• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

You should have stopped at the end of season 1 to be honest. Season 2 has all the problems of season 1 with almost none of the positives.

I should have but at this point only a few episodes to go and I need something to preoccupy me whilst I do the laundry. I was at least hoping for some cool fights but not even that, kind of wonder how this managed to get a second season too.

Blown away by Occultic Nine so far, didn't expect this at all by the first ep, so glad I stuck with it.

Any consensus on what some recent must-watch shows are, for someone who only dips into anime from time to time and favors either mystery/psychological or comedy/slice-of-life, but isn't opposed to other stuff?

M3
Glasslip
Trickster
Nijiiro Days (Rainbow Days)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've always considered taking this particularly journey into bad anime but I just can't stand to see a work get butchered, even if it's an interesting historical footnote. Thanks for reporting from the frontline!

Like I said, it's not as bad as its reputation makes it out to be. The animation isn't doctored and even the musical score remains intact. Most importantly, unlike real bad anime, here you have the option to go back to the good version and forget everything about the Warriors of the Wind. So you don't run the risk of ruining a classic forever.

Heck, the dub isn't that awful either. Not as good as the later Pixar dub (which, in my opinion, is their best effort), but you won't certainly won't be cringing like some early dubs could cause you to do.

One Piece Movie 6 - Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island

rUj2VaQ.jpg
EDCtIsq.jpg
PKgEytJ.jpg
YwcA7FJ.jpg

So I ended up rewatching this movie and its as good as I remember. The loose and lively character designs really do work in the movies favor in the first half which is far more festive and whimsical, and in general its just a really beautiful and well shot movie. The movie slowly starts to develop a darker tone as it goes on, and it really does remind me of Thriller Bark (a massive themepark-ish island hiding gruesome secrets, Omatsuri and Moria have a similar past) and Sabaody Archipelago (Luffy's ultimate fear of losing his crew and being helpless to stop it) and those arcs were written after this movie was made. I used to think this movie was rather unlike the rest of One Piece but I think Hosoda understands the series very, very well even before the events that would define the rest of it at Sabaody through Marineford years later.

I really like the way the movie develops and how the visuals are used to set the tone. The color usage in this movie is top of the line. The movie starts out with very vibrant and bright colors, as it starts to descend into a more horror vibe the colors begin to become more drab and by the end its reminiscent of the Eclipse in Berserk. I'm sure for anyone who has seen this movie the semi-final stands out massively from the rest, and rightfully so. It's fucking horrifying. It makes good use of Luffy's stretchiness to give some really uneasy shots.

For good measure, I'm certain that the tv anime crew got inspiration for that legendary Tenryuubito punch in Episode 396 from this movie's amazing punch scene. I mean, its pretty much the same thing -

Galaxy Angel S2 - Episode 4
Husbando-tier Volcott!
latest

😄 Dear God this show is fun! 😄

I still can't believe that this show ran for god knows how many seasons. It has so many things I want in a comedy anime: Cute girls; reliance on goofy character interaction and their bizarre quirks instead of fanservice(Ranpha is still hotness incarnate); deranged humor, and continuity-free accessibility. Essentially the Futurama of anime. The only other series I can think of that comes close is Sabagebu!

TrueBlue

Rewatching the first few episodes of Code Geass on Netflix, as a sort of celebration for the "R3" announcement. Been absolutely ages since I've watched it, but it's as entertaining as I remember. Lelouch is great.

"You fellas know full well what this badass mother can do!"

Karen Strassman must have had a lot of fun delivering that line.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 42

I thought Chikurun was being blackmailed by Oruba by holding the Fairy Village hostage, not that Chikurun was scared that he was being lazy would be discovered by the queen. Kind of a pathetic excuse. Of course the girls are quick to forgive because they always are. At least that one villain I don't care for is gone now.

Anyone know of some romance/drama with an element of time or the past to them(like the childhood memory in Love Hina type thing, flashforward endings of AmagamiSS, etc)

And/Or with characters either graduating highschool or older.

TUSR

Banned
Anyone know of some romance/drama with an element of time or the past to them(like the childhood memory in Love Hina type thing)

The childhood memory thing is a common plot element in harems, like Nisekoi, Love Hina, etc.

Are you looking for something more serious?

Anyone know of some romance/drama with an element of time or the past to them(like the childhood memory in Love Hina type thing, flashforward endings of AmagamiSS, etc)

Do you mean like, childhood promises?

Because that's throwing a massive net over tons of shitty harems

Cornbread78

WWW.working ep.9
Another confirmed ship already?! This is great, lol.

Occultic;Nine ep.8
Oh, so there is a secret org
conrolling these "deaths"
from the shadows? We knew they were up to something, but looks like everything has been orcastrated by them....

Aki-at

ClassicLoid - 6

Bach just controlled muzik with Toccata and Fugue, as expected.

And now the show has me listening to it. Mission accomplished I suppose.

The childhood memory thing is a common plot element in harems, like Nisekoi, Love Hina, etc.

Are you looking for something more serious?
Anything besides a 100% Comedy(I actually love the somewhat serious elements of Love Hina.).
But yeah leaning serious.

Do you mean like, childhood promises?

Because that's throwing a massive net over tons of shitty harems

That, but I also didn't explain it too well.
It can also be something that goes through a long period of time,(or just showing a decent amount of those character's future)
A childhood friend still close as an adult.
or just decent characterization shown in the past.

Also sorry for always asking in this thread, i'd way rather get recommendations from you guys than slowly searching through millions of potentials elsewhere.
(though MAL's recommendations are great I have already closely checked the recommendations of everything I rated over a 5.)

Cornbread78

Izetta ep.9
Fuck this plotline.. so stupid. A
cloned witch that has been groomed to hate Eldsydt.
WTF is this shit in my little country that could anime? Bullshit..

phaze

Anything besides a 100% Comedy(I actually love the somewhat serious elements of Love Hina.).

It can also be something that goes through a long period of time,(or just showing a decent amount of those character's future)

C-C-Clannad? From what I've read about it.

Narag

I dont think people mind. I'd much rather people ask in this thread then make a thread in OT

yeah, OT threads get weird and recommendations that often have nothing to do with what people ask for get dropped.

"I'd like something about high school romance that doesn't stray too far into harem antics."
"watch hxh 2010 and opm bro. thank me later."

Theonik

yeah, OT threads get weird and recommendations that often have nothing to do with what people ask for get dropped.

"I'd like something about high school romance that doesn't stray too far into harem antics."
"watch hxh 2010 and opm bro. thank me later."
They should be recommending Sword of the Stranger instead. The true right answer to every question.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People really want to be part of the conversation.

Theonik

People really want to be part of the conversation.
We should have some minimal tests for participation to certify posters are qualified you know simple stuff like 1) What is Makoto Shinkai's best film?
They are all bad, except Kimi no Na ha being OK.
2) What is the best Evangelion female?
Asuka, Rei fans are probably registered sex offenders.
etc etc.

Taruranto

I gave up recommending stuff unless it's a very specific request, my Princess Tutu, Terra e and Fantastic Children
watch these show people, they are great
just get drowned in the sea of OPM, HunterxHuntert and Jojo.

I still try to get people to watch Rakugo since at least it's recent.

Sengoku Basara 11

As the build up to the climax, this was a rather clumsily directed episode. Its juggling of different characters in different locations was not deftly handled, and the editing felt rather jarring. The use of Sawano's soundtrack also caused problems with how suddenly and sharply the episode switches between different music with different moods. Still, the twist on the historical events at Honnoji and the as always over the top behavior of the characters were entertaining. I particularly liked the surprise glider that Kasuga's whistle turned into, somehow.

Wakamoto playing Wakamoto is probably what captures most attention from the voice acting in here, understandably so, but I'm also fond of the hammy acting given by Kazuya Nakai and Souichiro Hoshi to Masamune and Yukimura. Between Masamune's crude Engrish and Yukimura's passionate earnestness, they chew the scenery to just the right extent to sell their scenes.

Cornbread78

or just decent characterization shown in the past.

Also sorry for always asking in this thread, i'd way rather get recommendations from you guys than slowly searching through millions of potentials elsewhere.
(though MAL's recommendations are great I have already closely checked the recommendations of everything I rated over a 5.)

Try this one:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/3731/Itazura_na_Kiss

Have consumed every single thing Clannad related, thank you though.
Edit:might be approaching rewatch time in the next month or two.

Or even:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1530/Kanon_2006?q=Kanon

Cornbread78

Magical Girl Raising Project ep.9
Dafuq... Die, die, die.... everyone die horrible painful deaths! That battle was pretty cool and I'm glad the OP bitch is dead, but where's the story? Who/what is Fav? Who is really responsible for this "game" and how does Cranberry really tie into everything.. but wait there's more....
Poor prego Top Speed is gone, sister Mary hung herself
and now we have to whiddle down 3 more girls... WTF. Hopefully, it is Swim's crew that all die together..

JulianImp

Magical Girl Raising Project ep.9
Dafuq... Die, die, die.... everyone die horrible painful deaths! That battle was pretty cool and I'm glad the OP bitch is dead, but where's the story? Who/what is Fav? Who is really responsible for this "game" and how does Cranberry really tie into everything.. but wait there's more....
Poor prego Top Speed is gone, sister Mary hung herself
and now we have to whiddle down 3 more girls... WTF. Hopefully, it is Swim's crew that all die together..

...I think you might want to watch some more Gosick now if you haven't finished it already.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 33

Hot springs episode! With no fanservice, because this is a kids show of course. Laura seems to finally be getting back on track and realizes she needs to forge a path for herself before she can think about beating Yume. Lily is the best mentor. Yume is still intent on killing herself to become top idol apparently. And we learn who super secret tragic idol is. Moroboshi's older sister! Duh duh duh.

Is anyone having trouble logging into crunchyroll? The site's saying that neither my username or email address exists, not sure if my account's been hacked (I repeat passwords between websites and lots of websites have been alerting me of unauthorized access over the past few months) or if they're just having server issues.

Narag

Is anyone having trouble logging into crunchyroll? The site's saying that neither my username or email address exists, not sure if my account's been hacked (I repeat passwords between websites and lots of websites have been alerting me of unauthorized access over the past few months) or if they're just having server issues.

Logged in just fine.

Do you have caps lock on?

I had few *crunchyroll is having problem* pages, but it stopped now.

Edit: Never mind it's still crashing

Sengoku Basara S1 12

Now that's a climax. Everyone comes together for the final battle against the big JRPG bad who is explicitly called the ultimate incarnation of evil. Lots of flashy animation and cool effects. Pretty much exactly how you would want a show like this to end. It's a silly show overall, but it's entertaining because instead of being strictly self-serious it embraces its silliness (though it could have gone even farther in that direction). The generally high level of animation is key as well, since this is an action series where you want it to be as constantly flashy as possible. The characters are not particularly interesting as sources of meaningful drama, but as I've mentioned before the hammy acting helps to sell the show as solid pulp entertainment. I'm hopeful for season 2, since it sounds like that's going to be a tighter product overall.

Shame on Funimation though for reducing the scenes that play out during the ending credits to a tiny box while giving most of the screen over to their dub credits. It made me feel like I was watching one of those broadcast TV shows where they scrunch the ending of an episode off to the side so they can efficiently preview whatever else they want to do. I don't care about English dub credits, but I don't mind them being included as long as they don't replace the original Japanese credits or interfere with the actual episode, both of which Funimation has done with their disc release here. Thumbs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom