• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 13-15

So this was the "big event" which everyone takes about because one writer basically replaces the other mid-series and tries to change things as quickly as possible to salvage it from the mediocre pile of forgettable garbage it previously was. I guess it was more interesting, but the Fafner-isms are all still there. The dialogue is really bad and forced, the art is horrible when it tries to do anything substantially cool, the animation is poor for both characters and mechs. The main thing this feels like, is that someone called the staff and said "people are getting sick of this show being a ripoff of Evangelion TV, time to rip off End of Evangelion!" It's really funny.

There's an obvious attempt here to shake up the status quo asap, and a lot of it is done in a really forced and clumsy manner. It's a brute force fix for a narrative which has been slow paced and going nowhere so far, and it's really amusing to see it suddenly turn into a "shit gets real" show with a bunch of important new characters no one has mentioned before but are apparently super important. Lol. The exposition about the state of the world and the true nature of some of what has been going on is welcome, but this shit should really have been in the series from episode 3 latest. A scifi setting is only as interesting as you make it for the audience, and trying to hide things because if ~reasons~ was really horrible storytelling.

All this makes me wonder how much of Fafner was really planned out by the original writer, and how much of it was the new guy taking everything already produced and thinking how he could best use it to basically make a show which was actually interesting enough for people to want to watch without having to scrap all the episodes they already made.

Still don't think the show is good, but at least it's more intriguing now. It also took 15 episodes for the show to actually do anything remotely worthwhile about the "are you really there" motif which has been hammered in since the first episode. It seemed obvious to me since the first contact flashback in the very first episode that it was a question about existentialism, and the nature of the invaders were a question on existing in a material world or choosing otherwise, but yet no one ever really talks about it or questions why they act this way, not even the kids who are newly exposed to this phenomenon. At least the new writer knows that it's not enough to just have a theme, you actually have to use it actively for it to have any true meaning. :p

So this was the "big event" which everyone takes about because one writer basically replaces the other mid-series and tries to change things as quickly as possible to salvage it from the mediocre pile of forgettable garbage it previously was. I guess it was more interesting, but the Fafner-isms are all still there. The dialogue is really bad and forced, the art is horrible when it tries to do anything substantially cool, the animation is poor for both characters and mechs. The main thing this feels like, is that someone called the staff and said "people are getting sick of this show being a ripoff of Evangelion TV, time to rip off End of Evangelion!" It's really funny.

There's an obvious attempt here to shake up the status quo asap, and a lot of it is done in a really forced and clumsy manner. It's a brute force fix for a narrative which has been slow paced and going nowhere so far, and it's really amusing to see it suddenly turn into a "shit gets real" show with a bunch of important new characters no one has mentioned before but are apparently super important. Lol. The exposition about the state of the world and the true nature of some of what has been going on is welcome, but this shit should really have been in the series from episode 3 latest. A scifi setting is only as interesting as you make it for the audience, and trying to hide things because if ~reasons~ was really horrible storytelling.

All this makes me wonder how much of Fafner was really planned out by the original writer, and how much of it was the new guy taking everything already produced and thinking how he could best use it to basically make a show which was actually interesting enough for people to want to watch without having to scrap all the episodes they already made.

Still don't think the show is good, but at least it's more intriguing now. It also took 15 episodes for the show to actually do anything remotely worthwhile about the "are you really there" motif which has been hammered in since the first episode. It seemed obvious to me since the first contact flashback in the very first episode that it was a question about existentialism, and the nature of the invaders were a question on existing in a material world or choosing otherwise, but yet no one ever really talks about it or questions why they act this way, not even the kids who are newly exposed to this phenomenon. At least the new writer knows that it's not enough to just have a theme, you actually have to use it actively for it to have any true meaning. :p

Can't do anything about fixing the beginning at this point, yeah, but Ubukata does get the chance to do a better (re)laying of groundwork when he handles the prequel Right of Left. That's where the animation and art get good as well, so you'll have to wait for that for your complaints on that score to be addressed. Sorry!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yuri on Victor 6
'Datass.jpg
Oh boy, i hope no animator died during the production. Skating part never going to reach 1st episode quality. All the good scene are reserved to ass shot or BL moment between Yuri and Victor.

Given that Ubukata ended up writing a light novel that covers his alternate re-telling of the first few episodes, and several concepts introduced in there were brought into later parts of the franchise and contradict the early episodes, there's definitely a lot of patchwork. But then again, when I rewatched it earlier this year and noticed shit like Michio being mentioned in the very first episode, I start to think that maybe everything was planned, but the first writer just screwed everything around in favor of being an Eva clone.

Jex

Given that Ubukata ended up writing a light novel that covers his alternate re-telling of the first few episodes, and several concepts introduced in there were brought into later parts of the franchise and contradict the early episodes, there's definitely a lot of patchwork. But then again, when I rewatched it earlier this year and noticed shit like Michio being mentioned in the very first episode, I start to think that maybe everything was planned, but the first writer just screwed everything around in favor of being an Eva clone.

Nah, I think the reverse is true. I think that the name "Michio" appeared in the first episode so when Ubukata was re-writing the series in the middle he decided to take that idea and turn it into something real.

duckroll

Was the name Michio even mentioned? There was an unnamed pilot accompanied by an unnamed woman who told her that her son was also a pilot. Neither of them seem to have names because even after they died the control room just said "the pilot and one staff are missing!" without anyone acting like it really meant anything. Neither are characters and nothing about them seem to have been mentioned ever again. Until Michio shows up in ep12 and Kazuki goes "btw your mom died 11 episodes ago" and he was like "i c, so sad". Lol.

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs 20
0220359ojuh.jpg
022051vujdh.jpg
0220525lj6l.jpg
0220551uk7n.jpg

1450359190015yju3q.gif

There's was much weighty stuff happening in here and imo, way too much to do justice to most of it in the allotted time. As such certain things come out flat. All the more so since the writing was frequently at its worst. In particular, the apocalyptic threat to Yokohama that was introduced and done with way too quickly with really no depiction of the catastrophe unfolding as Atsushi was locked up in Moby Dick. I guess they can still do that after this episode.

Thankfully some info was finally spilled on why MC is such a sought after commodity. I guess it's only fitting for the main plot of this series to revolve around some book Mcguffin.

http://www.gundam.info/topic/16917

Well, I guess my question was answered here. They're not really treating the Loum Arc as a different thing, it'll be a direct continuation and be episodes 5 and 6. The Battle of Loum will be Episode 5, and it will be released in Fall 2017. The Birth of the Red Comet will be Episode 6, and they're targeting 2018 for that.

What? Nothing between now and fall next year? It cant take that long :(

Just T

Bubuki Buranki: 19

Surprised Guy just let Azuma go like that. Pretty straight episode overall, Azuma and Kaoruko's reconciliation was nice. Azuma's group with the power up too.

Flip Flappers: 3-4

This is still an enjoyable wild ride, that fight sequence was unexpected but dope. Figured something was up with Yayaka, didn't really think she would have a whole other group but should be interesting how that plays out between the friends. The latter ep was a nice cool down and bond building for Cocona and Papika.

Bungo Stray Dogs 2 Episode 20

CxoMWiiWEAEQMtP.jpg:small
CxoP4N-XUAAoYz2.jpg:small

Mark T is the best, though I guess we will only barely see him in the remaining episodes. Great voice too.

Best episode this season, the turmoil ad deep emotions
Kyouka saving Atsushi only to make a mistake and now in despair even, get saved again please
along with new alliances. BSD is at its best.

Jarmel

Banned
LOL poor Jarmel. :(

That doesn't actually mean much. He's going to be doing monitor graphics for Gundam Thunderbolt S2 too. It would be different if he was Director of Photography or whatever. The Director of Photography is Teppei Sato, who is currently working on Izetta. You had me worried for a second lol.

Btw looks like I was right about Sato working on something for IG. I figured it was either it was Atom or FMP. Iso is probably going to be working on Atom too.

Jarmel

Banned
Honestly my main concern about FMP right now is that the music production has been switched over from Pony Canyon to Lantis. Obviously Shimokawa isn't likely to return, I was hoping but alas, and seems to have been replaced by Minori Chihara who's doing the theme song for the Very Merry Christmas audio drama. I listened to some of her singles last night and they were ok I guess. She's a bit higher pitched and J-Popish than I would have liked but her slower songs are nice.

Anyway the switch in music production companies raises the question about if Sahashi is coming back. That is a deal breaker for me. Sahashi doesn't really stick to any single music production company though and just seems to float around so who the fuck knows at this point.

As for Aoki, I'll just have to wait on that. He's probably doing Monitor Works for the Genocidal Organ movie coming out in February along with Thunderbolt S2 and Atom. However he hasn't been attached as Director of Photography for any of them. He's almost certainly doing Monitor Works for FMP, but it's really about the Director of Photography role.

Time Bokan 24 Episode 8 – Seton Animal Chronicles Was Actually Donut Chronicles!

Now I want donuts. I was expecting the dog to turn into a robot especially after the many times Tokio hoped it wouldnt.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 16-20

It's definitely getting better. The narrative actually has a good handle on how to effectively use character dynamics to make scenes more emotional and interesting now, which helps a lot. It's also interesting to see how the new characters are being developed on the shoulders of existing characters both living and dead. There's a very efficient use of content that has come before, no matter how bad, to enhance the existing content moving forward. Shoko might have been a nothing character before the show wasted her, and the same could be said about Koyo, but the show has now managed to take those missteps make both Maya and Canon so much better characters than they would otherwise be. I'm actually surprised by how well the show is handling Canon's integration into the narrative. Maya is a great addition as a pilot too.

I think what really sold this batch of episodes is that battle where they all worked together and there were like 7 Fafners in action until things go bad and they all lose their cool. The contrast between how they were in the cockpits and how they normally are and how they acted after the battle is exactly what the show tried to do before showing the psychological effect of piloting Fafners, but this is the first time it has actually worked for me. So... that's progress I guess.

Show has officially gone from "bad" to "bad but kinda interesting" to "not bad, getting better".

Bloodivores Episode 8 – Countdown

Got actually so interesting that I cant take my eyes of the screen good.
I keep hoping Anji is a robot and actually died, so unexplained how she could come back. Also how he is comfortable talking to her if he has woman phobia...

duckroll

I still miss how every episode used to end with Kazuki telling us exactly what the episode was meant to be about though. :(

#BringBackYamanobe

Haikyuu S3 ep.7
So good, I get hype and sadness because its only 3 episodes left!!

JoJo DIU ep.34
Things are getting rather hype here too, lets go!!

Cornbread78

Nisekoi: 6-7

Haru is dumb, no wonder she has an ahoge. She's not wrong though, Ichijo is fucking awful. I hate him more and more in every episode.

Smh, Onodera ftw!

I'm done watching SNAFU2

Irohas best girl. Don't need to watch more.

That's not the important question though. Who is best for Hiki and why? Who truly understands him? How are they compatible? Who is wifey material?

Yui or Yuki?

Occultic;Nine 7
f279d29150e151f1f3b370615527e26c.png

This episode got me all stressed out and feeling all gloomy inside! The atmosphere in each scene, mainly in those memories theatre was so grim...man I loved it. Each character facing so kind of denial about their
death
makes some scenes so strong. Visually this was outstanding like usual, the choice of colors and the quality of the animation makes each scenes even more effective. That moment at the morgue at the end, seeing all those dead bodies....PERFECT!

The mystery is going forward!

Bravo to whoever at A-1 for this, you created one of my all time favorite mystery anime so far. Hoping it stays fantastic!

I do wonder if Aniplex will dub this, it would be very nice!

Sterok

Shuumatsu no Izetta 8

The major knows how to move. Izetta gets a kiss from the wrong person. Major's assistant was eh. I liked the spy guy though. Bianca isn't particularly good at her job. At least her people still have good sniping.

KING OF THE BRAVES GAOGAIGAR #19 The Destructive Right Arm.

Goldion Hammer is great. I hope its not just a one use never see again for 10 episodes tool.

Grand Nova too, I think so far one of my fave miniarcs in this show, wonder if the rest will one up it.

Confused on Mamorus statement, how are Zondars and Zondarians different?

Just T

Bubuki Buranki: 20

Alright at this point pretty tired of Epizo and seems like he's about to get even more annoying. Laetitia's backstroy was straight, not that interested in it tbh but it's fine. This whole romance angle they trying to pull from Epizo's side is just a waste of screen time.

Sterok

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku 8

I still suck at predicting this show.
Winterprison was really looking for a chance to just cut loose without Nana having to see her be vicious. At least she took down Yunael before she died. Minael is already crazy, and Nana will either go crazy or catatonic. She probably blames herself, and it is kind of her fault seeing that she knows they attacked Snow White earlier. Swim Swim's power is still unknown. Top Speed is kind of young to be a housewife, though I guess a 7-year difference from her husband isn't that bad? Cranberry remains a mystery. Mary really is just an all around awful person. So it was a trap all along. Kind of disappointing, but I'm more curious as to why Ripple is such threat to Fav's plans.Well, Calamity Mary sure lives up to her name. I don't see Mary making it through next week, and someone else is sure to bite it since it should have everyone except maybe Nana on the scene. I'm sure once they're down to eight it'll go from bad to worse.

Qurupeke

Occultic;Nine 7

El Psy Congroo. I suppose they had to throw in a Steins;Gate reference, it's the most popular part of the ";" universe. The white kid seems all grown up now, though I'm not sure if it's the same character. Equally creepy, that's for sure.

3-gatsu no Lion 7

Compared to the last episode, which I found really shallow, I liked this one. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy Nikaidou. And the scene with Rei getting angry, even if it was played for the laughs, was pretty cool.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I just learned of this existence of the Senran Kagura cooking battle rhythm game browsing through Steam.

.........WTF is this?

This was a Vita game originally wasn't it?

How long til Shokugeki mods?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
3 Lions Episode 7:

I don't think I will ever enjoy this shit show that passes for humor in this program. That aside, I rather liked the new role cast for Rei this episode as a teacher and an inspiration to others and how that is proving to be a panacea to his depression.

Gundam the Origin IV - Eve of Destiny

The only other surprising thing about Origin IV is how it seems that the director Imanishi has been completely scrubbed from the credits. It's really odd given how he co-storyboarded the previous 3 episodes, only to be completely missing here. In fact the episode doesn't even have a main directed credited at all, simply crediting Yasuhiko as chief director as usual. The only storyboard credit is for Yasuhiko too. I wonder what happened there... :p

Ha ha ha ha, oh boy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom