• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I've already told my fiancé whenever we have my son, future $300 million ambidextrous MLB pitcher, that they gonna be riding in this

2014-infiniti-qx80_100450977_l.jpg

Give no fucks! If they get in an accident I need them to easily walk away. This big motherfucker gives them a good chance lol
The rear reminds me of a storm trooper.

ascii42

I went to the Atlanta Auto show today.

Drove the following cars: Cadillac ELR, CTS V-Sport, Chevy Impala, Buick Regal GS, Mazda3, VW GTI, Passat TDI, Dodge Dart.

Favorite overall was the CTS V-Sport. Not that it had a lot of competition. Outside of the ELR, it was about twice as expensive and significantly more powerful than anything else I drove. Favorite as far as cars I could realistically purchase was the Impala. If I were in the market for a new car, I'd probably be looking at that, unless I decided I wanted a small hatchback. Then I'd probably go for the Mazda3. Fun little car.

They also had this thing where you rode in a Jeep (I think they had a Wrangler, Liberty, and Grand Cherokee) and the driver took it through an obstacle course that demonstrated its capabilities. Kind of lame that we couldn't drive it through that, but probably for the best. All it takes is one idiot to screw it up.

Drove the following cars: Cadillac ELR, CTS V-Sport, Chevy Impala, Buick Regal GS, Mazda3, VW GTI, Passat TDI, Dodge Dart.

Favorite overall was the CTS V-Sport. Not that it had a lot of competition. Outside of the ELR, it was about twice as expensive and significantly more powerful than anything else I drove. Favorite as far as cars I could realistically purchase was the Impala. If I were in the market for a new car, I'd probably be looking at that, unless I decided I wanted a small hatchback. Then I'd probably go for the Mazda3. Fun little car.

They also had this thing where you rode in a Jeep (I think they had a Wrangler, Liberty, and Grand Cherokee) and the driver took it through an obstacle course that demonstrated its capabilities. Kind of lame that we couldn't drive it through that, but probably for the best. All it takes is one idiot to screw it up.
We're scion not doing it this year? Last year they has the fr-s for test drive.

I wish subbie would give a shit. Sti was just on a pedestal and they didn't even bring the 15 wrx. The guy there looks like he didn't want to be there lol.

ascii42

We're scion not doing it this year? Last year they has the fr-s for test drive.

I wish subbie would give a shit. Sti was just on a pedestal and they didn't even bring the 15 wrx. The guy there looks like he didn't want to be there lol.

I think they were. I didn't see where it was. I had already test driven the FR-S last year, though, so I didn't really look. The Mazdas were located where the Scions were last year.

Agreed on Subaru. I also wonder why Ford doesn't bring cars for test drives.

Enron

Banned

I went yesterday. We wanted to do the Jeep thing but everyone was exhausted by the end.

I enjoyed getting to see the Nismo GT-R and the Mclaren fax machine.

13525653794_d3ed0d21be_c.jpg

I think they were. I didn't see where it was. I had already test driven the FR-S last year, though, so I didn't really look. The Mazdas were located where the Scions were last year.

Agreed on Subaru. I also wonder why Ford doesn't bring cars for test drives.
I feel like they did before.

Really would love to see what a turbo mustang feels like.... But the test road was a bore last year. Same route this year?

Being stuck in traffic is a lame but realistic test drive lol.

ascii42

I feel like they did before.

Really would love to see what a turbo mustang feels like.... But the test road was a bore last year. Same route this year?

Being stuck in traffic is a lame but realistic test drive lol.

Traffic wasn't bad. I heard traffic and weather were awful the day before, though. The routes were slightly different from last year, but most still took us to that one back road where we could floor it. Mazda was the exception, the route was pretty lame for that.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The F56 Mini Hatch should be coming in to US dealers now, call and inquire guys.

People who took test drives claim that the 3-cylinder Cooper is just as good, if not better, than the 4-cylinder Cooper S. Seems like the new BMW engines are worth it.

(It better be, the three-pot is also the gas generator in the BMW i8 hybrid sports car.)

dmag1223

Bought my 2014 Mazda6 Touring today. This car is so good looking, especially compared to the Camry or Accord imo. Love the way it handles, but I wish it had just a little more oomph, just because I'm greedy. Everything else about it seems to be top quality.

Smokey

I'm pretty sure the 6 series gran Coupe and by extension the m6 gc has to be the best looking car BMW makes right?

Some prick with a new black one decided to park next to me at work. Stunt city all over my car loool

Might have to add that to the list of potentials if I don't go the performance route.

coldfoot

Banned
I'm pretty sure the 6 series gran Coupe and by extension the m6 gc has to be the best looking car BMW makes right?

Some prick with a new black one decided to park next to me at work. Stunt city all over my car loool

Might have to add that to the list of potentials if I don't go the performance route.

Nah, M4 looks better.

mkenyon

Banned

I'm actually not too huge on the 6 styling, never have been. The whole front end looks funky to me.

Finally decided to get rid of the '13 ZL1 and get something new. After test driving everything I could get my hands on, went with this, and so far I'm having an absolute blast! It's not nearly as fast the ZL1, in a straight line anyway, but holy fuck is it fun to sling around curves. Gonna drive it for a year or so and get a Z06 Stingray when they're widely available.

kXUfjow.jpg

I had the 09 version from Aug 2008- 2011.

Had lots of fun.

The auto start/stop feature in new cars is crazy.

I was on a stop light next to some brand new Chevy. Whole thing was totally quiet but when his light turned green I heard the starter kick in and he was moving almost immediately.

First time I've seen the feature work and it kinda blew my mind lol.

bcl0328

I was on a stop light next to some brand new Chevy. Whole thing was totally quiet but when his light turned green I heard the starter kick in and he was moving almost immediately.

i always turn mine off. yes it does turn on quick but i like to keep my engine running. plus, how much extra wear is it putting on the starter? i don't want to find out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

It's a terrible feature that most people typically disable. I hated on every car I drove

Smokey

Agree 100%. One of the first things I turn off. The jolt when you get ready to move is annoying as shit.

rokkerkory

BMWUSA configurator for new M3/M4 is up!

I specc'd out an M4 kinda similar to my E92 M3 and the difference in MSRP was 9k. Yikes.

Ty4on

It's become standard on a lot of cars in Europe because it saves some fuel in official figures and reducing CO2 emissions can cause big tax breaks. It took some time to implement on regular automatics because you lose oil pressure when the engine is shut down meaning the car wouldn't be ready right away. On a manual you have to engage neutral and take your foot off the clutch for it to kick in so you have more control.

It needs some logic like keeping the AC compressor going if the cabin is hot. I've tried a couple of VWs that were very quick to start the engine if the brakes were pumped, you tried to steer or if the car started to roll and once that happened it refused to stop the engine again.
It was a different experience in a PSA micro hybrid I tried recently. The hybrid stuff is just an oversized starter motor giving a small boost (barely marketed as a hybrid). It also kept the power steering working and possibly the brake pressure up as well when the engine shut down. It was an automatic (automated manual, interesting, but crappy) so much quicker to engage, but I could also keep the engine shut and coast if I put it in neutral.
The downside was it was too eager to activate and the switch to deactivate would reset on every trip. When I say too eager I mean shutting a cold engine down when the heater was on...

Still a neat feature in city traffic IMO. Idling usually don't do much more than burn fuel and some wear and for prolonged time probably not good for the engine causing soot buildup in some modern diesels.

TCRS

Banned
yep... 74k here too. Too much for M4 imo

wut. base price in Germany: €72k = $99k

we're getting ripped off here so that you can enjoy your cheap M4s :/ here in Germany they also charge you for every shit. standard equipment in USA/UK is often much much better.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
so... no real reason to not just get the base model. I'm pretty meh with my brz limited, although keyless entry/start is the bees knees.

Does subbie ever add like a sedan/5door option midcycle or is there zero chance of a 5 door wrx until the next gen?
No idea on a hatch, but the STi uses the same engine as the previous generation model. The base WRX has a totally new engine.

Malvingt2

I finally sealed a deal for a car.

I got a SUV that it was not in my radar. Honda CRV LX 2005 with 52,277 mileage. It in great condition and it is going to save me a lot on Gas.

Malvingt2

What a fucking sack of shit. I wouldn't get anywhere near those tracks with CHILDREN in my car. My God. I'm so livid right now. Thank God they were okay (the kids). And I hope they are taken away from such a dumbass parent.

wth was the driver thinking? like seriously. What a damn dumb move.

ruxtpin

Banned
What are others thoughts here on top speed limiters? See the new m4 is going to be limited to 155. I know it's a different car than the Porsche GTS, but I see the Porsche with no limiter and I'm like... Well...

I know I'll never go over that limit unless I'm on a track, but even then I feel like I'm not getting all I paid for (or would pay for).

New Jag F-Type commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqaFu2maDg

Tom Hiddleston is the baddest motherfucker alive.

They should've made him race the 911 instead of that silly shit in the garage.

Also, I don't remember who said it, but someone made a comment after the Super Bowl about "The villain may be cool in his Jag, but that's usually when James Bond shows up in the Aston Martin and embarrasses him." That point has pretty much ruined the stupid "villain" theme.

I liked the super nationalist Rule Britannia stuff a LOT more tbh, I wish it had just been a juxtaposition of the car and the country.

P.S. God fucking damnit that car is literally boner-inducing.

Top Bottom