• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

A family member is pulling a coup... we might have a non-Mazda added to our stable as soon as tomorrow.

On that note question for y'all... would y'all rather trade in a old full size SUV(with 160k miles) that has a TIV of $750 or a mid-size sedan(about 100k miles) that has a TIV of $1500?

That's the only thing that held up the deal this afternoon lol. I know $1K takes off $20 from the monthly or whatever so it's really negligible at the end of the day.

Excited to announce that I officially got a job at Porsche!

Starting Wednesday. :D

Congrats man!!

As somebody who just left the auto dealership field, it requires a lot of enthusiasm and backbone to stick around.

I was merely a inventory photog for an MB dealer and while I did like the job and the money, it just wasn't for me in terms of creativity. I found that instead of it making me a better photographer(coz it's essentially repetition), I was regressing into a lazy photog, preferring to leave everything in automatic mode instead of doing the best that I can. Hell, I worked a couple of modeling agency photoshoots a month ago and the producer noticed almost immediately that I wasn't my usual self on the camera.

Plus they cut my hours and playing office politics is a bullshit thing so eh lol.

Anyway, it was a fantastic day in the 70's here in DFW, so I had no choice but to do #MiataMonday right:

boltz

Im going to throw some names out there, and I know they are different, but they are in my price range. So bear with me. Its going to be a lease.

Mustang Eco Boost
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ

Any other suggestions in this group, maybe a car I am not thinking of?

Since you already have a FRS and are leasing your next car, why not try something different than a BRZ? Here are some other suggestions in that price range: Fiat 500 Abarth, FoST/Fist, GTI, Miata

Excited to announce that I officially got a job at Porsche!

Starting Wednesday. :D

Congrats, you are living the dream :)

A family member is pulling a coup... we might have a non-Mazda added to our stable as soon as tomorrow.

On that note question for y'all... would y'all rather trade in a old full size SUV(with 160k miles) that has a TIV of $750 or a mid-size sedan(about 100k miles) that has a TIV of $1500?

That's the only thing that held up the deal this afternoon lol. I know $1K takes off $20 from the monthly or whatever so it's really negligible at the end of the day.

I would think that having an old beater SUV around would be more handy than an old beater sedan.

Pinewood

UPnFcgN.jpg
Yesterdays morning, the roads are now clean :(

SliChillax

Hah really? Its really noticeable on mine on bad roads. On smooth roads it's hard to tell I find, possibly as I am not pushing it hard enough.

Tried checking the options for the sport/comfort buttons? You can configure it to change drive train and/or chassis right? Probably teaching you to suck eggs telling you this haha

Haha yes I do have everything set correctly. I'll try once again and compare it when I have the chance cause right now I'm studying abroad and don't have the car with me.

SliChillax

It's a bit old but I just noticed from Motor Trends video of the Chiron when it was announced
pWmAhPd.jpg

Holy fuckballs that torque line! Around 720nm (530lb ft) at 1000rpm and 1600nm (1180 lb ft) at 2000rpm consistent until the end of the rev range!

boltz

It's a bit old but I just noticed from Motor Trends video of the Chiron when it was announced
pWmAhPd.jpg

Holy fuckballs that torque line! Around 720nm (530lb ft) at 1000rpm and 1600nm (1180 lb ft) at 2000rpm consistent until the end of the rev range!

LOL, that thing makes more torque at idle than most cars' peak torque.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have a rec for a driving course/lesson? My old man is considering a few fancy M cars when the lease runs out on his current cars, and thought it'd be nice to take him somewhere for his birthday.

It seems like they've exploded in popularity/numbers in recent times. There's the factory ones (Porsche/BMW), and tons in Vegas and Arizona.
Did some spirited canyon run in the Bay Area with my F30 320i Redwood Road Canyon Run
Looks like an awesome time :)

Had a BRZ and now I'm in a WRX. The BRZ is very nimble and handles like a dream. The 200hp isn't as bad as it sounds to some and it was always more than enough for me. The WRX on the other hand, is much more practical and you feel the power difference right away. Obviously, it's not as nimble and the seats aren't as good, but it's most of the way there overall.

Do you really feel the wight of the WRX? like is it cornering with a family sedan?

What about Genesis Coupe? do they still make that? Man this is the first time in a decade I have no idea what to get.

v1lla21

Do you really feel the wight of the WRX? like is it cornering with a family sedan?

What about Genesis Coupe? do they still make that? Man this is the first time in a decade I have no idea what to get.
I think the 2016 model was the last couple they were going to offer. My buddy owns a 2013 2.0 R-Spec and seems to like it but I don't know much about the car.
One thing he does complain about is the interior but that could've been updated in the newer models.

I think the 2016 model was the last couple they were going to offer. My buddy owns a 2013 2.0 R-Spec and seems to like it but I don't know much about the car.
One thing he does complain about is the interior but that could've been updated in the newer models.

I just read they discontinued it.

mkenyon

Banned

Genesis Coupe is basically outclassed in all respects by the Mustang. It's not a great car, and it's cheap in places where it shouldn't be. They went all out on gauges and trim, but have a sloppy shifter and meh steering wheel. It's like the opposite of the Evo X.
If I go for a 997.2 C2S over a 991.1 C2S would I regret it?
You might regret both over a 996 Turbo :p

*edit* @Into the Light - have you seen the everyday driver video discussing the three cars you're looking at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-4OIxm3XaE

Evo X

Wow, congrats! Sounds like a dream job.

Thanks!

Congrats man!!

As somebody who just left the auto dealership field, it requires a lot of enthusiasm and backbone to stick around.

I was merely a inventory photog for an MB dealer and while I did like the job and the money, it just wasn't for me in terms of creativity. I found that instead of it making me a better photographer(coz it's essentially repetition), I was regressing into a lazy photog, preferring to leave everything in automatic mode instead of doing the best that I can. Hell, I worked a couple of modeling agency photoshoots a month ago and the producer noticed almost immediately that I wasn't my usual self on the camera.

Plus they cut my hours and playing office politics is a bullshit thing so eh lol.

Anyway, it was a fantastic day in the 70's here in DFW, so I had no choice but to do #MiataMonday right:

Thanks! Sorry to hear you had a bad experience in the industry, but it all depends on the people you work with I suppose. Yours also didn't seem like the best job for a creative person so I can see it getting boring. I'm more analytical than creative so hopefully it works out for me.

Car's looking sharp btw.

Congrats!

Thanks! Hit me up when you wanna pick up another car. :)

Congrats, you are living the dream

Haha, feels like it sometimes. Hope this job can strike a balance between work and fun.

pWmAhPd.jpg

That's insane. I wish I could have driven the demo. Would have been a once in a lifetime experience.

Anyone have a rec for a driving course/lesson? My old man is considering a few fancy M cars when the lease runs out on his current cars, and thought it'd be nice to take him somewhere for his birthday.

It seems like they've exploded in popularity/numbers in recent times. There's the factory ones (Porsche/BMW), and tons in Vegas and Arizona.

Where do you live? Depends on if you want to do a shorter thrill experience or a full on multiple day school. There's plenty of places that let you do a few laps in supercars. But if you want to be more serious, I'd recommend the M school or a day at the Porsche Experience Center. I also know Lexus started doing training in their F series cars recently and were offering massive discounts to get people to attend. Like half the price of the competitors.

5DFfg5Q.jpg

This was taken seconds after I pulled into the parking lot at my work place. Ask me if I had fun on my lunch break =)

Did you have fun on your lunch break?

If I go for a 997.2 C2S over a 991.1 C2S would I regret it?

Depends on what youre looking for. 991 is roomier and has a nicer interior, but 997 has superior hydraulic steering. Both have fantastic transmissions and look good.

mkenyon

Banned
Where do you live? Depends on if you want to do a shorter thrill experience or a full on multiple day school. There's plenty of places that let you do a few laps in supercars. But if you want to be more serious, I'd recommend the M school or a day at the Porsche Experience Center. I also know Lexus started doing training in their F series cars recently and were offering massive discounts to get people to attend. Like half the price of the competitors.
Bend, OR

Closest track to me is PIR.

Leaning towards the BMW school since my old man is likely going to put down on an X3M unless I can talk him into an M5. Past 6 cars he owned were BMWs (goes through them like crazy), so it's fitting.

*edit*

Maybe I'll wait to hear your and Matman's thoughts on the Porsche Experience before making a decision.
Yeah, 996 is just too raw of a vehicle. 991 is more comfortable. Steering isn't 100% a priority. Local dealer has a 2011 GTS Cab in my price range.
wot

If steering isn't 100% a priority, why are you looking at Porsches? :p

Genesis Coupe is basically outclassed in all respects by the Mustang. It's not a great car, and it's cheap in places where it shouldn't be. They went all out on gauges and trim, but have a sloppy shifter and meh steering wheel. It's like the opposite of the Evo X.

You might regret both over a 996 Turbo :p

*edit* @Into the Light - have you seen the everyday driver video discussing the three cars you're looking at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-4OIxm3XaE

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.It makes me even more confused. I guess WRX is out.

dohdough

Compared to the BRZ, you definitely feel it a little bit, but compared to a Camry, it's flat on the turns. Part of the difference is also rwd vs awd. Anedotely, the WRX feels like it has a smaller turn radius than the BRZ which is probably due to awd management system.

I think one of the biggest factors in feeling the weight of the car is the seating position. I think your ass is less than a foot from the ground in the BRZ, where as the WRX is noticeably higher when you go from one to another.

The reason why I gave up the BRZ was because I had a kid, so if you don't see yourself having one a year into the lease, I see no reason not to get a BRZ if you really want it over the WRX. You just need to figure out if you prefer agility over raw power and useable space because those are the biggest differences.

Compared to the BRZ, you definitely feel it a little bit, but compared to a Camry, it's flat on the turns. Part of the difference is also rwd vs awd. Anedotely, the WRX feels like it has a smaller turn radius than the BRZ which is probably due to awd management system.

I think one of the biggest factors in feeling the weight of the car is the seating position. I think your ass is less than a foot from the ground in the BRZ, where as the WRX is noticeably higher when you go from one to another.

The reason why I gave up the BRZ was because I had a kid, so if you don't see yourself having one a year into the lease, I see no reason not to get a BRZ if you really want it over the WRX. You just need to figure out if you prefer agility over raw power and useable space because those are the biggest differences.

So for someone who has had two FRS's for Geez 5 years now. What am I supposed to get that puts a smile on my face like this car has?

mkenyon

Banned
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.It makes me even more confused. I guess WRX is out.
Just gonna throw this in there once more, but in terms of similar cars, you can get a low mileage (30-40k) Evo X in the same price range.

I know you wanted to lease, but take a really close look at the Evo X and think about buying instead. With the brand killed off, and the STi being a lesser car overall, it should hold value pretty damn well.

Heck, you can find E90/92 M3s in the same ballpark.

Makki

Just gonna throw this in there once more, but in terms of similar cars, you can get a low mileage (30-40k) Evo X in the same price range.

I know you wanted to lease, but take a really close look at the Evo X and think about buying instead. With the brand killed off, and the STi being a lesser car overall, it should hold value pretty damn well.

Heck, you can find E90/92 M3s in the same ballpark.

5 Gears, extremely dated interior, no recaros on newer models, awful gas mileage... he said he wanted to enjoy driving, not to get put on a stretcher and whipped during his commute.

mkenyon

Banned
5 Gears, extremely dated interior, no recaros on newer models, awful gas mileage... he said he wanted to enjoy driving, not to get put on a stretcher and whipped during his commute.
Not on the MR, which has one of the best sequential gearboxes available.

It's not like the FRS/BRZ interior is winning any awards either, which is what he's been living with, and considering. I don't really find the Evo X more punishing than a WRX. Same ballpark, even though the WRX is more comfortable.

If one wants to replicate the smile they get from an FRS/BRZ, you get a lightweight sporting car, not a comfortable grocery getter that has pep.

dohdough

So for someone who has had two FRS's for Geez 5 years now. What am I supposed to get that puts a smile on my face like this car has?

S2k?

Honestly, if you really love the 86 that much, just stay in one. I get that you're feeling a little upgrade-itus, but I don't think anything is going to tick any of those boxes that the 86 does unless you go way up-market.

S2k?

Honestly, if you really love the 86 that much, just stay in one. I get that you're feeling a little upgrade-itus, but I don't think anything is going to tick any of those boxes that the 86 does unless you go way up-market.

Cayman. NA last gen are going for a good price.

Barring that even an SLK300 puts the 86 down.

But imo the 86 is such a hilariously missed opportunity so don't take my word for it.

matmanx1

Did you have fun on your lunch break?

Yes I did, and thanks for asking. What an amazingly sunny day it was for January 31. The sun felt so good I had to loose the top on the way back from lunch and it was totally worth it.

I told you, the MX-5 Miata. Go drive one, you will thank me. I'm not even a "convertible person" but the Miata has completely changed my automotive life in terms of my definition of what's fun, cheap and continually puts a smile on my face.

Shadoken

Terrible idea. Under no circumstance buy out your old lease. It will be far too expensive, as opposed to just buying a used one with similar mileage. Also, older FR-S' tend to be more prone to crickets.

I thought you just pay the remainder? Isnt the amount you pay for the lease usually just whatever the depreciation was , Would another similar used FRS really be cheaper?

Also every FRS has crickets even new ones. Its just part of the car at this point especially if you live in CA with its fuel.

Makki

I told you, the MX-5 Miata. Go drive one, you will thank me. I'm not even a "convertible person" but the Miata has completely changed my automotive life in terms of my definition of what's fun, cheap and continually puts a smile on my face.
f7FdEdG.jpg

I had a 2013 FRS for a couple of years. I did the Mazda driving experience at Daytona on a new Miata Club and Jesus tapdancing Christ it was heaven. The way the car steered with the throttle even at low speeds and the tossability was incredible. It was just like the FRS but better in terms of cornering ability and ease of losing grip. The one downside was that the windshield pillar felt really close to my face. Price-wise is another downside to the Toyobaru, where Mazda likes to charge for their car like its a japanese luxury car or something.

Yes I did, and thanks for asking. What an amazingly sunny day it was for January 31. The sun felt so good I had to loose the top on the way back from lunch and it was totally worth it.

I'll definitely give it a look.

Evo X

This seems incredibly stupid to me. Not like anyone is going to use it as a race car like the BAC Mono.

It's an inheritantly heavy platform at 4,500lbs. Losing the seats is a huge inconvenience for marginal performance gain, especially considering the crazy amount of power it has.

Awesome. We had one random nice day like that here last week, but it's been cold and gloomy since.

Can't wait for summer.I really miss having a convertible.

I'll definitely give it a look.

Along with the new Miata, check out a 987 Cayman S. My friend picked up a clean one owner car in the same price range.

Mistel

Banned
Yep, practically my exact thoughts.

Did a little research and apparently that is the issue.
Even if it did blow up completely there's millions of Buick V6 knocking about so it wouldn't be too hard to replace could even just supercharge it with parts from a junked one really at this stage.

The coup was successful!

T9DnpH2h.jpg

2015 Accord Sport with the horribly named 2.4L "Earth Dreams" engine and a CVT.

Now the CVT in this car is kinda surprising... like if this was my initial impression of a CVT, I probably wouldn't hate it as much as I did before. It's fast and "shifts" pretty good, heck the shifts with the paddle shifters on this thing is almost instantaneous, it's seriously surprising.

The car itself is shockingly good! It's not as fast as the V6 but it's fast enough for daily driving duties, and of course with paddle shifters in sport mode, it's got something hidden in it lol. Cornering wise though, I think the Mazda6 has the upper hand. I feel like I'm reaching the threshold of grip really quick on this thing even on the street, whereas on the Mazda6, it doesn't feel like you're reaching the limit at all, especially in the streets.

Personally though, I'd probably go for the Mazda6 instead since the automatic tranny is almost DSG like, but also you can usually find one with a manual tranny. Plus the cornering abilities on the Mazda6 is something that I personally prefer.

But man, if you're on the fence for a mid-size economy sedan, I don't think you'd go wrong with the Accord or the Mazda6. The Camry still remains to be seen though with it's new "sporty bullshit" as I like to call it. Also, if the new Civics share the same kind of quality as the Accords... I might be picking up an Si really soon.

Honda might've lost it's motorsport edge, but they still make damn good cars.

Thanks! Sorry to hear you had a bad experience in the industry, but it all depends on the people you work with I suppose. Yours also didn't seem like the best job for a creative person so I can see it getting boring. I'm more analytical than creative so hopefully it works out for me.

Car's looking sharp btw.

Thanks!

Yeah, tbh I don't think it was a bad experience at all. I kinda had a feeling it was gonna turn out that way at the beginning, but I really needed the money and blah blah blah lol. What really irked me was my hours getting cut and office politics.

Also yeah I'm definitely more right brained than left. I'm seriously one of the few Asians in this world that's fncking terrible at math... but I can play a bunch of musical instruments, sing, draw, photograph, and essentially do creative shit really quick lol.

I third this.

I'm still not even a convertible person and would rather prefer a coupe or a hardtop despite owning a Miata for 4 years now, but the Miata handles soooooooooooooo good, you'd be a dumb fool to ignore it just coz you hate convertibles or whatever reason.

Shoot I'm still trying to find a proper replacement for this thing and there's really nothing like it unless you've got Porsche money sitting in the bank.

SliChillax

This seems incredibly stupid to me. Not like anyone is going to use it as a race car like the BAC Mono.

It's an inheritantly heavy platform at 4,500lbs. Losing the seats is a huge inconvenience for marginal performance gain, especially considering the crazy amount of power it has.

The seats are optional though

matmanx1

Real talk. Considered the ND MX-5 a year ago and couldn't believe it costs the same for a GT as a fully loaded Golf R in Canada. Are you kidding me Mazda Canada??

Well, here's the thing about the Miata. Mazda is a small company in automotive terms and the Miata has a lot of components that are unique to it. It's Mazda's only rear while drive car and a lot of what goes in to it can't be shared with the rest of their lineup. So, small company + unique parts = higher cost to manufacture and to sell for a profit. And honestly considering how much fun they are, how cheap they are to maintain and how reliable they are over the long term I think that Mazda's asking price is fair.

Although I am sorry that you folks in Canada get the shaft in terms of pricing. In the USA there's typically 10 grand or more between the Golf R and the MX-5.

Along with the new Miata, check out a 987 Cayman S. My friend picked up a clean one owner car in the same price range.

I will second this. The 987 Cayman is such a good driver's car and you get a ton of performance and fun for the price. The only downside is the maintenance and repair cost will be in another league as compared to the MX-5.

Pretty informative article over at Road and Track about how to corner and maintain traction in wet weather conditions. I found it useful and learned a few things. http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ind-and-keep-traction-on-a-wet-road-or-track/
I like it. I've found that track driving in the wet is an excellent way to learn good vehicle control without having to push speeds into very dangerous territories. It's almost preferable to a dry track day, to be honest.

I just don't think the cayman is a good looking car. Also working on mid-engined cars is a nightmare without a lift.
Great excuse to buy a lift then!

negitoro7

Although I am sorry that you folks in Canada get the shaft in terms of pricing. In the USA there's typically 10 grand or more between the Golf R and the MX-5.

To be fair, the Golf R is a screaming deal in Canada, cheaper here than anywhere else in the world I think.

Still, I remember even when the CAD and USD were on par for the longest time, Mazda still shafted us.

Top Bottom