• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
GT4 won over the McLaren, the 911 GT3RS AND the Ferrari? Yeah, color me surprised! I'm also a little bit surprised that the Z/28 finished underneath the Evora 400. I have nothing but praise for what Lotus has done with the Evora but the amount of R&D that went into the Evora is probably 1/10th what GM put into the Camaro reboot.

I'd love to read their notes on this test and hopefully watch a video on it when they finally release it.

Evo has a massive hard-on for the Evora because of lol patriotism crying bulldog. Seriously, they have hyped that rolling disappointment of a car for years for no other reason than it's British.

That Hellcat is super hot. Are they readily available without markups?

hwalker84

Oh man. Freaking awesome! Congrats. Love the black, the brown interior, and the six speed. Mad jelly bro.

Holy shit. It's stick!!!

You are a God amongst us. Thank you for your contributions.

Holy hell, that's amazing!

You better be using the red key everyday lol.

Sidenote: how come Challengers are holding up their value really well? I've seen a number of V8 Mustangs and Camaro SS' for under $20K yet none of these Challengers show up? I actually want one tbh lol.
I feel like I asked this question before too lol.

Looks sick! Love the wheels too!

Bruh.

I have to be honest... I'm terribly jealous. Just absolutely seething green.

I will own one of those someday. God as my witness, I will own one someday.

That said, helluva an awesome pickup, man. Beautiful, beautiful car. That color combo is siiiick - and a stick, too!

Awesome dude! I like the flat gold rims with red calipers on black paint. Reminds me of a 458 paint scheme. I'm really happy for ya!

These cars are aesthetic perfection to me.

Grats man.

Thanks everybody. I'm seriously blown away by how different this car is too my 2009 R/T. Such a sick ride.

As for why Challengers seem to hold their value... I guess it's demand. My 09 held a lot higher value than I expected when I sold it last October.

So the 2016 Ford GT is nice. That price tag though. Jeez.

But man the interior is improving. I remember sitting in a $60,000 Cobra one year, and I looked at the interior and it reminded me if a mini van.

They have certainly improved.

Also:

Would you get the V6 or the eco boost version if GT is not in the cards. Im a ways off, as I have 2 years to go on my lease, but I have been impressed with how the Mustang is trying to catch up to the M3 and in some reviews is getting pretty damn close.

Thoughts?

matmanx1

It's about time I joined in on this part of GAF. I've been a car enthusiast for as long as I can remember.
Seeing what kind of cars some of you drive has been entertaining to read for sure. From trusty bangers to high-end sportscars, such a nice mix.

However, I can't just drop in and say "hi" without sharing what gets me around though:

35mnuad.jpg

243jp0m.jpg

It's a 1993 Saab 900 Classic, Low Pressure Turbo (soon to be upgraded), leather interior, Aero sports trim and Aero deep dish rims.
I love this car dearly. It's such a blast to drive. Sure it's not the fastest car but even compared to some more modern rides it's pretty quick (especially once that turbo kicks in).
I'm planning to upgrade the engine with some bolt on upgrades (mostly for turbo performance) such as an intercooler APC and eventually straight pipes.

Any more Saab owners here? I'd love to see what you've got!

Nice Saab! I like it very much. And welcome to Auto-Gaf. We're actually a fairly civil and upbeat group around here (and we have the best photos in all of Gaf'dom. Seriously, you did see those Hellcat shots at the top of the page, right?!).

Mistel

Banned
Basically. It's the epitome of American muscle.
More like Dodge has hit the key part of the target demographic with the retro influenced styling and available options coupled with the available features it offers. It's still in the pony car division or the weird mishmash market segment of sport / pony car / personal luxury coupe / GT that's its evolved into over the decades. No love lost between it a Roadrunner or Super Bee etc as they're a very different market of cars.

mkenyon

Banned
More like Dodge has hit the key part of the target demographic with the retro influenced styling and available options coupled with the available features it offers. It's still in the pony car division or the weird mishmash market segment of sport / pony car / personal luxury coupe / GT that's its evolved into over the decades. No love lost between it a Roadrunner or Super Bee etc as they're a very different market of cars.
But that market doesn't really exist anymore.

I mean, it is a frills-filled drag racer that actually has some handling, but it's still much worse than anything that it compares to. So, even if they're different markets, it's the same niche.

I don't think the "retro influenced styling" is why the car is so sought after. I mean, I grew up driving and lusting after Japanese Imports (got my license in 1999), so it doesn't resonate with me as something that harkens back to cars I lusted after.

It's just straight up gorgeous and simple.

Fonds

Nice Saab! I like it very much. And welcome to Auto-Gaf. We're actually a fairly civil and upbeat group around here (and we have the best photos in all of Gaf'dom. Seriously, you did see those Hellcat shots at the top of the page, right?!).

Thanks for the kind words! And (hah! dear me) scrolling through these past few pages these shots definitely do it for me.

The interior of that Hellcat is class. It's amazing how the American Car industry has managed to pull their top tier cars out of plastic purgatory in a few years.

It's just straight up gorgeous and simple.

Yeah, this to me is the appeal of the Challengers I think.

The Mustang before this new generation didn't really appeal to me. It's nice, reliable, the solid axle didn't really concern me either, it just didn't resonate with me at all.

The Camaro is actually really cool, but the lack of rear visibility completely turned me off from it.

The Challenger on the other hand, I actually don't really know why I love it. I've driven an older V6 automatic and while I didn't necessarily like the interior, I felt like I was at home in it. A few months ago I got the chance to drive the 2015 SRT with a stick and I was in love. The noise it made, the surprisingly good shifter(it wasn't as good as my Miata, but damn it was good), and that intoxicating power... man, I really want one now lol.

I made the fatal error of test driving a car I was interested in today. I know, I know rookie mistake. :p
I swear I thought it would solve my lust for it but nope. And I can't get one for quite some time so....:(
Has this ever happened to you guys before and with what car?

mkenyon

Banned
Yes. WRX.

It's the reason I haven't test driven a BRZ. I'm 90% sure I'd walk out of there owning it.

and 10% because I'm afraid I'd have my hopes and dreams crushed by it being too slow

It's the reason I haven't test driven a BRZ. I'm 90% sure I'd walk out of there owning it.

and 10% because I'm afraid I'd have my hopes and dreams crushed by it being too slow

Turn traction control off (not just a button press, but press and hold for 5 seconds).

That's how they got me. I walked in, asked if I could test drive one to see what the fuss is about, and I became one with the vehicle. It just fit.

Now I'm pushing 250 crank / 200 wheel HP and when that gets too boring, I can get the Edlebrock SC and crank it up a few notches.

I made the fatal error of test driving a car I was interested in today. I know, I know rookie mistake. :p
I swear I thought it would solve my lust for it but nope. And I can't get one for quite some time so....:(

It's one of the most painful things. Man I still feel it. :(

its why i lease, to get a new car every three years. i am still compensating for when my parents let me down so much in my teens.

Bandit1

It's about time I joined in on this part of GAF. I've been a car enthusiast for as long as I can remember.
Seeing what kind of cars some of you drive has been entertaining to read for sure. From trusty bangers to high-end sportscars, such a nice mix.

However, I can't just drop in and say "hi" without sharing what gets me around though:

35mnuad.jpg

243jp0m.jpg

It's a 1993 Saab 900 Classic, Low Pressure Turbo (soon to be upgraded), leather interior, Aero sports trim and Aero deep dish rims.
I love this car dearly. It's such a blast to drive. Sure it's not the fastest car but even compared to some more modern rides it's pretty quick (especially once that turbo kicks in).
I'm planning to upgrade the engine with some bolt on upgrades (mostly for turbo performance) such as an intercooler APC and eventually straight pipes.

Any more Saab owners here? I'd love to see what you've got!

Cool Saab, very unique! Welcome to the thread, you'll fit right in.

Yes. WRX.

Both are amazing cars. You can't go wrong with either. Speed, traction and utility vs. handling, simplicity and lightness.

No Love

Banned
Yes. WRX.

S2000. You'll never think about the BRZ again.It's basically a BRZ but without the shitty motor and transmission, much better styling, better handling, better interior, far superior reliability...

Best gearbox ever. The gearbox alone is a bigger + than anything the BRZ has on offer.

S2000. You'll never think about the BRZ again.It's basically a BRZ but without the shitty motor and transmission, much better styling, better handling, better interior, far superior reliability...

Best gearbox ever. The gearbox alone is a bigger + than anything the BRZ has on offer.

My only complaint about the S2K is that it seemed it was built strictly for the Japanese... the interior is just too damn small imo. I'm kind of a big dude and I look and feel like a fncking sausage in an S2K, whereas I perfectly fit in my Miata lol.

That said, yeah I do agree, that shifter is sublime. I still wouldn't touch an AP1 with a 10ft pole, but sign me up for an AP2.

You're making me want one (more). Damnit.

Lol you won't regret it tbh. The new facelifted Challengers are on a class of their own.

The way I see it, the Mustang is the car for the hardcore drivers, the Camaro is the car for impressing people who don't know anything, and the Challenger is the car you sit in and cruise.

Yep.

I drove my brother's Mazdaspeed3 a few months ago after he got a tune from Stratified.

I'm not sure if I got addicted to the boost, or the power it has... either way, it's partially one of the reasons why I've been hankering for a faster car.

Jackson

EVO magazine has released their Car of the Year in the newest issue. Look for the video to be up on YouTube soon.

987257d1446386626-2015-evo-car-of-the-year-2015ecot.jpg

What do you think? Anything surprise you

Ya it proves that cars, like video games or anything entertaining are subjective.
MotorTrend gave the AMG GT-S top rank and here at EVO it's nearly at the bottom. It all comes down to personal taste really. But it also shows that the GT4 is awesome (was 2nd place at MT)

boltz

Lol you won't regret it tbh. The new facelifted Challengers are on a class of their own.

The way I see it, the Mustang is the car for the hardcore drivers, the Camaro is the car for impressing people who don't know anything, and the Challenger is the car you sit in and cruise.

Personally, I like the Mustang the most for its sleek-aggressive exterior styling, but the Camaro SS really killed the GT in terms of performance in the most recent Motor Trend comparo. I mean a 0-60 time of 4.0 sec for less than $40k is killer.

boxter432

My only complaint about the S2K is that it seemed it was built strictly for the Japanese... the interior is just too damn small imo. I'm kind of a big dude and I look and feel like a fncking sausage in an S2K, whereas I perfectly fit in my Miata lol.

That said, yeah I do agree, that shifter is sublime. I still wouldn't touch an AP1 with a 10ft pole, but sign me up for an AP2.

scared to go to 9k RPM? ;)
*I have a 2003

mkenyon

Banned

Trust me, I've lusted after one since they first came out. The S2000, Challenger, and G35/37 Coupe remain my three favorite cars, aesthetically.

But I need a back seat for my dogs.

scared to go to 9k RPM? ;)
*I have a 2003

Lol the last time I drove a stock AP1 I could just feel the rear end wanting to go at every turn. I liked it, in that it was a challenge to drive, but as a daily driver... I'd definitely take the AP2 instead.

What actually really scared me off from an AP1 was this dude at uni a few years ago. He was coming out of a right turn at a fairly normal rate of speed but the thing just snap oversteer-ed and luckily his tail end got stopped by the traffic pole, otherwise he'd have been spinning towards the traffic and it would've been muuuch worse.

Evo X

Went up to Wisconsin today with a few friends to hit up some country back roads. Had a blast. 72F is unheard of weather here in November. Here's a panoramic I snapped.

pnsogvB.jpg

Lol the last time I drove a stock AP1 I could just feel the rear end wanting to go at every turn. I liked it, in that it was a challenge to drive, but as a daily driver... I'd definitely take the AP2 instead.

What actually really scared me off from an AP1 was this dude at uni a few years ago. He was coming out of a right turn at a fairly normal rate of speed but the thing just snap oversteer-ed and luckily his tail end got stopped by the traffic pole, otherwise he'd have been spinning towards the traffic and it would've been muuuch worse.

Fairly normal rate of speed? C'mon now you know he did something to push the car over. =P

I autocrossed one a few years back and yes, it oversteers at every opportunity, but it was an absolute joy to balance at that limit and very easy to do so.

Yes, every small car. Figure out what you need in a vehicle, i.e., what you'll be using it for, are you going to haul anything, how many people, mileage, comfort requirements. Then look at all the manufacturers to see what they offer that fits your needs in your price range, some of them you'll like, others you won't, go test drive the ones you like.

There aren't that many manufacturers and each only has two or three cars that would fit what you're looking for (if you're looking at civics), so it's a fairly simple task.

If you find a few cars you like, then you should ask for opinions of them from people who are familiar. If you go into a car thread and say "HI CAR GAIS WHAT CAR I SHOULD BUY" you'll get a really weird list of cars based on other people's personal preferences, and they'll mostly be oriented towards performance/enthusiast drivers.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I drove a Challenger SRT 392 once.

And I understood why it feels like a better car than the Mustang or Camaro. It's size and heft somehow felt like an advantage. It was purely vintage and superbly fun.

ShowDog

I really need to take an AP1 out for a spin (hur) because my AP2 is pretty well planted to the road. I have to really try to get it to come around on me, almost like bounce off the limiter and jam the wheel try. It's definitely doable, but the way people talk it's like the fucking AP1 is trying to kill you on every turn. I know they made a lot of suspension adjustments but it's hard to imagine them being THAT different. And yes I'm talking with no traction control.

Fonds

Do consider the Mazda 3 Sedan also. Should start at $18k and is a great car.

The differences across the pond and here in Europe are so depressing.

In the States you can get one with up to 2,5l manual transmission at 185bhp. (from $24.750)
Over here the max is a 2l at 165bhp (from $33.000).

I really love what Mazda have done with their updated and facelifted line of cars. It stands out from the Germans they are rivalling in a positive way.

Trust me, I've lusted after one since they first came out. The S2000, Challenger, and G35/37 Coupe remain my three favorite cars, aesthetically.

But I need a back seat for my dogs.

Unless your dogs fit in a ladies' purse, the BRZ isn't going to work.

So first time new car buyer, is there anything under or around 20k I should be looking at besides the 2016 civic sedan?

The answer to this question depends on what you're looking for in a car: mileage, reliability, styling, speed, etc. If we knew a little more about this the suggestions would be more targeted.

I'd recommend a Civic or Mazda3, or an Impreza if you want something weird.

Bandit1

In honor of the new James Bond movie Spectre I thought I'd post two of the cars featured in the film. It seems like I've always had a soft spot for Aston Martin and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with watching James Bond movies when I was younger. It doesn't hurt that they make some of the most beautiful cars in the world, and that I'm fond of grand tourers.

For Spectre Aston Martin built a special car just for the movie, one that would reflect James Bond's style and point at future designs for the company, the Aston Martin DB10:

Aston-DB10-skid_3458774b.jpg

Aston-DB10-side_3458771b.jpg

Aston-DB10-rear_3458767b.jpg

Aston-DB10-interio_3458762b.jpg

A couple of bonus videos:

Aston Martin Official Video

Jay Leno's Garage featuring the designer of the Aston Martin DB10

But of course James Bond (and his car) needs a formidable nemesis, and this time the bad guy will be behind the wheel of the Jaguar CX75, a car that was reportedly headed for production, but unfortunately those plans were axed.

jaguar-cx75-01.jpg

jaguar-cx75-03.jpg

jaguar-cx75-02.jpg

sorry for the picture overload, but these cars are beautiful!

Fairly normal rate of speed? C'mon now you know he did something to push the car over. =P

Probably, I was at the stoplight going towards his direction so I didn't even really see how he lost it, just the impact towards the traffic pole.

That said, I will say that the corner he spun in is fantastic for hooning. Even my Miata tended to slip on that corner under cold temps and rain.

I really need to take an AP1 out for a spin (hur) because my AP2 is pretty well planted to the road. I have to really try to get it to come around on me, almost like bounce off the limiter and jam the wheel try. It's definitely doable, but the way people talk it's like the fucking AP1 is trying to kill you on every turn. I know they made a lot of suspension adjustments but it's hard to imagine them being THAT different. And yes I'm talking with no traction control.

I'm exaggerating a little bit tbh, but you could definitely tell the rear just wants to go in an AP1. On an AP2, it's a lot more composed.

Or a used/CPO Ford Focus ST or Fiesta ST. I've seen many under $20k...

Now if only the Focus RS comes out already... those current FoST owners need to trade them in for an RS so I can get an ST cheaper haha.

spicy cho

Unless your dogs fit in a ladies' purse, the BRZ isn't going to work.

The answer to this question depends on what you're looking for in a car: mileage, reliability, styling, speed, etc. If we knew a little more about this the suggestions would be more targeted.

I'm after reliability, gas mileage and third I suppose looks and technology. Civic scores high on all fronts to me. I've seen a lot of Mazda's with premature rust problems up here in Canada so I will steer clear of them due to that, which is too bad because they seem to be the most fun to drive in their price range. Ford Focus would be a nice option but they're pretty expensive here.

I'm after reliability, gas mileage and third I suppose looks and technology. Civic scores high on all fronts to me. I've seen a lot of Mazda's with premature rust problems up here in Canada so I will steer clear of them due to that, which is too bad because they seem to be the most fun to drive in their price range. Ford Focus would be a nice option but they're pretty expensive here.

A Civic will probably work just fine then. If you're into hatchbacks they are returning sometime next year.

GrapeApes

I'd probably not go the civic route. The paint on my 8th gen roof is falling off. Problem occurred after warranty is up so I'm SOL on that front. Plus my visor fell off. Honda replaced it due to a recall but it fell off again. The front bumper keeps sticking out too. I've pretty much sworn off Honda for this. The car is running at about 120k miles though.

Top Bottom