• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

That Bentley... I've never been anywhere near the cars you're looking at so you don't want to take advice from me, but I'd have to have the Bentley. Gorgeous.

I kind of agree. Everything else about it seemed positive from the post, but the color and interior are just sublime.

With that being said, I really didn't want to live beyond my means so I'm jelly even though I'm 100% satisfied with my FR-S after around a year and $5000 in mods.

However, my SO loves it so that alone is enough for me to hold onto it. She loves the pseudo-bucket seats and how they hold you in without smothering you, she likes the size and sound of it, and she likes how it looks. Since we're the only ones driving in it most of the time, I'll consider that a win.

TCRS

Banned
If I had the money for a Bentley I would get the W12 engine. think about it, a W fucking engine. absolutely unique.

Evo X

That Bentley... I've never been anywhere near the cars you're looking at so you don't want to take advice from me, but I'd have to have the Bentley. Gorgeous.

I kind of agree. Everything else about it seemed positive from the post, but the color and interior are just sublime.

Agreed.

The color is called Kingfisher metallic. Apparently, a completely new color introduced in 2015, so it's very rare. I've never seen it on a Bentley before. Dealer said there are only two other ones in the entire state of Illinois. Interior looks and feels classy as fuck too. One of the few cars I've seen where the entire roof lining is leather.

If I had the money for a Bentley I would get the W12 engine. think about it, a W fucking engine. absolutely unique.

The W12 engine Bentley is worse in every way. Slower, less efficient, 200lbs heavier, worse sound, and ruins the handling dynamics because of the additional of mass on the front end. A rare case where bigger is not better.

The V8TT model also has improvements in other areas such as steering compared to the W12.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnJcl97CCM

psylah

Mazda's about to drop something real hot.

mazda-concept.jpg

RX-9 inbound. Buy stock in apex seals.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Does anyone have any experience with the Toyota Yaris (2005-2013 in particular)?
Right now I'm driving a 1996 Lexus ES300 and it's just precisely the wrong car for me. I want a small, agile car with good gas mileage and it is the opposite of all those things.
I know the Yaris isn't going to be anything too exciting, but it's small and has great gas mileage. I know it's going to be pretty slow (though probably faster than my ES300), but is it at least fun to drive? Is it pretty chuckable?

Mazda's about to drop something real hot.

mazda-concept.jpg

RX-9 inbound. Buy stock in apex seals.

Man, Mazda is on such a huge roll. They're like the Porsche of the lower-end market.

Ty4on

Does anyone have any experience with the Toyota Yaris (2005-2013 in particular)?
Right now I'm driving a 1996 Lexus ES300 and it's just precisely the wrong car for me. I want a small, agile car with good gas mileage and it is the opposite of all those things.
I know the Yaris isn't going to be anything too exciting, but it's small and has great gas mileage. I know it's going to be pretty slow (though probably faster than my ES300), but is it at least fun to drive? Is it pretty chuckable?

I found the 2013/14 model with the 1.33l 100hp motor surprisingly fun in winter conditions. It didn't understeer everywhere like the crap I'm used to and it had a decent six speed manual.

Mistel

Banned
Road and Track tested a Shelby Super Snake. Their test mule has 850HP according to Shelby American. Short gearing in the 6 speed affects it's quarter mile time with 12.3 at 116 mph it should be faster than a Hellcat Challenger but it ain't.

Makki

While exciting, I can't help but feel it'll boast underwhelming specs with a small motor.

A coupe with the engine from the Mazda 2, because fun doesnt need power but it certainly needs efficiency! LOW WEIGHT! SKYACTIVE!!! I GIVE YOU LESS THAN A 88 HONDA 1.6L WORTH OF HORSEPOWER ON YOUR SPORTS CAR!

...Im salty about the Miata

Evo X

Drove the RS7 today. Holy shit, what a machine.

The only way to describe the power is gut wrenching. I had lunch shortly before and full throttle bursts made me feel like I was gonna throw up. It's pretty much a supercar in a 4 door shell. Torque comes on early and strong. Think motor trend tested the 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. It would probably smoke my brother's R8 V10 in a drag race.

It honestly feels like a bit too much at times. Before we got to some more open roads, driving in the 35mph zone felt like torture. You got up to speed so quickly by just barely grazing the throttle. It felt like you couldn't utilize the potential of this vehicle without going to jail. Overtaking and closing gaps in traffic felt more akin to teleportation rather than driving.

Tight ratio and fairly weighted steering rack. Quite possibly the best of any Audi I've driven. For around town, I preferred to have the power train in Dynamic and the suspension in Comfort. It's quite bumpy in it's stiffest setting, and since you aren't going to get anywhere near the limits on the street, I'd rather have a smoother ride.

Grip for days. Some reviews mentioned understeer at the limit, but you would only notice that while pushing it on the track, and nobody who owns this would actually take it to one. I took it to my local twisties and it just flew towards the horizon and went through the longer bends at a sustained 80mph.

Looks are very striking as well. I like the rarity of this car compared to other super sedans. Got quite a few looks and approving nods from those in the know.

Wrapping up, if you need a year round family car, it's hard to imagine getting much better than this without spending considerably more money. This one had a ton of frivolous options (including a $16,300 worth of carbon fiber and red itching) as it was a demo car, but you can get a very nicely optioned one for under $120K. For that kind of money, I found it a more engaging drive than a BMW M6 GranCoupe and Benz S-Class.

Haven't driven a Panamera Turbo yet, but might give it a shot as I have to drop my Cayman off for it's first service tomorrow.

N5N8tV0.jpg

For a second there I was like "what kind of Audi owners congregate at a fnckin' Jason's Deli of all places??" LOL.

Anyway, now that I'm done hyperventilating about the Mazda concept... some interesting history.

48 years ago, Mazda released the Mazda Cosmo... the very first Mazda to use a Wankel rotary engine. Guess what milestone it would hit in 2 years?

The tailights of an RX-7.

Another possibility I can think of is that this is the Mazda version of the next gen FRS... but seeing as how that partnership was just announced this year, I can't imagine they can create a concept and show it to the world that quick.

Either way, I'm fncking hyped actually. The ND is a great little Miata, but I want something more and if this can provide that... might be an insta buy for me lol.

Another possibility I can think of is that this is the Mazda version of the next gen FRS... but seeing as how that partnership was just announced this year, I can't imagine they can create a concept and show it to the world that quick.

Either way, I'm fncking hyped actually. The ND is a great little Miata, but I want something more and if this can provide that... might be an insta buy for me lol.

We may just live in a world where the ND, the FR-S, and the 2015 RX-7 are available.
What a world.

Laws00

Can someone explain to me why people don't seem to like the 9th gen Honda civics? What is that people don't like about this gen in particular

As I said i'm new to Honda, been a Toyota man/fan since I was young

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wow, the Z06 on the track is hot garbage. Motor Trend ran one for Drivers Car of the Year and the car was probably pulling back 300HP+. Just awful. It was barely accelerating down the straights. So sad. How GM can release a track product like this is borderline a Tony Hawk 5 mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dguUQUq8JL8

AlphaSnake

Also, holy shit!

This is the Yellow AMG GTS I saw in my neighborhood here in Florida. It's not a press car, same license plate as the one I spotted. And it's only one of 4 yellow GTS' in the country. It seems like someone loaned MT this car for tracking use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1gWfUApp6A

Evo X

Wow, the Z06 on the track is hot garbage. Motor Trend ran one for Drivers Car of the Year and the car was probably pulling back 300HP+. Just awful. It was barely accelerating down the straights. So sad. How GM can release a track product like this is borderline a Tony Hawk 5 mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dguUQUq8JL8

Man, Chevy really fucked up with this Z06. Nearly every publication out there has had issues. Wonder how deep the problem is. They've had a year to figure it out and it's still no better.

AlphaSnake

Man, Chevy really fucked up with this Z06. Nearly every publication out there has had issues. Wonder how deep the problem is. They've had a year to figure it out and it's still no better.

They've actually come out and admitted they know the car does it and that it's intentional because the ECU is trying to ensure the motor can last for 100K miles minimum.

Which is double the fuckery to me. They're basically saying "look, don't push this car too hard, or the motor will blow".

If a 911 can withstand 100+ consecutive launch controls on its PDK in one sitting, no reason why this car can't deal with the heat and ECU issues.

GHG

Gold Member
Completely forgot about the Rapide S, probably because they are so damn rare. There are only 5 available for sale within a 250mi radius of me.

But yeah, agreed on the other points. These 4 seater coupes are pretty damn useless. The only one that had comfortable seating in the back was the Rolls, and that thing is a fucking behemoth.

No wife or kids at the moment, so not like I have to worry about this anyway. Mainly, I just had some free time and the weather was nice, so decided to go check out some badass rides. lol

These cars are more for my parents. If I was to buy a car for myself tomorrow, it would probably be a 650S Spider. Gonna go drive one sometime soon.

I didn't get to take the S6 through a series of twisties like I did with the other cars, so I can't offer the best impressions of the handling. Steering had decent weight in Dynamic mode and was precise in the few maneuvers I tried. I'd say it was better than the Benz, but not as good as the Bentley. At sane street speeds, the car felt planted, but I do know Quattro cars have a tendency to under steer at the limit. But, you don't buy any of these cars to track, so that shouldn't weigh heavily in your decision.

In terms of whether to buy the car or start a business, I'd recommend investing in your future. No car feels as great as the freedom you have working for yourself. You're only a little bit older than I am, and being young and single gives you the opportunity to put everything you have on the line without having to worry about dependents. Delaying the satisfaction of a new car might seem bitter now, but making some smart career moves instead will allow you to buy cars way better than an S6 later in the future. Besides, you don't have to spend big bucks to have fun. You could always take the middle ground and pick up a cheap motorcycle or used sports car in the mean time. Something that you can trade in a year later and barely lose money on.

Just my 2c. Feel free to say "Fuck it, YOLO" and do as you wish. lol

Oh don't worry, I know you're right. And hey, even if it doesn't work out I can always go back to what I'm doing now.

Great rs7 write-up btw. Its nice to read these impressions from somebody who isn't some jaded car journalist who has become desensitized to ridiculously fast cars.

I've seen quite a few RS7's here and my only criticism is that it doesn't look like a special car. There is something about it that makes it appear a bit plastic/cheap. Can never put my finger on it.

Jackson

1671665-poster-tesla-model-x.jpg

Well no one is talking about it in here, but...

VtRIt3t.gif

Fastest CUV... IN THE WORLD. Cool "Falcon" doors. Elon just invented a new door type name, cool I guess?

I actually love the idea of the mega windshield though. Sounds awesome. I'm totally test driving this thing.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Can someone explain to me why people don't seem to like the 9th gen Honda civics? What is that people don't like about this gen in particular

As I said i'm new to Honda, been a Toyota man/fan since I was young

They cheapened the car when the trend in compacts was to go more luxurious. That and the car had none of the enjoyable characteristics of previous Civics.

matmanx1

Added another car to the collection (for my son's mom to drive):

2001 E46 330i 5spd with Sport Package + Premium Package, 1 owner (55 year old Vietnamese engineer that lives in La Jolla so it was BABIED...). Didn't have time to take pics of the interior, just took a couple outside shots real quick. Lol when I took it for a test drive, I took it to about 3/10ths as I went downhill on a twisty road and he was like "Whoa slow down, I've never driven it that fast!" LMAO

xNFd0hmh.jpg

3KvwTaKh.jpg

Awesome find! Good luck with the purchase.

looking to buy a BMW 328 sedan myself. a used one for $25-28k, 2012-2013, certified, hopefully under 30k miles. I was looking at a new Mazda6 but after test driving both, I'd much rather have a 2 yr old 328. beyond impressed with the 328, so much so that i'm kinda upset at myself that it took me so long to hop on the 3 series bandwagon. oh, and considering that a brand new fully loaded 328 with every bell and whistle can cost $50k, a 2-3 yr old 328 for $25k is a damn steal.

anyone have a Carfax code I can use?

My dad bought a 2012 328i that was easily $40k+ sticker price for right at $25k this summer from Carmax. Only had 22k miles on it and looked nearly brand new in terms of paint and interior. He and mom both say it's the best car they have ever owned.

They've actually come out and admitted they know the car does it and that it's intentional because the ECU is trying to ensure the motor can last for 100K miles minimum.

Which is double the fuckery to me. They're basically saying "look, don't push this car too hard, or the motor will blow".

If a 911 can withstand 100+ consecutive launch controls on its PDK in one sitting, no reason why this car can't deal with the heat and ECU issues.

Well, there's a pretty big price difference between the two, right? That extra money that GM is not spending and not charging the customer has to be pulled from somewhere. I know it's not 100% true but in most cases you do get what you pay for. Pay a "cheap" price get a "cheap" car!

AlphaSnake

Well, there's a pretty big price difference between the two, right? That extra money that GM is not spending and not charging the customer has to be pulled from somewhere. I know it's not 100% true but in most cases you do get what you pay for. Pay a "cheap" price get a "cheap" car!

A Z06 with Z07 package costs nearly $100K. Same as a Porsche with a PDK. And the markup on a Porsche is considerably higher than a Corvette, so the cost to build one of these 911s is closer to a Z06 than most people realize. It just has a huge markup, Porsche is known to make the most dollars per car sold by a huge margin compared to all other makes.

Today was nice weather here in germany so I took the opportunity to wash my car.

4Gv54ew.jpg

rFqaxi9.jpg

Never was so emotional attached to a car of mine like this, and the attention it get's on the road is crazy. People waving, staring or even make pictures with their smartphone when they see the Mustang

Today was nice weather here in germany so I took the opportunity to wash my car.

4Gv54ew.jpg

rFqaxi9.jpg

Never was so emotional attached to a car of mine like this, and the attention it get's on the road is crazy. People waving, staring or even make pictures with their smartphone when they see the Mustang

Godamn, she's a beaut. I want a mustang, but I live in a complex with no garage and there is no way I'm having a RWD V8 running daily during the NE US winter :p

I never liked the look of the 15/16 stangs when they first launched, but now I love them. Such a great color too.

How long have you had her? I ask because I used to wash and wax myself, almost obsessively so, but after a year or so I've gotten past the honeymoon phase and do a full detail maybe once a quarter or so. Otherwise it's a drive through wash or a nicer hand wash place. Blasphemy I know, but after a few rock chips, general wear and tear, and some passenger side curb rash on the wheels, I still love my FR-S but I just don't baby her so much.

I do need to clean the engine bay though...

No Love

Banned
Awesome find! Good luck with the purchase.

My dad bought a 2012 328i that was easily $40k+ sticker price for right at $25k this summer from Carmax. Only had 22k miles on it and looked nearly brand new in terms of paint and interior. He and mom both say it's the best car they have ever owned.

Haha actually I already sold it to my friend, he wanted a new car and baby mama is not ready for a BMW.

Bandit1

4Gv54ew.jpg

rFqaxi9.jpg

Your car looks great Samurai! Deserves every bit of attention it gets.

Massage that good, eh?

LOL

AlphaSnake

4Gv54ew.jpg

rFqaxi9.jpg

Wow, what a color. Makes me miss having a blue sports car.

I'm seeing some modded ones around and damn...they look amazing when they're done right. The right wheels + spacers + drop...and I'm all DATASS.gif

Stock they still look a little odd depending on the wheel combo. But what a quick and simple fix to make it look downright stunning. Do you have plans for yours?

ameratsu

This colour is completely fantastic. Nice car!

Top Bottom