• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Fuck.

RBkfR2ll.jpg

That's the ceramic or whatever it is from the plugs.
Sucks! Try a vacuum and seal it to the opening, or maybe get a compressed air nozzle in there and try to blast it out. Hopefully you can get it without tearing off the head.

boltz

ameratsu

Damn, you noobed the fuck out of changing your spark plugs. :/

Helpful post of the year here. Going to be hard to top.

+1 on the suction route. Cracked a plug in my Matrix once and it came right out with a high-pressure vacuum. If there are small shards beyond the chipped piece you can likely get those as well.

On topic-I've never changed plugs on a Subaru motor before. Now I have two of them. As bad as people say?

Anion

2016 Challenger Hellcat.

Pics man pics

debadged my imperial blue 328 and sealed the paint with a ceramic clear coat, opti-coat. hopefully the glass like finish remains for 3-5 yrs. not bad for a 2 1/2 yr old car.

Thats really nice. I was thinking of doing that on my car. Around how much did it run for you? I know it kinda is dependent on like the area and the number of shops.

Helpful post of the year here. Going to be hard to top.

+1 on the suction route. Cracked a plug in my Matrix once and it came right out with a high-pressure vacuum. If there are small shards beyond the chipped piece you can likely get those as well.

On topic-I've never changed plugs on a Subaru motor before. Now I have two of them. As bad as people say?

Depends.

The BRZ's manual says you have to disconnect the engine from mounts and raise it up change the spark plugs. :/

But others have said it can be done with some u-jointed extensions.

At least the Oil Filter is super accessible...

negitoro7

Went in for an oil change today for my GTI, left with a deposit down on a manual Golf R with Tech Package coming in next week. Person who ordered it backed out, and the dealer offered me fair value on my car. Now a few days to decide if I'm gonna do it.

Damn, you noobed the fuck out of changing your spark plugs. :/

Yeah. :\

Supposedly you're supposed to keep the socket/extension super straight and use a socket with rubber inserts to prevent it from happening. Lesson learned I guess.

That said, I do think this is a sign for me to finally let the Miata go. This entire year has shown that there's a lot of niggling issues with my specific car. I think it's pretty much because this was a launch edition NC Miata... 94th out of the factory back in 2005.

Like earlier this year, the starter harness crapped out for no fncking reason. It literally just blew the starter fuse back in February and I just kept changing the fuses until it finally died in July. That cost me somewhere around a grand to get fixed.

I guess I could've paid the Mazda dealership $150 to do this and I wouldn't have to worry about anything, but what's done is done.

Honestly, I predict I'll be driving something else at the end of November, if not maybe even sooner.

Bandit1

GOT MY HELLCAT!!! Pictures soon.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat.

Fuck.

RBkfR2ll.jpg

That's the ceramic or whatever it is from the plugs.

Dang Jongkookie, hopefully some type of vacuum contraption works for you.

debadged my imperial blue 328 and sealed the paint with a ceramic clear coat, opti-coat. hopefully the glass like finish remains for 3-5 yrs. not bad for a 2 1/2 yr old car.

Looks good, very clean. Congrats.

Yeah. :\

Supposedly you're supposed to keep the socket/extension super straight and use a socket with rubber inserts to prevent it from happening. Lesson learned I guess.

That said, I do think this is a sign for me to finally let the Miata go. This entire year has shown that there's a lot of niggling issues with my specific car. I think it's pretty much because this was a launch edition NC Miata... 94th out of the factory back in 2005.

Like earlier this year, the starter harness crapped out for no fncking reason. It literally just blew the starter fuse back in February and I just kept changing the fuses until it finally died in July. That cost me somewhere around a grand to get fixed.

I guess I could've paid the Mazda dealership $150 to do this and I wouldn't have to worry about anything, but what's done is done.

Honestly, I predict I'll be driving something else at the end of November, if not maybe even sooner.

I like to view things like this as an opportunity to learn how to fix a problem. I bet you can get it fixed for less than the $150 you're quoting for a spark plug change and learn something in the process.

EVO magazine has released their Car of the Year in the newest issue. Look for the video to be up on YouTube soon.

What do you think? Anything surprise you?

Here is last video from last year:

I'm bummed the FR-S isn't there but I'm assuming it was for new releases? Not much has changed from last year.

At least it isn't the Peugeot 208 GTI.

Z/28 being up there is a bit interesting, but I agree with their choices outside of personal
preferences.

Anyways, the trip to L.A. / Disneyland was pretty entertaining. The FR-S with the ESC is more than capable of holding its own on the I5 / 405.

I like to view things like this as an opportunity to learn how to fix a problem. I bet you can get it fixed for less than the $150 you're quoting for a spark plug change and learn something in the process.

There's none. Taking off the head would mean that I'd apparently have to remove the timing chain and all that mess and obviously I'd rather not deal with that myself.

I'm already out of $40 bucks for the spark plugs, then another $100 for the inspection camera. If I wanna be asshole I can return it to HF and get at least $80 back, so I'd still be out of $160 once you add the cost of towing... then of course $500 something bucks just to actually repair it.

Anyway, there's no way to fix this shit. I found a hose that can fit inside the hole but since there's no air inside, nothing won't suck. I would've tried using compressed air with the hose in there but the tiny hose the air can has is too big to fit alongside the hose.

Gonna get it towed tomorrow morning to get it fixed... after that, it'll probably have another month in my garage before it's out. We'll see I guess.

There's none. Taking off the head would mean that I'd apparently have to remove the timing chain and all that mess and obviously I'd rather not deal with that myself.

I'm already out of $40 bucks for the spark plugs, then another $100 for the inspection camera. If I wanna be asshole I can return it to HF and get at least $80 back, so I'd still be out of $160 once you add the cost of towing... then of course $500 something bucks just to actually repair it.

Anyway, there's no way to fix this shit. I found a hose that can fit inside the hole but since there's no air inside, nothing won't suck. I would've tried using compressed air with the hose in there but the tiny hose the air can has is too big to fit alongside the hose.

Gonna get it towed tomorrow morning to get it fixed... after that, it'll probably have another month in my garage before it's out. We'll see I guess.

Is there nothing sticky you could use?

----

I need advice on a new car purchase (RS Megane 275), do I go for the following options?
  • Akrapovic titanium exhaust £2500
  • Ohlins 20/30 way adjustable dampers £2000
I can get a discount on the base car, but not on options. It feels silly overpriced and I don't think it's worth it as it currently stands.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That is a crazy amount to spend on an exhaust. Is there nothing else comparable?

Oh, misread. That's an option. Get your own exhaust.

Is there nothing sticky you could use?

I don't even wanna bother tbh.

That picture I posted last night is only a fragment of the ceramic inside, there's a couple of big pieces towards the wall and then little pieces scattered about.

It's possible that you could remove by using a better vacuum but I just don't really wanna bother with it.

I'll just get it done by the shop, I needed an oil change and new brakes anyway.

Bandit1

I don't even wanna bother tbh.

That picture I posted last night is only a fragment of the ceramic inside, there's a couple of big pieces towards the wall and then little pieces scattered about.

It's possible that you could remove by using a better vacuum but I just don't really wanna bother with it.

I'll just get it done by the shop, I needed an oil change and new brakes anyway.

I feel for you man. Things like that happen and it just kills your motivation. Maybe they can sort it out without too much trouble.

Oh and be sure to keep us posted when you go car shopping so we can all project our biases on you.
:p

Wait you pulled the spark plugs without a spark plug socket?

Also in other news my e36 decided to leak out all of its coolant last night. Fun Times!

Wait you pulled the spark plugs without a spark plug socket?

Nah, I have this extended socket specifically made for spark plugs that's magnetized and all that. I'm actually not even sure how this happened, though according to one dude in the M.net forums, it's coz I apparently had the socket angled while removing it.

If you look at this pic:

The 4th spark plug is literally by the firewall, covered by the strut brace(I removed it actually coz it was impossible with it blocking the way) and it takes some loooooooooooong arms to reach it no matter which side you work with.

Holy hell, that's amazing!

You better be using the red key everyday lol.

Sidenote: how come Challengers are holding up their value really well? I've seen a number of V8 Mustangs and Camaro SS' for under $20K yet none of these Challengers show up? I actually want one tbh lol.
I feel like I asked this question before too lol.

Pics man pics

Thats really nice. I was thinking of doing that on my car. Around how much did it run for you? I know it kinda is dependent on like the area and the number of shops.
Bottle of opti-coat cost around $70 and is applied the same way any wax is. Honestly, I don't know how this can be better than some of the polymer sealants I've used in the past that only cost $20 a bottle. Opti-coat is suppose to be thicker and only a single coat is required. I guess only time will tell.

Anion

*amazing car*

Waittttt, your from the Pittsburgh area right? That place looks really familiar to me if so....you aren't in the northern areas are you (without being too specific on purpose haha)?

Bottle of opti-coat cost around $70 and is applied the same way any wax is. Honestly, I don't know how this can be better than some of the polymer sealants I've used in the past that only cost $20 a bottle. Opti-coat is suppose to be thicker and only a single coat is required. I guess only time will tell.

Ah thats good to know. It looks great so far. As long as it lasts even half the time it claims to, I would be happy lol

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Bruh.

I have to be honest... I'm terribly jealous. Just absolutely seething green.

I will own one of those someday. God as my witness, I will own one someday.

That said, helluva an awesome pickup, man. Beautiful, beautiful car. That color combo is siiiick - and a stick, too!

Evo X

Congrats on the Hellcat pickup bro! Looks mean as hell.

Your car has more horsepower than mine and Jackson's Caymans combined. lol

matmanx1

EVO magazine has released their Car of the Year in the newest issue. Look for the video to be up on YouTube soon.

987257d1446386626-2015-evo-car-of-the-year-2015ecot.jpg

What do you think? Anything surprise you?

Here is last video from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AJPt_qm5kY

GT4 won over the McLaren, the 911 GT3RS AND the Ferrari? Yeah, color me surprised! I'm also a little bit surprised that the Z/28 finished underneath the Evora 400. I have nothing but praise for what Lotus has done with the Evora but the amount of R&D that went into the Evora is probably 1/10th what GM put into the Camaro reboot.

I'd love to read their notes on this test and hopefully watch a video on it when they finally release it.

Rengoku

GT4 won over the McLaren, the 911 GT3RS AND the Ferrari? Yeah, color me surprised! I'm also a little bit surprised that the Z/28 finished underneath the Evora 400. I have nothing but praise for what Lotus has done with the Evora but the amount of R&D that went into the Evora is probably 1/10th what GM put into the Camaro reboot.

I'd love to read their notes on this test and hopefully watch a video on it when they finally release it.

I'd say part of the reason why the GT4 won was it's one hell of a car for what it costs. It's about the same price as a base 991 Carrera, and half the price of the GT3RS. Also, I'm sure the manual transmission didn't hurt ;)

Nah, I have this extended socket specifically made for spark plugs that's magnetized and all that. I'm actually not even sure how this happened, though according to one dude in the M.net forums, it's coz I apparently had the socket angled while removing it.

If you look at this pic:

The 4th spark plug is literally by the firewall, covered by the strut brace(I removed it actually coz it was impossible with it blocking the way) and it takes some loooooooooooong arms to reach it no matter which side you work with.

Holy hell, that's amazing!

You better be using the red key everyday lol.

Sidenote: how come Challengers are holding up their value really well? I've seen a number of V8 Mustangs and Camaro SS' for under $20K yet none of these Challengers show up? I actually want one tbh lol.
I feel like I asked this question before too lol.

Damn. Out of the hundreds of spark plugs ive changed I have never ripped off the ceramic tip.

matmanx1

So I finally got GT4 allocation for May 2016 build.

Do I take it or tell em to pound sand?

Really happy with my GTS and prefer the aesthetics with all the dark contrasts along with the nicer infotainment and PDK. Still, it doesn't have the GT steering rack, suspension, or power. Also probably one of the last 6spd manual cars in the world. Hmmm...

The GT4 is special and rare. If you have the means then I would go for it. That being said, you will want something else for a daily driver. Whether or not that is too much of a hassle is something only you can decide.

I've been told by a mechanic who works at BMW to avoid all BMWs that are out of warranty and have over 60 to 70K miles on them due to maintenance will be more than the car.

I would say that is somewhat of an exaggeration. There are certainly models that I would avoid but there are also models that hold up rather well. I've had my 128i since May and other than the initial maintenance I had done on it in June (battery, oil change and two gaskets) it has needed nothing else since and I've put nearly 10k miles on it (just passed 70k miles total.

Generally speaking the non-turbo models are less troublesome (although I believe the new 4 cylinder turbos have been good) and the cars with less electronic gizmos tend to hold up better than the ones with all the bells and whistles. As with any car, if you are interested in a particular model then do some research.

Maintenance and repair on any German luxury car will be more expensive that most American and Japanese models, that much is certain. That doesn't mean that owning an out of warranty BMW (or other luxury car) has to be an exercise in bankruptcy.

Fonds

It's about time I joined in on this part of GAF. I've been a car enthusiast for as long as I can remember.
Seeing what kind of cars some of you drive has been entertaining to read for sure. From trusty bangers to high-end sportscars, such a nice mix.

However, I can't just drop in and say "hi" without sharing what gets me around though:

35mnuad.jpg

243jp0m.jpg

It's a 1993 Saab 900 Classic, Low Pressure Turbo (soon to be upgraded), leather interior, Aero sports trim and Aero deep dish rims.
I love this car dearly. It's such a blast to drive. Sure it's not the fastest car but even compared to some more modern rides it's pretty quick (especially once that turbo kicks in).
I'm planning to upgrade the engine with some bolt on upgrades (mostly for turbo performance) such as an intercooler APC and eventually straight pipes.

Any more Saab owners here? I'd love to see what you've got!

I bet the problem is that the Z/28 just isn't a road car. It's a track car on near-slicks, so it's going to be awesome on the track and lousy everywhere else. I saw a guy driving one the other day and the way it was bouncing over seams in the concrete on the highway was hilarious--it has no right being driven on the road.

Browny

Banned
It's about time I joined in on this part of GAF. I've been a car enthusiast for as long as I can remember.
Seeing what kind of cars some of you drive has been entertaining to read for sure. From trusty bangers to high-end sportscars, such a nice mix.

However, I can't just drop in and say "hi" without sharing what gets me around though:

It's a 1993 Saab 900 Classic, Low Pressure Turbo (soon to be upgraded), leather interior, Aero sports trim and Aero deep dish rims.
I love this car dearly. It's such a blast to drive. Sure it's not the fastest car but even compared to some more modern rides it's pretty quick (especially once that turbo kicks in).
I'm planning to upgrade the engine with some bolt on upgrades (mostly for turbo performance) such as an intercooler APC and eventually straight pipes.

Any more Saab owners here? I'd love to see what you've got!

Great car - I remember many years ago, someone reviewed it and likened it to something that Darth Vader would have driven (had he not lived several millenia in the future).

Love this shot. I now want to go and watch Ronin.

I bet the problem is that the Z/28 just isn't a road car. It's a track car on near-slicks, so it's going to be awesome on the track and lousy everywhere else. I saw a guy driving one the other day and the way it was bouncing over seams in the concrete on the highway was hilarious--it has no right being driven on the road.

You can say that for most of the cars on the list though. Both gt Porsches run cup 2s I believe. Not sure what the gtb and mclaren run but I'd rank them higher than the porsches in terms of "drivers car".

I dunno. It's hard to argue with the rankings unless you have several weeks with each car and make your own opinion.

Top Bottom