• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Busaiku

Is No Game No Life Zero watchable if I didn't watch the series?
A local theater is showing it, so I'd check it out if so.

15070536397475euks.jpg

You guys will never learn it.

-

I also bought a bottle of Umeshu for a Plum Splet, only a cute OL is missing.

cheesekao

Is No Game No Life Zero watchable if I didn't watch the series?
A local theater is showing it, so I'd check it out if so.
Technically speaking, it's a prequel so it'd be fine but you may not know who one or two of the characters are and may also miss a few subtle hints. Fair warning though, most of the action scenes are in the final act of the movie so if you're not a fan of a lot of talking then this movie may not be for you.

Wait it seems like Tokyo Ghoul re may not be after the events of the second season.

Source
https://mobile.twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/915943224400683008

The website says that it's being announced two years after Root A. So maybe they will reconn everything in Root A and follow the manga.

Edit: Still not optimistic, but we do know the manga timeskip takes place 3 years not 2.

I would bet that it’ll ignore the previous anime and go off the :re manga. That often happens for anime adaptations of sequel manga.

I would bet that it’ll ignore the previous anime and go off the :re manga. That often happens for anime adaptations of sequel manga.

We might get a Black Butler situation.

Honestly my biggest worry is the staff. I just hope they change it especially the director. Who knows though it may be the same staff.

Cornbread78

Just Because ep.1
Oh my. This was a treat. Everything is just starting, but the presentation was excellent and I really liked the OST and they way they captured the little moments in the character interactions. In short, this was good; really good in subtle kind of way. I hope they keep this up for a full season!

I read most of the King's Game manga and I didn't really enjoy it. I can skip the show. I like horror/mystery/fucked up things just fine, but meh.

Would yours be loving KEY?

You can't boil me down to that. I have very sophisticated tastes. :D

I mean it's his key feature

Huehuehue.

I have more to offer than my love of KEY and Kyoto Animation.

I don't think he even watched Rewrite.

Doesn't mean I won't love it. (I was busy the season it came out. Hence why I don't think I posted in that season's thread. I've been meaning to watch it. But it wasn't written by Jun Maeda, so... I'll get to it.)

Friends don't let friends watch KEY shows.

KEY shows are great. If friends are preventing you from watching KEY shows they aren't your friend.

Harsh statement. You boys got rougher sincr I fucked off for a whipe

AnimeGAF has seen stuff... It's hardened them.

Jex

[The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl]

Did you enjoy the The Tatami Galaxy? Would you care for a film set in that same world, but even zanier and more frenetic? Then you'll probably enjoy The Night is Short, Walk on Girl. I certainly did. (I'll just refer to it as "The Night is Short" if you don't mind). It's probably worth noting up front that while this movie shares some characters from The Tataxmi Galaxy, it is in no way part of the same story as that show.

The Night is Short follows the story of a man and a women (each unnamed, in classic Tatami Galaxy fashion) who are involved in a series of ridiculous, occasionally romantic, adventures over the course of a single night in Kyoto. In a similar way to the Tatami Galaxy, The Night is Short takes what seems like a fairly standard idea and then layers in absurdity, literary references, trickster gods, musical numbers and, of course, the triumphant return of Johnny. It took me awhile to get into the rhythm of this movie because it doens't really adhere to the beats of traditional narrative stories, but once I was over that hump I started to really enjoy the story. While the 'plot' feels slight, there's a thematic richness to the text that touches on fate, love, isolation, anxiety and ultimately on the way in which humans are connected to each other.

What's really remarkable about the movie is how much of a piece it feels with Tatami Galaxy. It feels like this movie could have come out the year after Tatami Galaxy was released. To some extent that shouldn't be surprising because the film is based on a novel by the same writer as the Tatami Galaxy, it features characters from The Tatami Galaxy, it has the same director, script writer, same musical band and character designer. But it's more than that. The movie retains many of the stylistic elements of the series such as the rapid-fire line delivery, the same colour design, the use of internal monologue and all of Yuasa's trademark, highly subjective visual metaphor where the world itself reflects the emotional turmoil of the characters. Considering how difficult it is in to keep teams of people together in the anime industry it's remarkable that they managed to so effortless recapture the same style as the The Tatami Galaxy.

Where the movie parts most dramatically from the direction of Tatami Galaxy is in the movie's pacing and kineticism. There is almost no downtime throughout the entirety of The Night is Short, for better or worse. It is full blown Yuasa wackiness right from the first minute and it only gets wilder and more unhinged as it develops. I went back to re-watch The Tatami Galaxy and the direction in that series is sedate and reflective by comparison. Yuasa's cinematography is so unchained in this movie that I forgot that he'd just made a relatively restrained series such as Ping Pong. The energy level that this movie builds to and maintains is more reminiscent of Mind Game. I don't think this will be to everyone's taste, especially those who are fans of Yuasa's more sedate works. I liked it, but I still thought the movie could have done with some time to breathe and it took me a little while to get on board with the visuals that Yuasa was hurling at me.

While I enjoyed the movie I still feel it could have used a bit more polish. The movie needed some breathing room to allow you to acclimatize to the characters and the world. Certain scenes showed the tell tale signs of being shot in a manner to make them cheap, whereas I would have preferred to see them animated in full. The presence of 'flash style' animation in places may distract some, I didn't have an issue with it because most of the movie looked great and featured tons of interesting movement. Even with these minor quibbles, I am really grateful that Yuasa (somehow?) gets to make movies like these, which appears to have zero commercial value, in the year 2017.

Ascheroth

Garo - End

Well I did not expect or even intend to actually finish this before Vanishing Line starts. Apparently I underestimated how good this was :p
It took me a while to watch the first few episodes but then I basically watched almost everything in a week...

Anyway, I sometimes thought that the soundtrack gives off Nier: Automata vibes and it turns out that those suspicions were well-founded, as the Garo soundtrack is also by MONACA. Which means it's fantastic, if those names don't mean anything to you (feel free to feel bad in that case).

I don't really have much to add as everyone is shilling for this show around the clock anyway, so I'll just add my voice to the choir and say, yes, this was absolutely fantastic, watch it.

Now on to the movie I guess.
And don't worry, I know that no season 2 exists.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't hear the expression "King's Game" without hearing it in drunk Rise Kujikawa's voice.

phaze

[The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl]

Did you enjoy the The Tatami Galaxy? Would you care for a film set in that same world, but even zanier and more frenetic? Then you'll probably enjoy The Night is Short, Walk on Girl. I certainly did. (I'll just refer to it as "The Night is Short" if you don't mind). It's probably worth noting up front that while this movie shares some characters from The Tataxmi Galaxy, it is in no way part of the same story as that show.

Yuasa on Yuasa sounds great. I was sold just by getting the same kind of aesthethic as TG but glad to hear it doesn't disappoint.

Oh yeah, ANIME SUUUUUUUUUCKS

(gotta get that in once every new thread)

Szadek

Konohana Kitan - Ep. 1
That was pretty cute.
I don't think that's enough to carry the show for 12 episodes, but I will keep watching for now.

Aiii

So not worth it
King’s Game - 1
Might be due to playing Danganronpa V3, but I am totally into this fear and despair killing game anime. First ep certainly didn’t hold any punches.

Just because! - 1
Now this was a home-run for me. Hits the melancholy of ending a chapter in your life just right. Perfect Fall Anime.

Cornbread78

King’s Game - 1
Might be due to playing Danganronpa V3, but I am totally into this fear and despair killing game anime. First ep certainly didn’t hold any punches.

Just because! - 1
Now this was a home-run for me. Hits the melancholy of ending a chapter in your life just right. Perfect Fall Anime.

Pretty much my reaction to both. King's Game was brutal from the opening scene forward

and Just Because had really good aesthetic, ambiance and tone to it..

Szadek

Juuni Taisen - Ep. 1
A battle royal anime with really good action?
I'm in!
It's edgy as fuck, but everything is so over the top that it kind of works.
Killing the boar in episode 1 is very good way of selling the idea that nobody is save.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I need to get Aguri's thoughts on endgame lootboxes.

jbug617

Banned
Just Because 1

I like this. I don't think the drama is going to get complicated but seems like there will be interesting relationships.

Top Bottom