• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Futaba

Well, that's it, all my cars are now in long term dry storage, a 12kg box of parts sat in a planes cargo bay somewhere on their way to LA, and back to using public transport for the next few days until I come back next year.

At least my old ST185 will be waiting for me at my destination.

matmanx1

That's actually kinda what I'm looking for.

Like I still enjoy the racecar sensation my Miata gives me, but 200 miles a week in a racecar can get a little exhausting. I just wanna jam to my tunes and enjoy a cushy ride while commuting instead of having to adjust my body physically to account for a huge bump on the road or my ears having to fight whether to listen to the exhaust or music lolol.

Unfortunately, finances may not work out on this car. A few of the CU's I've talked to require me to be a account holder before they can give me a loan, the other companies that I could actually get a decent rate don't consider Carmax as a franchised dealer so they can't or don't want to finance a car with them.

Also Carmax's financing is fncking garbage. Sure my credit score isn't exactly that great(between 680-700) but I'm in my mid 20's, graduated out of college 2 years ago and this is my first real full time job... the best they can do is 8% APR for me. Like what the fnck? The CU's are more than willing to offer me under 4% for even a $30K loan but that franchised dealership thing is the hold up...

I'm not that desperate for the car so may whoever buys it enjoys it, but it's a shame that I'm gonna have to let it go coz Carmax is trash.

What was that credit union that Doug Demuro uses to finance all of his cars? I believe they are super easy to work with and have great rates for just about anyone. PenFed (PenFed.org) I think it was? You should look in to it.

***Breaking News***

It is DONE.

I made this post in the OG Auto thread way back on 06/10/2011

And now....it's done. Just went ahead and took care of the payoff amount.

I've got around 107,000 miles on it. Driven it 83,000ish miles in 5 years. I love the car. Still fun to drive. I was really new to cars back then and made a bunch of mistakes. Didn't put any money down. I didn't pay attention to the model year in relation to the LCI and model upgrades. I think the LCI of the e90 series actually hit in 2012, one year later. My CPO warranty actually ended 2 years ago. Been paying this enormous note on an out of warranty BMW. Live life on the edge brehs. Huge mistakes. I am glad that I went through the "fire" at 24 vs 44. I applied these lessons when I bought my wife's car 3 years ago. I'll never look at a car note the same again. In fact my next car I don't plan to go any longer than 36 months, if that.

I need to do some up keep on the car. Brake replacement, fluids, front tires, etc. I also want to get into modding. Told myself once it was paid off I'd start really looking into it. Plan to keep the car until maintenance or repairs make it unrealistic to keep. Eventually plan on it just being my 3rd car. It was the first huge purchase I made out of college so it has some sentimental value to me. Weird feeling and it probably won't hit me until next month when I actually have the payment amount sitting in my account!

Still...feels good man

Huge congrats, man. Feels good, doesn't it? I'm glad the 335i is still going strong for you. Also good that you learned some important financial lessons. It took me well into the 30's to get to the same place and that's one of the main reasons I saved up and paid cash for the GX470.

Enjoying a great car is a wonderful thing but being smart with your finances in the process just makes it all that much sweeter.

Denali

I just had one for a weekend, drove from Billings, MT to Ekalaka, MT and back.

The 4cyl is anemic and the car starts to vibrate at 80mph through 90mph.

It kicked ass on mud roads though. It got through some spots that I'd feel iffy in my 2500. Legit great off road performance.

Seats were super super comfortable, and my 2500 made me familiar with UConnect, and it was great as always. I would absolutely require the V6 if I was looking at it seriously. Buy used if you need to.

Ended up pulling the trigger on a Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 75th Anniversary Edition this past weekend. A local dealership had a 2016 model with less than 10k miles on it for a great price, and it had a lot of the upgrades (moonroof, 8.4" UConnect, upgraded sound system, V6 engine). Absolutely loving it!! I'll post some pictures when I get around to actually taking some. Thing looks sharp.

mkenyon

Banned
Ended up pulling the trigger on a Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 75th Anniversary Edition this past weekend. A local dealership had a 2016 model with less than 10k miles on it for a great price, and it had a lot of the upgrades (moonroof, 8.4" UConnect, upgraded sound system, V6 engine). Absolutely loving it!! I'll post some pictures when I get around to actually taking some. Thing looks sharp.
Nice! That Pentastar is a great engine.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Picked up the car today.

Swirls still present. Their detailers suck. Dealership agreed to pay for a new detail.

Smokey

What was that credit union that Doug Demuro uses to finance all of his cars? I believe they are super easy to work with and have great rates for just about anyone. PenFed (PenFed.org) I think it was? You should look in to it.

Huge congrats, man. Feels good, doesn't it? I'm glad the 335i is still going strong for you. Also good that you learned some important financial lessons. It took me well into the 30's to get to the same place and that's one of the main reasons I saved up and paid cash for the GX470.

Enjoying a great car is a wonderful thing but being smart with your finances in the process just makes it all that much sweeter.

Nice! Grats on that.

I think I only have like..... 36k to go on my 2500 :/

At least the M5 is paid for.

Appreciated! Didn't think I'd keep it tbh. I've got 3 years left on the Honda. Going to use some of the extra money and see if I can get that down to 2.

jcutner

I have a year left in my lease, and it's a real cheap one. A Kia Rio hatch, and this is one weak car. It's super cheap though, so that's the upside. It's got all the features you'd want, heated leather seats, heated wheel, backup camera etc but it has a tiny underpowered 1.6l engine that won't get you out of harms way.

I was trying to think what I should aim for, for my next car, hoping to stay in the $20-25k range. I was looking at VW Golfs and Jettas, but also considering a used FR-S as it's within the price range, and I've wanted one.

Out of those 3 which would you lean towards? Unless there's another car you'd throw in the mix.

Mistel

Banned
That's cool, I really like the 70 Super Bees, the front end has a really unique look. Think I might have only seen one or two at shows over the years.
I've been keeping a eye on a couple one of them is a hardtop which is quite desirable. I might try and go for a 71/72 GTO if one of those pops up in a decent state.

mkenyon

Banned
I live in Seattle. That's not a thing here. Car is paid for tho.
God damn Californians. Amirite?

So many of my clients have moved their practices to Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, Des Moines, Lake Forrest Park, literally anywhere but Seattle.

Too little land, too many people.

Pinewood

Where do you keep your legs when drive? Like, can you move them freely under the steering wheel?

I think Ive always had my long ass legs besides the wheel so I cant really move them under it but I just saw a video about how and what cars fit tall people and this was one thing they checked and Im wondering if Ive been in the wrong all my life

Futaba

I have a year left in my lease, and it's a real cheap one. A Kia Rio hatch, and this is one weak car. It's super cheap though, so that's the upside. It's got all the features you'd want, heated leather seats, heated wheel, backup camera etc but it has a tiny underpowered 1.6l engine that won't get you out of harms way.

I was trying to think what I should aim for, for my next car, hoping to stay in the $20-25k range. I was looking at VW Golfs and Jettas, but also considering a used FR-S as it's within the price range, and I've wanted one.

Out of those 3 which would you lean towards? Unless there's another car you'd throw in the mix.

as a 86/frs owner, a vw golf, highest spec your budget permits.

86 is a money pit if you like changing stuff.

matmanx1

Picked up the car today.

Swirls still present. Their detailers suck. Dealership agreed to pay for a new detail.

Sounds like they need to use a different detailer. Will they let you pick your own?

A year down the road you could probably pick up a 2017 FR-S within your budget and if you want a real, true sportscar then that is the one I would pick. The 2017's have some nice quality of life improvements over the earlier models that make them feel quicker and a little more premium.

Two paid cars, paid mortgage. That's the life.

That's my goal. 2 cars down, 1 to go. Mortgage has less than 2 years left on it and the MX-5 should be paid off pretty quickly after that (we're making double mortgage payments right now and have been for a while).

Where do you keep your legs when drive? Like, can you move them freely under the steering wheel?

I think Ive always had my long ass legs besides the wheel so I cant really move them under it but I just saw a video about how and what cars fit tall people and this was one thing they checked and Im wondering if Ive been in the wrong all my life

Definitely under the wheel. You might be driving cars that are too small for you or sitting too close to the wheel. In my GX it's easy to do with it having such an upright and elevated driving position. In my MX-5 it requires a little more finesse but is still doable with my seat far enough back.

Yeah, if the car is still there next week I'm definitely gonna look into other avenues... as well as different cars lol. I've been looking into quirky cars like a Nismo Juke among other things and there's some but I can't really commit coz Black Friday is coming up haha.

Pinewood

Definitely under the wheel. You might be driving cars that are too small for you or sitting too close to the wheel. In my GX it's easy to do with it having such an upright and elevated driving position. In my MX-5 it requires a little more finesse but is still doable with my seat far enough back.
Holy... but if i pull the seat that back my arms are completely straight... id be one of those beemer guys that look at the road through the steering wheel...

AlphaSnake

Sounds like they need to use a different detailer. Will they let you pick your own?

Yes, of course. That was the agreement. If I wasn't happy with it, they will pay for my guys to do it again. The manager took a look at it with me and agreed within a few seconds. It just wasn't great.

KrisB

I went down and did some photography at the Porsche Club Of SA Show & Shine 2016.
Pretty good turnout considering the wet weather.
dqyWZrx.jpg

ZR4ZmSG.jpg

FN8wAzw.jpg

gyy7SPP.jpg

jtYy7qk.jpg

e2tI6Ga.jpg

Full album - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...73741832.1717767015174852&type=1&l=f4a8b45c2b

Hello,

I'm finally going to have free time next week for the first time in months! I've been wanting to clean up my cars.

I have a clay bar kit from Meguiars. I've never done that before, but it seems simple enough. If anyone has any tips, please do share.

Main question I have is related to wax/polish and some way to protect headlights from oxidation.
1. There's a ton of options out there for car waxes and polish. Are there any stand out ones? I've heard good things about Nu Finish, and Meguiars NXT 2.0 waxes. Is there wax that GAF like to use?

2. How do I go about protecting the headlights of a car. Two of my cars' headlights are heavily oxidized with a yellowish haze. I have that one kit that sands the outer lens, and restores the clarity. Is there a way to protect the headlights from oxidizing again? There's the Meguiars head light protectant. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Finished installing springs on my evo. Went with racecomp. Removal and install was a bit of a bitch, mainly because I didn't really know what to expect. Took about 4 hours but I'm sure I could do it in about half the time if I had to do it again - please don't make me do it again! Car looks great, it's about an inch lower, but feels even better. Much less body roll and no diving or lifting nose under accel/deccel. Very pleased.

Flo_Evans

Appreciating the cooler denser air and no ac robbing power :p

jr1pkFs.jpg

edit: also grats Smokey! Nothing better that a clear title in hand :) Should be getting my CX-7 title soon but I already want to upgrade it to a 4runner...

TylerD

***Breaking News***

It is DONE.

Weird feeling and it probably won't hit me until next month when I actually have the payment amount sitting in my account!

Still...feels good man

Awesome news! I'm not going to be that far behind you. Have 3K of 17K over 5 years @ 3.25% left on my e46. I was paying 800-1100 a month on my student loans to finally kill them. So much left over now, especially because my living expenses dropped another 700-800 a month when I moved in with my girlfriend. The bolded is an amazing feeling.

I'll do the same with my e46. Drive it until it becomes unreasonably expensive to keep on the road. Just at 95,500 miles so there should be lots of life left in her.

AlphaSnake

Yesterday, a 10 second event made me realize where I am in life. It was nothing too special, but it left a lasting impact on me...entertain me, if you will:

I was running out of the house to grab some pizza. I got in the car, drove out, saw my neighbor, chatted with him for about 20 seconds from the car (coincidentally, he was on his porch eating pizza too) and then I got going. As I drove about 50 feet down the road, I heard some kids yelling from the clubhouse and pool deck. I look to my left and they're yelling at me. They couldn't have been older than 10 or 11. They were screaming "REV IT! REV IT! REV IT!"

And so I did. The exhaust crackled and popped and man...it made their day. The way they were all yelling was practically celebratory. "YEAAAA!" and "THAT WAS AWESOME!", and "THANKS!" I gave it partial beans exiting the complex, just enough to hear some more roaring. And then it hit me.

20 years ago, those kids would've been myself, my cousins, and my brother. Running up to a fence just to yell at a passing sports car to rev it. Hell, I specifically remember leaving junior high school and seeing a Viper at a light and saying the same things. A Corvette. An even a Camaro. And my reaction was identical to theirs. But now I'm the guy with a baby boy and finding myself in the reverse situation 20 years later. It was also encouraging that a group of young kids showed such interest in a sports car and its sound. Something I've often worried about. And I hope my baby boy grows up with similar interests.

I guess, this is what the circle of life is, brehs.

Now, I need a tissue, somebody's dicing onions.

I don't know if any of you have changed the diff fluid in an E36 before.
BUT FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that top fill bolt. The way it's positioned makes it damn near impossible to get any 14mm allen onto it.

Flo_Evans

/avaratquote

BRZ/FRS all the way. ;)

I was a huge VW fan and while their cars are really excellent, if you like driving you will deal with the FRS limitations.

I don't know if any of you have changed the diff fluid in an E36 before.
BUT FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that top fill bolt. The way it's positioned makes it damn near impossible to get any 14mm allen onto it.

thats why the bmw mechanics make the big bucks https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-...YNQSKs-1dsGvHV6_3cpuWt0MxNd-hjrLZcxoCAg7w_wcB

jcutner

/avaratquote

BRZ/FRS all the way. ;)

I was a huge VW fan and while their cars are really excellent, if you like driving you will deal with the FRS limitations.

What sort of limitations? I like the idea of a new jetta/golf for Apple Carplay integration, but I could always install a CarPlay compatible stereo in the FR-S and be happy.

Flo_Evans

What sort of limitations? I like the idea of a new jetta/golf for Apple Carplay integration, but I could always install a CarPlay compatible stereo in the FR-S and be happy.

Mostly passengers/cargo.

How are the roads around you? City driving on bad roads kind of sucks. How much annual snowfall do you get?

BRZ stock stereo does USB/bluetooth audio, its got some sort of app support but its not great.

Really just go test drive one back to back with a jetta. The difference is pretty clear. You will either want it or you don't.

jcutner

Mostly passengers/cargo.

How are the roads around you? City driving on bad roads kind of sucks.

BRZ stock stereo does USB/bluetooth audio, its got some sort of app support but its not great.

Really just go test drive one back to back with a jetta. The difference is pretty clear. You will either want it or you don't.

Oh right. Well more than likely, it'd just be my grocery getter. I use public transportation during the week to get to work, and my car just stays parked until the weekend. As long as I can fit a bunch of grocery bags in there, I'm happy. Majority of time, it's just my girlfriend and I driving around, so basically just a two seater is fine.

I used to have a lowered Mazda3 with blown shocks, so I'm used to a "stiff" suspension on subpar roads. Obviously as I get older, the more comfortable the ride the better though.
Snowfall, I'm in Toronto - so we get a lot. I'd get winter tires for sure, and I'd get the automatic (boo, hiss) - I see it has a Snow mode? Is that just so the car starts in 2nd gear for less slip?

Yesterday, a 10 second event made me realize where I am in life. It was nothing too special, but it left a lasting impact on me...entertain me, if you will:

I was running out of the house to grab some pizza. I got in the car, drove out, saw my neighbor, chatted with him for about 20 seconds from the car (coincidentally, he was on his porch eating pizza too) and then I got going. As I drove about 50 feet down the road, I heard some kids yelling from the clubhouse and pool deck. I look to my left and they're yelling at me. They couldn't have been older than 10 or 11. They were screaming "REV IT! REV IT! REV IT!"

And so I did. The exhaust crackled and popped and man...it made their day. The way they were all yelling was practically celebratory. "YEAAAA!" and "THAT WAS AWESOME!", and "THANKS!" I gave it partial beans exiting the complex, just enough to hear some more roaring. And then it hit me.

20 years ago, those kids would've been myself, my cousins, and my brother. Running up to a fence just to yell at a passing sports car to rev it. Hell, I specifically remember leaving junior high school and seeing a Viper at a light and saying the same things. A Corvette. An even a Camaro. And my reaction was identical to theirs. But now I'm the guy with a baby boy and finding myself in the reverse situation 20 years later. It was also encouraging that a group of young kids showed such interest in a sports car and its sound. Something I've often worried about. And I hope my baby boy grows up with similar interests.

Sound clip or video?

Flo_Evans

New WRX (not sti) model is the same price as Brz. Used Brz is going to depreciate faster (esp in Canada!) but it shouldn't be that much more.

I was having a hard time deciding back when shopping new. The WRX is unquestionably faster, and way more practical (x2 if you get an older hatchback) but man it felt like every other 4 door mid range car inside. Except when the boost hits and the AWD digs in! :)

It came down to raw speed vs handling and driving feel. Brz/frs is like a street legal go-kart. If you like that idea it's perfect but it's not for everyone.

Something to consider if this is going to be your only shared car is how your significant other feels about performance driving. My wife is always "carsick" riding in it. Turns out some people don't appreciate oversteer as much as others. And trust me you will be doing allot of oversteering on icy Canadian roads.

Pinewood

Went for a test drive in a 06 Alfa GT. I think Im pretty sold, I will try and get a mechanic to look at it and read the error codes if there is something massivély wrong though.
The selespeed box and the suspension felt solid during my drive, went on a fairly rough road as well to hear any weird sounds. There was some interior rattling, but might have just been due to ice. The 2.0 JTS engine that gets a lot of flack compared to the older TS seemed pretty decent, it certainly sounds better than most of the cars I drive regulary. Fuel economy is also acceptable.
What I did notice was that the driver side speakers didnt work, hopefully its just a broken wire and an easy fix, hopefully gives me some price leverage as well.
The airbag light wont come on, I read that it might be just bad connectors, but I will know better once tis looked at by an expert I guess. Thats also why the car goes for less than the market avg (and if it turns out to be a cheap fix, yay!)

I've felt the same way a few times, I love those moments. You roll by and see a couple of kids stop and stare, you rev it and they get these great big smiles on their faces. I remember being that kid too, and making my parents wait so I could see and hear the cool, loud car. I like being a part of helping the next generation get excited about cars.

Car culture is going to be a lot different in twenty, thirty years, so to see kids getting into cars, and old cars especially, makes me feel really good about the future of cars.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Similar thing happened to me. I was pulling into a parking spot in my Audi, using the rear view camera and two kids on skateboards rolled slowly by. One of them looked at me and then at the car and said "Fuck off you bald fuckin' loser."

Verklmept.

AlphaSnake

I've felt the same way a few times, I love those moments. You roll by and see a couple of kids stop and stare, you rev it and they get these great big smiles on their faces. I remember being that kid too, and making my parents wait so I could see and hear the cool, loud car. I like being a part of helping the next generation get excited about cars.

Car culture is going to be a lot different in twenty, thirty years, so to see kids getting into cars, and old cars especially, makes me feel really good about the future of cars.

Yeah. I used to get a lot of stop and stares when the 370Z was new, it definitely attracted a lot of attention. But I was young, and I didn't care. I didn't have a house, a child, and was still only dating/engaged. But now, a few years later, a different car, and a different life. But the XKR is seemingly in a different league on attention grabbing. I still think it's a very, very understated car, especially in black...but there's always a number of folk whose eye it catches and that surprises me.

And every time I'm behind the wheel of an F-Type, it's almost annoying how many eyes are on that, though. But I'd still love to own one. And then we have the stupid red Huracan, which is far too ostentatious for me. I really don't even like riding in it, tbh. Not my style.

AlphaSnake

Similar thing happened to me. I was pulling into a parking spot in my Audi, using the rear view camera and two kids on skateboards rolled slowly by. One of them looked at me and then at the car and said "Fuck off you bald fuckin' loser."

Verklmept.

Isn't calling someone a "bald fuckin loser" a hate crime? Don't you guys have your own sect or community?

Top Bottom