• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The best part about Shoujo Apocalypse is that you can actually recommend it to people without getting skeevy looks once they take their clothes off (because they never do).

Kickz

Black Clover ep 1

mz174mB.jpg
iwJt9xc.jpg
Swlj318.jpg

Nice first ep, didn't mind Asta's voice as much as others.

The song at the end of the ep is a jam

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Ancient Magus' Bride Episode 1:

So here we have it, the great hype of the season and my current feelings are all over the map on this one. It has all the technical check boxes and the soundtrack is quite good. I suppose my problem with this show is I find the very core of the premise kind of vile and disgusting and I may end up walking away from this program because of it. Like I see what they;re going for in sum of this; Chise has had such a terrible life that she is selling herself into slavery on the chance of a good life and she just so happens to get a Beauty and the Beast situation with this idealized paragon of conservative patriarchal authority, Though Elias may be a critique of that archetype or his character growth may head into the direction of not being a sanctimonious shithead. It is not lost on me that while he allows for certain parameters of freedom and is clearly kind and polite, he is a slave-master who treats his object of desire as a pet, refers to her as a pet, decided on all of he actual pathways in life and so on and so forth. Also the sexual dynamics of this proposed coupling is all sots of wrong given that is comes across as a father want to fuck his daughter because of the current power dynamics and the ultimate prize of her existence is to get married to the stag. Yea, there was a lot to unpack with this show and I will give it a couple of episodes before deciding to keep on the train or not.

Narag

The Reflection 10

Need to finish this today I guess. It was good to see I-Guy let loose but holy shit where did this mental takedown of Eleanor come from? lol

why do you enjoy screwing around with me

Have you not seen all the shitty gifs that would get posted in here?

Qurupeke

The Ancient Magus' Bride 1

It was alright, the world it's trying to build seems very interesting. Chise is also a pretty good protagonist, who has certainly endured a lot. I suppose this show will be quite the pleasure when she starts to warm up, though I'm not sure what direction it's supposed to take. The Magus seems quite shady. Also, I was afraid this would have the "on your face" kind of manga humor, like Yona of the Dawn, but it's not that egregious. Hopefully they'll keep that tone.

Blend S Episode 1

Seems fun so far, gives off some Working! vibes with a twist, and I like all the main girls introduced so far. I think it’ll be funny watching the different character archetypes all working together.

Pingu is good culture.

Putting Pengu on MAL may have been a mistake lmao. It’s already number 3 on the top anime list and I feel like that ain’t changing anytime soon.

The Ancient Magus' Bride Episode 1:

So here we have it, the great hype of the season and my current feelings are all over the map on this one. It has all the technical check boxes and the soundtrack is quite good. I suppose my problem with this show is I find the very core of the premise kind of vile and disgusting and I may end up walking away from this program because of it. Like I see what they;re going for in sum of this; Chise has had such a terrible life that she is selling herself into slavery on the chance of a good life and she just so happens to get a Beauty and the Beast situation with this idealized paragon of conservative patriarchal authority, Though Elias may be a critique of that archetype or his character growth may head into the direction of not being a sanctimonious shithead. It is not lost on me that while he allows for certain parameters of freedom and is clearly kind and polite, he is a slave-master who treats his object of desire as a pet, refers to her as a pet, decided on all of he actual pathways in life and so on and so forth. Also the sexual dynamics of this proposed coupling is all sots of wrong given that is comes across as a father want to fuck his daughter because of the current power dynamics and the ultimate prize of her existence is to get married to the stag. Yea, there was a lot to unpack with this show and I will give it a couple of episodes before deciding to keep on the train or not.

I understand the sentiment because I was like you when I first was introduced to the manga and thought it would head into that direction, but luckily the author did not head into that direction. In fact I was pleasantly surprised the direction it took in a good way.

The thing with Chise and Elias dynamic is that they both help understand each other of the magic world and human world. Romance is really not that much of a focus in this series, but more of the world and it's characters. Plus all the other characters call out Elias for it.

This series won't head into those god awful Shoujo cliches.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I understand the sentiment because I was like you when I first was introduced to the manga and thought it would head into that direction, but luckily the author did not head into that direction. In fact I was pleasantly surprised the direction it took in a good way.

The thing with Chise and Elias dynamic is that they both help understand each other of the magic world and human world. Romance is really not that much of a focus in this series, but more of the world and it's characters. Plus all the other characters call out Elias for it.

This series won't head into those god awful Shoujo cliches.

That is good to hear actually.

rrvv

Bungoku Shojo (Movie)

This is such Fuwa Fuwa movie. I really like the character development in this movie despite limited time length.

Would REcomenede buy you need to watch prequel (Bungoku Shojo Memories) to understand the full story.

daveo42

Banned
Land of the Lustrous 1

So, this might change my opinion of 3DCG shows. This is the first time I've been astonished at how well a show like this looks. It also works in favor of the characters as (crystal) gems. The story tho...not so sure on if I'm all that interested outside of the mysteriousness of the enemy itself, which seems to be ripped out of some other series entirely. Sad that their entrance was the highlight of the episode for me.

Narag

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond 1

Checked this out since the last time I'd looked into the show speculation was this was going to be a more faithful attempt at adapting the manga rather than the sequel is apparently is. Seems like a step down all around compared to the first series but I'm going off what little I've seen (and I do intend to get back to this eventually) and it's been a while at that. Yutapon cut was really nice though. At least it looks like a crazy good time.

Chase17

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond 01
Fun show is still fun. Maybe not flowing as well as season 1 but that could change. Might have just felt odd at a couple points since they were reintroducing everyone.

X! Double X!

Ugh Bahamut: Virgin Souls ending was so unsatisfying. Just like S1, the first 75-80% is excellent and then it all falls apart in the end. WHYYY.

After the reveal that
Bahamut is still alive after all that shit
, all the deaths mean nothing. Just tragic endings for our beloved characters. I was especially pissed off that
Charioce just went about his business. Yeah hes blind now but hes still king and didnt have to answer for any of the crimes he's committed.

Just..so deflating.

MartyStu

I mean everything else is cool, but literally this one thing drags the whole experience down.

Don't listen to this person.

-The CG is weird, and bleh.
-The music is uninteresting
-The plot is nonexistent and sounds like it goes nowhere original
-Many of the character designs--especially some of the women--are questionable

Honestly, the shoddy camera work is among the least of this show's problem.

Qurupeke

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond 1
Not bad, but not as strong of a comeback as I hoped. There were a couple of scenes with ridiculously good animation though. As long as the show keeps being creative and fun with its stories, I'll keep watching. And maybe we'll finally get an episode dedicated on Chain.

daveo42

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond 1

The opening of the episode is what I wanted out of a new season. Hilarious, goofy, messy, well animated, and with a killer soundtrack. The rest of the episode was kind of a step down from the opening and an overall weaker episode than I think anything from season 1. Not a bad episode by any stretch, but not at the same level I was expecting. Still a fun watch and I'm excited for the new season.

Also, goodbye to the best ending ever...
1429216154_1319686682.gif

Sterok

Girls' Last Tour 1

Cute Girls Doing Cute Post-Apocalyptic Things. I don't know whether to love or hate the fact that you can easily categorize anime like that. Pretty simple overall with the two girls just wandering for supplies, with a bit of commentary on war and weapons. The sound direction was excellent and really carried the episode. Could be repetitive, or this could turn into something special.

Don't listen to this person.

-The CG is weird, and bleh.
-The music is uninteresting
-The plot is nonexistent and sounds like it goes nowhere original
-Many of the character designs--especially some of the women--are questionable

Honestly, the shoddy camera work is among the least of this show's problem.
You just don't understand 80s OVA schlock culture like I do

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hoozuki no Reitetsu Season 2, Episode 1:

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the first season and it is good that we are getting a return to the level hotheadedness so lacking in the modern era.

Kickz

Digimon Adventure Tri Dub ep 5

Well damn didn't know Ken was evil again, going off the two second look we got of him in the begining of the ep.

Other than that, nice bath house ep with some lewd situations,
confirmed Kari and TK are fucking
mjlol.png

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond 1

Hmmm, I don't know. Don't get me wrong, it's fine. Enjoyable.

The loss of Rie is immediately felt tho. Everything is a step down from the first episode of the first series.

Haly

Why is there so much watchable anime this season wtf aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jarmel

Banned
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

A sequel comparable if not better than its cult classic predecessor. I watched Deakins earn an Oscar and heard sound as oppressive as the visuals.

All those moments will be lost in time, like money funding a Blade Runner sequel.

Time to bomb.
Tears_In_Rain.png

mankoto

Garo: Vanishing Line - 01
I have a headache and feel slightly nauseous. To be sure though, this is like most toku shows where each show is unrelated to each other right?

Other than that weird camera, it seems pretty cool looking I'll give it that.

?

If I don't watch everything watchable how can I call people out for saying anime is dead? Live what you preach bruh.

Just do what I do:
Watch everything
Burn out
Try again next season.

At least this way you can tell people what was good from that season in particular.

Haly

Fortunately, just because something is watchable doesn’t mean you need to watch it. At least, not right away.

?

If I don't watch everything watchable how can I call people out for saying anime is dead? Live what you preach bruh.

Haly

Time to pull out the ol' Firehawk Challenge again.

For every anime firehawk doesn't watch I have to watch one more. It is the only way to maintain balance in animegaf.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Time to pull out the ol' Firehawk Challenge again.
For every anime firehawk doesn't watch I have to watch one more. It is the only way to maintain balance in animegaf.

DO IT lol

Speaking of anime:

Love Live notMuse S2 - 1
IT'S MIRACLE

I hope when they inevitably do a new show with the new girls, they don't have to save their school again. :p I also hope they don't just shy away from having the Avenger-style crossover that everyone wants and just go full Saki with it. lol

Oh yeah, what lewd best friends!
ok9ieh0l.jpg

Land of the Lustrous 01

Orange doing some great work on this. Phos is more expressive than I'm used to from CG shows, and the animation mostly flows pretty well. Setting seems interesting, and characters seem fun, so I'm looking forward to where this goes.

BluWacky

The Ancient Magus Bride 1

While I know this is technically shounen/seinen, the setup has the disconcerting feel of those slightly retrograde shoujo stories that build fantasies around teenage girls acting as slaves for mysterious men that fall in love with them; the repeated references to Chise as "my puppy" and the ending scene were a little discomforting.

While hardly a spectacle, it's a "good looking" first episode thanks to the bright, pastoral background art and attractively designed fantastical elements, and there's certainly competency behind the acting (which is pleasantly restrained even in the face of some occasional dodgy anime humour) and scoring; I particularly enjoyed the teleportation sequence midway through the episode, which evoked an appropriate sense of wonder on Chise's part.

How has this gained such popularity as a manga? Is it to do with the art, or a soppy romance, or what? I don't say this incredulously, but from a place of ignorance.

Land of the Lustrous 1

I've not seen many 2D animators bother animating individual fingers, so CG has an advantage there!

Strangely, I want to like this less than I did, by virtue of its mildly irritating lead character (and my hopefully unfounded worries it will be unconvincing yuri bait). Yet every time I thought it was annoying me, the worldbuilding revealed another facet to wherever it is these Lustrous live, or a character was developed in an interesting way, or another shot was framed intriguingly (this has some really nice storyboarding, IMO).

Plus the baddies from the moon were like pretty versions of the Noein baddies, and I loved Noein.

Blade Runner 2049

Mesmerising. Long, but mesmerising. I must watch Blackout!

Qurupeke

Land of the Lustrous 1

Really good. CG is great and the action certainly has its moments. It might as well be one of the most competent shows this season. The characters are also very enjoyable, maybe a bit stereotypical though. Phos' energetic and clumsy persona is very charming and I can't wait to see more of her synergy with the redhead tsundere gem. If the story and character developments are decent, this might be one of the season's gems.

Why is there so much watchable anime this season wtf aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yeah, I didn't count what I wanted to watch and it's already double the stuff of the previous season...

The Ancient Magus Bride 1

While I know this is technically shounen/seinen, the setup has the disconcerting feel of those slightly retrograde shoujo stories that build fantasies around teenage girls acting as slaves for mysterious men that fall in love with them; the repeated references to Chise as "my puppy" and the ending scene were a little discomforting.

While hardly a spectacle, it's a "good looking" first episode thanks to the bright, pastoral background art and attractively designed fantastical elements, and there's certainly competency behind the acting (which is pleasantly restrained even in the face of some occasional dodgy anime humour) and scoring; I particularly enjoyed the teleportation sequence midway through the episode, which evoked an appropriate sense of wonder on Chise's part.

How has this gained such popularity as a manga? Is it to do with the art, or a soppy romance, or what? I don't say this incredulously, but from a place of ignorance.

Partially the art and partially the fantastical depictions of the magical world in which Chise has found herself. The series doesn’t really go along the soppy romance path you might think it would from the opening.

Top Bottom