• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I finally won the car I was looking for, on the Japanese auctions...

raw-1_zpspwn3epcs.jpg

My new (to me) 1997 Toyota Chaser (JZX100)...

I can't wait till I can get my hands on it!

boltz

I love the S2000! I've looked around for one where I live, but they are all overpriced and usually tuned (not well either). Please make a new version Honda!

I like the FR-S quite a bit from the reviews I've seen, but the WRX seem like the better buy. After checking out the Mustangs more, I would have to get a beastly one to compete with my dad's 04 Mach 1. I would love a car to rip his apart.

Edit: Evo X, your Cayman is sexy. Jealous.

In that price range I'd check out the Focus ST and GTI as well. From a long-term reliability/quality perspective, I'd trust the WRX the most, but for me 5 doors > 4 doors and the current gen WRX exterior doesn't do anything for me. But if you live in a snowy climate, the AWD would be great.

nitewulf

raw-1_zpspwn3epcs.jpg

looks nice, but can you explain why it's desirable? checked the specs and doesn't seem great, is it easily modifiable, or you just like the shape?

looks nice, but can you explain why it's desirable? checked the specs and doesn't seem great, is it easily modifiable, or you just like the shape?

Have you heard of the 1jz / 2jz? The engine so good it hit Japan's legal limits of horsepower output at the time? The engine still desired by many JDM enthusiasts for the sheer level of fun it can induce?

Many FR-S drivers would dream of having the hardware that Chaser has. If it's in good condition (and it looks to be so), the potential for power and the modding capabilities are enormous.

That's no r34 gtr! ;)

It's the next best thing though. But, Doug Demuro's vids have me fawning over some day having a r34 gtr of my own...

Thanks guys! I did not thing I would actually find something as quick as I did. I wanted one as close to stock as possible, white, sunroof, and under 180,000 Km's.

I even got it UNDER my budget so there's more money for mods!

It was already mentioned, but the engine is over engineered and responds well to mods. Bolt-ons, bottom mount turbo, and a tune will get you 400HP to the wheels. Plenty of jelly to make those rear tires move.

And who doesn't like a four door drift car!?

This should be a fun build process for me, as I've only really dealt with S Chassis cars over the years. I'm always down to learn a new chassis.

That's no r34 gtr! ;)

That's the next import ^_^

matmanx1

Thanks guys! I did not thing I would actually find something as quick as I did. I wanted one as close to stock as possible, white, sunroof, and under 180,000 Km's.

I even got it UNDER my budget so there's more money for mods!

It was already mentioned, but the engine is over engineered and responds well to mods. Bolt-ons, bottom mount turbo, and a tune will get you 400HP to the wheels. Plenty of jelly to make those rear tires move.

And who doesn't like a four door drift car!?

This should be a fun build process for me, as I've only really dealt with S Chassis cars over the years. I'm always down to learn a new chassis.

That's the next import ^_^

Awesome! Keep us informed about the mods. Looks like this will be a fun and interesting project!

raw-1_zpspwn3epcs.jpg

I'm fnckin' jelly man!

I've been wanting a proper JDM luxo barge to do a VIP build, but the Mazda Eunos Cosmo JC's are so fnckin' hard to find, and it's even worse if you're across the Pacific... no importers wanna deal with expensive rotaries for some reason besides the RX-7.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the build man!

raw-1_zpspwn3epcs.jpg

My dad got to drive one of those when he was in Okinawa. Car feels really big on the narrow roads in the country but it was smooth.

Zyzyxxz

*tears*

Growing up I played Gran Turismo 1+2 on the OG Playstation and I thought, wow what is a Lancer EVO? Mitsubishi doesn't sell that here in America. Fast forward a few years later the Lancer Evolution VIII gets released in America for the first time I start seeing them on the streets. Now a little over a decade later our brief romance with the rally monster turned street tuner is over. I feel with the advent of electric cars we won't see something like this again. Cars come and go but there are some that definitely make a lasting impression on you.

mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-viii-mr_0.jpg

*tears*

Growing up I played Gran Turismo 1+2 on the OG Playstation and I thought, wow what is a Lancer EVO? Mitsubishi doesn't sell that here in America. Fast forward a few years later the Lancer Evolution VIII gets released in America for the first time I start seeing them on the streets. Now a little over a decade later our brief romance with the rally monster turned street tuner is over. I feel with the advent of electric cars we won't see something like this again. Cars come and go but there are some that definitely make a lasting impression on you.

mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-viii-mr_0.jpg

Same here.

My first intro to the Evo was with Gran Turismo as well, then a few started showing up in the Philippines where I grew up in. I got to the US and they're still rare as hell, but every time I saw one, it was like seeing a proper exotic on the street.

Hell even today they're still rarer than most supercars.

It is a car that transcends its brand and will go down in automotive history as better than the STI. ;p

Lol only hardcore Scooby fans will ignore this... Mr. Regular put up a coincidentally timed review of the Evo IX today and his statement about the Evo being a rescue puppy needing more love than most and ultimately embodying everything about you is pretty much spot on.

I personally still am tempted to buy an Evo myself considering how my situation just got better in the last few weeks. The only barrier of entry is whether I can let go of my Miata and that's another thing that I'm not so sure about.

*tears*
I feel with the advent of electric cars we won't see something like this again. Cars come and go but there are some that definitely make a lasting impression on you.

The EVO was, and will still be my dream car. It wasn't in the cards when I went shopping last year, but maybe some day.

Evo X

I'm so glad I got to own two new Evos. They were both different, yet special in their own ways. My first experience in a turbo car was test driving an Evo 9 when I was 17. The boost was intoxicating, and I loved how sharp the steering ratio was compared to other sports cars I had driven prior.

Such a blast to drive, especially in the winter. You forgot about the crap interior because the stuff that mattered for performance was amazing. Recaro seats, momo steering wheel, sweet short shifter, tight suspension, and a playful AWD system. I felt like a rally star taking that car to local twisty roads and tracks.

In fact my first ever track day was in my 400HP Evo 9. My instructor happened to be an ex-rally racing driver, and it was raining heavily. Perfect environment for the car, and a great introduction to the world of high performance driving.

Even though the Evo has died, it's spirit shall forever live on in my memories and username.

matmanx1

Sadness =( I've always liked and respected those cars even as I balked at the price. I hope Mitsu can get their act together and one day bring an updated Evo back to the world.

At 1,600 cars or whatever ridiculously low number they are bringing to the States I would hope they would have no problem selling them but one has to remember that the Focus RS is right around the corner and will be similar money for a much more modern car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I literally had a dream about washing an Evo VI hahaha.

And yeah, Mitsubishi has acknowledged that Gran Turismo is the entire reason why the car made it to the US to begin with.

Evo X

Had the chance to take out a McLaren 650S Spider and Rolls Royce Wraith today. Anyone interested in hearing my take on them?

Z3zb853.jpg

0rqo9ms.jpg

dL5P3kQ.jpg

raw-1_zpspwn3epcs.jpg

Congratulations man! You actually got through the auction process way fast so good job there. You just missed the 1JZ meeting at Fuji so make sure to hit that up next year! Until then you've got plenty to enjoy like the Auto Salon, Daikoku, so much.

Edit: also, between everyone commenting on your JZX100 and the Evo love I do think this has been the most Japanese page I've ever seen in this thread! Finally something besides ze Germans and Jaguars!

Griffer

Banned

raw-1_zpspwn3epcs.jpg

Awesome purchase, have driven a few and they are both comfortable on open road and really responsive for a larger Japanese car when you are pushing them.

So many mods available too.

May as well share my baby too, ever since I was a kid I dreamed of a proper WRC limited edition WRX from the V4-6 era but they are rare as hens teeth in any condition let alone in good condition so I was stoked when an unmolested one popped up locally.

1999 V6 STI RA Limited Edition #141

Only mods are a 3" straight through exhaust, baffled sump and SARD attack timer but it runs 18psi standard due to the exhaust so its plenty quick.

Body has done 270kms but the engine has done 70k on a rebuild from Possum Bourne Motorsport, was over the moon to view the car and get handed an inch thick folder of receipts for all servicing and the rebuild since it landed in New Zealand, the previous owner really took care of it.

I got it like the first pic but I have since replaced the ghetto blue tints with 35% all round and sourced an original spoiler for it (cost me a pretty penny)

xtyihfuw.4nv.jpg

0mlwlbeg.1ba.png

GHG

Gold Member
Had the chance to take out a McLaren 650S Spider and Rolls Royce Wraith today. Anyone interested in hearing my take on them?

Z3zb853.jpg

0rqo9ms.jpg

dL5P3kQ.jpg

Breh, don't tease us like this. Spill the beans. If you ever got a chance to drive a 12c I want to know how you felt the 650s compares.

Z3zb853.jpg

0rqo9ms.jpg

dL5P3kQ.jpg

Nah, none of them offer manual transmissions so I don't really give a damn about them.

Lol of course we're interested, what are you waiting for?? Haha.

How much should I pay for a decent shape and clean Miata? NA or NB.

All I'm seeing on Craig's list are suspect high mileage salvage titles.

Evo X

Cool, first the McLaren.

Wow, this took all the good things about the 12C and cranked them up to 11, and addressed all the small issues I had with that car. P1 styling is hot as fuck, especially in Tarocco Orange. This one also had carbon fiber interior, side panels, and door sills. Sound is also majorly improved with the optional sports exhaust, which was improved even further with the ability to drop the top. Now it has a proper bark with backfires, turbos spooling, and blow off valve. The transmission is a lot smoother and faster too. Up to par with the latest dual clutch boxes out there.

The acceleration in this car doesn't feel like real life, but more like hitting the boost button in a video game. Shit is like a never ending golden mushroom in Mario Kart. You see that horizon? You can catch that muthafuckin shit. Doesn't even matter what gear you're in. I hit the throttle at 2,000RPMs in 5th gear and it went like a bat out of hell. Easily the fastest car I've driven in my life. Made my Cayman feel like a dog on the way home.

Suspension has an even broader range than before in the different modes. In normal mode, this is easily the most comfortable supercar out there. Sport mode is stiff, but still very well damped. Race mode is too much for the street. Dealer said it was made for perfectly smooth pavement. For comparison, the optional X73 sport suspension on my Cayman GTS feels somewhere between this cars Sport and Race in terms of stiffness.

Steering has been made heavier and the feel is better. It responds instantly to inputs and I could not find a single curve on the street this thing couldn't take without breaking a sweat. If you buy one of these, it is a huge disservice not to take it to the track. You can instantly feel the years of McLaren racing technology & experience in this cars DNA. Throttle response is improved as well. The only thing that let's you know this motor is turbocharged is that immense swell of torque that only a boosted motor gives you.

Carbon brakes are also standard now, and they are certainly up to task of reigning that 650HP engine in at a moment's notice. Aero is more active than the 12C. The rear wing is constantly changing it's angle depending on if you need more acceleration, down force, or air brake. The wing comes up completely when you brake hard and blocks your rear view, so you can't see anything behind you. Hope nobody is following too closely.

Want to reiterate from my 12C review that this has the best forward visibility of any sports car I've driven. The front end is short and drops steeply, so you can see everything with a large field of view. It is enhanced further by dropping the roof. To me there is no downside to ordering the convertible. In fact, something like 90% of these cars are ordered in Spider spec. The hardtop mechanism looks like a coupe, there are no adverse effects on handling due to the carbon tub construction, and McLaren managed to keep the glass window over the engine bay. The window disappears on Lamborghini and Ferrari convertibles.

Overall, there isn't a single thing you can point to that makes the 650S better than the 12C, but rather a hundred small changes that add up to something big. No wonder the used 12C prices dropped so harshly when this things was revealed. As of now, it's the best sports car I've driven and I hope I can get one in my garage ASAP.

Dealer is getting a 570S demo car within a month, so if the nice weather holds, I will go take that out for comparison.

Gonna write a separate post later about the Rolls Royce as this one has gotten pretty long. I'm also invited to a private event featuring the new Bentley Bentaga SUV on October 20th so be on the lookout for impressions of that beast. I'll be meeting with some members of the design and engineering team, so it should be a pretty cool experience.

Smokey

So curious...test driving these cars and then the Bentley event.

You slanging that rock or what breh how you getting this type of access.

love,
Smokey

Top Bottom