• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Are people just hateful fucks?

My old Challenger R/T no one ever touched it. My Hellcat... Had someone sit on the hood scratching the hell out of it and it was egged yesterday. Even though I hit it with wax Wednesday I still see spots that ate the clear coat and the spots where the eggs initially hit have marks deep enough to remove the black paint.

Death sentence.

Vincent Vega style.

boltz

So bye bye to new sports cars then? I fear for some regulars in this thread. I don't know, I feel like it's a big elephant in the room that car enthusiasts tend to ignore on various forums.

At this point there's not much to do but speculate on automated cars, so I don't see much reason to talk about them.

But since you mention it, once it becomes affordable and reliable like ABS and stability control, I could see the government making it a mandatory feature since it has a huge potential to reduce accidents and traffic.

But making it mandatory to use is a whole 'nother ballgame just from the perspective that it would require every vehicle to have the technology.

I also don't see it making sports cars obsolete either. To make it politically viable, I could see mandatory use of automated driving on a time and location basis. For example, it could be required to be used during rush hour on all freeways or some variation of that. So folks could still enjoy driving on their own.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Muddled my way around removing the front strut today only to realize the tweakers at AutoZone gave me the wrong tool instead of a strut compressor. Had to reassemble and I'll work on it next weekend. At least now I have some practice under my belt.

Forgot to mention, looked like a little oil leaking from the shock. Is that a bad sign? What to do?

Evo X

Was supposed to drive the Chiron last Saturday, but that didn't work out. In the time I had, a prospective buyer reserved it for himself. Of course I understand they get priority over me since I can't even afford the deposit required, much less the car itself. lol.

So instead we had a pretty large GT4 meetup and drive. A few more were supposed to come, but didn't make it. Still a good turn out and time.

Sponsored by Skittles. lol

1103506d1477919631-chicago-area-spyder-and-gt4-get-together-picture-thread-img_0451.jpg

1103505d1477919631-chicago-area-spyder-and-gt4-get-together-picture-thread-img_0453.jpg

Pinewood

At this point there's not much to do but speculate on automated cars, so I don't see much reason to talk about them.

But since you mention it, once it becomes affordable and reliable like ABS and stability control, I could see the government making it a mandatory feature since it has a huge potential to reduce accidents and traffic.

But making it mandatory to use is a whole 'nother ballgame just from the perspective that it would require every vehicle to have the technology.

I also don't see it making sports cars obsolete either. To make it politically viable, I could see mandatory use of automated driving on a time and location basis. For example, it could be required to be used during rush hour on all freeways or some variation of that. So folks could still enjoy driving on their own.
How do automated driving technologies cope with heavy snow and slippery snow conditions? All Ive seen is people saying how well a Tesla drives itself, but thyats usually shown with no precipitation etc.

E: Can anyone here tell me about 1999 Impreza WRXs? A 160 kW GC8G? (the fuck with the naming, Subaru) randomly popped up on my Facebook feed and Im mildly curious

matmanx1

Was supposed to drive the Chiron last Saturday, but that didn't work out. In the time I had, a prospective buyer reserved it for himself. Of course I understand they get priority over me since I can't even afford the deposit required, much less the car itself. lol.

So instead we had a pretty large GT4 meetup and drive. A few more were supposed to come, but didn't make it. Still a good turn out and time.

Sponsored by Skittles. lol

1103506d1477919631-chicago-area-spyder-and-gt4-get-together-picture-thread-img_0451.jpg

1103505d1477919631-chicago-area-spyder-and-gt4-get-together-picture-thread-img_0453.jpg

All I can tell you is, I'd like to taste that rainbow.
GIGGITY!

hwalker84

Finished installing the catback and although the exhaust tip was as ginormous as I thought it would be, it's not too bad and should look better when it gets a little dirtier and hides all of the shiny bits. But I'm very happy with the sound as it is not obnoxious and even burbles and pops a little bit. Now I think I fully understand why people make such a big deal of cars' exhaust notes.

Nice, post some pics when you get that work done!

It your top criteria are reliability and fuel economy, I don't see how a hybrid Auris can do you wrong. I actually think the iM is a cool little car - too bad all it gets is Toyota's anemic 1.8L engine.

That's pretty f'd up - something like that would have me considering getting a dashcam with the ability to record when the car is parked.

Congrats! Are you planning to do any upgrades?

Speaking of dashcams... Does anyone have any experience with good ones?

Smokey

Are people just hateful fucks?

My old Challenger R/T no one ever touched it. My Hellcat... Had someone sit on the hood scratching the hell out of it and it was egged yesterday. Even though I hit it with wax Wednesday I still see spots that ate the clear coat and the spots where the eggs initially hit have marks deep enough to remove the black paint.

Was this at random places, or in front of your house?

If it's the latter, this is how people get shot.

Sucks about your Hellcat.

One of the reasons that keep me driving my E36.
No one is going to give a shit about a 20 year old BMW.

Yeah, my volvo is practically invisible.
Thats one thing about owning a nice car. I definitely wouldn't drive it or park it anywhere. I'd be too worried about anything happening to it. Though if you only own one car you don't really have a choice.

hwalker84

Was this at random places, or in front of your house?

If it's the latter, this is how people get shot.

In front of my house. I guess they weren't around earlier in the day when I was loading my Jeep with a big camo military bag with two rifles, a Ammo case and a pistol bag heading to the range.

Also this was targeted. All the nicer vehicles in the neighborhood were hit Saturday/Sunday. I grew up in this neighborhood.there's literally no crime. When I was a kid we had a code of ethics. Whenever we saw a sick car we nodded and had respect.

In front of my house. I guess they weren't around earlier in the day when I was loading my Jeep with a big camo military bag with two rifles, a Ammo case and a pistol bag heading to the range.

Also this was targeted. All the nicer vehicles in the neighborhood were hit Saturday/Sunday. I grew up in this neighborhood.there's literally no crime. When I was a kid we had a code of ethics. Whenever we saw a sick car we nodded and had respect.

so you were gonna shoot somebody for scratching your car?

TTTR

How much is the deposit anyway? 400k?

Temps below freezing point here in Germany. Glad i got my (new) winter tires on. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4.
Never had Michelin winter tires before but heard good things.

And poor Hellcat :(

Evo X

How much is the deposit anyway? 400k?

$1.2 Million deposit.

Initial $250k to secure an allocation, then an additional $950k upon configuration. The cars are bespoke so they need to make sure you mean business when you order one. Net worth of the typical Bugatti client is well north of $100 Million so even getting a short drive in one is probably a once in a lifetime thing for me.

TTTR

$1.2 Million deposit.

Initial $250k to secure an allocation, then an additional $950k upon configuration. The cars are bespoke so they need to make sure you mean business when you order one. Net worth of the typical Bugatti client is well north of $100 Million so even getting a short drive in one is probably a once in a lifetime thing for me.
You should've driven with all GT4s to the Bugatti dealer, maybe he would've accepted them as a deposit. That way the test drive could've been a possibility. Lol

op_ivy

Forgot to mention, looked like a little oil leaking from the shock. Is that a bad sign? What to do?

Anyone?

I haven't noticed any change in ride quality or heard any new noises when going over bumps but this is the same wheel that hit a piece of firewood in the road at 50 a year or so ago.

Should I worry about this or wait till it's noticeably a problem? Get it replaced asap? Can they be rebuilt?

Why can't I find this for sale anywhere? I see rear shock absorbers for the evo x but no fronts. Is it a different name?

DrMungo

Car Gaf opinion:
I was checking out a car. I asked about the title status. He said it was clean. Then in a later email said that he "took out a small loan as a favor for a friend but can get the title in 2 days". Sketchy? I'm thinking of bailing. Too bad. He seemed like a nice guy on the test ride and we were chatting about cars.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone?

I haven't noticed any change in ride quality or heard any new noises when going over bumps but this is the same wheel that hit a piece of firewood in the road at 50 a year or so ago.

Should I worry about this or wait till it's noticeably a problem? Get it replaced asap? Can they be rebuilt?

Why can't I find this for sale anywhere? I see rear shock absorbers for the evo x but no fronts. Is it a different name?
Strut, Damper, Shock

Futaba

Car Gaf opinion:
I was checking out a car. I asked about the title status. He said it was clean. Then in a later email said that he "took out a small loan as a favor for a friend but can get the title in 2 days". Sketchy? I'm thinking of bailing. Too bad. He seemed like a nice guy on the test ride and we were chatting about cars.

Definitely seems sketch, but wait out the 2 days, if he shows you another excuse instead of a title, bail.

Anyone?

Any leakage at all from a shock is bad news, but first you should absolutely rule out the possibility of it being on there as a result of spray from driving over some oil on the road, do you best to clean off the shock so it's dry and clean then drive the car on a rough-ish road on a dry day, then check again a few hours later, if there is any signs of oil again then you definitely have a leak.

As for a replacement, replacing just one would be cheaper, but you can get a full set on ebay for sub $400,
Cheaper but a bit rusty: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-...sion-Evolution-10-Oem-2008-2014-/192017228466
More expensive but cleaner: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-08-MIT...TRUTS-SPRINGS-SET-EVOX-CZ4A-337-/281332210434

Your best bet would be to join an evo specific forum and ask about buying your particular required strut, as there will be plenty of people parting out crashed vehicles or selling their OEM shocks after installing coilovers/aftermarket struts, may even find yourself with a good condition replacement strut for under $60 shipped.

op_ivy

Definitely seems sketch, but wait out the 2 days, if he shows you another excuse instead of a title, bail.

Any leakage at all from a shock is bad news, but first you should absolutely rule out the possibility of it being on there as a result of spray from driving over some oil on the road, do you best to clean off the shock so it's dry and clean then drive the car on a rough-ish road on a dry day, then check again a few hours later, if there is any signs of oil again then you definitely have a leak.

As for a replacement, replacing just one would be cheaper, but you can get a full set on ebay for sub $400,
Cheaper but a bit rusty: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-...sion-Evolution-10-Oem-2008-2014-/192017228466
More expensive but cleaner: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-08-MIT...TRUTS-SPRINGS-SET-EVOX-CZ4A-337-/281332210434

Your best bet would be to join an evo specific forum and ask about buying your particular required strut, as there will be plenty of people parting out crashed vehicles or selling their OEM shocks after installing coilovers/aftermarket struts, may even find yourself with a good condition replacement strut for under $60 shipped.

Thanks. I see they are about 340 new for the front. Yesh.

Car Gaf opinion:
If it sounds sketchy, I'd hold off and look elsewhere. I wouldn't want to have any issues with large purchases like a car.

AlphaSnake

So I installed my new paddle shifter "extensions". I gotta say, I really love them. They're nice and cool to the touch. Great weight. Very nice aluminum with soft edges. No oddities. They slap right into place, and you use the allen key to tighten them down to the original paddle. Huge improvement. Sorry for the shitty quality pic. Low light and I moved my phone.

Pinewood

Anyone here own a V8 Audi S5, how are those? There is one on sale that constantly pops up on my Facebook feed, 13,500€ for a red 2007 model. I expect the fuel economy to be pretty shit but its probably well equipped and has quattro (apparently we have winter in November here now, not complaining).

I have also looked at used GT86-s, but I feel that if Im going to spend any more than 5 grand on a car it should offer at least some practicality, as I will be stuck with a lease for a nr of years.

Futaba

I have also looked at used GT86-s, but I feel that if Im going to spend any more than 5 grand on a car it should offer at least some practicality, as I will be stuck with a lease for a nr of years.
If by practicality you mean rear seats, yes unless the people sitting in the back are children or extremely slim, the back seats are a bit pointless unless the driver/passenger have short legs or want to drive bow-legged.

If you mean practicality in terms of carrying stuff, with the rear seats folded down I get four complete bikes in the back, or one semi-dismantled CBR-400.

But really, the back seats are just there for baby seats/show

Pinewood

If by practicality you mean rear seats, yes unless the people sitting in the back are children or extremely slim, the back seats are a bit pointless unless the driver/passenger have short legs or want to drive bow-legged.

If you mean practicality in terms of carrying stuff, with the rear seats folded down I get four complete bikes in the back, or one semi-dismantled CBR-400.

Didntknow about the folding seats. Damn.

Anyway, curious to hear autoGAF's take on automated driving technologies? Do you guys believe that self-driving cars will become mandatory within the next 10-20 years?

I think it's cool, especially if it'll help stop asshole drivers on the road while still being able to drive a normal car.

The one thing I hate about commuting is the unpredictability of other drivers so self driving cars will add that(since you know the computers will actually control signal lights and stuff) and make it an easier commute for everyone, self driving car or not.

#justtexanthings

Hahaha you say this with jest but it's true.

I'm not even shocked anymore if somebody gets shot for protecting their property or whatever.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

My fat ass(200lbs, 5'5") was actually able to sit up there lol. It wasn't comfortable, but it worked well enough for a crunch.

Futaba

My fat ass(200lbs, 5'5") was actually able to sit up there lol. It wasn't comfortable, but it worked well enough for a crunch.

i assume the drivers and passengers seat were fairy far forward then? I have fairy long legs so my seat is usually almost fully backwards, which barely leaves enough room to slide an arm down between the edge of the rear seats and the back of the front seats!

i assume the drivers and passengers seat were fairy far forward then? I have fairy long legs so my seat is usually almost fully backwards, which barely leaves enough room to slide an arm down between the edge of the rear seats and the back of the front seats!

Haha yep.

The front passenger was a tiny Asian girl so she could scoot the seat all the way up while I sat behind her. it also helps that I'm somewhat proportional(minus the beer belly lol), so my legs and upper body are about the same length and that makes it easy to fit in almost anything where my gut can also fit haha.

When I redo the garage I am getting one... he said it was about $3k. Worth it.

Totally worth it. Only problem is that I work so much on the road that I don't have a legitimate permanent address. Just can't see myself settling down permanently in a city quite yet, next few years.

But I want one. And I shall have one.

op_ivy

my garage came with a grease pit, the next best thing to a lift. plus, it doubles as a dungeon for misbehaving kids.

AlphaSnake

Anyone here own a V8 Audi S5, how are those? There is one on sale that constantly pops up on my Facebook feed, 13,500€ for a red 2007 model. I expect the fuel economy to be pretty shit but its probably well equipped and has quattro (apparently we have winter in November here now, not complaining).

Stay far, far away from used Audis, especially a first model year car. Owners never service the ZF6 transmissions in them, and a result, they begin to slip like and jerk crazy after 70K miles. I had this 4.2L motor in my 2006 Audi A6 4.2, which was a great car admittedly (and practically the sedan equal of the S5), but all sorts of sensors and shit started going wrong once it crested the 50K mark. The MMI went out ($2400), all of the tire pressure monitors went out ($800), the oil pressure sensor went out ($600), coil pack shit the bed on a random pass (covered under recall I believe) and then the transmission started acting up real, real bad (upon accel in 1st gear, it would jerk 3 times and when you would floor it to make a pass, the power was greatly diminished). That's when I traded the 2006 A6 in for a brand new 2012 A6 3.0 Supercharged.

Once again, made the mistake of owning a first year model new generation Audi product. This A6 was littered with issues too (all warrantied of course). At which point I didn't want the car in Florida with me, so I left it in NYC, since my dad still liked the car and continued to make payments on his own. I bought my 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 and for all 42K miles it served me without any mechanical or major failures.

Yes, all of my stories include a Jaguar somehow.

Pinewood

Stay far, far away from used Audis, especially a first model year car. Owners never service the ZF6 transmissions in them, and a result, they begin to slip like and jerk crazy after 70K miles. I had this 4.2L motor in my 2006 Audi A6 4.2, which was a great car admittedly (and practically the sedan equal of the S5), but all sorts of sensors and shit started going wrong once it crested the 50K mark. The MMI went out ($2400), all of the tire pressure monitors went out ($800), the oil pressure sensor went out ($600), coil pack shit the bed on a random pass (covered under recall I believe) and then the transmission started acting up real, real bad (upon accel in 1st gear, it would jerk 3 times and when you would floor it to make a pass, the power was greatly diminished). That's when I traded the 2006 A6 in for a brand new 2012 A6 3.0 Supercharged.

Once again, made the mistake of owning a first year model new generation Audi product. This A6 was littered with issues too (all warrantied of course). At which point I didn't want the car in Florida with me, so I left it in NYC, since my dad still liked the car and continued to make payments on his own. I bought my 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 and for all 42K miles it served me without any mechanical or major failures.

Yes, all of my stories include a Jaguar somehow.

I assume you are referring to the automatic gearbox? There is a 2008 one also at a similar price for sale, both manuals. The S5 is more of a "what if" thing anyways Im still somewhat hesitant on getting a lease, but if I do, might as well get something nice.

AlphaSnake

I assume you are referring to the automatic gearbox? There is a 2008 one also at a similar price for sale, both manuals. The S5 is more of a "what if" thing anyways Im still somewhat hesitant on getting a lease, but if I do, might as well get something nice.

Yeah, auto. I'd just personally stay away from a used Audi.

Top Bottom