• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Immediate turbo like torque but without any lag what so ever? Or immediate high rev torque without having to climb the curve? Fantastic.

Can't say fantastic about the rest of the car though.

Just...Instant torque and acceleration.

But yeah, the fit and finish is not remotely close to other cars in that price range. Forget an S class, I don't think it even holds a candle to a Lexus LS.

mkenyon

Banned
😢
Yeah yeah, I know. It's fitting for his lifestyle though. M2/3/4/5 is basically undrivable for 4 months out of the year here. If not for the weather, then for avoiding the red rock/sand that litters the road (for traction) and destroys paint. Only reason I've taken my M5 out in recent months is because the front end is already quite beat up, and I'm planning on having it wrapped or repainted.

Gonna try to get him to at least give the Macan and F-Pace a shot first, but when you're 65 and familiar with a car's ecosystem, it's hard to change :p

ascii42

This seems incredibly stupid to me. Not like anyone is going to use it as a race car like the BAC Mono.

It's an inheritantly heavy platform at 4,500lbs. Losing the seats is a huge inconvenience for marginal performance gain, especially considering the crazy amount of power it has.

Based on this response from Chrysler, the other seats are optional:
Responding to your question – in standard trim, the Demon will come with front passenger and rear seats removed.

I think the single seat version is basically for halo vehicle purposes.

Evo X

First day at Porsche went great! Everyone is super nice and boss is cool as hell. Mostly paperwork, setting up accounts and computer training today, but I was still smiling since there's a 911R parked in the showroom literally 2 feet outside my office.

Boss is trying to get me to fly to Porsche Experience Center ASAP for the on track training. Most likely going to Atlanta as that is their larger main facility.

PTS GT4 RS? ;)

Lol, if they make that it's gonna be 2 years out and super rare. I don't even know if I can get myself an allocation

Congrats, genuinely.
Sorry about being a dick to you a while back.

(in other news i'm back home to Japan!, amazing how much you can miss a vehicle)

Thanks. It's all good. I'm not one to hold grudges.

The seats are optional though

Ah ok, that's good. So it's just a marketing stunt that no one's actually going to spec.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What was your mom's reaction... you know, that it was a porsche thing and not something really high end like ferrari?

Jk, late congrats

matmanx1

First day at Porsche went great! Everyone is super nice and boss is cool as hell. Mostly paperwork, setting up accounts and computer training today, but I was still smiling since there's a 911R parked in the showroom literally 2 feet outside my office.

Boss is trying to get me to fly to Porsche Experience Center ASAP for the on track training. Most likely going to Atlanta as that is their larger main facility.

Lol, if they make that it's gonna be 2 years out and super rare. I don't even know if I can get myself an allocation

Ah ok, that's good. So it's just a marketing stunt that no one's actually going to spec.

Congrats, Evo, sounds like it is going to be a cool job. I'll be at the Atlanta experience center Saturday for my drive so I'll scope the place out for you. ;-)

Cowie

Joining in on the congrats, I'm mad jealous.

Saw the new Panamera at the washington auto show on Monday, it's a thing of beauty. It looks like how the car should have always been, and I say this as someone who liked the old look.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I thought you just pay the remainder? Isnt the amount you pay for the lease usually just whatever the depreciation was , Would another similar used FRS really be cheaper?

Also every FRS has crickets even new ones. Its just part of the car at this point especially if you live in CA with its fuel.

Lease depreciation is estimated. I'll give you an example: many years ago my father decided to buy a car out of its lease. The lease buy out was 17K. The car was worth no more than 14k-15K with the same mileage and all.

You'll need to do research on the markets to see if your FRS, with the same package and mileage and condition is worth less or more than your lease buy out, to determine if it's a good move or not. And remember, lease buy outs are non-negotiable.

Start with Auto Trader.

Evo X

What was your mom's reaction... you know, that it was a porsche thing and not something really high end like ferrari?

Jk, late congrats

Lol, I'm never gonna live that down huh?

Congrats, Evo, sounds like it is going to be a cool job. I'll be at the Atlanta experience center Saturday for my drive so I'll scope the place out for you. ;-)

Looking forward to it! I've never been, so you can let be know what to expect.

Joining in on the congrats, I'm mad jealous.

Saw the new Panamera at the washington auto show on Monday, it's a thing of beauty. It looks like how the car should have always been, and I say this as someone who liked the old look.

Thanks man.

Yeah, the new Panamera is gorgeous. It's already sold out here until summer.

Maybe I'll try to cop one when the hype dies down and it becomes available on the employee lease program.

kharma45

Someone in work has bought a red Countach with only 7000 miles on it. Doubt they'll ever bring it to the office. Be incredible to see one. I hadn't realised how expensive they were at this point.

Ok guys, I'm in the market for a 2015-2016 Hyundai Genesis. Preferably AWD because Michigan winters.

I like this one. I would prefer to pay $28k out the door, as that would reduce my payments to $400/mo. Unfortunately, I only want to spend $2500 down payment. That gets me to $29,293. (Perhaps I should do my taxes this weekend to see if I can do more.)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690750042/overview/

Now in my "price range" there is this newer model with FIVE TIMES the mileage.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/687965595/overview/

My limit to mileage is 30k, and that's WAY over.

I decided to go with luxury because I have kids and want to buy something they'll grow into without going the SUV route. The minivan is sufficient for that, but I could use a commuter.

I test drove the Sonata and while it's an upgrade from the Camry, it's still not a Genesis, which I think is worth a little extra (do Sonatas even come in AWD???).

matmanx1

That pisses me off. Why hasn't the car been driven? How do you buy a car like that and resist the temptation to drive the shit out of it??

I know what you mean but supposedly those are an absolute bear to drive with crazy heavy steering, throttle, clutch, etc. Did you see that episode of Harry's Garage where he took his out? He basically said you have to prepare and make up your mind that you are going to drive it on a certain day because it's a very demanding automobile.

Episode in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZuZBZyV6Eg

SliChillax

I know what you mean but supposedly those are an absolute bear to drive with crazy heavy steering, throttle, clutch, etc. Did you see that episode of Harry's Garage where he took his out? He basically said you have to prepare and make up your mind that you are going to drive it on a certain day because it's a very demanding automobile.

Episode in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZuZBZyV6Eg
I've seen the episode and I know the Countach ain't no Rolls Royce but 7,000 miles in 3-4 decades (depending on the production model) is just absurd.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Question for OCD Gaf: I got my car back from the body shop after getting a dent/chip in the rear quarter panel repaired. Just today I noticed this in the paint:
fullsizerender70lw4.jpg

It looks like they messed up the paint job a bit. It kind of bugs me. Worth making a fuss over, or will they just laugh me out of the building?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Question for OCD Gaf: I got my car back from the body shop after getting a dent/chip in the rear quarter panel repaired. Just today I noticed this in the paint:

It looks like they messed up the paint job a bit. It kind of bugs me. Worth making a fuss over, or will they just laugh me out of the building?

They need to wetsand that area a bit more and compound it again to buff it clean.

Pinewood

I've seen the episode and I know the Countach ain't no Rolls Royce but 7,000 miles in 3-4 decades (depending on the production model) is just absurd.
Seems like a "take it out twice in the year" car, esp considering the price now I would guess the owners would have stables with ample cars to choose from.

Cars like that are investments.

They aren't meant to be driven. At least not when a new set of valves costs 40k.

Yep.

Me and Evo X were just chatting about cars like that here in the thread a few weeks ago.

That's one of the problems I have with these super clean/low mileage cars... they clearly were bought as investments instead of driving.

Shoot if I had that kind of cash, I'd probably be weary of buying one coz it could potentially have barn find status where maintenance wasn't done over the years. Like yeah it's rust free, super clean and everything from the outside, but internally, you better have a mechanic properly go over it with a fine-tooth comb. Who knows what state the hoses, fluids, whatever else are in.

Ash_69

Can someone explain car financing to me!? I'm going to test drive my potential new car tomorrow and on email, the price I've been given under the finance deals is cheaper than cash. Dafuck. Is there any logic to this or is it pure bollocks?

Anybody got any good bargaining strategies?

Can someone explain car financing to me!? I'm going to test drive my potential new car tomorrow and on email, the price I've been given under the finance deals is cheaper than cash. Dafuck. Is there any logic to this or is it pure bollocks?

That's how it works nowadays. The dealers get a percentage of your interest payments via deals they work out with the financiers so they give you discounts for financing vs cash payment. (My dealer gave me almost $750 off for financing through them).

What % are they offering you for the loan. You can bargain on that a little if you have an alternative loan source (like your credit union) as leverage.

You can separately bargain on the selling price too by looking online for how much other people paid.

If you really want to pay cash, take the finance offer, make payments for a couple of months, then pay off the loan.

Bring somebody along with you who kinda has an idea of your finances instead of going by yourself. It's also a lot easier to stop and think when you've got another person to talk to instead of the sales/finance manager.

Also, if you think something doesn't feel right, feel free to walk away. You have no obligation to stick around and entertain the sales guy.

SliChillax

Yep.

Me and Evo X were just chatting about cars like that here in the thread a few weeks ago.

That's one of the problems I have with these super clean/low mileage cars... they clearly were bought as investments instead of driving.

Shoot if I had that kind of cash, I'd probably be weary of buying one coz it could potentially have barn find status where maintenance wasn't done over the years. Like yeah it's rust free, super clean and everything from the outside, but internally, you better have a mechanic properly go over it with a fine-tooth comb. Who knows what state the hoses, fluids, whatever else are in.

Exactly, I don't understand the deal with these low mileage old cars. I'd rather buy one that has been driven properly than a garage queen.

mkenyon

Banned
Exactly, I don't understand the deal with these low mileage old cars. I'd rather buy one that has been driven properly than a garage queen.
There's all kinds of automotive enthusiasts, a lot of them aren't huge on the driving part of it. I mean, look at the Stance community, they make their cars drive worse for the sake of aesthetics.

Some people just like having the car and looking at it as a piece of history, or prestige, or investment, without any real desire to drive it. Takes all types.

v1lla21

Started driving conservatively and I'm hitting 30-31mpg on my commute. Lol I'm so happy.

I'd never buy a car just to keep em for show or as an investment. I like driving too much to ever do something like that. Plus I'm the type of dude that keeps a car until it dies on me.

Goddamn maybe I should start putting my expendable incoming into a stock that wont fail like netflix so I can afford that 100 mile LTW.

No Love

Banned
My M5 just hit 175k miles. Put 23k miles on it since May. Just did all the spark plugs and coil packs along with both valve covers.

I redline it daily and drive it way harder than anyone in this thread drives their car. Guarantee it. That's what these cars are meant for. Not some pussy that can't drive.

SliChillax

My M5 just hit 175k miles. Put 23k miles on it since May. Just did all the spark plugs and coil packs along with both valve covers.

I redline it daily and drive it way harder than anyone in this thread drives their car. Guarantee it. That's what these cars are meant for. Not some pussy that can't drive.

My best friend had an E39 M5, he bought it so cheap he didn't bother taking care of it but the drivetrain was top notch. We thrashed the car every day, no mercy at all and I drove it more than he did haha. He then sold it when it became too expensive to fix :(

wow you sound like an asshole. the asshole BMW owner everyone loves to hate.

No Love

Banned
wow you sound like an asshole. the asshole BMW owner everyone loves to hate.

Yeah I'm totally an asshole for pushing my car hard on empty roads and enjoying myself.

Drove through the mountains to Ramona yesterday and had lots of wide open curvy road to eat up. Fuck me for not driving it like a Camry, right? 😉

boltz

Dawn, that's a lot of miles to put on a car like that. But it sounds like you are enjoying every bit of it :p

next thursday:

and fresh as well:

Nice; does Ford even sell the 4dr version of the FiST there? I don't think I've seen a Euro 4dr FiST.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this.

My passenger side windshield is not working properly, and I'm trying to figure out what to do to fix it. On a morning of heavy snow/ice putting on the windshield wipers jammed it up and after that it barely started moving. The driver's side wiper works fine, but the passenger side hardly moves up at all.

I don't believe it can be the motor because they both move. I tried replacing the fuse but that didn't do anything. I tried tightening the pivot nut which did not seem loose but that did not doing anything.

I'll most likely take it to a mechanic tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Evo X

Drove a Panamera Turbo home today.

#workperks

Management is pretty happy with me because I sold an S550 coupe my second day of work without any formal training. My Porsche Academy account hasn't even been activated yet. Guess all those years of reading car magazines, posting on forums and and watching YouTube videos paid off. Lol

Guy who bought it was impressed with my car knowledge and honesty. I told him I've been n the other side of the table so many times, I know what people love and hate about the process. Doing whatever I can to improve it and make it enjoyable instead of stressful.

Only redlining on a daily basis? Weak.

Seriously.

Redlining every day is actually a good thing for your car, cleans up the carbons and other gunk that can get stuck inside.

There's all kinds of automotive enthusiasts, a lot of them aren't huge on the driving part of it. I mean, look at the Stance community, they make their cars drive worse for the sake of aesthetics.

Some people just like having the car and looking at it as a piece of history, or prestige, or investment, without any real desire to drive it. Takes all types.

But at least Stance guys annoyingly drive their cars.

Gotta agree with No Love here, those collector people are just pussies with no real desire to be more than anything but a face of money.

Ok guys, I'm in the market for a 2015-2016 Hyundai Genesis. Preferably AWD because Michigan winters.

I like this one. I would prefer to pay $28k out the door, as that would reduce my payments to $400/mo. Unfortunately, I only want to spend $2500 down payment. That gets me to $29,293. (Perhaps I should do my taxes this weekend to see if I can do more.)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690750042/overview/

Now in my "price range" there is this newer model with FIVE TIMES the mileage.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/687965595/overview/

My limit to mileage is 30k, and that's WAY over.

I decided to go with luxury because I have kids and want to buy something they'll grow into without going the SUV route. The minivan is sufficient for that, but I could use a commuter.

I test drove the Sonata and while it's an upgrade from the Camry, it's still not a Genesis, which I think is worth a little extra (do Sonatas even come in AWD???).

What is the best website to search for cars? I can't seem to pull up "1st option" vehicle even though I linked to it earlier. The car is still for sale, yet the search options are not pinging it. Strange.

I know there's another at an Acura dealer that I saw once, and can't get it to reappear again. I have the invoice and everything.

mkenyon

Banned
Drove a Panamera Turbo home today.

#workperks

Management is pretty happy with me because I sold an S550 coupe my second day of work without any formal training. My Porsche Academy account hasn't even been activated yet. Guess all those years of reading car magazines, posting on forums and and watching YouTube videos paid off. Lol

Guy who bought it was impressed with my car knowledge and honesty. I told him I've been n the other side of the table so many times, I know what people love and hate about the process. Doing whatever I can to improve it and make it enjoyable instead of stressful.
Nice work!

How's the Panamera? And more importantly, is it the definitive luxo barge?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice; does Ford even sell the 4dr version of the FiST there? I don't think I've seen a Euro 4dr FiST.
Not until recently,they started selling the five door verion in october. The 3door version looks better imho.

FiST! Congrats! You are going to have a ball in that thing. They are extremely fun to drive.
Thank you.Production of the current series ends end of march, so I had to grab one now.

Top Bottom