• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

yeah, OT threads get weird and recommendations that often have nothing to do with what people ask for get dropped.

"I'd like something about high school romance that doesn't stray too far into harem antics."
"watch hxh 2010 and opm bro. thank me later."

So they even get the year wrong. :p

Tiger Mask W8

Naoto scored with the nurse, nice.

Looks like next episode will be fun~

Dragonball Super 68

Bulma should have wished non sagging boobs. Or brains for young Trunks. That's what you get when you mess with the beerus. You get crabs.

Also poor Shenron. Nobody takes him seriously.

Logged in just fine.

Do you have caps lock on?

Nope was using chrome to autofill it

I had few *crunchyroll is having problem* pages, but it stopped now.

Edit: Never mind it's still crashing

Thanks for the help everyone! Turns out crunchyroll has a chat support, they were able to reset my password for me and I can log back in again. They solved everything in like 5 minutes, way more helpful than the ~24 hour email I was expecting to wait for!

Cornbread78

Gosick ep. 20-21
nN7j6BE.png
Getting towards the end of the show, but there are still a bunch of unanswered questions about what a Grey Wolf is and what exactly is Victorica. Thr murder case this time was pretty interesting, but I want to know more about her and her situation at this point.

TUSR

Banned
LWA, Rakugo, Konosuba, Granblue

the ot for winter (if bgbw doesnt have reservations for winter) will be 100% LWA and Trigger based.

duckroll

Saying "anime" is irrelevant, when it's over, Your Name will be the second highest grossing domestic film in Japan ever. It can't beat Spirited Away, but nothing will probably beat that ever.

Branduil

Saying "anime" is irrelevant, when it's over, Your Name will be the second highest grossing domestic film in Japan ever. It can't beat Spirited Away, but nothing will probably beat that ever.

Pretty crazy. It's really not on the same level as those Miyazaki films, but I can understand to some degree why it's making that much money. It's the "Avatar" of Japan in a lot of ways.

Taruranto

Sengoku Basara S1 12

Now that's a climax. Everyone comes together for the final battle against the big JRPG bad who is explicitly called the ultimate incarnation of evil. Lots of flashy animation and cool effects. Pretty much exactly how you would want a show like this to end. It's a silly show overall, but it's entertaining because instead of being strictly self-serious it embraces its silliness (though it could have gone even farther in that direction). The generally high level of animation is key as well, since this is an action series where you want it to be as constantly flashy as possible. The characters are not particularly interesting as sources of meaningful drama, but as I've mentioned before the hammy acting helps to sell the show as solid pulp entertainment. I'm hopeful for season 2, since it sounds like that's going to be a tighter product overall.

Personally I really dislike S2, I feel like S1 is as good as Sengoku Basara could possibly be. (Haven't watched the movie)

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus - Episode 14-15

Mother of God, this is the mecha Fate/Zero. The composite. The backgrounds. The colors. Even the character art. The action. Omg. HOW did Xebec get this good?!

After these two episodes, I'm definitely recommending this series to everyone I can. Wait. But. They have to watch Fafner TV first. Fuck. Nooooooooooooooo.

Atrghaghaghaigfbhaognhviagapigjiajiajriaja. SO GOOD. SEND HELP.

JulianImp

My Magical Girls can't Possibly be this Edgy - #9
Why you ask, Ripple? Because tripping over a couple hundred death flags in quick succession is often a bad idea in fiction.

I just can't understand people even comparing this show to Madoka at Crunchyroll. This has all the trappings of an "edgy for the sake of edgy" show, making it more similar to Akame ga Kill than the former. The cast is horribly underdeveloped, and the only way the show tries to make us care bout them is by spamming tragic flashbacks and having characters trip over as many death flags as they can before getting killed off. The show never manages to make me care about anything that's going on, Monobag's death game is stupid as hell (pon!), and the whole thing about allegiances, politics and deception is handled with the subtletly of Edward Scissorhands.

To me, Calamity Mary was the only antagonist that was actually any fun, since Swim "what would Ruler do?" Swim is way too expressionless and boring, and Cranberry is a mystery that, given the show's track record, we'll only get to understand not through clever foreshadowing or slowly piecing things together, but rather through some awful, ham-fisted exposition montage that the cast probably won't even get to see themselves (that or a Bond villain speech, I guess).

Jex

Mother of God, this is the mecha Fate/Zero. The composite. The backgrounds. The colors. Even the character art. The action. Omg. HOW did Xebec get this good?!

After these two episodes, I'm definitely recommending this series to everyone I can. Wait. But. They have to watch Fafner TV first. Fuck. Nooooooooooooooo.

Truly the dilemma that all Fafner fans must face.

So, I like Keijo quite a bit, enjoying it for its pure absurdity. I feel like its story is a bit by the books if you strip away all the boob and butt unique battle mechanics and such, fitting into a pretty standard shonen formula both in characters and narrative.

But while doing Twitter promotion for my Wife and I's review website, I was contacted by someone who asked me to join a Discord on Keijo, with the intent of discussing it.... What's to discuss? Curious, I joined anyway.

It's so odd. The guy set up this community to discuss the series, and feels it's one of the greatest anime of all time as far as I can tell. There's a few other users who feel the same way, frustrated that the world hasn't accepted the majesty that is Keijo. There's been talk/worry about Keijo's sales, encouraging people to buy the Blurays when they hit, voting in Japan only polls to try and bolster its popularity (Mind you, I don't think we really know how popular it even is in Japan till those sales first hit.)

But as for actual discussion, would you believe it, there is none! Daily messages mostly consist of people asking each other if they've finally watched the latest episode or not, or asking each other's favorite character, or reminding each other it's the best anime ever, ecchi or not. Oh and that Ecchi needs to become more dominant/accepted by the overall population.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, I found it interesting seeing an entirely different side of the fandom, one predicated on Ecchi's acceptance and wholly invested in Keijo like it is, indeed the savior of anime. They're nice guys though, just, not sure what there's really to talk about with Keijo lol.

Ascheroth

Truly the dilemma that all Fafner fans must face.

Indeed it is.

Baalzebup

This thread reminds me why it suck to live in small country (Finland) as a anime fan. No chance that Your Name comes to theathers here...
Honestly, if it ain't from Ghibli, it won't get a chance for the big screens here. It really is a bit annoying.
Harsh 1st world problems, eh?

JulianImp

This thread reminds me why it suck to live in small country (Finland) as a anime fan. No chance that Your Name comes to theathers here...

I'm thinking about going to watch Koe no Katachi in theaters while I'm still in Japan, because we have the exact same problem back in Argentina.

Actually, would anyone here happen to know whether it'd be worth watching or not?

Honestly, if it ain't from Ghibli, it won't get a chance for the big screens here. It really is a bit annoying.

Even Ghibli movies rarely get much here :p

I'm thinking about going to watch Koe no Katachi in theaters while I'm still in Japan, because we have the exact same problem back in Argentina.

Actually, would anyone here happen to know whether it'd be worth watching or not?

It's great. Watch it!

I haven't seen it myself yet, but if you have the opportunity to see it you'd be crazy to pass that up.

DiGiKerot

Koe no Katachi is totally worth seeing.

Szadek

Why you ask, Ripple? Because tripping over a couple hundred death flags in quick succession is often a bad idea in fiction.

I just can't understand people even comparing this show to Madoka at Crunchyroll. This has all the trappings of an "edgy for the sake of edgy" show, making it more similar to Akame ga Kill than the former. The cast is horribly underdeveloped, and the only way the show tries to make us care bout them is by spamming tragic flashbacks and having characters trip over as many death flags as they can before getting killed off. The show never manages to make me care about anything that's going on, Monobag's death game is stupid as hell (pon!), and the whole thing about allegiances, politics and deception is handled with the subtletly of Edward Scissorhands.

To me, Calamity Mary was the only antagonist that was actually any fun, since Swim "what would Ruler do?" Swim is way too expressionless and boring, and Cranberry is a mystery that, given the show's track record, we'll only get to understand not through clever foreshadowing or slowly piecing things together, but rather through some awful, ham-fisted exposition montage that the cast probably won't even get to see themselves (that or a Bond villain speech, I guess).
Pretty much this, but there are a few thing I wan to add.
I think the flashbacks are worse than in Akame ga KIll, because there they at least added a bit more to the characters.
In this show on the other hand, most of the time they only reinforce what we already knew about them.
Why are Ruler and Mary such assholes? Because they were always assholes!
With a little more afford they could have made this characters much more interesting.

As for the villains, the problem I have them is that it's impossible to take them serious and yet they aren't over the top enough to be entertaning.
They aren't like this guy this for instance :
The worst part of Swim Swim is that the Ruler wasn't nearly long enough around to get a good picture of her.
Rulers underdeveloped now carries over to Swim Swim.
It's underdeveloped-ception!

I think the flashbacks are worse than in Akame ga KIll, because there they at least added a bit more to the characters.
In this show on the other hand, most of the time they only reinforce what we already knew about them.
With a little more afford they could have made this characters much more interesting.

As for the villains, the problem I have them is that it's impossible to take them serious and yet they aren't over the top enough to be entertaning.

The worst part of Swim Swim is that the Ruler wasn't nearly long enough around to get a good picture of her.

I don't know that I feel the same way. I think we learned enough about Ruler to know she was bad news. She was manipulative, self-serving, but efficient. I think the idea with Swim Swim is that she's simply too young to really understand the right from wrong with Ruler and thus is an even worse version of all the lessons Ruler was 'teaching.' I actually really enjoy the idea of that sleepy magical girl accidentally influencing Swim Swim in such a way that sets much of this carnage in motion.

I might agree the show is a tad simplistic, but I think it's doing a pretty decent job of balancing all these characters and giving us, albeit minimal, insight into each of these girls and why they became magical girls. I don't think it's a particularly deep show, but I don't believe it has to be to be entertaining.

And I think in say, the case of Calamity Mary, sure she's always been an asshole, but we actually do learn why. It's because she's got low self-esteem, and hates people who've achieved more than her in life. She's basically the embodiment of people who wanted great things, but find life stepping in their way and then become exceedingly violent and jealous in response.

Cornbread78

I had been enjoying the show quite a bit but the last couple episodes have just been so meh and ridiculous.

First of all, Swim Swim in real life is an
8 year old little girl
but has killed the most magical girls and is now somehow the biggest antagonist in the show? Seriously? Regardless of her magical girl powers, they made her OP as hell and she cut
26 years off her lifespan
anyway, but seriously.... I'll keep watching the show, but they have abandoned the MC of the show and have not developed the characters enough since the first 3 episodes. because they show lost focus of who/what the story is actually about.

All that said, it still provides mindless entertainment, but yeah, it's been pretty bad story telling since the early few episodes...

JulianImp

The worst part of Swim Swim's obsession with Ruler is that we keep getting the same repeated flashbacks over and over, when that would've been an amazing opportunity for the writers to characterize her posthumously through short glimpses at the things she said and did that supposedly influecened Swim Swim so greatly. Instead, what we're getting is Swim Swim thinking "What would Ruler do?", and the answer always being one of Ruler's two old lines, either "don't fight fair" or "kill the strongest enemies first". Like, really?

And yeah, the reason I wish Mary and Magicaloid could've lasted longer is that one of them was a freaking hammy psycho and the other a ruthless pragmatist, which made for much better antagonists than Cranberry or Swim Swim.

The best part is that the show doesn't even try to come up with good excuses for changing the game's rules every other episode. It's as if the writers keep giving us random twists and exposition dumps out of nowhere whenever they feel like it, more than the story actually having any kind of underlying theme that it's trying to convey, resulting in a hodge-podge of recycled tropes and edgy story beats that lack even the slightest bit of internal consistence.

Well there are some exceptions from time to time. The Boy and the Beast at least got pretty wide release here in Helsinki area during this summer (year later than Japan lol). But yeah overall Ghibi movies are the only ones that get release for sure.

jgminto

So that magical girl show is another example of the dark and edgy take on magical girls being a completely vapid trope at this point? I'm not surprised. That shit is on par with a Zack Snyder joint when it comes to saying nothing of note with darker tones.

JulianImp

Well there are some exceptions from time to time. The Boy and the Beast at least got pretty wide release here in Helsinki area during this summer (year later than Japan lol). But yeah overall Ghibi movies are the only ones that get release for sure.

Wow, we also got the movie in Argentine cinemas earlier this year, so I guess whoever handled the distribution just had it sent to as many countries as they could.

The only difference is we aren't even guaranteed to get Ghibli movies in theaters around here...

So that magical girl show is another example of the dark and edgy take on magical girls being a completely vapid trope at this point? I'm not surprised. That shit is on par with a Zack Snyder joint when it comes to saying nothing of note with darker tones.

Yup, it's like the writers didn't get a thing about what made Madoka interesting aside from "it had magical girls suffering". I wasn't an avid anime watcher back then, but I wonder if the same thing happened after Evangelion turned the giant robot genre on its head...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom