• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

King's Game 1

So we get a fair amount of death game/battle royale anime. So with that in mind,I feel like shows have to do something to stand out. Juni Taisen gave us boar lady and bunny guy. (And maybe teen Genji by the look of things.) Now I'll admit I'm not familiar with the King's Game franchise, but I struggle to think of a more boring way a mastermind could give out orders in this type of story....

DLaj76_PXUAAGWw_W.jpg

...than by text message.

Through Bank Account Statements?

Puzzle & Dragons X Episode 65

Glorified recap episode with some random rankings, but it was funny.

Theyve also perhaps finally finished the ED dance sequence, Ace so awesome doing it, and when he does his wink thing, need. But there is still extra space for more characters to be added, so maybe its still incomplete.
DLan6F9X4AA6FYt.jpg:small
DLaoiukWsAEHkqF.jpg:small

Well, I asked my wife, who read them to review, and she thinks you might be thinking of something completely different. There's, like, two other King's Game manga/stories. The prequel to the current anime, and a second prequel/side story. One takes place in a classroom and another in a village.

As for the quality: I kinda see King's Game as one of those B-Movie Horror films. Like, it's not written very well, the characters aren't that interesting, but what you're really in it for is just to see people die in exceedingly bizarre and ridiculous ways.

Hm, looking through the original manga, yeah that definitely wasn't it. Now I kinda want to find what I read since I don't think I finished it, but can't find it anywhere lol.

Just Because! Episode 1

Haruto didnt have to get down to his underwear in that scene with Eita lol.

Otherwise it is at least more interesting than Tsuki ga Kirei at this point in time.

The blatant Canon camera advertising is a bit much though, terrible if thats the only way they managed to secure funding for actually getting this anime to be made.

Daemul

Just Because - Episode 1

This was actually alright. It has a comfy feel to it, but I expect drama eventually.

Like someone said though, it does feel like one of those anime which you keep up with for a few episodes at the beginning, miss a week, and then never go back to it again until after it's long finished airing.

Not everyone has to like it......there is definitely a negative way to interpret saccharine takes on years gone by that romanticize the high school experience.

I can see the merit in those negative interpretations, because honestly High School was boring and uneventful as fuck. College/University was where life got interesting and it has a much, much higher nostalgic value to me than my lame ass High School days.

King's Game Episode 1

Awesome, I love how they all thought he was joking around and such and then with 9 dead they randomly decide to gang up on him thinking he was at fault, then poof, Yuuichi, poor poor Yuuichi.

We already have a leading contender for best anime op/ed of the season here.

No Game No Life Zero

This was not like the show. The tone was different, not as light hearted. It was good though. The effects during battles looked really nice, probably the best part of the movie. The worst part was something outside of the movie. For whatever reason, they decided to play some 15-20 minute interview bs from the dub cast before the movie. Even though the movie was subbed. Almost fell asleep before the movie even started.

Cornbread78

Just Because! Episode 1

Haruto didnt have to get down to his underwear in that scene with Eita lol.

Otherwise it is at least more interesting than Tsuki ga Kirei at this point in time.

The blatant Canon camera advertising is a bit much though, terrible if thats the only way they managed to secure funding for actually getting this anime to be made.

Wait, are you complaining about male fanservice?

What did you think about this weeks ep. of Soma?

kewlmyc

No Game No Life Zero

That was a decent way to spend 90 minutes. Wasn't the biggest fan of the show, but this was so tonally different that I enjoyed it for the most part. Weakest part of the movie for me was the romance between the two leads. Kept escalating despite the two leads not really having any convincing interactions between each other to make me believe they were quickly falling for each other. This lead to the
proposal and marriage feeling unearned from both parties.

Other than that, if you somewhat liked the original series, then this movie does a good job showing the origins of the NGNL world. You will just have to sit through the most by the numbers "human and robot fall for each other" story for most of the movie, only this time she looks like a 11 year old girl. Everyone wins! :/

At least
seeing Jibryl be a complete and utter psychopath and straight up villain was pretty cool.

Chase17

Is there a conclusive point/distinction between Kekkai Sensen and Back 2 Back that Beyond should hit, or is the name change in the manga just since it switched magazines?

King's Game, Episode 1 - Yeah, I don't think doing badass one-liners after watching your classmate implode internally was an appropriate way to end the episode. lol

If you guys don't mind, just going to paste my scattered NGNL zero impressions right here...

ngnl zero was pretty weird. The animation was very pretty but the way it was paced, how the plot was structured, and how the two main characters interacted was very off.

I'm no animation expert, but the general "color-tone" of the anime is a lot more bleak than the one from the original NGNL. I didn't mind it though, and the apocalyptic animation fit in well with the dark tone of the movie. Also, the big anime fights were very pretty to look at, and seeing big explosions fit in well with showcasing the power of the gods.

That being said, a lot of plot seemed more like an ass-pull than anything else and was hard to take seriously with the dark, tragic atmosphere of the whole thing. Contrast this with original ngnl where its ass-pulls fit the general whimsical tone of the anime. After the climax, I was left with a big huh? Like I felt that the bittersweet ending wasn't deserved after the ass-pulls and the vague planning of riku and schwi. like it felt like some deus "ex machina." ha im hilarious. Where did that giant god at the end come from? what exactly did riku did to make the world happy? what role does tet play in all this and why did he just grant riku's wish(?) ?

It wasn't like end of evangelion where i just received a mindfuck, but i got enough to imply all the details of the movie. It felt more like an incomprehensible plot mess splattered with great animation to make it seem good. maybe im just too stupid to understand the plot idk

Riku's relationship with schwi was bordering on some weird line of pedophilia, and it never felt like their romantic relationship was genuine. Going from utter strangers and possibly enemies to lovebirds had me go through some major whiplash. This is made even weirder knowing that they are very similar to sora and shiro, so there is this awkward pretense of incest.

In a nutshell, the movie was very pretty, although structurally in terms of plot and characters, it is kind of a mess.

overall 6/10

character names 10/10 love me some awkward Engrish names

also, fuck sentai for wasting 20 mins of my time cringing at the dub voice actors talking about the movie, bordering on downright spoilers

daveo42

Banned
King's Game 1

What a bloody great first episode. The self-serious nature of the show just adds something a nice comical layer to just how brutal the game is. Hopefully it'll hold up the same level of death, gore, and tone going forward. This could be a fun watch.

blurr

ID-0 goes up on Netflix in about 20 minutes.

Hope this is my region too.

I recently had a chance to look at their anime catalogue through my colleague's account and it's still fairly barren, there are a couple I want to watch(Mushishi, Gunslinger Girl) but it's too few.

I suppose I'll pick Just Because! that sounds like something I would like and if anything there's good sakuga.

zulux21

Also an example of a concept dragged out way too long.

Should have ended with the first arc.

It's also an example where anime original endings can be better. The manga's takes everything that goes wrong with the series and turns it up to 11.

I actually like the clown arc, but the stuff after that is kind of meh.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I actually like the clown arc, but the stuff after that is kind of meh.

Taken as a whole, a world tournament, the arc isn't bad. But it sowed the seed for all that went wrong with the series.

The first arc kept things simple and "down to earth". This gave the reactions (which is basically one of the show's main gimmicks) as nice contrast, since they were anything but down to earth. But they ended that arc with the most over the top reaction and then more content needed to follow... whoops.

Then each character became more and more one note, the worst case being Kyousuke Kawachi - who went from knowledgable baker who was the only one to notice the crazy things Kazuma Azuma was doing to literally an over the top idiot who over the top reacts to everything. Heck, even the protagonist, Kazuma Azuma, became one note - just becoming a know-it-all jerk, which isn't the kind of growth you really want to see in this type of story, especially as baking should be nice (like it is in Great British Bake Off).

Been so many years since I've seen it and it is still one of the biggest disappointments I've had with an anime.

daveo42

Banned
ID-0 1

Everyone was robots.

I think there are enough hooks in this show to be interesting, but I have no clue if those will payoff by the end of the season.

duckroll

'Gyaru' is just the Japanese transliteration of the word 'Gal'

Okay but that doesn't mean the same thing in English. In the same sense, no competent translator should translate the Japanese "bitch" as "bitch" in English. The meaning is very different.

Surely you would not suggest that when translating Japanese to Mandarin, that blue is translated as green just because the kanji character is the same.

zulux21

Can someone recommend me some nice relaxing, slice of life romance anime?

I question myself if I can actually call it relaxing, but overall I found My Love Story quite relaxing due to how enjoyable the cast and romance was done.

interviews with monster girls isn't romance focused, but has romance elements, and likely fits better as a relaxing slice of life.

to be fair though in my head slice of life and romance are two completely different genres that can't really cross.

slice of life is focused on events of daily life
romance is focused on well.. romance.

if it is focused on the events of daily life involving the main characters dating or in love with each other, itstill would then be focused on romance, and thus be a romance, at least to me.

Top Bottom