• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Cowie

What is the best website to search for cars? I can't seem to pull up "1st option" vehicle even though I linked to it earlier. The car is still for sale, yet the search options are not pinging it. Strange.

I know there's another at an Acura dealer that I saw once, and can't get it to reappear again. I have the invoice and everything.

I think for normal stuff autotrader is probably the most robust option? There's more specialized options for rarer things but if you're just looking for dealer inventory autotrader seems the best choice.

Drove a Panamera Turbo home today.

#workperks

Ugh, how is it? I've been toying with the idea of picking up an earlier model year panamera turbo, but trying to convince myself it's a bad plan. lol.

J-Rzez

my local Ford dealer has three RS cars but they've been sitting for a while so theyre likely charging an ADM. really nice looking cars but i've been reading a lot of negativity about them the last few months. heck, now that i think about it, the other ford dealer has had theirs for even longer. these dealers are delusional.

There are more finally selling them without ADM, but others are still marking them up unfortunately.

Only negativity is that they're all of a sudden now complaining about the ride for some reason, going from livable to horrible as time goes on with them. If you're expecting euro-luxury sport ride, youre not going to get it.

Other complaint is you cant left foot brake as it disengages the RDU, and many are trained in that. I was one that had to get used to that as well.

On a side note...

Ordered my ETS exhaust for my RS. Extreme version, non-resonated of course. Lol.

Cobb AP allowed my tuner to enable flat foot shifting and one button launch control too. Just need the weather to get good.

Cowie

If only all listings were this honest
mMK7uEi.jpg
ug2lHVG.png

Evo X

Nice work!

How's the Panamera? And more importantly, is it the definitive luxo barge?

Ugh, how is it? I've been toying with the idea of picking up an earlier model year panamera turbo, but trying to convince myself it's a bad plan. lol.

For clarification, this is a 2015, not the new 2017.

Best way to describe it is like Bruce Banner and Hulk.

In comfort mode, it's effortless cruising. Engine doesn't ever need to turn over 1500rpms. Smooth and quite.

Switch to Sport Plus and put your foot down and it turns into a monster. Blistering speed riding an endless wave of torque. Honestly feels too fast for the street and it's not even the S model. It's pretty much a 4 door 911 Turbo. Will demolish most cars on the road. The engine is making even more power since it's only 20F outside. Launch it and all 4 wheels claw for grip.

Of course you do feel the heft and weight around the corners, but is still world's better than an S Class or M5 in terms of sporting feel.

Makes a hell of a daily driver. Might take it home for the weekend to spend more time in it.

matmanx1

Notice the four (yes, 4) exclamation points in the title of this post. That pretty much encapsulates how much fun I had today driving the Macan GTS at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta.

To begin with, here's the view from the Carrera Cafe overlooking the track first thing in the morning. All that lovely track just sitting there waiting for us to begin. The anticipation is palpable.
DxcwC1W.jpg

No worries here. The track is delightful and full of fun things to do. Vehicle dynamics, kick plate, low friction handling, launch control and slalom (my favorite). Max (my coach) and I did them all. Speaking of, here's Max standing next to the amazing Macan GTS.
Sj6s1NE.jpg

Max is a movie stuntman and works part time as needed at the Porsche Experience Center (PEC) as a coach. Max has worked on The Walking Dead, The Hunger Games and most recently on Stranger Things! You know that scene where Steve (the rich boyfriend) climbs up on the roof of the house to spy on Nancy hanging out with Jonathan? That was actually Max the stuntman! Anyway, the important thing about Max is that he was an excellent coach and gave great driving instructions in a clear and calm manner. He really made the experience a great one and I have to give him a shout out.

And apologies at this point. You are going to see my pasty face in a couple of photos taken by Max. The first one me setting up for a corner:
OZKzlHm.jpg

And here's me on the other side of said corner:
33Qvc5J.jpg

Cheesy grin, indeed. What can I say, I was having a blast! And the Macan...what a ride. Within minutes of me getting in the seat and heading out on the track I was completely in the groove with it. It was comfortable, fast and confidence inspiring. At no time did it ever feel less than supremely capable.

After driving one I can see why Porsche sells so many Macans. It's pretty much the perfect sports car that is also very practical and can be daily driven with little to no sacrifices. And yes, it is a sports car. The GTS I was driving didn't feel like an SUV or even a crossover or lifted wagon. It felt like a planted and nimble sports car and as I drove and pushed it harder it pretty much melted away from my awareness and just did what I asked it to do.

Probably the most amazing component of the Macan GTS is the body control. The Macan weighs over four thousand pounds so it is not a light vehicle. But in Sport Plus it stays planted and level in the corners and if you understeer through a corner its because you set up the corner incorrectly and not due to the vehicle. Yes it is fast. Yes it sounds good. Yes the PDK transmission is excellent and yes the steering is nicely weighted and responsive. But it's the crazy good vehicle dynamics courtesy of the body control that really, really impresses me with the Macan GTS.

One day, I would be happy to have one in my garage and after my time today I can confidently say that it is absolutely worth the asking price. What a vehicle, what a track, what a day!

No Love

Banned
Notice the four (yes, 4) exclamation points in the title of this post. That pretty much encapsulates how much fun I had today driving the Macan GTS at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta.

To begin with, here's the view from the Carrera Cafe overlooking the track first thing in the morning. All that lovely track just sitting there waiting for us to begin. The anticipation is palpable.
DxcwC1W.jpg

No worries here. The track is delightful and full of fun things to do. Vehicle dynamics, kick plate, low friction handling, launch control and slalom (my favorite). Max (my coach) and I did them all. Speaking of, here's Max standing next to the amazing Macan GTS.
Sj6s1NE.jpg

Max is a movie stuntman and works part time as needed at the Porsche Experience Center (PEC) as a coach. Max has worked on The Walking Dead, The Hunger Games and most recently on Stranger Things! You know that scene where Steve (the rich boyfriend) climbs up on the roof of the house to spy on Nancy hanging out with Jonathan? That was actually Max the stuntman! Anyway, the important thing about Max is that he was an excellent coach and gave great driving instructions in a clear and calm manner. He really made the experience a great one and I have to give him a shout out.

And apologies at this point. You are going to see my pasty face in a couple of photos taken by Max. The first one me setting up for a corner:
OZKzlHm.jpg

And here's me on the other side of said corner:
33Qvc5J.jpg

Cheesy grin, indeed. What can I say, I was having a blast! And the Macan...what a ride. Within minutes of me getting in the seat and heading out on the track I was completely in the groove with it. It was comfortable, fast and confidence inspiring. At no time did it ever feel less than supremely capable.

After driving one I can see why Porsche sells so many Macans. It's pretty much the perfect sports car that is also very practical and can be daily driven with little to no sacrifices. And yes, it is a sports car. The GTS I was driving didn't feel like an SUV or even a crossover or lifted wagon. It felt like a planted and nimble sports car and as I drove and pushed it harder it pretty much melted away from my awareness and just did what I asked it to do.

Probably the most amazing component of the Macan GTS is the body control. The Macan weighs over four thousand pounds so it is not a light vehicle. But in Sport Plus it stays planted and level in the corners and if you understeer through a corner its because you set up the corner incorrectly and not due to the vehicle. Yes it is fast. Yes it sounds good. Yes the PDK transmission is excellent and yes the steering is nicely weighted and responsive. But it's the crazy good vehicle dynamics courtesy of the body control that really, really impresses me with the Macan GTS.

One day, I would be happy to have one in my garage and after my time today I can confidently say that it is absolutely worth the asking price. What a vehicle, what a track, what a day!

This post alone sold me more on the idea of enjoying a Porsche SUV more than anything else I've ever read in this thread or on the Internet in general. Thanks for the write-up.

Question: do you know what tires the Macan S was riding on when you drove it?

That sounds like an absolutely fantastic experience. I've been meaning to go down to the new Porsche Experience Center in LA for the last couple months, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Not sure which experience I'd like to do, but a part of me wants to try the Macan S since it was the car I was considering when I put in an order a new car order at the end of last year.

Your write up definitely makes me want to try out this experience now since I won't be getting a Macan S, but perhaps the future.

matmanx1

@ No Love - The Macan GTS was on M+S All Season tires. There was a sticker on the dash that said something to the effect of "M+S Tires installed, Do Not Exceed 150MPH!" I *think* they were Michelin's (because the whole track is Michelin branded) but I did not actually confirm that with my own eyes.

No Love

Banned
@ No Love - The Macan GTS was on M+S All Season tires. There was a sticker on the dash that said something to the effect of "M+S Tires installed, Do Not Exceed 150MPH!" I *think* they were Michelin's (because the whole track is Michelin branded) but I did not actually confirm that with my own eyes.

Very interesting. Sounds like I need to head to the Porsche Experience Center in LA ASAP.

Evo X

Awesome writeup matmanx.Sounds like you had a blast.

Your post totally encapsulated my experience with the Macan. I keep telling people it drives like a higher sitting sports car and not a low riding SUV, but they don't usually believe me until they get behind the wheel.

Got me hyped af for my visit there! I'm starting my online training on Monday. Can schedule the Atlanta trip as soon as that is successfully completed.

Ash_69

Test drove the new Mercedes c class coupe in the 250d amg line variant.

Man what a nice car. Looks absolutely beautiful and exudes quality. Back seats were easily big enough despite many reviews talking about poor head room. I'd say 5ft 10 and under wouldn't struggle.

The engine was smooth and not coarse as feared and produced decent poke. Ride comfort and general refinement, even on the lowered springs blew me away. I was going to go airmatic but after driving it without, I'd have no problems. I still would like to try the c300 as it despite diesel torque, it felt too much slower than my 350z. Maybe that was my naivety taking over believning it would feel as quick in normal driving conditions but it doesn't.

Didn't get a chance to really test out handling due to where we were driving but the weight of the wheel in sport plus felt nice if a little removed.

I love the car buying process. Trying to find a c300 to test before making a decision. They're like unicorns in the uk apparantly.

Pinewood

Test drove the new Mercedes c class coupe in the 250d amg line variant.

Man what a nice car. Looks absolutely beautiful and exudes quality. Back seats were easily big enough despite many reviews talking about poor head room. I'd say 5ft 10 and under wouldn't struggle.

The engine was smooth and not coarse as feared and produced decent poke. Ride comfort and general refinement, even on the lowered springs blew me away. I was going to go airmatic but after driving it without, I'd have no problems. I still would like to try the c300 as it despite diesel torque, it felt too much slower than my 350z. Maybe that was my naivety taking over believning it would feel as quick in normal driving conditions but it doesn't.

Didn't get a chance to really test out handling due to where we were driving but the weight of the wheel in sport plus felt nice if a little removed.

I love the car buying process. Trying to find a c300 to test before making a decision. They're like unicorns in the uk apparantly.
If the maximum height for the back seat is 5ft10 then Id call the headroom pretty poor. But it would give me instant shotgun rights so maybe thats a good thing

Cowie

ugh, matmanx's writeup has me looking up plane tickets from dc to atl

porsche experience sounds like the kinda mini-vacation I need this year

Ok, So the MX5 RF is something to see up close. I sat in it on Saturday. Amazingly overpriced right now, but once the crazy dealer mark ups are over with, I will take a hard look at this for my next car. Very impressed with the styling. Dealer mark up was $6,000 for a $38,749 total.

2014 Panamera S is turbo'd as well.

It's not as sick as the actual Turbo with a Capital T, but it will get you there.

Would absolutely love to have a macan as a family suv when or if I have kids

They're not a family vehicle. They're practically a hatchback. I cross shopped them a while back. Macan has less room in the back seat than my Mercedes C Class.

I lugged around a car seat and base specifically to test.

What's the tuning scene like for base 911's Carrera? Anyone know? Anyway to squeeze a few extra dozen HP and some extra torque out of them?

otapnam

Too bad about the macan backseat haha.

On the other hand, the wife and I are looking at purchasing a cpo 2014 BMW 535i m sport. Prices are looking pretty good with the g30 arriving.

I don't remember Carfax costing so much - is there any alternative that's just as good ( these are all lease returns most likely) or do I just have to pay up for the real deal?

Evo X

On the other hand, the wife and I are looking at purchasing a cpo 2014 BMW 535i m sport. Prices are looking pretty good with the g30 arriving.

I don't remember Carfax costing so much - is there any alternative that's just as good ( these are all lease returns most likely) or do I just have to pay up for the real deal?

Yeah, the Macan is small. Space is more like a golf GTI than an SUV. Pretty sure the rear passengers in an i3 have more room than the Macan.

Also, PM me the VIN on the 5 series. I'll run it for you when I get back to work tomorrow.

It's my day off and I'm at the dentist right now spending it getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Fuck me. Lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, my wife loves the Macan too and wanted to see and drive one. She didn't go for the test drive after seeing how tiny the rear was, even for her stature...a minuscule 5'1. I did though!

Hahaha. I liked the interior and quality of materials of it quite more than the F-Pace. But it loses a ton in usability and daily practicality for the kind of money in commands. The sales rep insisted we both sat in the front, and half way into the test drive I hit a little dip over a constructed chunk of road on the I-4, and the rep said "well I regret sitting back here". Hahaha. To be fair, he was about my height at 6'1.

So it's easily Porsche's worst offering as an overall package. It's more of a CLA competitor than CLC or F-Pace that it's been often compared to by the press.

Although, I do believe the CLA AMG and Macan S have been tested by Motor Trend head to head.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, my wife loves the Macan too and wanted to see and drive one. She didn't go for the test drive after seeing how tiny the rear was, even for her stature...a minuscule 5'1. I did though!

Hahaha. I liked the interior and quality of materials of it quite more than the F-Pace. But it loses a ton in usability and daily practicality for the kind of money in commands. The sales rep insisted we both sat in the front, and half way into the test drive I hit a little dip over a constructed chunk of road on the I-4, and the rep said "well I regret sitting back here". Hahaha. To be fair, he was about my height at 6'1.

So it's easily Porsche's worst offering as an overall package. It's more of a CLA competitor than CLC or F-Pace that it's been often compared to by the press.

Although, I do believe the CLA AMG and Macan S have been tested by Motor Trend head to head.
GLA, yeah.

Really though, do you need much rear leg room with a kid? As long as the car seat fits behind both front seats, you're pretty much golden. With a car seat in the rear, it's not like you're going to be lugging around a couple as well.

Matt Farah went from LA -> Mammoth in one, 4 people, 4 pairs of skis and boots, and said it was perfect for the trip. *shrug*

I mean, if I didnt have a trailer, I don't think I'd really consider something much larger than my old EX35 or a Macan for a family DD. Anything larger is for when you have (multiple) teenagers or something maybe.

otapnam

Yeah, the Macan is small. Space is more like a golf GTI than an SUV. Pretty sure the rear passengers in an i3 have more room than the Macan.

Also, PM me the VIN on the 5 series. I'll run it for you when I get back to work tomorrow.

It's my day off and I'm at the dentist right now spending it getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Fuck me. Lol

PM'd! hope you survive the treatment man! appreciate the offer :D

What's the tuning scene like for base 911's Carrera? Anyone know? Anyway to squeeze a few extra dozen HP and some extra torque out of them?

For the NA ones, exhaust and a chip, that's it. The factory headers are far from ideal so there's power to be made there, and I guess a chip for a little extra, but really you're not going to be seeing much difference without spending big bucks. The kind of big bucks where you should have bought an S or GT3 instead.

You're talking about a 10% power bump at best with this stuff, so it's really more about noise than it is about making any more power.

mkenyon

Banned
For the NA ones, exhaust and a chip, that's it. The factory headers are far from ideal so there's power to be made there, and I guess a chip for a little extra, but really you're not going to be seeing much difference without spending big bucks. The kind of big bucks where you should have bought an S or GT3 instead.

You're talking about a 10% power bump at best with this stuff, so it's really more about noise than it is about making any more power.
I'd imagine they're referring to the new base model (turbo).

http://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-carrera-development-turbos-for-all/

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
GLA, yeah.

Really though, do you need much rear leg room with a kid? As long as the car seat fits behind both front seats, you're pretty much golden. With a car seat in the rear, it's not like you're going to be lugging around a couple as well.

Matt Farah went from LA -> Mammoth in one, 4 people, 4 pairs of skis and boots, and said it was perfect for the trip. *shrug*

I mean, if I didnt have a trailer, I don't think I'd really consider something much larger than my old EX35 or a Macan for a family DD. Anything larger is for when you have (multiple) teenagers or something maybe.

Yes. I definitely need the room. I have a lot of friends and family that visit, or friends and family that are passengers in general. My Jag XF has just the right amount of legroom, especially with me as a tall driver that has to keep the seat further back. My in-laws frequently go to places with us, as well, and my father-in-law is also as tall as I am. So we need the headroom and legroom. Having something as small as the Macan is simply out of the question for my situation.

MBR

Banned
Since my little brother totaled my GF's comfy Lancer '05 on christmas eve after some festivities, me and him have replaced it with a '10 Mitsubishi Colt ClearTec.

The Lancer is stripped of any valuables worth our time and scrapped (Not much aside from personal details).
All is good, but we're wondering about the possibility to transplant the gearshift knob from the Lancer to the Colt as a memento. The Lancer knob came right off as expected by a hard anti-clockwise turn, but the same move on the Colt has resulted in confusion for me. The ugly Colt knob just spins in place, clicking back into a somewhat solid state every quarter turn with no indication of it coming loose.

Google doesn't know anything, so this is my last hope before turning back to the salesman's recommended mech I guess.

Anyone have an idea how to replace a '08+ Mitsubishi Colt gearshift knob? Pictures won't do much I'm afraid, there's no screws on the stick or anything of the sort.

SliChillax

All this Macan talk got me interested so I looked at the prices of slightly used GTS and oh my fucking god these go for like 80,000 euros!! That's too much for a small size "suv". I'd rather get an F-Pace S which is roomier, around 20k cheaper, handles great and looks better imo. Yeah the Macan might be sportier but why buys small suv's for sportiness? Also the F-Pace feels like a rwd car due to putting 70% of its power in the rear wheels.

matmanx1

Yeah the Macan is pricey. I configured one with the performance options I would want and not much else and it was still over $70k US. Of course, I could say the same about all Porsche vehicles, really, they are all expensive in my thinking.

That being said, now that I have wrung the snot out of one on the track (and had my instructor drive a couple of hot laps with me riding shotgun) I can see why they ask the money that they do. It is supremely capable and well designed.

If I had the money and was in the market I would buy one, no question. It's still one of the most usable sports cars (sport SUV? hatchback on steroids?) I have ever been in and I really, really liked the interior and driving position.

Like some of you, I will keep it in my mind for a few years down the road. Our garage is on schedule to begin construction this year and the house should be paid off early next year. Once that happens the monthly budget is going to look a lot more favorable.

Last Gen 5 series was a big let down as well. :(

It's their worst offering yet it is still a fucking amazing car.

It's just not a family wagon. The Cayenne is, though. So get one of those.

Really though, do you need much rear leg room with a kid?

Car seats.

They're massive.

Definitely referring to the NA, and yeah, that's what I figured, probably best to just get the S.

No need to wring any more torque out of the new turbo!

matmanx1

Honestly the best way to think about the Macan is just to understand that it is Porsche's version of a WRX or Golf R but with better technology and capability all the way around.

The "SUV" moniker helps it sale to those folks who want the "Porsche" badge on their crossover (and this is pretty brilliant on their part) but it drives absolutely nothing like any crossover that I have ever been in.

In Sport + mode it hunkers down (the ride height lowers waaaay down) and the torque split on the AWD system can (according to the display in the instrument cluster) send 80% of the power to the rear wheels and distribute it from left to right as well (on vehicles with PTV+). My understanding is that the AWD system on the Macan is the same as on the Carrera 4 and is inherently RWD biased.

And then you've got the snappy PDK, the great twin turbo V6 and the ridiculous body control the likes of which can be found on no other SUV or crossover anywhere.

Here on GAF we may be overly critical ("who wants a sporty SUV??") but don't let the marketing people fool you. The Macan GTS is not a sporty SUV and is much closer to a really premium WRX or Golf R than any crossover out there.

Azzurri

Needed a work truck so I picked this beauty up

2017 GMC Canyon Denali loaded. I own an Audi RS5, but honestly it really isn't conducive to the type of business I'm in (Commercial Construction). I didn't buy it, just leased it. Was like $2500 due at lease including fees and what not, added a tire care package because being on a job site it's easy to get nails in your tiers. 12k miles a year too.

Thing I like about American cars is that they give you a shit load of incentives. When I bought my RS5 they're like nah it is what it is, audi doesn't give much in that respect.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali loaded. I own an Audi RS5, but honestly it really isn't conducive to the type of business I'm in (Commercial Construction). I didn't buy it, just leased it. Was like $2500 due at lease including fees and what not, added a tire care package because being on a job site it's easy to get nails in your tiers. 12k miles a year too.

Thing I like about American cars is that they give you a shit load of incentives. When I bought my RS5 they're like nah it is what it is, audi doesn't give much in that respect.

I get Tire and Wheel Care regardless. Got it on my Prius and the Mercs. Gotten my money's worth already. Prius had three nails within 4 months of purchase. Mercs dented a rim first month of owning it due to construction debris.

The "SUV" moniker helps it sale to those folks who want the "Porsche" badge on their crossover (and this is pretty brilliant on their part) but it drives absolutely nothing like any crossover that I have ever been in.

It's the same as every "SUV" in the USA. It's not an SUV, it's just a hatchback or a station wagon with extra plastic bits and raised up an inch higher and called an "SUV" or worse called an "SAV" because Americans are dumb and will buy a station wagon if you don't call it a station wagon.

Azzurri

I get Tire and Wheel Care regardless. Got it on my Prius and the Mercs. Gotten my money's worth already. Prius had three nails within 4 months of purchase. Mercs dented a rim first month of owning it due to construction debris.

It's the same as every "SUV" in the USA. It's not an SUV, it's just a hatchback or a station wagon with extra plastic bits and raised up an inch higher and called an "SUV" or worse called an "SAV" because Americans are dumb and will buy a station wagon if you don't call it a station wagon.

Yea, I have it on my RS5 I've already had 3 nails, had to fully replace 2 tires and fix 1. Just for one tier on my car is $300+ w/o the labor cost. Would have cost me around $500+ per tire to replace

mkenyon

Banned
Those Canyons (and Colorados) look great. They're even better in person, the proportions just look right.

I wanted to get the Colorado Diesel so bad, but after learning about payload and tongue weight, had to cross it off my list :(

Azzurri

Those Canyons (and Colorados) look great. They're even better in person, the proportions just look right.

I wanted to get the Colorado Diesel so bad, but after learning about payload and tongue weight, had to cross it off my list :(

Yea, they really do. I like the Sierra 1500 HD, but this had a much better price and not as big.

Top Bottom