalibrate the speedo anyway to accommodate it, it'll be a hassle as you're switching between two sizes often but it's your prerogative.

No Love

Banned
What winter tires do you guys have? I never cared about winter tires until now. So I'm wondering what are some good brands and if there is anything special about them that I should know.

Also, I'm thinking of using my current 18" rims as my winter set and some nicer 19" as a summer set. Will this affect my speedometer calibration or will the overall rim+tire diameter remain the same? I literally have no idea how any of this works

Of course it will. Larger sizes cover larger distances in the same period of time therefore affecting the speedo calibration by it giving a lower reading that the actual speed. As it'll only be a small change its probably only going to be a few MPH but you should recalibrate the speedo anyway to accommodate it, it'll be a hassle as you're switching between two sizes often but it's your prerogative.

It only affects it if the new tire diameter is larger/smaller than the stock diameter.

My love for rear wheel drive Japanese 90's cars has me back looking at Japanese auctions for a JZX100 Chaser. I'm hoping to find something while I'm in Japan next year so that I can see it in person.

When are you going to go?

I'd actually love to know how the market is for the Mazda Cosmo. Only 8,875 units were produced so I'm sure it'll be tough to get a hold of one, but it's something I've been really interested about ever since I found out about it. It could be a killer car, especially outfitted with the manual trans from the RX-7.

Interior and exterior and put her away for winter (expecting El Nino) to bring heavy rain!

Lol all this El Nino talk the past week has got me thinking about buying a set of steelies and winter tires since I'm rocking summer tires year round. It might be a good idea to get winters in if El Nino turns out to be real.

Mistel

Banned
It only affects it if the new tire diameter is larger/smaller than the stock diameter.
Even if they're the same diameter there's going to be slight differences in the speedo reading. Ideally you want a 1% or less difference but it's still going to be there but not very noticeable if at all.

E.g:
225/55/16 to 225/50/17 maintains same diameter and aspect ratio but there's is a difference between the two at 50 with the larger size being slightly higher at 50.22mph for actual speed.

I think every tire has at least a slightly different diameter. But if you pick the right size, the difference will be small enough it won't matter.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Besides, speedometers are always off a few mph plus/minus.

Precisely. This is why police officers aren't legally allowed to ticket drivers in most jurisdictions that are being clocked at 1-5MPH over. That is the margin of error on radars and speedometer.

Welp, picked up the Electric Supercharger tonight. My friend gets his WRX, I get a tuning tablet and the little snail.

Going to be a few weeks before I get the controller for it, so for now I'll have to live with a straight on/off throttle position switch until I get everything sorted out.

Anion

Ah thanks guys, really appreciate it. I guess I might as well go for the 19" summer wheels if it doesn't affect the speedo significantly

Precisely. This is why police officers aren't legally allowed to ticket drivers in most jurisdictions that are being clocked at 1-5MPH over. That is the margin of error on radars and speedometer.

Isn't this also where the "5mph above the speed limit is okay" rule comes from?

I've always been told that 5mph is cool because cops care more about the fact that you're going above 10% the speed limit... but then that doesn't make sense either as if you get caught doing 35 in a 30... you're screwed as 10% of 30 would be 33 lol.

matmanx1

You are not from the west coast. Most cars are now Teslas.

I work in Rome, Georgia and there are quite a few Tesla's even here. I see them regularly. Rome is a weird place because it is very much a college town but it also has a high concentration of medical professionals. You drive around and see both ends of the spectrum; the beaters that the kids are driving and the Tesla's, Porsche's, Audi's, BMW's etc. that the doctors drive.

When are you going to go?

I'd actually love to know how the market is for the Mazda Cosmo. Only 8,875 units were produced so I'm sure it'll be tough to get a hold of one, but it's something I've been really interested about ever since I found out about it. It could be a killer car, especially outfitted with the manual trans from the RX-7.

I'm heading there for Mid January. The main reason is the Tokyo Auto Salon, but I'm planning to hit up Ebisu circuit to do some driving if possible.

It's going to be a blast geeking out with the owners of various shops I've purchased parts from over the years.

Anion

Installed the raised red/black "edition 1" hubcaps onto the CLA. They look kinda tacky in the picture, but I think it looks better in real life
img_38201ysx6u.jpg

Full picture with whole car here

Wow amazing...some people are so clever

I work in Rome, Georgia and there are quite a few Tesla's even here. I see them regularly. Rome is a weird place because it is very much a college town but it also has a high concentration of medical professionals. You drive around and see both ends of the spectrum; the beaters that the kids are driving and the Tesla's, Porsche's, Audi's, BMW's etc. that the doctors drive.

That's basically Cali. You've got the rich kids and the poor kids, so you see it all. I pulled up behind a P85D and a 911 GTS the other day. Was amazing to see them, even on the highway.

Installed the raised red/black "edition 1" hubcaps onto the CLA. They look kinda tacky in the picture, but I think it looks better in real life

They stick out a bit too much for me but if you got it, flaunt it!

ESC installed. Took about 2.5 hours. No Procede linear controller until next month due to a couple weekend trips planned this month. Still waiting on the tune for the 2015 FR-S but I should have it tomorrow. Driving slow with this on will be a huge temptation in the meantime...

kPUyzFg.jpg

yRVfB39.jpg

ycbbXuA.jpg

*EDIT* ETA on tune is around a half hour. Time for a late night highway run...

I'm heading there for Mid January. The main reason is the Tokyo Auto Salon, but I'm planning to hit up Ebisu circuit to do some driving if possible.

It's going to be a blast geeking out with the owners of various shops I've purchased parts from over the years.

Oh man have fun. You gotta make it out to Daikoku Futo for the big meet before the Auto Salon too. Are you gonna see Andy from Powevehicles up at Ebisu? I got my 90 from him back in the day, selling it was the worst part of moving back to the states. Just a couple more years and I could import another, though. Hmm.

Very nice!

Visiting the Mazda museum is on my bucket list... gonna do this one day, hopefully within 5 years preferably lol.

You should actually check out their museum if you've got the time. Idk where you'll be exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's a quick bullet train from Tokyo to Hiroshima. Plus you can actually reserve a spot in their English tour online. From what I've read, the local hotels can even coordinate your stay and transportation to the museum and back. Of course Hiroshima has a ton of history as well so it should be an interesting visit.

ESC installed. Took about 2.5 hours. No Procede linear controller until next month due to a couple weekend trips planned this month. Still waiting on the tune for the 2015 FR-S but I should have it tomorrow. Driving slow with this on will be a huge temptation in the meantime...

So much yellow caps everywhere... good grief lol.

Those two colors look so much better than the red they've been showing all this time, jesus

2016-Acura-NSX-108-876x535.jpg

2016-Acura-NSX-110-876x535.jpg

Doug DeMuro had a good piece on why the NSX is going to fail as a halo car, and it's easy to see what he was getting at. The car is derivative of Acura's current styling, not evocative of future concepts like what Audi had with the R8. The NSX isn't a showing of what's to come from Acura, it's just another Acura that happens to be fast.

Browny

Banned
Much nicer than the standard model (but that's obvious).

I do rather dislike the obvious exhaust surrounds though (I can see the actuals poking through). Why not just fashion the tailpipe to be that shape in the first place?

I suppose 'it's protecting the paint work' would be one answer... Same applies to the RS6 too (and possibly RS4)...

Also, I think the NSX looks great.

*runs away*

Very nice!

So much yellow caps everywhere... good grief lol.

Yeah I either need to paint or replace those... Also I need to get rid of the OEM hood strut because I have CF ones now anyways.

Well, the AMG C63S coupe got "leaked." Was eventually going to happen once the regular version was revealed last week. Supposedly has the same specs as the 4 door. So beautiful...

So pretty. The new NSX looks good, but this looks amazing.

So, with the new tune for CA 91 and a bit of extra low end power coupled with the ESC for mid to high end power, this car feels like new again. It's really something. I'm not sure when you'd ever use all 90 seconds of boost, because last night I ran out of MPH before I ran out of boost on the highway.

With the procede to control it linearly it should make for a fun track car, but for now it's fun surprising people when I'm first at the light or when I need to make a pass on the highway.

I need to measure my 0-60 times and get it dyno'd sometime soon to see what the results are compared to when I got it dyno'd in February when it was stock except for the 18x8.5 wheels and tires.

J-Rzez

Blizzak's have been my choice since the WS-50. If i'm buying a snow tire, i buy as extreme weather duty as possible. I don't really believe in the "high performance snow tires" thing, went that route before, never again. I have a set of WS-80's for my 15 WRX, and they functioned beautifully, plus, didn't wear bad at all the past winter despite me putting more miles than usual on a car during winter.

You can "match overall diameter", but likely your speedo will be off though it will probably not be noticeable if you do it right. Should be no reason to get the speedo recalibrated it's so small of a difference.

Got a call from one of my perspective Ford dealers today. Told me they'll let me know as soon as I can reserve a Focus RS. No mark ups, and if I order the car through them, pick it up on week of delivery, I'll get it "at a good, negotiable price". Also, my soon to be wife's (Sept, yikes) job has a program with Ford as well. That discount is applicable on this car too.

Oh man have fun. You gotta make it out to Daikoku Futo for the big meet before the Auto Salon too. Are you gonna see Andy from Powevehicles up at Ebisu? I got my 90 from him back in the day, selling it was the worst part of moving back to the states. Just a couple more years and I could import another, though. Hmm.

Oh man, that's cool! (Just took a look at your user name). I'm actually looking to import a JZX100 Chaser or Mark II when I head over. I'm going to the car auctions, and see what I can find. I'm also working with a local importer, so I've been keeping an eye on how much it will cost me, and what the market looks like.

If I don't see or find anything, I'll just let my importer do the leg work for me.

I've actually been in contact with Powervehicles about purchasing a circut (missle) car in order for me to drive while I'm there. I need to order tires as well.

I do plan to hit up Daikoku Futo so hopefully they don't close it down before I get there.

And I'm all for you importing another JZX90 ^_^

Very nice!

Visiting the Mazda museum is on my bucket list... gonna do this one day, hopefully within 5 years preferably lol.

You should actually check out their museum if you've got the time. Idk where you'll be exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's a quick bullet train from Tokyo to Hiroshima. Plus you can actually reserve a spot in their English tour online. From what I've read, the local hotels can even coordinate your stay and transportation to the museum and back. Of course Hiroshima has a ton of history as well so it should be an interesting visit.

That's actually a great idea! I'm going to look into going.

I'm actually going to Nissan Heritage Collection DNA Garage, as well as the Nismo factory. I'm also going to Mine's garage and Spoon. I've also planned a few day trips to a few smaller car shops that I've been following (and or buying parts from). I hope to snap up a few smaller parts that I can take back with me. Larger items I'll have to ship back to Canada.

M52B28

Banned
How Not To Tow A Jeep - Good Bye AWD. In Chicago (Language)

This is so damn careless.

2015-mercedes-benz-s63-am-6_1600x0w.jpg

Mercedes-Benz+S+65+AMG+Coup%C3%A9+(2015)+Interior.jpg

2015-s-class-coupe-future-gallery-010-goi-d.jpg

gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd

lord help me if i ever get lifetime mula
Mercedes of today is absolutely murdering BMW in the styling departments. The new M3s, M4s, M5s, M6s, don't do anything. Whenever I see a 2015 Mercedes AMG, my jaw hits the floor and I just oggle it.

Also, my brother got a job at a collision site for BMW/German cars. They give him somewhere around 40%/60% off parts and they also give him dirt cheap leases on BMW and Mini cars.

There's a project E30 in our family, we're considering completely restoring the car with the discount. The car is mangled at the moment. Bent rims, no reverse gear, peeling paint, sagging drivers seat, no AC, dents, cracked front bumper. It drives great, but it just needs some TLC in the form of money.

Jackson

They arrested the guy who keyed that Aston Martin V8 Vantage in England

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-33980186

It's so weird. Why do people do this? I get it -- jealousy, but like you have NO IDEA who owns this car. Maybe they're a blue collar worker who saved up for years and bought a used Aston, their dream car which they take out on weekends. Maybe their ill spouse died of a terminal illness and told them to buy something nice with the life insurance money.

There's jerks in all walks of life, the "rich" get it just as bad as the poor, just differently. We all hurt, we all feel pain, we all have insecurities. We're all simply human. So just be cool to other humans because you have no idea what they're going through.

It's so weird. Why do people do this? I get tit jealousy, but like you have NO IDEA who owns this car. Maybe they're a blue collar worker who saved up for years and bought a used Aston, their dream car which they take out on weekends. Maybe their ill spouse died of a terminal illness and told them to buy something nice with the life insurance money.

There's jerks in all walks of life, the "rich" get it just as bad as the poor, just differently. We all hurt, we all feel pain, we all have insecurities. We're all simply human. So just be cool to other humans because you have no idea what they're going through.

Oddly enough, my bud's BRZ got gum on it multiple times in the past year he owned it. I've never had anyone mess with my FR-S.

Oh cool, I'm a member now :D

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wow, that C63S looks hot. First time I'd take an AMG over it's competitive BMW M model.

There was that exact color and model parked at our lunch spot today. The shots don't do the interior justice but it's a bit portly and high waisted for me.

Smokey

Told yall about that baby S Coupe. Mama S Coupe fine as fuck there was no doubt the baby was gonna come out looking fierce.

fuck

That's actually a great idea! I'm going to look into going.

Here's all the info you need I think: http://www.mazda.com/en/about/museum/

Hear hear. I mean I guess you can say there's more rich assholes than rich nice guys, but at the end of the day, it's all irrelevant, just treat people the way you'd wanna be treated by others.

I fncked up that saying right? Lol.

Told yall about that baby S Coupe. Mama S Coupe fine as fuck there was no doubt the baby was gonna come out looking fierce.

fuck

Out of context, this is the funniest thing I've read all day haha.

Anion

matmanx1

It's so weird. Why do people do this? I get it -- jealousy, but like you have NO IDEA who owns this car. Maybe they're a blue collar worker who saved up for years and bought a used Aston, their dream car which they take out on weekends. Maybe their ill spouse died of a terminal illness and told them to buy something nice with the life insurance money.

Preach it. If I ever have a car like that it will be because I saved for it for many years. I would hate to think that there's someone out there that would vandalize my dream car just because.

I often wonder why we can't just be happy for one another and aspire to good things, regardless of our circumstances. That's a topic for a different thread, though.

Top Bottom