• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ApharmdX

Banned
Yes. WRX.

It's the reason I haven't test driven a BRZ. I'm 90% sure I'd walk out of there owning it.

and 10% because I'm afraid I'd have my hopes and dreams crushed by it being too slow

I test-drove an RX-8 prior to test-driving the BRZ. I think that spoiled me on the BRZ, I just liked the RX-8 a lot more- more power (though heavier), handling was just as good, nicer looks, nicer interior, and I found the 8 more fun to drive. Ultimately I went the practical route and got a WRX but I still see the RX-8 around and feel a little down that I didn't get one... but my WRX has been hassle-free, and I doubt the 8 would have been, lol.

Mistel

Banned
2016 Cobra Jet:
2016-cobra-jet-ford-mustang-01-front-quarter.jpg
50 built 50/50 split between Oxford white and Deep Impact Blue. 8 seconds in the quarter out the box eligible for NHRA Stock and Super Stock and a smattering of other sanctioning bodies classes. Uses a blown 5.0 Cobra Jet with no N/A big block offered.

2014 Cobra Jet's won all of the NRHA Factory Stock Showdown races of this year so it'll be interesting to see how these do in next Factory Stock Showdown races.

Evo X

So, how fun is that Atom to drive? I don't think I've seen you talk about it much, but I've seen it in a few of your pics.

Crazy fun.

I've only driven it twice. Think I posted some impressions a while back. I mean, it's basically what you would expect, a larger street legal go kart. I wear my motorcycle gear when when driving it. It's loud as fuck so earplugs are highly recommended. You can hear the intake right behind your ear. Brakes sequel, the sticky tires kick up rocks, and it gets more attention than an Aventador. It's fast once the boost kicks in, and you can't get much more direct steering and brake feel. The handling around corners is the best part. Barely legal rubber + light weight = G forces for days. All the inputs are so immediate. Definitely not a car for beginners.

I'd never buy one though. Too extreme for me. If I want a fun, fast, impractical vehicle that I have to gear up for, I'd rather go out in a Ducati or BMW superbike.

boltz

I'm after reliability, gas mileage and third I suppose looks and technology. Civic scores high on all fronts to me. I've seen a lot of Mazda's with premature rust problems up here in Canada so I will steer clear of them due to that, which is too bad because they seem to be the most fun to drive in their price range. Ford Focus would be a nice option but they're pretty expensive here.

What about a Fit? A Mazda 3 or Fiesta ST would be much more fun to drive but it sounds like that's not a priority for you. I just love how versatile and roomy the Fit is. If you've never been in one, you should check it out.

ameratsu

I'm after reliability, gas mileage and third I suppose looks and technology. Civic scores high on all fronts to me. I've seen a lot of Mazda's with premature rust problems up here in Canada so I will steer clear of them due to that, which is too bad because they seem to be the most fun to drive in their price range. Ford Focus would be a nice option but they're pretty expensive here.

I don't think you can write off Mazdas because Protege / Protege 5s had shoddy rear quarter panels and poor rust proofing. Early Mazda 3s were also known to rust, but they've improved greatly since then. I don't think an 07+ Mazda will have any problems with rust.

Evo X

Had a cool opportunity today to meet up with a great guy and drive his GT4!

Such a fantastic car and a definite step up from my GTS. The power comes on earlier and remains stronger throughout the rev range. Awesome turn in with never ending grip. Michelin Pilot Cup 2s with 295 section rears make sure of that. The suspension in it's normal setting was actually a little bit more comfortable than the optional X73 sport suspension in my car. Steering ratio tighter as well.

The best thing was that manual transmission though. It was just so damn sweet to use. Finally something that dethrones the S2000 in that regard. Short and positive throws. Even though I love PDK and think it's the best transmission in the world, it was so satisfying to row the gears myself again.

It also had the optional carbon ceramic brakes from the 918 Spyder. 410mm rotors in the front!

The guy was super chill and even though this was the first time we met, he let me push the car as hard as I wanted. He also has a GT3 and agrees with my assessment that it's a terrible street car.

The GT4 is different though. It's perfectly driveable on the street. I honestly couldn't find a downside. Whereas the GT3 is a huge pain in the ass to daily when compared to a Carrera GTS, the GT4 is just as easy to drive as a Cayman GTS. In fact, this is the guy's daily. He's even going to put snow tires on it and drive it through the Chicago winter! The only negative I can think of compared to my car is that it doesn't have as good a sound system, but I think I can get over that when I have the soundtrack of a flat 6 revving to 8K RPMs right behind my head.

The two main complaints I've heard about this car from publications are long gearing and understeer. I didn't find either to be an issue. When you shift from redline, it's right back in peak powerband again and pulls hard. As normal Porsche practice, the HP numbers are under rated as hell. They say 385HP, but it dynos at 370 to the wheels, which while not supercar performance is definitely not slow, especially in a car that weighs less than 2,900lbs.

The understeer that Randy Pobst brought up during the MotorTrend review is overblown as well. Apparently, the car he drove wasn't setup correctly. He drove a customer's GT4 last week and took back what he said. Since the suspension is fully adjustable, all of that can be dialed to the owner's preference. This particular one was actually setup for slight oversteer. I didn't get near it's limits on the street, but from my experience on the back roads and highway ramps, this was the best handling car I've ever driven, with telepathic response and immense confidence.

Here's some pics. Exclusive GT Silver color. You can see his race prepped Sapphire Blue GT3 in the back that he was loading onto a trailer for a track day at VIR.

Also, check out his plate. lol

pgVyac4.jpg

sQpku1P.jpg

That car is my end game. Seriously. I'm perfectly content with the FR-S for now but the GT4 is just it to me. My favorite Porsche styling, the performance is exactly what I'd want from a car, and it's just all around solid.

lem0n

Such a fantastic car and a definite step up from my GTS. The power comes on earlier and remains stronger throughout the rev range. Awesome turn in with never ending grip. Michelin Pilot Cup 2s with 295 section rears make sure of that. The suspension in it's normal setting was actually a little bit more comfortable than the optional X73 sport suspension in my car. Steering ratio tighter as well.

The best thing was that manual transmission though. It was just so damn sweet to use. Finally something that dethrones the S2000 in that regard. Short and positive throws. Even though I love PDK and think it's the best transmission in the world, it was so satisfying to row the gears myself again.

It also had the optional carbon ceramic brakes from the 918 Spyder. 410mm rotors in the front!

The guy was super chill and even though this was the first time we met, he let me push the car as hard as I wanted. He also has a GT3 and agrees with my assessment that it's a terrible street car.

The GT4 is different though. It's perfectly driveable on the street. I honestly couldn't find a downside. Whereas the GT3 is a huge pain in the ass to daily when compared to a Carrera GTS, the GT4 is just as easy to drive as a Cayman GTS. In fact, this is the guy's daily. He's even going to put snow tires on it and drive it through the Chicago winter! The only negative I can think of compared to my car is that it doesn't have as good a sound system, but I think I can get over that when I have the soundtrack of a flat 6 revving to 8K RPMs right behind my head.

The two main complaints I've heard about this car from publications are long gearing and understeer. I didn't find either to be an issue. When you shift from redline, it's right back in peak powerband again and pulls hard. As normal Porsche practice, the HP numbers are under rated as hell. They say 385HP, but it dynos at 370 to the wheels, which while not supercar performance is definitely not slow, especially in a car that weighs less than 2,900lbs.

The understeer that Randy Pobst brought up during the MotorTrend review is overblown as well. Apparently, the car he drove wasn't setup correctly. He drove a customer's GT4 last week and took back what he said. Since the suspension is fully adjustable, all of that can be dialed to the owner's preference. This particular one was actually setup for slight oversteer. I didn't get near it's limits on the street, but from my experience on the back roads and highway ramps, this was the best handling car I've ever driven, with telepathic response and immense confidence.

Here's some pics. Exclusive GT Silver color. You can see his race prepped Sapphire Blue GT3 in the back that he was loading onto a trailer for a track day at VIR.

pgVyac4.jpg

sQpku1P.jpg

Do people consider this a supercar though? They shouldn't. Ultimate sports car, IMO

Evo X

That car is my end game. Seriously. I'm perfectly content with the FR-S for now but the GT4 is just it to me. My favorite Porsche styling, the performance is exactly what I'd want from a car, and it's just all around solid.

Yep. There's a guy on YouTube who said this is the best all around sports car in the world. Quite high praise from someone who also owns a 918 Spyder, GT3 RS, and a bunch of of other rare cars like Veyron, Pagani Huayra, and Ferraris/Lambos.

In fact, he even mentions if he had to get rid of all of the cars in his collection, except for one, he would choose the GT4!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swpgh1imsW8

Do people consider this a supercar though? They shouldn't. Ultimate sports car, IMO

I was just using supercar as a point of reference, especially since I've been driving so many of them recently. Did not mean to imply that the GT4 was one.

lem0n

Yep. There's a guy on YouTube who said this is the best all around sports car in the world. Quite high praise from someone who also owns a 918 Spyder, GT3 RS, and a bunch of of other rare cars like Veyron, Pagani Huayra, and Ferraris/Lambos.

In fact, he even mentions if he had to get rid of all of the cars in his collection, except for one, he would choose the GT4!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swpgh1imsW8

I was just using supercar as a point of reference, especially since I've been driving so many of them recently. Did not mean to imply that the GT4 was one.

Gotcha. What are your thoughts on getting one now? (If you passed on the opportunity already and I missed that part, excuse me haha)

Evo X

So when are you making your deposit? lol

I've had a deposit on one since the day they announced it back in February.

Gotcha. What are your thoughts on getting one now? (If you passed on the opportunity already and I missed that part, excuse me haha)

After driving it, I want one REAL bad. lol

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to proceed, either by getting a good trade in on my GTS or selling it privately. Not sure if I should keep my car for now or sell it and wait for the GT4. Good news is the resale market on the GTS is looking pretty solid. There are only 39 for sale in the country and the cheapest one(which has far less options than mine) is listed for $77K.

My GT4 allocation is for a May 2016 build, so that means June/July delivery. Got about 7 months before it would actually be here.

matmanx1

pgVyac4.jpg

sQpku1P.jpg

Good info! Sounds like exactly what you needed to be able to make a good decision about the GT4 purchase. And it makes me salivate on what driving a GT4 would actually be like. Along with the 918 (and maybe the Boxster Spyder) I believe the GT4 might be the best looking car Porsche makes right now and at the price they are asking for it it is a heck of a deal. Good luck with the purchase!

SummitAve

Banned
Not feeling that new Astin. From the lights and panes of glass to the overall shape, everything appears to be squinting like it's been smooshed and trying to burst out the rear.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not feeling that new Astin. From the lights and panes of glass to the overall shape, everything appears to be squinting like it's been smooshed and trying to burst out the rear.

It's not a real production car. It was made solely for the movie. It's just a V8 Vantage underneath, down to the engine and transmission with wider body panels and a slightly stretched wheelbase.

God I love trucks.
Parts are so cheap and plentiful.

Looks like I need to replace my front two shocks.
Probably gonna go with Bilsteins for about 65 bucks each.

Gotta replace the intake air temp sensor about 30 bucks.

Gotta replace the downstream o2 sensor which is 30 bucks.

And the barometric pressure sensor which is kinda pricy at 70 bucks.

Looking for some new tires as all 4 of my have a slow leak in them, anyone have recommendations for something with aggressive tread?

Got my Miata back.

They ended up pulling the valve cover to stick a vacuum hose in.

And apparently I need to buy a lottery ticket. Coz they would've had to pull the engine out if that didn't work.

Either way, it's back and during the drive home... I felt at home again lol. I've been driving my dad's 1st gen 6 sedan with the auto and while it was a comfy cruiser, I really missed rowing my own gears plus RWD is just such a joy to drive in.

I had plans on test driving a couple of cars tomorrow actually... but I think I'm gonna hold off on it for at least a week. I feel like I'm in a honeymoon phase right now since it just feels great driving my Miata again lol.

matmanx1

Got my Miata back.

And apparently I need to buy a lottery ticket. Coz they would've had to pull the engine out if that didn't work.

Either way, it's back and during the drive home... I felt at home again lol. I've been driving my dad's 1st gen 6 sedan with the auto and while it was a comfy cruiser, I really missed rowing my own gears plus RWD is just such a joy to drive in.

I had plans on test driving a couple of cars tomorrow actually... but I think I'm gonna hold off on it for at least a week. I feel like I'm in a honeymoon phase right now since it just feels great driving my Miata again lol.

Glad you got it back without too much hassle and in good repair. I agree with you about the feel of rowing your own gears in a RWD car, especially if it has a decent power to weight ratio. It's such a simple formula but something about it just feels "right".

I drive one of the most basic BMW's on the road right now; no forced induction, no AWD, no iDrive or programmable settings, old school hydraulic assisted steering and no automatic transmission. Despite being only an 09 model I already think of it as something of a throwback, from an earlier age of thought about mainstream car design.

Yet it continues to be an engaging daily driver that is satisfying to own and operate. It's not a sports car (not by my definition, anyway) but you can tell that it was designed by people and for people that like cars and are automobile enthusiasts. I hope there are always cars like that available for those of us who like driving and are passionate about the machines that we operate.

Fonds

I hope there are always cars like that available for those of us who like driving and are passionate about the machines that we operate.

I get what you mean. In a lot of 'newer' cars that I've driven I just don't feel excitement. Most cars now aren't meant to be, but there are just very few cars that engage you as a driver.

Older cars that had the same purpose were at least more capable of letting you 'feel' the car. The throttle response, electric steering and silent cabins provoke absolutely no feeling in me.

It's pretty much one of the main reasons I like my Saab and other young/oldtimers. They are pure cars, there is nothing but driver engagement and I love them for that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Despite a recent horror story, I changed my spark plugs for the first time today in preparation for my tuning appointment. Everything appears to have gone smoothly. I borrowed an adjustable torque wrench from my father in law, set it to 14 lbs, and tightened the first bolt what seemed like a lot without any click telling me I'd reached that point. So I stopped, switched to my smaller torque wrench to check how tight it was and with effort I could make it go tighter, so hopefully it wasn't over done. I used my own for the rest and tightened by hand then a good quarter turn more with the wrench.

Car seems to be running fine at least. No noticeable change in drivability, but the removed spark plugs looked fine so that's probably to be expected.

Despite a recent horror story, I changed my spark plugs for the first time today in preparation for my tuning appointment. Everything appears to have gone smoothly. I borrowed an adjustable torque wrench from my father in law, set it to 14 lbs, and tightened the first bolt what seemed like a lot without any click telling me I'd reached that point. So I stopped, switched to my smaller torque wrench to check how tight it was and with effort I could make it go tighter, so hopefully it wasn't over done. I used my own for the rest and tightened by hand then a good quarter turn more with the wrench.

Car seems to be running fine at least. No noticeable change in drivability, but the removed spark plugs looked fine so that's probably to be expected.

Was 14 lbs a lot or a little for that wrench? If it's a clicker wrench and it's set pretty low in its range, the click can be very slight until you know what it's supposed to feel like. When I first used a clicker torque wrench I shredded a 6mm bolt because it didn't feel like it had clicked and I just kept on going--thankfully it was a test spot and a bolt I didn't care about.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Was 14 lbs a lot or a little for that wrench? If it's a clicker wrench and it's set pretty low in its range, the click can be very slight until you know what it's supposed to feel like. When I first used a clicker torque wrench I shredded a 6mm bolt because it didn't feel like it had clicked and I just kept on going--thankfully it was a test spot and a bolt I didn't care about.

The scale on it goes from 10 to 150. I turned off music and felt nothing. Hopefully it's fine... But now I'm stressed. Oh well, they are platinum iridium, so I'll get 60k out of em before I have to change em again.

Funny story... my brother was working on Mazdaspeed3 a month or so back.

He had to take off the intake manifold to replace a gasket, everything was almost done until towards the end where he sheared off one of the bolts connecting the manifold to the block from overtightening with a torque wrench.

We spent all weekend trying to remove the remaining part of the bolt but no luck and ended up having to tow it and get it fixed by the same dealership that fixed up my Miata. They didn't have trouble taking out the bolt, the trouble was the specific bolt he broke as it's super duper special and the dealer had to order it directly from Mazda USA themselves.

Needless to say, I think my family is just not cut out to work on cars lol. So from this moment on, we've swore off on getting our hands dirty and let others do it instead.

Yay! Glad they got it out without too much trouble, that would have been a total downer.

Yep. They said it would've took at least 15+ hours to remove and dismantle the block. That's about $1500 just in labor right there, compare that to the 2 hours it took them to remove the valve cover and vacuum it out.

I hope there are always cars like that available for those of us who like driving and are passionate about the machines that we operate.

Same here.

Besides the Miata, Fo/Fi ST, Toyobaru, and WRX/STI, there aren't really any cars that can exhibit this quality these days. A majority of the cars are just purpose built for track or whatever and while that's fine and all, it'll be a lot better if a majority of cars are just fun to drive on any type of road surface.

Evo X

My GT4 build date got moved forward to February!

Just submitted my order. White with 918 Spyder carbon fiber bucket seats. I love my red GTS, but wanted to switch it up a little. I remember the whole debate we had on those two colors back when I was initially speccing and now I'm all like

enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg

Also, I didn't want people to think I just slapped a big wing on my GTS. lol

Opted for European Delivery as well!

Hope they let it go through. Think it would be fun as hell to pick up there and drive all over the continent. Would make a sweet video blog for the GAF YouTube channel as well.

TTTR

YES! See you in February!

[EDIT]: Be warned though, there have been long discussions over the 918 seats and no real confirmation from porsche. you may not get the carbon fiber seats. they are not in stock since september and multiple buyers have been told there are safety problems. when the car catches fire these seats burn significantly faster than normal seats. so porsche opted to not offer them anymore.

Bandit1

Got my Miata back.

Glad that's resolved! And it always feels good getting back in your own car. I know any time I get behind the wheel of my mom's car or my dad's truck I'm always thinking - I wish I was in my car..

Just submitted my order. White with 918 Spyder carbon fiber bucket seats. I love my red GTS, but wanted to switch it up a little. I remember the whole debate we had on those two colors back when I was initially speccing and now I'm all like

enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg

Also, I didn't want people to think I just slapped a big wing on my GTS. lol

Hope they let it go through. Think it would be fun as hell to pick up there and drive all over the continent. Would make a sweet video blog for the GAF YouTube channel as well.

Nice! Driving it cross country would be pretty awesome, like the Cannonball Run lol

DrMungo

AutoGaf

I need you opinion
I came across listing for Porsche 911 carrera cab. It's a 1999 and 75k on miles they're asking for 16k. Hard top included. Seller admits clutch might be loose but otherwise runs well. I already have a outback and Corolla for beater/people moving purposes. I can tolerate 5-7k repairs if needed. Is this still a good deal?

Anion

Im probably being a major noob, but I was trying to deflate my tires to install these "rim ringz" protectors just cause they looked cool lol. They have these grips that hook inside the rim, under the tire. I was trying to install them, but the tire wasnt deflating... Then I checked the tire pressure with the air pump that came with the car and that showed the tire was at 0 psi...so Im thinking either its improperly calibrated or like I'm doing this wrong. I waited a while deflating them with pushing in the pin and the tire was still rock solid.

The tires are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT MO summer tires that I need to replace for the winter anyways. I know nothing of tires, so Im not sure if this means much but it says it is radial and tubeless...

How the heck to I even deflate them lol?

Get one of those tire pressure gauges with a button that releases air. I've got one and it's super useful since my compressor tends to over inflate the tire by a couple of PSI lol.

This is the one I've got: http://www.joesracing.com/series-198267-joes-tire-pressure-gauge.html

Awww yiss.

And I agree actually about the white. I saw a white 911 a few weeks ago at work, and my god it was beautiful. My Miata looked like some kind of JDM hellaflush thing next to it. :(

Glad that's resolved! And it always feels good getting back in your own car. I know any time I get behind the wheel of my mom's car or my dad's truck I'm always thinking - I wish I was in my car..

Haha yep. I had to drive that Mazda6 again yesterday since I needed the trunk space for some furniture and the entire time I was thinking of turning back, grabbing my Miata, then getting my mom an Uber for the drive home in case we couldn't fit the box in lol.

Whats going on with that?

I was wanting to do a video review of the Miata but I haven't had the chance to due to the spark plug nightmare. With it back though, I'll hopefully have something this week or the next.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Took the fiance' out with me for a Challenger test drive yesterday. First time she's come with me. She's a good sport, but she just doesn't "understand" why I want this car - to her, it makes no sense to buy a vehicle for more than ~$15K, as it's nothing more than to get from A to B. Her parents, while they do well for themselves, have always driven the typical Corolla-esque four door. Heck, her dad right now drives something nearing 200,000 miles. Meanwhile, I learned to drive in my dad's (at the time) brand new, manual, Corvette in 2002 when I was 13. So, different backgrounds and all that.

They had a black RT Plus - the standard V8, and I asked the salesman if I could take it out and try to convince my wifey-to-be that it's fun for a reason. No issues; tossed us the keys and I told him we'd be back in 30 minutes. The dealer says "feel free to get on it," and I obliged. After ten minutes of driving it around and lighting up the tires a couple times, she wanted to drive. Lol. Instantly, she spent the last 20 minutes flooring it over and over and over again, lol. She loved it.

She absolutely "got it." So now sometime soon she's agreed to test out the Scat Pack with me :p

22458454368_79ecc4fbbc_c.jpg

... Funny enough, she talked about it for about 20 minutes afterwards. All I could do was smirk, because, honestly, the standard RT really isn't all that quick if we're being blunt.

EDIT: Also, we both agreed the upgraded Alpine sound system is kind of shit. I'd pay to upgrade to the package that includes a sub.

Took the fiance' out with me for a Challenger test drive yesterday. First time she's come with me. She's a good sport, but she just doesn't "understand" why I want this car - to her, it makes no sense to buy a vehicle for more than ~$15K, as it's nothing more than to get from A to B. Her parents, while they do well for themselves, have always driven the typical Corolla-esque four door. Heck, her dad right now drives something nearing 200,000 miles. Meanwhile, I learned to drive in my dad's (at the time) brand new, manual, Corvette in 2002 when I was 13. So, different backgrounds and all that.

Reminds me of something from years back. A friend's husband was buying a new car for himself and when she heard the price her response was "wow, you could buy an SUV with that money". Was the same situation of her seeing vehicles as just a way to move around and the more you spent the bigger they should be for being able to move more stuff.

It's a phrase that has become a kind of inside joke with them now.

SliChillax

In honor of the new James Bond movie Spectre I thought I'd post two of the cars featured in the film. It seems like I've always had a soft spot for Aston Martin and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with watching James Bond movies when I was younger. It doesn't hurt that they make some of the most beautiful cars in the world, and that I'm fond of grand tourers.

For Spectre Aston Martin built a special car just for the movie, one that would reflect James Bond's style and point at future designs for the company, the Aston Martin DB10:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03458/Aston-DB10-skid_3458774b.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03458/Aston-DB10-side_3458771b.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03458/Aston-DB10-rear_3458767b.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03458/Aston-DB10-interio_3458762b.jpg[img]

A couple of bonus videos:

[URL="http://youtu.be/oSJ8ryVlM8A"]Aston Martin Official Video[/URL]

[URL="http://youtu.be/q8uScC566rI"]Jay Leno's Garage featuring the designer of the Aston Martin DB10[/URL]

But of course James Bond (and his car) needs a formidable nemesis, and this time the bad guy will be behind the wheel of the Jaguar CX75, a car that was reportedly headed for production, but unfortunately those plans were axed.

[img]http://i.dmarge.com/2015/09/jaguar-cx75-01.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.dmarge.com/2015/09/jaguar-cx75-03.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.dmarge.com/2015/09/jaguar-cx75-02.jpg[img]

[spoiler]sorry for the picture overload, but these cars are beautiful![/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I wanted to note that the Aston has a Boost gauge in the instrument cluster. They're definitely hinting turbo engine for their future cars.

SliChillax

http://i.imgur.com/pgVyac4.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sQpku1P.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
What an amazing car! Glad to hear about the understeer issue that has been solved, it was such a shame (and weird) to hear about understeer problems in a car like this. I think this is the cherry on top as far as sports car come. Manual? Check. Light? Check. Naturally aspirated mid engine? Check. What more do you want? It's incredibly expensive though. You could get an M3/M4 for that amount of money and while they're totally different, one would argue that an M3/M4 can be an everyday car while the GT4 is more of a second/third car to own. My dad had a 981 Boxster 2.7 and while it lacked in power, it made you feel special. Can't imagine how the GT4 must feel. We unfortunately sold the Boxster as it was too impractical and got the M235i which is a perfect everyday car and a perfect weekend car altogether. Btw just something I noted and had to correct, the GT4 does not use the same ceramic brakes as the 918.

AutoGaf

I need you opinion
I came across listing for Porsche 911 carrera cab. It's a 1999 and 75k on miles they're asking for 16k. Hard top included. Seller admits clutch might be loose but otherwise runs well. I already have a outback and Corolla for beater/people moving purposes. I can tolerate 5-7k repairs if needed. Is this still a good deal?

Depends entirely on what the PPI says. If you're willing to spend that on repairs you should be fine, but first step will be resolving the IMS issue. Google porsche 996 IMS and proceed down the rabbit hole; basically that engine line sometimes has a catastrophic failure that scraps the engine entirely, but there's a preventative fix that costs about $1k.

Evo X

What an amazing car! Glad to hear about the understeer issue that has been solved, it was such a shame (and weird) to hear about understeer problems in a car like this. I think this is the cherry on top as far as sports car come. Manual? Check. Light? Check. Naturally aspirated mid engine? Check. What more do you want? It's incredibly expensive though. You could get an M3/M4 for that amount of money and while they're totally different, one would argue that an M3/M4 can be an everyday car while the GT4 is more of a second/third car to own. My dad had a 981 Boxster 2.7 and while it lacked in power, it made you feel special. Can't imagine how the GT4 must feel. We unfortunately sold the Boxster as it was too impractical and got the M235i which is a perfect everyday car and a perfect weekend car altogether. Btw just something I noted and had to correct, the GT4 does not use the same ceramic brakes as the 918.

1) Even a well optioned M3 costs far less than my GT4 spec.

2) They are two completely different cars. One is a mass produced heavy turbocharged luxury sports sedan, whereas the other is a limited production lightweight pure bred sports coupe. Doubt many people are cross shopping them.

3) Don't know where you got your information from, but the GT4, GT3, GT3RS, and 918 Spyder use the exact same PCCB discs (410mm front/390mm rear)

SliChillax

1) Even a well optioned M3 costs far less than my GT4 spec.

2) They are two completely different cars. One is a mass produced heavy turbocharged luxury sports sedan, whereas the other is a limited production lightweight pure bred sports coupe. Doubt many people are cross shopping them.

3) Don't know where you got your information from, but the GT4, GT3, GT3RS, and 918 Spyder use the exact same PCCB discs (410mm front/390mm rear)

My friend was thinking about an M4 or GT4, people do consider both because at the price point they ask for a GT4 you automatically start to consider what else you can buy for the same amount of money or less. As for the brakes, I was informed by the Porsche dealer that they were different since the ones on the 918 cost way more to replace. Wonder why's that when they're the same? I find it weird having a $900,000 car and sharing the same brakes with a 100k one.

DrMungo

Depends entirely on what the PPI says. If you're willing to spend that on repairs you should be fine, but first step will be resolving the IMS issue. Google porsche 996 IMS and proceed down the rabbit hole; basically that engine line sometimes has a catastrophic failure that scraps the engine entirely, but there's a preventative fix that costs about $1k.
Yeah I read about that IMS issue. That's part of the repair figure with the clutch. Sorry for the noob question. But what's the PPI?
Edit: prepurchase inspection - PPI. Thanks!

Evo X

My friend was thinking about an M4 or GT4, people do consider both because at the price point they ask for a GT4 you automatically start to consider what else you can buy for the same amount of money or less. As for the brakes, I was informed by the Porsche dealer that they were different since the ones on the 918 cost way more to replace. Wonder why's that when they're the same? I find it weird having a $900,000 car and sharing the same brakes with a 100k one.

Nobody is cross shopping them because GT4s are all sold out with an extensive wait list, whereas there are hundreds of new M3s/M4s sitting on dealer lots across the country. M3 competes with Benz C63 AMG, Audi RS5, and Lexus RCF. Price isn't the only consideration when shopping. Most people don't compare cars on different ends of the spectrum. Let me know what your friend decides to get.

Also, I know more about Porsche's than 99% of car salesman. Most of them just pull things out of their asses.

The 918, GT3, and GT4 all use the same brakes because it is easier to manufacture one set, instead of 3. The reason they are more expensive on a 918 is because somebody who buys one has an exponentially higher income than a GT4 owner, and Porsche exploits that fact.

Top Bottom