• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

This thread reminds me why it suck to live in small country (Finland) as a anime fan. No chance that Your Name comes to theathers here...

That we even have these screenings in the U.K. is mostly the result of one party who thinks it's good and important for it to happen batting his head against the problem until something actually sticks. That Your Name is doing well is great, but that comes from a history of screenings being released under the expectations of breaking even at best (and taking any losses as advertising expenses - cinema screenings are good for wider perception).

The best we've gotten where I am in the US is a reshowing of Spirited Away next weekend. I had to go into Boston just to see Harmony and Godzilla.

Wow, we also got the movie in Argentine cinemas earlier this year, so I guess whoever handled the distribution just had it sent to as many countries as they could.

The only difference is we aren't even guaranteed to get Ghibli movies in theaters around here...
Yeah. Were pretty puzzled how it suddenly was in theathers around here so it makes sense that it got wider WW release at the same time.

That we even have these screenings in the U.K. is mostly the result of one party who thinks it's good and important for it to happen batting his head against the problem until something actually sticks. That Your Name is doing well is great, but that comes from a history of screenings being released under the expectations of breaking even at best (and taking any losses as advertising expenses - cinema screenings are good for wider perception).

Well hopefully your theathers will continue to get more films and have some succeed so maybe distributors get more courage to release those films elsewhere too. We don't need even dubs around here as people have gotten used to subtitles since childhood.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm afraid to watch more Fafner because I'm unsure if anything in Exodus will live up to 14-15. :(

Quick note about 14(?) apparently they aired 14 early to a live audience as a premiere and cut out the ending. They saved the ending for broadcast.

Absolutely savage.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
My Magical Girls can't Possibly be this Edgy - #9
To me, Calamity Mary was the only antagonist that was actually any fun, since Swim "what would Ruler do?" Swim is way too expressionless and boring, and Cranberry is a mystery that, given the show's track record, we'll only get to understand not through clever foreshadowing or slowly piecing things together, but rather through some awful, ham-fisted exposition montage that the cast probably won't even get to see themselves (that or a Bond villain speech, I guess).
For me Calamity Mary is one of those situations where they lift the veil on the villain in some attempt to humanize them but what you find underneath deserves no sympathy. "Aha, this horrible murderer was an abusive alcoholic mother the whole time! Don't you feel sorry for her?" No..not really. Even beyond that she has no real hook...she just guns stuff up. Swim Swim at the very least cooks up some kind of scheme. The animation and fight choreography are so bad that direct confrontation in the show are usually just embarrassing to watch.

Quick note about 14(?) apparently they aired 14 early to a live audience as a premiere and cut out the ending. They saved the ending for broadcast.

Absolutely savage.
From what I remember, even
the voice actor for Hiroto didn't even know, since the script didn't mention it and the scene wasn't shown during his recording. Just said his last, hopeful words and left without knowing why he wasn't called back to the studio for a while.

Jesus ever loving christ how horrifying.

Wait until you see Mimikyu. That little shit is a walking nightmare.

Getsuyoubi no Tawawa 08

pc6coog.jpg

Dentist propaganda, smh. Look at those eyes, clearly just going to harvest organs

zulux21

loot crate is running a cyber monday deal with code CYBERGEEK on their vault

the code gets you half off the prices shown in these pictures

aka each would be $17.50 with free shipping in the US ($10 over seas if I read things correctly)

if you go to the actual vault you can read in more detail what is in what.

I personally got the duel one for the ace attorney case and jojo hat and squadron for the Gate Tshirt :p

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus - Episode 16

God damn it.
People talk about how Sein and Nicht are the cursed machines, but with
Mamoru, Hiroto, and Olga dead, anyone that even gets in the cockpit of Mk. Funf ends up getting killed eventually.

But the best is yet to come.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yup, it's like the writers didn't get a thing about what made Madoka interesting aside from "it had magical girls suffering". I wasn't an avid anime watcher back then, but I wonder if the same thing happened after Evangelion turned the giant robot genre on its head...

Not only is this exactly the thing that happened to, really, the entire spectrum of mecha after Eva but that trend lasted a good decade before tastes changed back around.

phaze

Soul Eater 40

It's baffling how everyone knew about Steins' issues yet didn't bother to effect any stronger action to help him when it was clear he's still slipping.

Enjoyed the brief window of vulnerabilty that Medusa showed off here. It showed that she's not the completely perfect mastermind always in control of things but a calculating individual like any other with her own insecurities.

New ED is edgy asf.
aka great of course.
022398eeufr.jpg
022393mnuai.jpg
0223944uu3a.jpg
0223953tulp.jpg

Nooooo not the frog.

Overall this is an extremely strong work OP&ED wise, I struggle to think of another of that length that could compare. Although I guess with just two openings it's cheating a bit.

Wanderer5

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 #9

Damn, Dazai and Chuuya were so much fun in this episode, from their quite amusing conversations, to a bit of nice teamwork that lead to victory against Lovecraft (who continued to be pretty out there, through I was kind of expecting a bit more heh).

duckroll

Overall this is an extremely strong work OP&ED wise, I struggle to think of another of that length that could compare. Although I guess with just two openings it's cheating a bit.

FMA, E7, FMA:B all have solid OP/EDs. There's a reason they sold the OP/ED collections with booklets and DVDs with clean versions.

phaze

FMA, E7, FMA:B all have solid OP/EDs. There's a reason they sold the OP/ED collections with booklets and DVDs with clean versions.

Won't disagree about them being solid (especially Eureka) but SE's openings are nearly godlike to me. Only Brotherhood's Again is in vicinity of those. Admittedly I don't remember much of their EDs outside of, again, Brotherhood's first but that's mark against them of its own kind.

e_i

Funi has just announced that TDoSH is coming in the first half of 2017.
That's The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi

pbayne

How can xamd be frustrating when it has one of the most amazing op songs.

Can't deny they aren't hella catchy.

Yup, it's like the writers didn't get a thing about what made Madoka interesting aside from "it had magical girls suffering". I wasn't an avid anime watcher back then, but I wonder if the same thing happened after Evangelion turned the giant robot genre on its head...

Madoka isn't or rather hasn't been that influential on the genre as a whole though.

Trickster Episode 9 – Fallen Hero

OMg are we really doing this?!

Please let Kobayashi save Kensuke in tons of ways. Powerful episode.

Also 1 Hope Sniper is one of my fav ED songs this season.

Bubuki Buranki - 21

I am honestly stunned this was the end result. I thought for sure Epizo had saved her and everything was going to be alright. Instead she got mindbroken and brain death from the attempt to make her a Buranki brain. Fucking bullshit. She didn't even get to appreciate the moments she was able to walk because of her abject horror that she was trapped in.
Azuma is a shitty fucking hero I swear to god.

Aki-at

This thread reminds me why it suck to live in small country (Finland) as a anime fan. No chance that Your Name comes to theathers here...

It's not like we get anime films that often in the UK anyway, before this it was The Wind Rises... and I'd have traded all these anime films for one showing of Shin Gojira ;_;

Aww shiet... I bet this iteration was as menacing as the original, haha

I love how
everyone's muzik was combining into some massive clusterfuck and Bach just plays the opening notes of it and total silence follows. Not the full version, I can only guess they're saving that for the finale.

Dynedom

Oh shit. Duckroll about to hit up Episode 17 of Exodus?

Yessss

Bones is pretty much the best in the industry when it comes to OP/EDs.

Even when their series are straight garb, you can always rely on a sexy OP/ED.

edit: Also, all this talk about Magical Girl Raising...isn't the most direct comparison Mai Hime?

Hunter x Hunter '99 Episode 33

Its not enough that they use one Imp sound effect, they use them ALL

Doom and Star Trek sound effects just instantly pull me out of the show lmao

Sengoku Basara S1 13 (OVA)

Content-wise, this is merely some side characters engaging in some machinations immediately before the big battle against Oda as depicted in episode 12. Appropriate content for a bonus episode, but not on the face of it terribly interesting in itself. However, this episode's direction is the most interesting out of the entirety of the season. The general standard of direction in the show has been competent but not especially noteworthy, a solid ground to show off wild action animation but not visually engaging outside of that. This episode featured much more interesting shot choices, a dynamic camera even in simple dialogue scenes, and stronger photography and overall aesthetic execution. It also has stronger non-action character art than anything previously. Though, strangely enough, it also has weaker non-action character art than anything previously. It's ambitious, but that ambition does lead to some inconsistency. Besides the couple moments of weak animation, there were some bewildering and nonsensical action cuts as well as an over-reliance on Dutch angles. Still, it made me sit up and take notice. The new characters of Chosokabe and Mori are efficiently and effectively characterized, and compelling enough that I hope to see more of them in season 2. This episode was storyboarded and directed by Shin Itagaki, and it's the best work I've seen him do. With the exception of Teekyuu, of course.

Cornbread78

Gosick ep.22-END
So many more inages I'd love to post, but I'll spare the potential spoilers. What can I say, that ending was simply beautiful.... Playing off the strong mystery elements of the show, they kept me guessing what was going to happen until the very end. They also managed to nail the theme of the show they had been carrying frlm the beginning in regards to Victorica and Koujo... Excellent job... This was pretty good even with some added drama along the way!

Narag

Sengoku Basara S1 13 (OVA)

Content-wise, this is merely some side characters engaging in some machinations immediately before the big battle against Oda as depicted in episode 12. Appropriate content for a bonus episode, but not on the face of it terribly interesting in itself. However, this episode's direction is the most interesting out of the entirety of the season. The general standard of direction in the show has been competent but not especially noteworthy, a solid ground to show off wild action animation but not visually engaging outside of that. This episode featured much more interesting shot choices, a dynamic camera even in simple dialogue scenes, and stronger photography and overall aesthetic execution. It also has stronger non-action character art than anything previously. Though, strangely enough, it also has weaker non-action character art than anything previously. It's ambitious, but that ambition does lead to some inconsistency. Besides the couple moments of weak animation, there were some bewildering and nonsensical action cuts as well as an over-reliance on Dutch angles. Still, it made me sit up and take notice. The new characters of Chosokabe and Mori are efficiently and effectively characterized, and compelling enough that I hope to see more of them in season 2. This episode was storyboarded and directed by Shin Itagaki, and it's the best work I've seen him do. With the exception of Teekyuu, of course.

Oh so that's where they're from. No wonder I felt like I missed something and yes, you'll see a ton of them.

JulianImp

For me Calamity Mary is one of those situations where they lift the veil on the villain in some attempt to humanize them but what you find underneath deserves no sympathy. "Aha, this horrible murderer was an abusive alcoholic mother the whole time! Don't you feel sorry for her?" No..not really. Even beyond that she has no real hook...she just guns stuff up. Swim Swim at the very least cooks up some kind of scheme. The animation and fight choreography are so bad that direct confrontation in the show are usually just embarrassing to watch.

But having a hammy villain is better than having the taciturn blob of nothingness that is Swim Swim as the girl the MC must watch out for (because Cranberry's obviously not going to get moving until the final episodes, anyway). Like, Mary might've had some cheap and dumb characterization, but Swim got absolutely nothing outside of being a little girl who's easily influenced, making her plans and whatever a snooze-fest. Watching her say or do anything is boring because of her dull personality, and all we're getting from her is that she's ruthless and that the only reason she'a gotten this far is that everybody has been underestimating her and her cohorts. The MC is especially guilty in that regard, because she's being put in a carboard Madoka characterization where she's just unaware of what's going on around her while also attempting to take the pacifist route amist a bunch of people out to kill each other.

And yeah, the fights are downright painful to watch. The Ripple vs Mary part was pretty meh (especially the "I can't attack her directly" part when we had already been shown that Ripple could throw trash overhead and have it perfectly hit the trash can she aimed for), but what takes the cake for me last episode was how Swim Swim's attacks all looked like they had no weight behind them, which was odd given that she was wielding some kind of polearm. The ways the fights are coreographed and the characters' powers used are a sad and unispired mess for the most part, and that plus the fact that the characters are underdeveloped and that it's hard to actually care about any of them makes this into a bad show all-around (story, characters, fights, animation... heck, not even the soundtrack's memorable).

Not only is this exactly the thing that happened to, really, the entire spectrum of mecha after Eva but that trend lasted a good decade before tastes changed back around.

It's really sad when that happens, because it's like everyone jumps into the me-too bandwagon and tries to leech off of the success of a genre-changing series, only to cling to the dumbest and most superficial aspects as if they were some kind of gospel to follow to the letter, without actually understanding the decissions that led to particular themes or tropes being used and/or subverted.

Madoka isn't or rather hasn't been that influential on the genre as a whole though.

Is that so? Then what was the original "edgy magical girls are now in" series?

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Episode 20

The one about 100 was incredible, I love that sound effect, and Kaidou being such a fan boy is the best.
CyZNGU_XgAAxHeN.jpg:small

Cooking the crepe was my favorite after the ones with Toritsuka, but why was he in regular shoes and pants :(

CyZMJ-iWIAAzuOw.jpg:small

So the story aspect of this new season of Euphonium isn't holding up.

Is the show holding up production wise at least? Does it look as good as season 1?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
But having a hammy villain is better than having the taciturn blob of nothingness that is Swim Swim as the girl the MC must watch out for (because Cranberry's obviously not going to get moving until the final episodes, anyway). Like, Mary might've had some cheap and dumb characterization, but Swim got absolutely nothing outside of being a little girl who's easily influenced, making her plans and whatever a snooze-fest. Watching her say or do anything is boring because of her dull personality, and all we're getting from her is that she's ruthless and that the only reason she'a gotten this far is that everybody has been underestimating her and her cohorts. The MC is especially guilty in that regard, because she's being put in a carboard Madoka characterization where she's just unaware of what's going on around her while also attempting to take the pacifist route amist a bunch of people out to kill each other.
It isn't like Calamity Mary is lighting up the screen with crazy one liners or playing up some kind of goofy role. It's second tier VA with no strong support. There was nowhere else for the character to go after this shootout and she already overstayed her welcome. Swim Swim has room for growth and her underhanded tactics and moments of betrayal serve as stronger highlights for the series. From a writer's perspective this is the only reasonable avenue.
So the story aspect of this new season of Euphonium isn't holding up.

Is the show holding up production wise at least? Does it look as good as season 1?
It's KyoAni. It is consistent as a production but the cinematography/storyboarding are beyond underwhelming.

Cornbread78

Dennou Coil ep.1
With Gosick it was finally time to boot up this one. The art style is different (I've seen butt-faced dog all over the place before,) but I kinda dig it and the OP is great! The characters sound pretty lively, so hopefully, they make the series a fun one to watch. I don't get much of what is going on yet, but more to come, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom