• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have a (what seems to be) loaded 2017 Nissan Maxima sitting in my driveway right now. Loaner car while my XKR gets its paint corrected by the dealership's detailers. (I was late, so they ran out of actual Jags to give me).

A.M.A

matmanx1

I have a (what seems to be) loaded 2017 Nissan Maxima sitting in my driveway right now. Loaner car while my XKR gets its paint corrected by the dealership's detailers. (I was late, so they ran out of actual Jags to give me).

A.M.A

How terrible is the CVT?

mkenyon

Banned
Even the S8 (plus) sucks? I'm considering taking one for a test drive.
There's a lot of people that really enjoy Audis. They typically get hate from enthusiasts for a myriad of reasons, between a lack of feeling and general issues with reliability.

However, enjoyment of a car is always incredibly subjective. If you like it, and like it more than other things you could get for the same amount, then it could be a great choice for you.

That being said, fuck Audis. Soulless.

but god damn the S5 w/ V8 is still soooooooo gorgeous

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There's a lot of people that really enjoy Audis. They typically get hate from enthusiasts for a myriad of reasons, between a lack of feeling and general issues with reliability.

However, enjoyment of a car is always incredibly subjective. If you like it, and like it more than other things you could get for the same amount, then it could be a great choice for you.

That being said, fuck Audis. Soulless.

but god damn the S5 w/ V8 is still soooooooo gorgeous

I'm sorry, I can't hear you from the whisper quiet beautifully thought out confines of my luxurious cabin. Also I am blasting yacht Rock.

AlphaSnake

How terrible is the CVT?

So, so, soooo bad. It's a curse, really. No matter what bullshit Nissan spouts about CVTs and the improvements they've made to them, it's trash tier. And I think it always will be. The engine is absolutely outdated and the transmission is just God awful. This is not a driver's car, but it is extremely nice inside. And people really like the way it looks.

On the bright side, my car is ready and has been re-detailed.

ascii42

If by practicality you mean rear seats, yes unless the people sitting in the back are children or extremely slim, the back seats are a bit pointless unless the driver/passenger have short legs or want to drive bow-legged.

If you mean practicality in terms of carrying stuff, with the rear seats folded down I get four complete bikes in the back, or one semi-dismantled CBR-400.

But really, the back seats are just there for baby seats/show

No, your back seat passengers just have to get creative with where they put their legs

17km440engkh8jpg.jpg

TTTR

No, your back seat passengers just have to get creative with where they put their legs
Haha that's exactly like it is in the new GTC4 Lusso. After testing the drivers seat (comfy!) i stupidly decided to crawl on the back seat. Big mistake. The front seat moves back automatically to after putting the back rest in its original position. I didn't check where the front seat was before i got in. Well, it stopped with not much room left. But i guess they have some kind of emergency feature stopping the front seat before crushing your legs (i hope...).

matmanx1

Audi to me is someone that can't decide between a BMW or a Mercedes. Luxury or sport pick one!

Haha. Audi to me is a younger, hipper luxury buyer as opposed to the Benz crowd. All the folks that have the high end Q5's and A series stuff around here look fairly young and polished while driving their kids to private school functions. And we even have a few S model's around here and those folks are exclusively young, male enthusiasts.

So, so, soooo bad. It's a curse, really. No matter what bullshit Nissan spouts about CVTs and the improvements they've made to them, it's trash tier. And I think it always will be. The engine is absolutely outdated and the transmission is just God awful. This is not a driver's car, but it is extremely nice inside. And people really like the way it looks.

On the bright side, my car is ready and has been re-detailed.

Yeah, I thought so. My wife loves her Altima but it is pre- CVT and whenever she gets ready for her next vehicle I am going to strongly discourage shopping Nissan. It's not that I hate all CVT's (I think Honda's is decent, or so I have heard) but Nissan's seem to be especially dull.

And congrats on your getting your car back. Mine left for the auto body shop yesterday morning to fix the deer damage. They estimate about a week for repair.

Bandit1

On a completely unrelated note, what would you base your wastelant Magnum Opus on?

Ideally mine would be based on the 1964-1972 GM A-body. Chevelle/GTO/Cutlass. Full framed cars, whole lotta room in the back for my gear, spare tire, and extra guzzoline. And of course V8.

That is, if I couldn't get the Interceptor itself:

dd00b5a93837708baf4eca4ba1d0a4f4.jpg

Just beat the Mad Max game a couple weeks still pretty pumped about it lol.

Stinkles

Honestly, a Toyota FJ Cruiser, or Land Cruiser which are reliable as shit, can strap loads of stuff too and while they're hardly frugal, all the post apocalyptic vehicles in fiction treat the gasoline shortage like it's jokes.

AlphaSnake

Haha. Audi to me is a younger, hipper luxury buyer as opposed to the Benz crowd. All the folks that have the high end Q5's and A series stuff around here look fairly young and polished while driving their kids to private school functions. And we even have a few S model's around here and those folks are exclusively young, male enthusiasts.

Yeah, I thought so. My wife loves her Altima but it is pre- CVT and whenever she gets ready for her next vehicle I am going to strongly discourage shopping Nissan. It's not that I hate all CVT's (I think Honda's is decent, or so I have heard) but Nissan's seem to be especially dull.

And congrats on your getting your car back. Mine left for the auto body shop yesterday morning to fix the deer damage. They estimate about a week for repair.

Thanks, I'll be picking it up today. Bringing a powerful flashlight with me. LOL. They said it looks great, I told them I'll be the judge of that.

So, In light of recent...events, I did make a purchase yesterday. I bought a 2014 Kia Soul. I've been waiting to replace my crappy car for a few years now and now I've got something that I love. :D
CkBX3tq.jpg

I really like its looks, esp if its in electric blue

Agreed. Though the one I'm looking at is black.

Sadly this one isn't a Polestar, I don't think they even made Polestars or R-Designs before 2012.

I'm really interested in it though. Almost everything I've read seems that it's a perfectly reliable car, much more reliable than a GTI, and much more comfortable since the suspension isn't really sporty which is what I want coz if I want sporty, I'll jump in my Miata instead.

Sadly this one isn't a Polestar, I don't think they even made Polestars or R-Designs before 2012.

I'm really interested in it though. Almost everything I've read seems that it's a perfectly reliable car, much more reliable than a GTI, and much more comfortable since the suspension isn't really sporty which is what I want coz if I want sporty, I'll jump in my Miata instead.

As far as I know, its the same drivetrain from the s40, and they seem to be alright. They've been making the 5cyl for a while, and they're good engines.

matmanx1

So, In light of recent...events, I did make a purchase yesterday. I bought a 2014 Kia Soul. I've been waiting to replace my crappy car for a few years now and now I've got something that I love. :D
CkBX3tq.jpg

Good for you! I like the color and everyone I know that has one really likes it. Congrats.

Agreed. Though the one I'm looking at is black.

I've driven a "vanilla" one and it was extremely quiet and not at all sporty. I liked the interior but, at the time, I wanted something more fun. It felt more like a quiet luxury compact than a "hot hatch" (or even warm hatch).

On the other hand I really like the way they look and the fact that they are very unique and rare. For an everyday car with some class and character it would be a good choice.

Saw a f-150 truck rear end a ford suv two cars ahead of me. I actually remember thinking "that truck is aggressive, I am giving a big cushion" and let another car ahead of me. That SUV got smashed good but man, the truck's entire front looked pushed in, doubt it could have gotten to the side of the road. Must have hit going almost 30-40 MPH and pushed the SUV at least 6 car lengths.

AlphaSnake

Didn't pick up my car today.

Well I tried to.

Made it to the dealer. Came out of the loaner. Was ready to go with my flashlight to inspect and shit. And didn't even need it. The work was just a mess. The buffer trails were insane, especially under the showroom-esque light in the covered entrance bay. The manager came out to see me and asked how is it...but as he got closer and looked at it his face just like "whoah...no, I see it too".

The night before when it was done, they said it looked great. And it immediately made realize that the wax or sealant must've cured and exposed all of the swirling within that 24 hours. They apologized and called the owner of the detail company. They assigned a different guy to my car than originally planned. And the owner said he will personally handle the fix himself tomorrow.

They went looking for a manager's car to give me, instead of that sorry ass Maxima. LOL. They had an F-Type on the lot with a plate, but it was gone...Phil (the manager) just left with it 10 minutes prior to me. Damn you, Phil.

Pinewood

CkBX3tq.jpg

I sure looks nice in red. My friends family got the electric one, its a really nice car. The sat nav sd card slot being in the middle of the centre console is weird tho, doenst seem like something that is constantly (if ever) accessed.

The electrics charging light on the dash is too damn bright during the night too, had to cover that up cos the blinking through curtains drove me crazy.

Mistel

Banned
What do you drive in real life? You and me are usually more interested in the old stuff than most people, but I don't think I've ever seen you post your car(s).
I've not got one at the moment being in uni and all with no where to leave it but afterwards I'm either getting a MK3 Capri or a 70 Super Bee if I could find one.

Stinkles

I just read Motor Trends' cars of the year article, http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-motor-trend-car-of-the-year-introduction/ and while I've only driven a fraction of the cars in it, I couldn't help but notice some really weird elements. Having worked in journalism, they look like simple "I forgot, scanned the notes wrong, misremembered which car that was..." mistakes to me, but one stood out like crazy, which was their summation that the 2017 Audi A4 cabin was cheaper looking, with fit and finish issues. I literally wonder if they had a bad car for review.

Mine, and every one I've sat in (and that's a startling number) was put together like a solid block of seamless aluminum. Like, no gaps, rattles squeaks or shenanigans AT ALL. And easily tighter and better than the 2016, which they adore and is objectively one of the best cabins ever. I bought the 2017 PRIMARILY because of the improvements to the cabin and comfort.

Don't get me wrong, they LOVED the car, but calling out that aspect as a negative is literally equivalent to saying the Corvette is far too expensive, or Hondas are unreliable.

Anyway the primary reason I typed this is that I don't want to read about Trump.

AlphaSnake

Speaking of Motor Trend COTY. Both the XF and XE made the list. The XE qualified to the finals. But holy shit, MT 1/4'd the XE at 12.9? That's fucking quick. In any case, nice to see both Jags on the list. Not one BMW.

2017 CAR OF THE YEAR CONTENDERS

Buick LaCrosse
Chevrolet Volt
Fiat 124 Spider
Ford Focus RS
Honda Accord
Hyundai Elantra
Jaguar XF
Kia Cadenza
Kia Forte
Mercedes-Benz C300 Coupe 4Matic
Mercedes-Benz E300
Mini Clubman
Toyota Prius Two Eco

2017 CAR OF THE YEAR FINALISTS

Audi A4
Cadillac CT6
Chevrolet Bolt
Chrysler Pacifica
Genesis G90
Jaguar XE
Porsche 911
Tesla Model S 60/75
Volvo S90

ascii42

From the CT6 page
That extends to the details, such as the infuriatingly complex process to switch between Tour and Sport modes.
Press the Mode button once to bring up the list of modes on the instrument cluster, then cycle through them with the Mode button? There are three options: Tour, Sport, and Snow/Ice. So...going from Tour to Sport means pressing Mode twice? That sure is complex.

Stinkles

From the CT6 page

Press the Mode button once to bring up the list of modes on the instrument cluster, then cycle through them with the Mode button? There are three options: Tour, Sport, and Snow/Ice. So...going from Tour to Sport means pressing Mode twice? That sure is complex.

There's TONS of that kind of throwaway inaccuracy throughout the piece. I honestly feel like they mixed up cars in their notes.

Evo X

Had a strange dream where Stinkles called me on Skype telling me to buy an Xbox One S. Kept saying it's smooth, classy, and quite like his A4.

The whole time I remember wondering "how the hell did he get my contact info?" Lol

Bandit1

I've not got one at the moment being in uni and all with no where to leave it but afterwards I'm either getting a MK3 Capri or a 70 Super Bee if I could find one.

That's cool, I really like the 70 Super Bees, the front end has a really unique look. Think I might have only seen one or two at shows over the years.

Good for you! I like the color and everyone I know that has one really likes it. Congrats.

I've driven a "vanilla" one and it was extremely quiet and not at all sporty. I liked the interior but, at the time, I wanted something more fun. It felt more like a quiet luxury compact than a "hot hatch" (or even warm hatch).

On the other hand I really like the way they look and the fact that they are very unique and rare. For an everyday car with some class and character it would be a good choice.

Grats man! The Soul is a neat little car that somehow found a way to make boxy and efficient look slick. Plus that red is really catching.

I sure looks nice in red. My friends family got the electric one, its a really nice car. The sat nav sd card slot being in the middle of the centre console is weird tho, doenst seem like something that is constantly (if ever) accessed.

The electrics charging light on the dash is too damn bright during the night too, had to cover that up cos the blinking through curtains drove me crazy.

Congrats!! hope you enjoy your cars for many years!!
Thanks y'all, it's the perfect college car for me right now tbh. :)

Stinkles

Had a strange dream where Stinkles called me on Skype telling me to buy an Xbox One S. Kept saying it's smooth, classy, and quite like his A4.

The whole time I remember wondering "how the hell did he get my contact info?" Lol

The darkest timeline.

That's actually kinda what I'm looking for.

Like I still enjoy the racecar sensation my Miata gives me, but 200 miles a week in a racecar can get a little exhausting. I just wanna jam to my tunes and enjoy a cushy ride while commuting instead of having to adjust my body physically to account for a huge bump on the road or my ears having to fight whether to listen to the exhaust or music lolol.

Unfortunately, finances may not work out on this car. A few of the CU's I've talked to require me to be a account holder before they can give me a loan, the other companies that I could actually get a decent rate don't consider Carmax as a franchised dealer so they can't or don't want to finance a car with them.

Also Carmax's financing is fncking garbage. Sure my credit score isn't exactly that great(between 680-700) but I'm in my mid 20's, graduated out of college 2 years ago and this is my first real full time job... the best they can do is 8% APR for me. Like what the fnck? The CU's are more than willing to offer me under 4% for even a $30K loan but that franchised dealership thing is the hold up...

I'm not that desperate for the car so may whoever buys it enjoys it, but it's a shame that I'm gonna have to let it go coz Carmax is trash.

Smokey

***Breaking News***

PAYOFF INFORMATION
Quote Information
Quote Date 11/11/2016
Good Through* 11/11/2016
Interest Per Day $0.08
Net Payoff
$1,082.06

PAYOFF INFORMATION
Quote Information
Quote Date 11/11/2016
Good Through* 11/11/2016
Interest Per Day $0.00
Net Payoff
$0.00

It is DONE.

I made this post in the OG Auto thread way back on 06/10/2011

Alright guys, need a little help. Not sure if I mentioned it but about a month who I bought a 08 CPO 335i convertible with 24k miles. Has premium package, navigation, and sport package. Previous owner bought an extended warranty as well so I'm covered until 2014/100K miles.

Needless to say coming from a 2008 corolla my mind is blown. A month later and I still can't get over the handling and how smooth it is to drive. Top down is also nice and catches plenty of eyes.

It's great and all...but I want more. I got a taste of greatness when I hit 100 or so without even trying the other day. I know shit about mods but I know I want a chip and aftermarket exhaust. Only chip I'm really aware of is the dinan which would give me 78 more HP.

And what about tires? Right now its on run flats, which actually came in handy as I had a nail in my back tire and had to take it up to the BMW dealer for repair. I've heard that RF aren't all that good for comfort or performance?

Sorry for such a long post. Yall know your shit so just looking for advice on what to do to unlock the beast out of this car.

And now....it's done. Just went ahead and took care of the payoff amount.

I've got around 107,000 miles on it. Driven it 83,000ish miles in 5 years. I love the car. Still fun to drive. I was really new to cars back then and made a bunch of mistakes. Didn't put any money down. I didn't pay attention to the model year in relation to the LCI and model upgrades. I think the LCI of the e90 series actually hit in 2012, one year later. My CPO warranty actually ended 2 years ago. Been paying this enormous note on an out of warranty BMW. Live life on the edge brehs. Huge mistakes. I am glad that I went through the "fire" at 24 vs 44. I applied these lessons when I bought my wife's car 3 years ago. I'll never look at a car note the same again. In fact my next car I don't plan to go any longer than 36 months, if that.

I need to do some up keep on the car. Brake replacement, fluids, front tires, etc. I also want to get into modding. Told myself once it was paid off I'd start really looking into it. Plan to keep the car until maintenance or repairs make it unrealistic to keep. Eventually plan on it just being my 3rd car. It was the first huge purchase I made out of college so it has some sentimental value to me. Weird feeling and it probably won't hit me until next month when I actually have the payment amount sitting in my account!

Still...feels good man

Top Bottom