• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Code Geass had the chance to actually be good at the start but it settled for completely falling apart so thoroughly it became amazing.

This new story better be more of the same.

Line_HTX

loool

plz be true

2007 2008 me needs validated
The LELOUCH LIVED faction has been vindicated.

Count me in as one of those who thinks Lelouch lived too! I wanted validation so bad after many years.

Slight correction. The title would actually be Lelouch of the Resurrection, not Resurrection of Lelouch. Just like how the original series was Lelouch of the Rebellion.

The director (Taniguchi???) also supposedly said at the event that it's a simple (straight forward?) sequel.

A full on sequel? Yes please!

Jex

Code Geass was always super-popular, so something like this was inevitable.

Conceptually speaking...I don't like the idea of making a sequel to it, at a glance, but they could make things work out. Best case scenario, it'll be more interesting than we might imagine. Worst case, it'll probably still be entertaining either way.

Since they're apparently going the "compilation movies with new scenes" route too, as preparation for said sequel...I guess that might help them streamline the messier parts of the two seasons..

Frankly, I think Akito gets way too much flak. Akane is a talented director and there are lots of his quirks, positive and negative, involved. I liked it well enough.

No, the real worse cast scenario is that it isn't even entertaining.

In truth S3 is really a Geass and Cross Ange crossover that combines the two worlds.

a551242925f585fd679f3436cff82bef.jpg

zulux21

I feel like you don't need a sequel to this series.
But that's just me.

need... absolutely not.

has enough things to work with that it could make for a very solid sequel.
absolutely yes.

it will likely be mediocre, but I have way more faith that it will turn out decently than I do for FLCL2.

Arabesque

Frankly, I think Akito gets way too much flak. Akane is a talented director and there are lots of his quirks, positive and negative, involved. I liked it well enough.

We talked about it when the final OVA came out, but I think that Akito the Exile suffered from the format it had and the length of time it took for it to be completed. The fact that it got delayed and extended didn't help matters, and that the project changed in its outlook from the start to its conclusion.

As good as Akane is, I think he might have not been the right fit for the job with Akito. Even speaking as someone who also liked the OVA's.

JCG

No, the real worse cast scenario is that it isn't even entertaining.

On paper, but I doubt Sunrise and the staff would be willing to go this far without keeping that in mind. I mean, they apparently had Zero literally crash the credits in order to make the announcement during the anniversary event. They know the sort of theatricality people will expect out of a sequel.

Code Geass had the chance to actually be good at the start but it settled for completely falling apart so thoroughly it became amazing.

This new story better be more of the same.

This is only a valid statement if you assume Taniguchi wanted Code Geass to be a regular mecha series made within the standards of reasonable storytelling. That couldn't be more wrong.

The staff were fully aware of the craziness and over-the-top nature of the narrative. In fact, they openly embraced it. In a few words, Code Geass was always intended to be a chaotic yet entertaining production held together by Lelouch. It's possible to complain about individual parts of said narrative, but Lelouch's character arc made sense all the way through. That's the secret (or not so secret) key to why the show worked for a lot of people who are not exclusively (or even predominantly) cynical about it. Thus, for many folks, it ultimately came together after all the madness.

Line_HTX

need... absolutely not.

has enough things to work with that it could make for a very solid sequel.
absolutely yes.

it will likely be mediocre, but I have way more faith that it will turn out decently than I do for FLCL2.

Daaaamn. Though I understand where you're coming from. I still think it's odd and unnecessary for the original staff to make more of FLCL.

kewlmyc

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection

few years after zero requiem
main character is Lelouch
not confirmed to be TVA or not yet
There will be 3-part movie of the recap of the original Code Geass starting January 2017.

So Lelouch was actually still alive after all. Freaking lol.

Dio

Banned
I have watched a few episodes of Code Geass and I will never understand people's fascination with this show.

It was really hot all over anime forums, 4chan and stuff for a while because it was such an enjoyable trainwreck. Tons of memes and shit.

I was a teenager when it aired and I loved being along for the ride and participating in the viewership and memery.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Blown away by Occultic Nine so far, didn't expect this at all by the first ep, so glad I stuck with it.

Any consensus on what some recent must-watch shows are, for someone who only dips into anime from time to time and favors either mystery/psychological or comedy/slice-of-life, but isn't opposed to other stuff?

jman2050

For example, if I told you to "kill the Japanese"

I still remember my reaction at episode 22, it was some combination of horror, confusion, and utter disbelief that they pulled that out of their asses so brazenly.

Heck I still can't believe they did that, it goes against all manner of proper storytelling and common sense and just goes straight into "What is the worst possible thing that can happen right at this moment?" and just rolls with it. I hate everything that it stands for and yet I can only applaud them for doing it because well, ultimately it worked.

blurr

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection

few years after zero requiem
main character is Lelouch
not confirmed to be TVA or not yet
There will be 3-part movie of the recap of the original Code Geass starting January 2017.

whoa, cannot believe nor can I understand why or what

Kubo and the Two Strings

Interseting story which I need more time to think through comprising undertones of art, story telling and christianity(?). I was quite moved at the ending.

Action sequences were really well done, imaginative and tense. A lot more amusing than I expected. I was uncertain if the movie actually used puppets or full 3DCG until the credits happened, very cool.

You guys should watch it.

GEE HANZO'S STORY IS TRAGIC BUT THERE WAS NO GENJI WHY BLIZZARD

JCG

I have watched a few episodes of Code Geass and I will never understand people's fascination with this show.

It's a mix of high entertainment value and an engaging protagonist, plus some pretty good direction and a combination of other interesting elements. The word "trainwreck" gets thrown around a lot, but that really doesn't fully explain the entire phenomenon, neither in terms of its size nor the diversity of opinions toward the series.

All the memes and craziness did play a role, no doubt, yet not every single show with them gets anywhere close to this in popularity. Far from it, as a matter of fact. There are still new people, even on this very forum, who will voluntarily watch the series on their own and come out of the experience with a pretty positive opinion.

He was the farmer on the cart all along, just like people memed he was.

Who knows? They might actually use a completely different explanation. Stuff is going to be changed before that point anyway.

ibyea

Banned
It was really hot all over anime forums, 4chan and stuff for a while because it was such an enjoyable trainwreck. Tons of memes and shit.

I was a teenager when it aired and I loved being along for the ride and participating in the viewership and memery.

It's a mix of high entertainment value and an engaging protagonist, plus some pretty good direction and a combination of other interesting elements. The word "trainwreck" gets thrown around a lot, but that really doesn't fully explain the entire phenomenon, neither in terms of its size nor the diversity of opinions toward the series.

All the memes and craziness did play a role, no doubt, yet not every single show with them gets anywhere close to this in popularity. Far from it, as a matter of fact. There are still new people, even on this very forum, who will voluntarily watch the series on their own and come out of the experience with a pretty positive opinion.

Heh, I guess I just wasn't entertained. The last thing I still remember of the show was Lelouch being a pretentious idiot by raising a chess piece during battle. After the episode me and my brother gave up on the show being any more interesting.

Sölf

I still need to watch the Geass Akito stuff. But boy, I never expected that.

So, since everybody said I should watch Mirai Nikki I will do that. I do have a question for Deadman Wonderland though:
A friend of mine said the anime only covers half the manga. Does the anime have an original ending or is it one of the "read the source material" endings? And if it's latter, more like Overlord/No Game no Life or more like, well, Gangsta/Akagi, where it just stops in the middle of it?

phaze

Sölf;225516145 said:

So, since everybody said I should watch Mirai Nikki I will do that. I do have a question for Deadman Wonderland though:
A friend of mine said the anime only covers half the manga. Does the anime have an original ending or is it one of the "read the source material" endings? And if it's latter, more like Overlord/No Game no Life or more like, well, Gangsta/Akagi, where it just stops in the middle of it?

I haven't watched either of those but Wonderland just stops after finishing what felt like a mostly pointless sidearc that spans across last few episodes.

Szadek

Sölf;225516145 said:
I wouldn't recommand it.
Actually, it's possible that you watched already, but you complelty forgot about.
It's that unmemorable.

JCG

Heh, I guess I just wasn't entertained. The last thing I still remember of the show was Lelouch being a pretentious idiot by raising a chess piece during battle. After the episode me and my brother gave up on the show being any more interesting.

I guess you watched a couple of episodes? Things change shortly after. Lelouch does have that self-confident and pretentious attitude, which the show itself mocks on occasion in various ways, but I think what made him easy to swallow is the series wasn't afraid of having him lose battles or giving him more range. Unlike Light from DN, he does care about other people and isn't always in that cynical mastermind mode. He's pretty charismatic as a fabulous terrorist leader once the costume comes in too.

I wouldn't recommand it.
Actually, it's possible that you watched already, but you complelty forgot about.
It's that unmemorable.

It can be hard to recommend Akito, unless you're a specific type of viewer who appreciates the director's special interests and/or doesn't expect the same approach from the TV series.

It is closer to a regular military mecha story, except with a few Geass-related elements and some sci-fi fluff near the end (like Unicorn or other Gundams). The 3DCG battles are pretty much the highlight.

duckroll

I have no trouble recommending Akito at all. It's a short mecha OVA with cool designs, great action, a superficial war theme, great music, and a stupid ass ending. Sounds like anime to me.

JCG

Jeremiah's voice actor, Ken Narita, was the MC for the anniversary event ceremony, so make of that what you will.

I have no trouble recommending Akito at all. It's a short mecha OVA with cool designs, great action, a superficial war theme, great music, and a stupid ass ending. Sounds like anime to me.

I can only partially agree about the ending (we've talked about that before), but many fans of the TV series tend to find it boring long before then. Less than two episodes in.

Arabesque

Jeremiah's voice actor, Ken Narita, was the MC for the anniversary event ceremony, so make of that what you will.

Uh oh. I hope they don't involve Jeremiah too much in the sequel, otherwise something bad might happen to him.

I can't take it if they do something like torch his orange farm and he is forced to take arms in rebellion because of it. It might break my heart.

Baalzebup

Uh oh. I hope they don't involve Jeremiah too much in the sequel, otherwise something bad might happen to him.

I can't take it if they do something like torch his orange farm and he is forced to take arms in rebellion because of it. It might break my heart.
All he needs to see is Lulu making one of his hammy speeches and the dude will go running to find and serve his master again.

OT: More Geass makes me very, very happy camper indeed.

Slight correction. The title would actually be Lelouch of the Resurrection, not Resurrection of Lelouch. Just like how the original series was Lelouch of the Rebellion.

The director (Taniguchi???) also supposedly said at the event that it's a simple (straight forward?) sequel.

Huh. Taniguchi's stayed away from Sunrise for a while now, but I guess he (and Sunrise/Bandai obviously) needs some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom