• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.64
TNgH8Zo.jpg

dude got rekt... like hard.

The little emu cocky piece of crap bit the dust. However, this this new super-bad guy is the real deal and just leveled the entire crew. not even a chance, just took them out in seconds.... bad news!

Jex

What is dead may never die.

If he didn't die from E7 AO then he must already be dead.

As much as I like Fafner and would like Ducrkoll to progress to the point where the show begins to pick up I can't recommend over dosing on it. It's just not safe!

The Great Passage 6

Yep, this is good. Nice subtle animation, and lots of low key scenes that were well directed.

Suicide Squad.

So there are things even worse than anime!

trejo

RahXephon is an Eva clone that understands what is good and bad about Eva and specifically seeks to express itself in ways which Eva failed to. It's a love story that transcends time and a story of displacement and personal responsibility.

In 12 episodes, Fafner is an Eva clone that... exists only because Eva was popular and has nothing remotely interesting to say for itself.

That was a very verbose way of saying that Ayato is a better husbando than Shinji.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.65
uEP65h9.jpg

Damn, this arc started out pretty annoying, but has gotten really, really good all of a sudden. Bad guy is a true bad guy that doesn't give 2 $hits about who of what he is destroying and has no stupid or perverted alt motives. The Final scenes with
Jellal getting his memories back and attacking Natsu......damn

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 34
  • Show's back on track
  • Cheap Trick resolution was delightful in how unorthodox and unexpected it was
  • Rohan being such a shitheel all this time was great because it made Koichi telling him to fuck off entirely believable
  • Kira stuff 2good
  • Atom Heart Father run of eps will be remembered as Part 4's Chimaera Ant arc.

Fairy Tale ep.65
uEP65h9.jpg

Damn, this arc started out pretty annoying, but has gotten really, really good all of a sudden. Bad guy is a true bad guy that doesn't give 2 $hits about who of what he is destroying and has no stupid or perverted alt motives. The Final scenes with
Jellal getting his memories back and attacking Natsu......damn

Best Fairy Tail arc.

Thud

Diamond is Unwashable 34

The cheap trick finish was better in the manga, but it was done pretty well considering.

However they absolutely nailed the bath scene. Dat tension and then the switch to the preview, perfection.

I took a screenshot and it turned out to be really out of context and creepy:

pbayne

Great Passage 6

Ughhh. Maybe im being spoiled by the good character writing/moments in Poco's Udon World but all my frustrations with this show came to boil in this episode.

For a show that is paraded as being mature, do the characters in this really have much depth or isn't the writing awfully simplistic? I guess that came work but i don't find anything in the show with greater depth than any throwaway shounen show. I think im guilty of being more lenient with the show and holding it to a different standard for some reason earlier on. Characters generally have their one or two character tropes that they've stayed pretty close to so far. Ive already been pretty clear that i don't like Majime's character. It is a bit too "precious" and twee for my liking and everyone around him is too accommodating or accepting of it, just seems completely at odds with the more adult cast.

I suppose the thing i still like the most is the actual subject matter. Anything can be interesting if presented right. Even though the way it's presented never fails to make me laugh. Every time the old guy makes some sage proclamation about dictionary writing being a "chosen calling" and "its the most important thing in your life" i can't take it seriously at all. And I know Nishioka sort of counterbalances that because he just sees it as a boring job like any other but it can be tough to swallow.

The romance angle. Eh im happy they didn't needlessly drag it out. But it was pretty flat and unconvincing, These two have talked together on-screen what...twice, three times? And now they're in love. Now I'm a big sucker for sappy romance stories but even i know even by "love at first sight rules" that's a lightning quick turnaround. I think i would accept their weird, bumbling courtship if they were supposed to be 15 or 16 but fuck are they not 25 or something? Sure you get shy, awkward people at any age irl but i thought it was a bit nonsense the whole thing. The granny trying to set them up was pretty cringe too.

My biggest problem is probably; what's the aim of the show? Just in general. Is it a character driven show about Majime learning to express himself? Id accept that but those aspects encompass a very small part so far. And even then it can be a bit heavy handed (lol literally drowning in words, really?). But its not really a plot driven show either. At least I don't think so. Now I don't need millions of things to be happening, i appreciate a nice, sedate pace. But i was thinking of the obstacles people encounter in this show and how they are almost always immediately overcome. They have to write a new dictionary. they find the perfect person. They need to convince the head office for funding. They get it. They need to edit this other dictionary. They do it. There's no real drive or urgency about anything, it feels like obstacles for the sake of having them. The only one so far that has had any weight was Nishioka being transferred, which tbf looks like they will focus on the impact that will have. In conclusion i don't know what the shows going for really(lol jesus i hope the romance isn't going to turn out to be the show driving force anyway because that is a sure fire death sentence).

And the unfairest criticism in the world because they have completely different contexts but i keep comparing this to Rakugo and they're just on two different levels. Now i know the similarities are pretty superficial but think how rich the characters were in Rakugo at this point and how many factors were at play. And overall i still like Great Passage quite a bit, but i can't pretend i find anything compelling about it either. For instance if this was a Western TV show, id be immediately discarded onto the pile of forgettable whatevers that come out every year. Just because it's "different from most anime" dosen't mean it dosen't suffer from similar shoddy writing that most of them have at least imo.

That was nice long rant.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In my goal to watch all the anime in the ill fated Chiller Block I decided to do the "best of the worst" first and finished "Is this a Zombie?" and "Devil May Cry: Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry™ Series."

"Is this a zombie?" is a good idea executed poorly. Devil May Cry is okay but outside of Pizza and Strawberry Sundaes completely forgettable. I watched six episodes of it today and couldn't remember the events of four of them minutes after I watched it. Basically like Dimension W but with Dante.

Jackt can't VA for shit #7

Hey it's that a chick from Darker than Black S2.

WAT. That's Twenty Faces??? Which means he's a dude???

WAIT A SECOND

Looks like Keijo wasn't the only anime that beaten Yuri on Ice on that.

Also this scene looked straight out from Boku no Pico. Yes, Kobayashi is naked behind the sofa.

We need more pool moments.

Great Passage 6

I appreciate you taking the time to write up your problems with the show at such length. Perhaps when I have more energy at another time I will be able to respond to your criticisms at length. But for right now I just want to say that I do not enjoy The Great Passage merely because it is different from most anime - I do watch film and TV beyond merely anime, so it's not like I have no experience with stories featuring adult characters. I agree that being different is not a determiner of quality in itself, as Joker Game this year so unmemorably proved. I enjoy The Great Passage because I think it is a genuinely well executed show with strong direction and animation and gently appealing characterization.

(Also I think you've misinterpreted some of the show; as the meeting in this episode showed, the dictionary team have not gotten more funding from the company executives and they have not yet started on revising the learner's dictionary. The only thing Nishioka has managed to accomplish within the company is preventing the dictionary group from being completely disbanded, and as Sasaki pointed out, with Nishioka being forced to transfer to PR that will leave Majime as the only full-time employee in the group, since the others involved are merely part-time.)

Qurupeke

Pokemon Sun & Moon 2
76q8V2i.jpg
A4THFZ7.jpg

That moment you realize your mistake but it's too late.
Alright, the series is officially a lot of fun. I'm a bit relieved it's not entirely comedic and there's focus on a certain goal, but I really welcome this change of pace. I think the Pokemon series can work on a variety of styles and genres, but this feels very different to anything so far and it still manages to encapsulate the spirit and the vibe of the games. There are plenty of questions about the direction the series will take, but for now I think I'll enjoy it for what it is.

The new starters are too good though.

phaze

Aoi Bungaku 05-06

One of the more bizarre things I've ever seen ...

Words rather fail me in trying to describe this story. I will only say that the voice actor for the main character was like completely miscast. You expect something completely different from a ruffian like him. (though I'm not sure if that wasn't the point.)

Line_HTX

Has there ever been another anime season that was this gay?
I'm not complaning, I'm just suprised.

Maybe when there was Strawberry Panic or Kannazuki no Miko?

This is the first season I've seen where it's all bunched up together, haha. Winter might have more, who knows?

Aoi Bungaku 05-06

One of the more bizarre things I've ever seen ...

Words rather fail me in trying to describe this story. I will only say that the voice actor for the main character was like completely miscast. You expect something completely different from a ruffian like him. (though I'm not sure if that wasn't the point.)

This story was directed by Tetsuro Araki of Attack on Titan fame, and it is indeed extremely bizarre and, if you ask me, rather unsuccessful. This and the bland treatment of Kokoro are the worst parts of Aoi Bungaku.

sonicmj1

This story was directed by Tetsuro Araki of Attack on Titan fame, and it is indeed extremely bizarre and, if you ask me, rather unsuccessful. This and the bland treatment of Kokoro are the worst parts of Aoi Bungaku.

This is accurate.

I think Araki totally misses the mark with this story, but he pushes everything so far that I found it kind of fascinating to watch him fail.

phaze

Yeah that certainly explains a bit. Though with that script, I dare say no matter the director, the result would be largely the same. I wonder how it relates to original work cause I've hard time believing some parts came from story that dates back to 1947.

Did anyone actually like the first season?

2nd best Gundam. (I've seen)

"Liked" would be saying too much but it had top tier action, offed itself within reasonable amount of time and while not exactly very inventive, I enjoyed the harrowing depiction of war it presented.

Sterok

Lostorage Incited Wixoss 7

Chinatsu continues to grow her edge levels. Hanna ends up being easily bribed with food. Sumida 2 is working for Satomi for some reason? That will need an explanation. All the guys are garbage in this. They just completely cripple themselves.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another anime I'm watching this month is Dub Note. What a fantastic dub. Also on my mount Rushmore of great anime that totally flubbed the ending along with Rurouni Kenshin, GTO, and School Rumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom