• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

GHG

Gold Member
thoughts on Maserati GT?

You shouldn't be asking this. If you buy a Maserati GT you get one because it's an emotional purchase and because you want one.

For the money there are much better options you can have in that category of car. People I know who have one love the car and can't explain why they love it or why they decided to buy the car over the other options they were considering. It's not a logical purchase, it's an emotional one and sometimes cars are just like that. So please don't ask other peoples opinions when considering a car like this. It's a fucking Maserati.

Dat exhaust note though.

GHG

Gold Member
The full 33 minute MotorTrend Best Driver's Car 20115 video is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZBouwiYGU

Can't believe the Mercedes is that damn good. Hope I can take one out for a spin sometime.

Dated as fuck with a shit transmission.

Give me your needs/budget and I can make much better recommendations.

Yeh the AMG GTS is winning all sorts of accolades at the moment.

The current AMG lineup is the best they have ever had. The new C63 AMG coupe will be GOAT tier, I can feel it.

Evo X

The new C63 AMG coupe will be GOAT tier, I can feel it.

Yeah, I have a feeling the new C63 coupe is going to stomp all over BMW M and Audi RS.

What a dramatic shift. If you had said that 10 years ago, people would think you were nuts.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, I have a feeling the new C63 coupe is going to stomp all over BMW M and Audi RS.

What a dramatic shift. If you had said that 10 years ago, people would think you were nuts.

The C63 Sedan already slayed the M3 and ATS-V in a 3-way comparison Motor Trend put together. So the coupe won't be any different.

negitoro7

Got a test drive lined up tomorrow morning for a 2016 MX5, manual of course, and a 228i M-Sport. Nothing really planned for my birthday weekend, so why not :p. Might swing by Audi for the TT and S3, but those are out of my price range as is the M235i.

ascii42

The C63 Sedan already slayed the M3 and ATS-V in a 3-way comparison Motor Trend put together. So the coupe won't be any different.

Didn't the Caddy win the performance metrics in that comparison, they just liked the C63's V8 over the M3 and ATS-V's 6 cylinder engines (can't say I blame them).

AlphaSnake

Didn't the Caddy win the performance metrics in that comparison, they just liked the C63's V8 over the M3 and ATS-V's 6 cylinder engines (can't say I blame them).

Sort of, yes. It was fastest on the track. But lost steam in the 1/4 mile and had the slowest trap-speed (possibly from overheating lol). They also hated CUE. But on the track the AMG and the Caddy were splitting hairs pretty much.

AlphaSnake

The full 33 minute MotorTrend Best Driver's Car 20115 video is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZBouwiYGU

Can't believe the Mercedes is that damn good. Hope I can take one out for a spin sometime.

The Drag Race video they posted today is heavily edited. And doesn't actually reflect the times the cars ran that day - they are the same times recorded during past tests, which sucks. Also you can clearly see the AMG GTS finish the drag race ahead of the Betley as it outpaces it towards the end. But their video places it behind...yet it also has a MUCH faster trap speed.

Pretty poorly edited drag video.

No Love

Banned
Massage that good, eh?

Your car looks great Samurai! Deserves every bit of attention it gets.

LOL

Zing! Got me.

Actually, with the BMW and my upcoming Audi S4 I would have 4 cars and it's just not feasible to have so many cars around, my new apartment only has a garage and one parking space. I showed my friend the 330i and he fell in love with it so I sold it to him since all he has right now is a beater 04 Xterra (it's exactly like AJ's yellow Xterra in The Sopranos except 5MT!) and I honestly have too many cars. Baby Mama ended up getting my CRV so now I've got the Acura and S4. All is well.

(I will probably have another car by next month lol. I'm kinda hooked on finding mint 1 owner E46's and E39's, I know they're out there as I juat found one pretty easily and I know what I'm looking for.)

I won't buy any newer, expensive cars until next year. I just sold my business so I'm feeling pretty amazing and now I have the time to sit down and tinker with a twin turbo old German car so I'm pleased for now.

AlphaSnake

Zing! Got me.

Actually, with the BMW and my upcoming Audi S4 I would have 4 cars and it's just not feasible to have so many cars around, my new apartment only has a garage and one parking space. I showed my friend the 330i and he fell in love with it so I sold it to him since all he has right now is a beater 04 Xterra (it's exactly like AJ's yellow Xterra in The Sopranos except 5MT!) and I honestly have too many cars. Baby Mama ended up getting my CRV so now I've got the Acura and S4. All is well.

(I will probably have another car by next month lol)

You got an Audi S4? :|

No Love

Banned
You got an Audi S4? :|

A 2002 B5 S4, yes. I posted a mod list a few pages back. It's a 2 owner car that a good friend of mine got for free from his friend, the 1st owner.

I'm actually blessed because my friend is a serious German enthusiast that builds beautiful, reliable, functional old German cars. He sold my other friend a mint '95 E36 M3 for $5k and it had BBS CH wheels on it lol. When my friend ended up getting rid of it, he got $7k for the car and $1400 for the wheels! This guy has done amazing restorations on old Mercedes, he has a gorgeous blue 1st gen M Coupe, etc. He's a true enthusiast and gearhead and I'm very fortunate to be getting one of his cars. He's selling it to me for about $7k less than it's worth in my estimation.

She's almost ready, my friend just reinstalled the trans and engine and only the minor stuff remains to be bolted back up.

ykVJdQA.jpg

I'm not really an Audi guy but I feel the B5 S4 was about, oh, 10-15 years ahead of its time and it transcends its brand, much like any great classic car. I do believe they will be future claasics.

nitewulf

You shouldn't be asking this. If you buy a Maserati GT you get one because it's an emotional purchase and because you want one.

For the money there are much better options you can have in that category of car. People I know who have one love the car and can't explain why they love it or why they decided to buy the car over the other options they were considering. It's not a logical purchase, it's an emotional one and sometimes cars are just like that. So please don't ask other peoples opinions when considering a car like this. It's a fucking Maserati.

Dat exhaust note though.
whoa...I only mention it because no one talks about it here, and I see so many in Brooklyn. It's a gorgeous car to be sure.

Can you afford to maintain a temperamental Italian semi-exotic with an ugly ass interior? Decide from there.
I don't actually want to buy one.

Dated as fuck with a shit transmission.

Give me your needs/budget and I can make much better recommendations.
I am pretty set on the Cayman. Only issue being if I buy the base model will I regret it because I got the "weak" one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That doesn't wind up quite the same way. It's like I'm stuck buying this decade old car still.

Evo X

I am pretty set on the Cayman. Only issue being if I buy the base model will I regret it because I got the "weak" one.

Nope. Even the base model is one of the best handling cars on the planet, and the new bodystyle is sexy in any trim.

Coming around to the Mustang's look tbh

That blue above looks amazing

Yeah, that blue really makes the car. Funny to see how it gets so much attention in Germany, whereas in America everyone goes crazy for European cars.

Where's my S2000 successor?

I asked the same question yesterday during a conversation with friends. The conversation steered towards transmissions and I mentioned that the S2K gearbox was the best I've felt in my life. I wish Honda would make an S3000 with a high revving straight six.

AlphaSnake

A 2002 B5 S4, yes. I posted a mod list a few pages back. It's a 2 owner car that a good friend of mine got for free from his friend, the 1st owner.

Oh right the B5. I forgot about that. I thought you got a new one the way I read your post.

No Love

Banned
With an auto :(

S2000 gearbox is one of the greatest.

THE greatest. I have never touched a manual transmission that feels as amazing as the S2000's. With fresh fluid in it, it's like God made the gearbox for himself.

Oh right the B5. I forgot about that. I thought you got a new one the way I read your post.

Lol hell no, you really think I'd get a new S4? Yeah right! For a bit more I can get a '13 M5 6-speed CPO. :eek: Or numerous other wonderful cars. I'd rather get an E46 M3, another Evo, etc.

Zyzyxxz

I'm actually blessed because my friend is a serious German enthusiast that builds beautiful, reliable, functional old German cars. He sold my other friend a mint '95 E36 M3 for $5k and it had BBS CH wheels on it lol. When my friend ended up getting rid of it, he got $7k for the car and $1400 for the wheels! This guy has done amazing restorations on old Mercedes, he has a gorgeous blue 1st gen M Coupe, etc. He's a true enthusiast and gearhead and I'm very fortunate to be getting one of his cars. He's selling it to me for about $7k less than it's worth in my estimation.

She's almost ready, my friend just reinstalled the trans and engine and only the minor stuff remains to be bolted back up.

Where is your friend based out of? I'm planning on buying an BMW E28 5 series hopefully next year and dropping in an S38 in its future.

I've had my Raptor shift light for about a month now and still haven't had time to put it in :(

e93 is getting work today

82 degrees with no clouds in the sky

feels good man
Lucky. Cloudy with some rain hovering nearby today. No chance of taking mine out today.

Zoolader

ykVJdQA.jpg

I'm not really an Audi guy but I feel the B5 S4 was about, oh, 10-15 years ahead of its time and it transcends its brand, much like any great classic car. I do believe they will be future claasics.

Shit you got rid of the e46 so fast, that car looked mint. You have a nice enough collection of cars already though. That picture does scare me but I'm going to try and maybe rent time on a lift so I can install a new clutch in my S4. I just have to decide which one to buy first.

I've been looking at e39 bmw's for the past couple of hours and think they are really awesome cars. I think the estate e39 540i would be my preference and I've found a few nearby. Is the 528i the only e39 that came with a manual 5-speed gearbox? All of the e39's I'm finding have automatic transmissions and I don't know If I'd want to go through doing a swap.

No Love

Banned
Shit you got rid of the e46 so fast, that car looked mint. You have a nice enough collection of cars already though. That picture does scare me but I'm going to try and maybe rent time on a lift so I can install a new clutch in my S4. I just have to decide which one to buy first.

I've been looking at e39 bmw's for the past couple of hours and think they are really awesome cars. I think the estate e39 540i would be my preference and I've found a few nearby. Is the 528i the only e39 that came with a manual 5-speed gearbox? All of the e39's I'm finding have automatic transmissions and I don't know If I'd want to go through doing a swap.

No, the 525i and 530i did too. Any E39 is an excellent car. If you're looking for a more balanced, sporty car, get a 530i. If you care more about straightline speed, get a 540i.

The E46 was mint, inside and out. I actually regret selling it already, it would make a better beater than my CL-S 6 spd. Oh well. Guess I'll have to find another one or a 530i or something.

After my wash and wax yesterday, I went for quick drive and snapped some pics.

Cool thing is, I snapped these pics using a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens I bought for my new job, so of course I just had to take my Miata out and test out the lens and all that lol.

No Love

Banned
That's funny. I'm leaving my house right now and driving an hour away to check out this 6 speed 540i I just found on autotrader. Does that seem like a good deal?

Yes, it's not bad. Try to offer $6500. 6spd 540i's are hard to find in good condition for a good price.

Just bought 3 new cars, I'll post pics and details when I get them all to my family's house lol.

otakuderek

Hey all! I have a 2012 Honda Civic with 57,500 miles on it. It's my daily driver that is mostly highway miles. I've had multiple dealers email or call about buying my car offering about $11,000 for it. It's completely paid off on my end, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it to get another vehicle. It would need another DD for my 45 min drive to work. Any advice Auto-GAF on what to do and what would be a great replacement?

Evo X

Hey all! I have a 2012 Honda Civic with 57,500 miles on it. It's my daily driver that is mostly highway miles. I've had multiple dealers email or call about buying my car offering about $11,000 for it. It's completely paid off on my end, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it to get another vehicle. It would need another DD for my 45 min drive to work. Any advice Auto-GAF on what to do and what would be a great replacement?

If it's running fine and only for DD duties, why would you want to trade in a paid off car?

Is there a particular reason you want to move to a newer car? Looking for enhanced performance or certain features?

otakuderek

If it's running fine and only for DD duties, why would you want to trade in a paid off car?

Is there a particular reason you want to move to a newer car? Looking for enhanced performance or certain features?

Well, I only paid $13,000 for it in 2012. I would only be out $2,000 over the past 3 years. I bought the car very quickly as my old car died from old age. It doesn't have all the niceties that I wanted at the time, but its all I could afford. Also, someone rear ended me in it the first year I owned it. I would want something I enjoy driving and has more power, plus no accidents on it with only the assembly line miles.

Well, I only paid $13,000 for it in 2012. I would only be out $2,000 over the past 3 years. I bought the car very quickly as my old car died from old age. It doesn't have all the niceties that I wanted at the time, but its all I could afford. Also, someone rear ended me in it the first year I owned it. I would want something I enjoy driving and has more power, plus no accidents on it with only the assembly line miles.

Just a head's up, those emails / cold calls are often to get you into the dealership.
Rarely will you get the offered price.

With that being said, '16 Mustang / Miata / WRX, or wait for the new Mazda option that's being teased.

All are solid for their own aspects.

boltz

If you're not sure whether you should get a new car or not, you should probably not get one since what you have works for you. Get one when you actually want to satisfy a certain need, like better performance or for specific features.

otakuderek

Just a head's up, those emails / cold calls are often to get you into the dealership.
Rarely will you get the offered price.

With that being said, '16 Mustang / Miata / WRX, or wait for the new Mazda option that's being teased.

All are solid for their own aspects.

I have a hard offer from the Honda dealer since I do my service there and they see the condition I keep my car in (included with new car purchase). I was thinking I could get other dealers to match it for one of their cars. I've been looking at the '16 Mustang, WRX, and BRZ. I want more power and something fun to drive. Civic is just not getting it done.

I have a hard offer from the Honda dealer since I do my service there and they see the condition I keep my car in (included with new car purchase). I was thinking I could get other dealers to match it for one of their cars. I've been looking at the '16 Mustang, WRX, and BRZ. I want more power and something fun to drive. Civic is just not getting it done.

If you want the most power of the three, Stang. If you want a good balance of handling and power, WRX. If you want pure handling and the lowest price, BRZ. The gap between the WRX and the BRZ is pretty low though, so I'd lean towards the WRX more despite my love for my FR-S. The WRX is more practical in every way, really.

You could look for a used S2000 as well. But good luck finding a decent unabused one for the same price as the others. At least in my town :/

otakuderek

If you want the most power of the three, Stang. If you want a good balance of handling and power, WRX. If you want pure handling and the lowest price, BRZ. The gap between the WRX and the BRZ is pretty low though, so I'd lean towards the WRX more despite my love for my FR-S. The WRX is more practical in every way, really.

You could look for a used S2000 as well. But good luck finding a decent unabused one for the same price as the others. At least in my town :/

I love the S2000! I've looked around for one where I live, but they are all overpriced and usually tuned (not well either). Please make a new version Honda!

I like the FR-S quite a bit from the reviews I've seen, but the WRX seem like the better buy. After checking out the Mustangs more, I would have to get a beastly one to compete with my dad's 04 Mach 1. I would love a car to rip his apart.

Edit: Evo X, your Cayman is sexy. Jealous.

I traded in my '08 accord with 38k miles for a 2016 WRX.. no regrets..

I've had It about a month now. I still get excited when I walk outside to drive someplace.

Bandit1

I like the FR-S quite a bit from the reviews I've seen, but the WRX seem like the better buy. After checking out the Mustangs more, I would have to get a beastly one to compete with my dad's 04 Mach 1. I would love a car to rip his apart.

You don't see many of those Mach 1 Mustangs around, cool cars. A 2011 up GT 5.0 would outrun it though. A WRX may as well.

Edit: assuming the Mach 1 is stock

otakuderek

You don't see many of those Mach 1 Mustangs around, cool cars. A 2011 up GT 5.0 would outrun it though. A WRX may as well.

Edit: assuming the Mach 1 is stock

Definitely not stock. He has done some work on it, but I'm not sure on what. I just know I can hear it coming if he brings it over.

Top Bottom