• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Aww what happened to FWD?

Snow tires are the answer.

I'm in Texas and I've got summer tires year round, so I can't really tell you about snow driving that much. But from what I've seen from reviews and other users on Miata.net they say that they'd rather drive a Miata with proper snow tires than a FWD car on all-seasons.

Ah, fuck that noise. I'm not getting snow tires for that.

I need a car now too, sort of want to wait for the redesign which looks to be soon.

Aww what happened to FWD?

Snow tires are the answer.

I'm in Texas and I've got summer tires year round, so I can't really tell you about snow driving that much. But from what I've seen from reviews and other users on Miata.net they say that they'd rather drive a Miata with proper snow tires than a FWD car on all-seasons.

I think he got carried away in a racially charged thread.

Smokey

2014 M4 Convertible

XCalSZX.jpg

Looks SO much better than my current E93. Same color as my current car too. More pics

P90144797_highRes.jpg

P90144828_highRes.jpg

attachment.php

;_;

There are some questions humanity will never have an answer to.

1) Why do people park really close to you (and sometimes with their wheels in your spot) even when you find a corner space and leave a large gap?

2) Why do SUVs go 5mph over the limit in dry conditions and 15mph over the limit when it is raining?

3) Why the fuck is gas at $4.35?

I wonder if that means the Barracuda is off the table again.

Also, tinfoil hat time:

Anyone else think that GM's recent recall woes were thrown into Barra's lap on purpose or were at least sat on until a replacement was found who would take the blame per some plan?

asdad123

Picked up my new car yesterday.

2014 Grand Cherokee with Luxury Package. I was worried due to the problems they were having earlier in production, but mine was a factory order and has a build date of late March and has no defects that I could see (earlier builds had reports of panels being out of place and so far drives like a dream. Loving it

Kambing

WOW.

A BMW dealer i inquired about the M4 got back to me today. There is apparently only 1 allocation left, which could be mine of course, but are charging freaking $5000 over MSRP... Cot damn son. Yeah... no.

I purchased my first bimmer from the dealer, but don't think i will be back to shop there anytime soon. Bay area in case anyone was wondering.

asdad123

Grats! I really like the design of the new GC.

Thanks. I really wanted the HIDs/LED DRLs so I opted for the luxury package for an extra $4000.

Yeah I got a panoramic sunroof, nappa valley leather, a larger screen but it was a tough $4000 to swallow.
I really wanted those headlights.

zbeeb

So Land Rover's done something kinda cool:

Land Rover is showcasing a new concept that would give drivers a better view of the road through augmented reality. The Transparent Bonnet Concept utilizes cameras mounted in the car's grille to capture a view of the road that's usually obscured by the hood. This data is then fed to a heads-up display that shows the video in real-time at the bottom of the windscreen, overlaying where a driver sees their car's bonnet and effectively giving the impression that it — and the engine — are transparent.

sauce

I can only imagine that the chances of those cameras getting damaged while 4wding is quite high

Is there any experience that is worse than buying a car? They guard any information that you could use to make an informed decision worse than the fucking CIA. Its literally physically painful dealing with their bullshit. Asking for a price or even if a car is fucking in stock is met with "I don't know! You should just come down and talk to someone!". Why the fuck would I waste gas to drive and find out you don't have it? Is this real life? I've tried 3 dealers now, they all suck dick, I was hoping one would set at least a slightly higher bar than doing nothing but alas...

Smokey

Is there any experience that is worse than buying a car? They guard any information that you could use to make an informed decision worse than the fucking CIA. Its literally physically painful dealing with their bullshit. Asking for a price or even if a car is fucking in stock is met with "I don't know! You should just come down and talk to someone!". Why the fuck would I waste gas to drive and find out you don't have it? Is this real life? I've tried 3 dealers now, they all suck dick, I was hoping one would set at least a slightly higher bar than doing nothing but alas...

Check dealer website for their stock?

What are you trying to buy?

What are you trying to buy?

Currently Mazda 3 I grand touring.

Check dealer website for their stock?
It hasn't shown stock for past two weeks but its a huge dealer and supposedly one of their quickest selling so I can't see them not getting any more in. They said they update the site at most once a week. I just don't understand why they can't tell you jackshit unless you come in. These are basic things. I can only imagine how difficult them deciding on a price is when asking if something is in stock or if they're expecting more completely co founds them like this. It also took minimum 2 days and multiple calls to even get the s pricing the other day. They seem to really want to live up to the used car stereotype. I went from excited to getting a car to looking at bicycles at this point.

Currently Mazda 3 I grand touring.

It hasn't shown stock for past two weeks but its a huge dealer and supposedly one of their quickest selling so I can't see them not getting any more in. They said they update the site at most once a week. I just don't understand why they can't tell you jackshit unless you come in. These are basic things. I can only imagine how difficult them deciding on a price is when asking if something is in stock or if they're expecting more completely co founds them like this. It also took minimum 2 days and multiple calls to even get the s pricing the other day. They seem to really want to live up to the used car stereotype. I went from excited to getting a car to looking at bicycles at this point.

The salesmen aren't paid to keep track of their inventory or pending orders, and it's unlikely they'll waste any time checking on these things for someone who isn't guaranteed to show up. Bite the bullet and go talk to these people in person. Be an informed buyer. Any "guarded information" you need to make a well-informed buying decision can be found online. Before you show up to the lot, you should know exactly what you want and what you don't. Bring a list if you have to. Don't ask the salesmen questions--they should be asking you the questions. You're there to tell them what you need.

Buying a car isn't like buying any other appliance (as that's what cars seem to be to you). You generally can't kill people by operating a refrigerator in public, for instance. The buying process is going to be a little more involved. Relax and be patient.

The salesmen aren't paid to keep track of their inventory or pending orders, and it's unlikely they'll waste any time checking on these things for someone who isn't guaranteed to show up. Bite the bullet and go talk to these people in person. Be an informed buyer. Any "guarded information" you need to make a well-informed buying decision can be found online. Before you show up to the lot, you should know exactly what you want and what you don't. Bring a list if you have to. Don't ask the salesmen questions--they should be asking you the questions. You're there to tell them what you need.

Buying a car isn't like buying any other appliance (as that's what cars seem to be to you). You generally can't kill people by operating a refrigerator in public, for instance. The buying process is going to be a little more involved. Relax and be patient.

I think you misunderstand, I know what I want and tell them and it still seems to confuse them or they get distracted and try to go into their hard sell mode. I was there for an hour and a half at the dealer closest to me and I had no more information than before but at least I had a test drive. I couldn't even get s pricing information and that's written on the god damn invoice. Its the length that they don't give a shit that bothers me. How can I be sure I want that trim if you won't even tell me the goddamn price so I can check if its in budget? I'm sorry but this is bullshit and no other seller treats you this way. I'm sorry I matter so little that you can't even do your damn job. They have a deal of doubling your down payment for in stock cars and it took 7 minutes for her to even understand my point because she was too busy repeating how close I am to them and how wonderful the sales reps are there!!!!!!!! And they can certainly help me!!!!! Wow!!!!

And I don't understand your last point. This isn't safety check like a gun or something, its just a horrible blend of greed and incompetence where they won't even acknowledge I exist until I say I refuse to leave until I buy a car. It shouldn't take 2+ days to get the no haggle employee pricing on your cars. Sorry you don't feel its worth your time. They literally try to wear you down by wasting hours of your time for nothing. 25 mins of my lunch today wasted and all I got in return was "Come on down! We have nice sales people here!". Thanks...

Edit: And no they're not paid specifically for that, they're paid to help the customer and make me buy it. Its like they never evolved from the 1950s. Refusing to give me straight answers so it can be quick, painless, and make everyone happy and instead make pitches about things I know I don't want is moronic. That's horrible salesmanship if you have an extremely excited customer and you lose the sale AND they're no longer excited about your product when they leave. Its honestly mind blowing. I've wanted this car since it was previewed over the summer, I'm now looking at other cars. How is that not a problem?

Go to a different dealership.

Don't rely on the fact that they're the closest dealership to you. Seriously, being close doesn't mean jackshit if their service is terrible.

If they're the only Mazda dealership in town, find one in the nearest town and give them a call. Tell them the shit you've experienced with this dealer and they'll drop down to their knees to get your money.

Go to a different dealership.

Don't rely on the fact that they're the closest dealership to you. Seriously, being close doesn't mean jackshit if their service is terrible.

If they're the only Mazda dealership in town, find one in the nearest town and give them a call. Tell them the shit you've experienced with this dealer and they'll drop down to their knees to get your money.

I've been talking simultaneously with 3 different dealers and they all suck. There's literally no difference. Simple questions are ignored or "they'll call me back" but never do. I'm running out of dealers. Don't want to drive over 100 miles just to buy a freaking car. Which is why I'm looking at other cars now. The ford dealer my mom went to wasn't this painful from what I remember.

I've been talking simultaneously with 3 different dealers and they all suck. There's literally no difference. Simple questions are ignored or "they'll call me back" but never do. I'm running out of dealers. Don't want to drive over 100 miles just to buy a freaking car. Which is why I'm looking at other cars now. The ford dealer my mom went to wasn't this painful from what I remember.

Damn lol. Do you happen to live in Middle of Nowhere, Montana?

Maybe it's because I live in Dallas, but I've rarely experienced a shitty dealer when I was car shopping. Almost everyone was throwing their knees on the floor begging to take my money. The only shit one I've experienced is a Scion dealer not letting me test drive a FR-S even though I clearly arrived in a Miata.

If you're still that inclined to get a Mazda though, drop a line to Mazda North America. They don't necessarily control the dealerships, but they do listen to complaints and sometimes they do take action and whatnot.

Either way, good luck on the car hunt.

Car & Driver's "25 Cars Worth Waiting For: 2015 - 2018 Edition"

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/25-cars-worth-waiting-for-20152018-feature

Four Door Corvette:
3rd Gen CTS-V
I'm really sad Caddy is getting rid of the Wreath. The Wreath + Crest is probably tied with one or two other badges as most badass in my book.

Also..M2 tagged as 2017? I have to wait until 2016 for that god damn thing? Seriously BMW? That afraid of sales cannibalization?

[AlphaSnake quotation forthcoming]

Some truck...yawn...another Predator Lexus, whatev--oh...oh...hello...

2016-mercedes-benz-gt-amg-artists-rendering-photo-585554-s-986x603.jpg

tumblr_n2asdg9mxH1t11ruzo9_500.gif

Damn lol. Do you happen to live in Middle of Nowhere, Montana?

Maybe it's because I live in Dallas, but I've rarely experienced a shitty dealer when I was car shopping. Almost everyone was throwing their knees on the floor begging to take my money. The only shit one I've experienced is a Scion dealer not letting me test drive a FR-S even though I clearly arrived in a Miata.

If you're still that inclined to get a Mazda though, drop a line to Mazda North America. They don't necessarily control the dealerships, but they do listen to complaints and sometimes they do take action and whatnot.

Either way, good luck on the car hunt.

It's somewhat rural. I just don't want to drive an hour to leave with a headache like I have so far. And yeah the indifference and me having to hound them for days to get simple responses is mind blowing. When my brother was looking hey called multiple times begging him to come back. Its so odd.

mkenyon

Banned
It could be that since the cars are moving so easily off the lot, they're just not too worried about a hopeful client over the phone. They know they can sell it whether you show up or not.

It's somewhat rural. I just don't want to drive an hour to leave with a headache like I have so far. And yeah the indifference and me having to hound them for days to get simple responses is mind blowing. When my brother was looking hey called multiple times begging him to come back. Its so odd.

An hour is nothing if it means getting a good deal on a car. I drove 2.5 hours to the middle of bumfuck nowhere with my Mom when she was buying her ML-Class because the price was just too damn good.

Was your first interaction with these dealers at the beginning of a month or something? I'm sorry I haven't followed the conversation, so excuse my ignorance, but are you looking to finance/lease/ or pay with cash? If you're going down the monthly payment route and have secured funding outside of the dealer's financing department, that could be a reason they don't give as much of a shit.

Don't expect a strong number (or any other information) from the dealers, especially over phone/email. You need find the market price by yourself. Look on truecar.com for a good price in your zip code. Join a Mazda forum and see what others paid in your area. Decide on what you want to pay for the car.

Then go to your credit union and get pre-approved for the loan. Decide how much you want to put down and how long you want to finance for. Do all of this without even talking to a dealer.

Then walk into a dealer and tell them you will pay with one cheque and ask for a yes or no answer on your desired price.

Edit: If they say they will meet your desired price if you finance through them, ask them to match your credit union's terms. Don't discuss any finance terms with them.

mkenyon

Banned
Don't expect a strong number (or any other information) from the dealers, especially over phone/email. You need find the market price by yourself. Look on truecar.com for a good price in your zip code. Join a Mazda forum and see what others paid in your area. Decide on what you want to pay for the car.

Then go to your credit union and get pre-approved for the loan. Decide how much you want to put down and how long you want to finance for. Do all of this without even talking to a dealer.

Then walk into a dealer and tell them you will pay with one cheque and ask for a yes or no answer on your desired price.
Yep, I do exactly this. Has always turned out positive.

An hour is nothing if it means getting a good deal on a car. I drove 2.5 hours to the middle of bumfuck nowhere with my Mom when she was buying her ML-Class because the price was just too damn good.

Was your first interaction with these dealers at the beginning of a month or something? I'm sorry I haven't followed the conversation, so excuse my ignorance, but are you looking to finance/lease/ or pay with cash? If you're going down the monthly payment route and have secured funding outside of the dealer's financing department, that could be a reason they don't give as much of a shit.

It's been over the past week or so the contact so yeah, but fucking seriously? You don't even respond to phone calls/emails because of it's the beginning of the month? Do you not like money or something? It's not just they don't care, I literally get no answers, absolutely nothing. And no shit if it's a good deal but I'm not driving that distance to find out they have a bad deal or suck ass. Get in my ballpark or give me some simple answers I need first and then I have no qualms visiting even if I leave with nothing but meet me halfway. You know... Like actually telling me if you even stock the fucking car I'm coming in to buy? I know it's a much finer point that has no meaning in the grand scheme of things but you pay for something you usually want the item in return. This seems confusing to these dealers thus far.

Sorry if that came off as angry, it's frustration with the dealers, not anything you said.

Edit: If they say they will meet your desired price if you finance through them, ask them to match your credit union's terms. Don't discuss any finance terms with them.

I've heard nothing but bad things about truecar and if you use them to get a price the dealers never honor it even if you have the certificate or they have an agreement with truecar... Maybe the ranges people pay but it's usually so scattered and doesn't remove old data points that it feels mostly worthless. So many at MSRP and then a good amount lower so who knows. Big swings it seems. And I want financing through them as it's cheaper than my other offers. I have low backup financing (didn't tell them this) through my employer but the mazda financing is cheaper now so I want their financing if I qualify and I should. It's not so much the price anymore. I got some to give starting quotes I was ok with, especially since I get bonus cash from my employer on top of any price, it's more the nitty gritty like if they have it in stock, specials going on, etc. The biggest is the dealer with the double downpayment but it's only good for cars in stock and it still took the sales person like 8 minutes to understand why having the car in stock would be important to me. They're too busy trying to read their sales pitch they typed up that they don't actually listen to what you have to say. In my phone conversation today she asked me minimum of 5 times what car I wanted because she couldn't remember and then a final time to see if they would be receiving more stock and I received no call today. I called at 11am today and they're open until 9pm. I'm positive they won't call again unless I call and bitch, as that's how the other two dealers have treated me. I waited 3 days for a price and only after complaining to a manager could they tell me the s plan employee price which is a no haggle price listed on the invoice. They have to show you it when signing to make sure they're not lying too and it was still too difficult for them.

ruxtpin

Banned
I've heard nothing but bad things about truecar and if you use them to get a price the dealers never honor it even if you have the certificate or they have an agreement with truecar... Maybe the ranges people pay but it's usually so scattered and doesn't remove old data points that it feels mostly worthless.

Speaking of truecar. I recently got my GLI using the USAA car buying service (which runs thru Trucar + tacks on an extra discount). I think I was almost $5,000 dollars below MSRP. Went to the local VW dealership that responded to the email, with my USAA certificate in hand and had my own loan already lined up at 1.9 APR...

Fucking slimeball salesman made this gigantic deal that I couldn't get the certificate price unless I used their own loan (which had an APR of like 5%). Tried to ease my apprehension, as I was about to back out of the sale, by telling me I could re-finance after 90 days and they would pay me back the interest I had paid during that time. Come to find out it was because they were supposed to get some kick-back from 53rd Bank if the loan went over 90 days. I re-financed after 30... Asshole isn't getting his bonus for lying straight to my face. Also told the USAA folks and they said they were going to contact the dealership to see if they wanted to still be included on the list of authorized dealers. It's not like the dealership had to do jack to get me in the door; I thought they'd have been happy that I was purchasing a car at all.

Speaking of truecar. I recently got my GLI using the USAA car buying service (which runs thru Trucar + tacks on an extra discount). I think I was almost $5,000 dollars below MSRP. Went to the local VW dealership that responded to the email, with my USAA certificate in hand and had my own loan already lined up at 1.9 APR...

Fucking slimeball salesman made this gigantic deal that I couldn't get the certificate price unless I used their own loan (which had an APR of like 5%). Tried to ease my apprehension, as I was about to back out of the sale, by telling me I could re-finance after 90 days and they would pay me back the interest I had paid during that time. Come to find out it was because they were supposed to get some kick-back from 53rd Bank if the loan went over 90 days. I re-financed after 30... Asshole isn't getting his bonus for lying straight to my face. Also told the USAA folks and they said they were going to contact the dealership to see if they wanted to still be included on the list of authorized dealers. It's not like the dealership had to do jack to get me in the door; I thought they'd have been happy that I was purchasing a car at all.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but horror stories like that. Or they only have your car with a million extras in stock so you get "that price" but you still have to tack on the extras. Most dealers seem to like it as bait but magically they never have that car or similar anywhere close to that price.

I just found a 2014 mustang MCA edition for $23k with 2k miles... Is this a good deal? I think I'm leaning hard towards the mustang now, it's the dealer my mom liked for her car and seems like a decent deal. It's a manual too... *drools*

I totally get it man. I've seen some of the inside baseball that goes on when I hung out with a family friend who is the GM of a local Hyundai dealership. The majority of the salesmen were absolute piece of shit human beings.

Yeah, it literally makes me cringe. It was bad enough helping my brother when he was looking but it feels like the salesmen are even worse now than last year when I visited places. It's frustrating because I've been waiting since june for release and reviews of the new mazda 3 and now I don't even want to look at mazdas. It's literally soured me entirely. I'm looking at another VW to replace the one I have or a Ford... And the mustangs look sexy so I'm leaning towards that, especially since the close dealer people like has a nice 2014 one.

minx

2014 Grand Cherokee with Luxury Package. I was worried due to the problems they were having earlier in production, but mine was a factory order and has a build date of late March and has no defects that I could see (earlier builds had reports of panels being out of place and so far drives like a dream. Loving it

I'm jelly. My Fusion (choice after I talked myself down from GC) should be coming in a month. I also ordered from factory.

TylerD

Congrats man. The new GC is an extremely handsome vehicle with a great presence about it. I saw a 14 black one today on black wheels and it looked mean.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

My dad has a 2011, it's been bulletproof so far after taking three major out-of-state road trips. 80K miles and counting.

I test drove a F56 Mini Cooper S today. Goddamn, that thing has power- more than enough for a hot hatch. The transmission was smooth, even though the stop-start system was too jerky for my liking. I never had a car with such a system, though. All the other gadgets in the car I drove were cool, though- it had the Mini Connected with the large nav screen, the heads-up display, and they were both cool. Best part was the exhaust note- it wasn't too buzzy, it was the right kind of tone that was pleasant on the ears. Handling lived up to expectations, the interior was roomy enough, and the switchgear was all in the right places.

That car is going to really be my next car confirmed.

My dad has a 2011, it's been bulletproof so far after taking three major out-of-state road trips. 80K miles and counting.

I test drove a F56 Mini Cooper S today. Goddamn, that thing has power- more than enough for a hot hatch. The transmission was smooth, even though the stop-start system was too jerky for my liking. I never had a car with such a system, though. All the other gadgets in the car I drove were cool, though- it had the Mini Connected with the large nav screen, the heads-up display, and they were both cool. Best part was the exhaust note- it wasn't too buzzy, it was the right kind of tone that was pleasant on the ears. Handling lived up to expectations, the interior was roomy enough, and the switchgear was all in the right places.

That car is going to really be my next car confirmed.

How was the ride quality? The last time I was in a Mini it was in my friend's 08 Cooper S and while the transmission was solid you could reeeaaaallly feel the bumps while cruising down local roads.

Malvingt2

I know how you feel. It was a bad experience for me. Specially when you are targeting more than one car. At the end believe or not a Dealer with terrible reviews here in Yonkers, NY was the one who made my experience a little bit easier and I got Honda CR-V 2005 from them with 52,277 mileage. They were very nice with me and did help me a lot. I was afraid to make a deal with them because of how bad the reviews were.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I know how you feel. It was a bad experience for me. Specially when you are targeting more than one car. At the end believe or not a Dealer with terrible reviews here in Yonkers, NY was the one who made my experience a little bit easier and I got Honda CR-V 2005 from them with 52,277 mileage. They were very nice with me and did help me a lot. I was afraid to make a deal with them because of how bad the reviews are.

A lot of the dealers ask people to write them good reviews on DealerRater...or they do it for them. 90% of the time, notice the grammar, language, spelling, etc is very similar from one review to the next.

ameratsu

I read a bunch of your posts but am not clear what you're having trouble with amid all your frustration. Are they not divulging specific pricing or car stock over the phone/email? Maybe it's worth going down and talking to someone in person.

A lot of the dealers ask people to write them good reviews on DealerRater...or they do it for them. 90% of the time, notice the grammar, language, spelling, etc is very similar from one review to the next.
Yeah, people I know have had the sales person call after the sale to bust them to put a review of 5 stars.
I read a bunch of your posts but am not clear what you're having trouble with amid all your frustration. Are they not divulging specific pricing or car stock over the phone/email? Maybe it's worth going down and talking to someone in person.
More or less ya. I can't get simple questions answered and fuck no I'm not driving there. Most places don't stock manuals. I'm not driving am hour or two for them to say "lol we don't carry that". You really consider that a viable solution? They should be able to answer simple questions, its not rocket science. I'm not wasting time haggling with people who don't even have a car.

What do people think of the blue reflex mica paint for Mazda? I finally found the car in stock but only that color and I dislike it but everyone I show it to seems to like it. They're a lot cheaper too since its in stock. Curious what people think of the color.

Top Bottom