• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really feeling this Fune wo Amu.

It's not even bad or boring (Maybe just this last episode)... I dunno, maybe it's the subject.

It's very mundane subject matter, so I can see why it wouldn't interest some people. It doesn't even have the exoticism inherent in the period setting and specialized performance tradition that Rakugo Shinjuu has.

I like it, but it isn't as good as Rakugo. Or even very close.

Aside from Tagashira's shoddy work on episode 4, it has better animation than Rakugo Shinjuu at least.

Cornbread78

The next Let’s Watch is ready to go:

Now Watching:

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Take my hand and let’s go on a trip.
O8MTZi9.gif

NeoGAF Let's Watch OT 16: Gankutsuou:The Count of Monte Cristo

pbayne

Now Watching:

NeoGAF Let's Watch OT 16: Gankutsuou:The Count of Monte Cristo

Corn how many threads do you have going atm? Clock in for overtime at this rate.
Been meaning to watch this so might actually take part.

I'm not really feeling this Fune wo Amu.

It's not even bad or boring (Maybe just this last episode)... I dunno, maybe it's the subject.

I like it so far but it can be very strange at times, not just in subject matter. Especially the last episode.

Phaze was right:

!!! I guess it was bound to happen eventually.

Szadek

Cowboy Bebop - Ep. 2
Storywise, this episode wasn't too interesting, but all the chase scenes were great.
It most interesting part of the episode of the dogs.
Wondering whether or not he is smart was pretty cool.
I also want to point out detailed the backgrounds were in like every single frame.

Mai-HiME - Ep. 2-3
Pretty neat follow up episode. The new monster was really cool.
I really like the main girls so far,too.

Shuumatsu no Izetta - Ep. 6
Decent set up episode. Not much else to say.

javac

I didn't really like A Silent Voice. I thought that it was OK. The audience seemed to love it however. Laughing whenever the fat comic relief character was onscreen even when not doing anything funny is something to be expected of anime fans however! It's all good fun I guess.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 063

Yeah I can see why Hosanna is disappointed with the depiction of Religion in this series because it fully equates the Earth Religion to being cultists. But as far as I know Japan is more spiritual then religious with old Shinto or Buddhist traditions and Buddhism is by far the most prevalent Religion. Someone said that Tanaka associated cults like Aum Shinrikyo with Religion so thats why the depiction is like this.

It wouldn't be that bad if the Earth Religion had a setup like the other three factions but really they just feel like a generic space bad guys and their leader is pretty much Palpatine. Like a cultist stabs someone in this episode and laughs like a madman. They aren't that different from the cult in Resident Evil 4 or any other generic hooded dudes.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 063

Yeah I can see why Hosanna is disappointed with the depiction of Religion in this series because it fully equates the Earth Religion to being cultists. But as far as I know Japan is more spiritual then religious with old Shinto or Buddhist traditions and Buddhism is by far the most prevalent Religion. Someone said that Tanaka associated cults like Aum Shinrikyo with Religion so thats why the depiction is like this.

It wouldn't be that bad if the Earth Religion had a setup like the other three factions but really they just feel like a generic space bad guys and their leader is pretty much Palpatine. Like a cultist stabs someone in this episode and laughs like a madman. They aren't that different from the cult in Resident Evil 4 or any other generic hooded dudes.

Yeah, the Earth Cult feel rather out of place. There's great care taken to portray every other faction with a degree of nuance and to give some sense of motivation for even the more villainous characters, but these guys are just cartoonishly evil, like they wandered off the set of some old cheesy superhero cartoon. The cult doesn't seem to actually believe in or worship anything - the vague comments regarding Mother Earth amount to practically nothing - which immediately disqualifies it as anything akin to a real-world religion. Even fringe cults usually have some set of beliefs and practices more thought out than what we see here.

Cornbread78

Gosick ep.6
Well, this went from a simple small mystery into a big one with a bunch of Victorica backstory. Quite the tough past she had and I wonder how she is going yo prove her mother's innocence years later..

Thud

Rose of Versailles 14

First thing Oscar's father does is slap her. Such fatherly love! He makes sound arguments though, it's not Oscar's place to discuss such matters. Take up your sword or something.

Polignac is a cold ass woman, however she doesn't step out of line. Takes advantage of Antoinette. Obviously a mistake in judgement from the queen.

Rosalie can't take a break. Lost her sister, lost her neighbor, lost her mom. Plots revenge, fails horribly. Luckily Oscar (who else?) is there to set her straight. Straight on the path of murder that is.

This can go only wrong. Preview already shows Antoinette gambling with tax money lol.

Cornbread78

Any recommendations for Anime in Fall season not seeing anything I'll like at first glance?

Magical Girl Raising Project (Action, adventure, drama)
Izetta the last Witch (Action, adventure)
March Comes Like a Lion (drama, SoL)
Drifters (action, gore)
Nanbaka (comedy)

Kiritobread still can't imgur correctly.

I can upload to imgur via mobil, however, it doesn't give me the posting links after, just the dirct link.

Gosick ep.6

Well, this went from a simple small mystery into a big one with a bunch of Victorica backstory. Quite the tough past she had and I wonder how she is going yo prove her mother's innocence years later..

you know man there is such a thing as an IMGUR extension for your browser of choice so you can just right click upload an image and avoid these 'no hotlinking' issues

So we've hit the mid season, or at least started it, what's everyone still holding onto at this point? What's teetering on the edge of being dropped and what will you likely carry all the way to the finish line?

Now Watching:

Aw man. Wish I had more time. I'd probably watch along with everyone seeing as I watched all the way to the end and then, for some reason, never watched the final two episodes.

Also:

Izetta: The Last Witch - Episode 6:
I've really disliked the last couple episodes. Forced boob humor that's so shoe-horned in, and the "oh look our characters have to be exceedingly dumb in order to initiate drama' has really hampered my enjoyment of the series.

Wife and I typically drop shows at the mid mark if we go past episode 1, and it's like Izetta said "oh is there a race to the bottom?"

Magical Girl Raising Project - Episode 6:
It's been slow, but we're finally getting to the bloodbath type stuff. I'm actually really enjoying the show so far. It's not as good as Madoka, but I don't think it's so much a clone as focused on a different avenue of discussing "dark magical girls." much more character and intrigue focused.

Gakuen Handsome - Episode 6:
Well, that was my final episode. It's just-- too weird and focused on lampooning the otome genre that it doesn't really over anything unique and its own. It's too 'generic' in its efforts.

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On - Episode 6:
I gave this a recommended on its first episode, but I'll probably be taking that back now. It teases really cool developments, but spends so long doing stupid 'everyday life'/pseudo character building episodes, and not very good ones at that, that I'm not even convinced it's a good kids show anymore. It's 'okay,' but I'd like to think youthful me would be a tad more discerning. Don't think I'll be sticking around even for the monster hunter lore.

Occultic;Nine - Episode 5:

So, it's kinda obvious, but I finally figured out something that really bothers me about Occultic;Nine the further I get in. Every voice actor is delivering their dialogue like you hear in much of New Doctor Who, or Saiki K, at blinding speed as if they were directed with "Talk really fast, clock is ticking." I know animation often plays faster than live action, but it ties into just how break neck Occultic;Nine is in trying to get through its content episode to episode.

Couple that with how unattached I am to any of these characters and I'm thinking Occultic is on the drop pile next week unless something crazy happens.

March Comes in like a Lion Episode 5:
Well, at least it finally got depressing. Parts felt so heavy handed though in the delivery, like the way we just had to make sure we knew how uncaring his aunt is at the funeral. I continue to be terribly mixed on the series. I guess you could at least say it's tonal shift episode to episode (chapter to chapter) is consistent with how depression can strike without warning, whenever, and hard. I don't know that I feel that makes for good week to week entertainment though to have it work like that.

Any recommendations for Anime in Fall season not seeing anything I'll like at first glance?

If you are not seeing anything at a glance that means sequels can go out the window. Then check these out:

- Fune Wo Amu (The Great Passage) - Story set around 2000, cast is of adults living their lives as they create a dictionary.
- Sangatsu no Lion (March Comes in Like a Lion) - Story of a Shogi prodigy at 17, his troubles from his past and his relationship with a family of 3 sisters.
- WWWworking!! - A spin-off of the Working!! series. It's set in the same restaurant but has a completely new cast. Basically a bunch of wackos serving food and the shenanigans while they do it. If you are looking for ships, the port is here.

So we've hit the mid season, or at least started it, what's everyone still holding onto at this point? What's teetering on the edge of being dropped and what will you likely carry all the way to the finish line?

The 3 up top, plus:

- Euphonium S2
- Haikyuu S3
- Occultic;Nine
- Gundam IBO

None of these 7 shows is in danger of getting dropped. What I had to drop, I dropped by week 3 lol.

The marketing for the live action GITS movie seems really poorly thought out.

I imagine whenever you put out a trailer for anything, you want people to talk about it, show it to their friends, but there's not much to talk about with these crumbs of a movie trailer. It's fine to want to keep some secrets, but these trailers give viewers so little. The most recent one they put out only makes me compare it to the original film, but that's not a flattering comparison for this new live action film.

The marketing for the live action GITS movie seems really poorly thought out.

I imagine whenever you put out a trailer for anything, you want people to talk about it, show it to their friends, but there's not much to talk about with these crumbs of a movie trailer. It's fine to want to keep some secrets, but these trailers give viewers so little. The most recent one they put out only makes me compare it to the original film, but that's not a flattering comparison for this new live action film.

I get exactly what you mean and totally agree. Strangely enough though I've seen people getting mega hyped over these snippets.... then again these are people who don't usually criticize anime in any way anyway.

How did you get that link... I'm still such a noob with this crap..

click on gallery

top right of image has an arrow

click it and choose 'get share links'

one of the share links already has the tags around it. Click on 'copy' and you'll have it copied. All you do is come here and CTRL V

edit: for some reason i got the arrow/link to appear the first time I clicked your image, not anymore. I uploaded something else to imgur and i'm getting it. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom