• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Lemon Angel Project 1

IN THE FAR FUTURE OF 2017! A plot point is them using VOCALOIDS instead of REAL IDOLS

The main girl's voice is rather..... whew. I'm not a fan to simply put.

The Ancient Magus Bride 1

While I know this is technically shounen/seinen, the setup has the disconcerting feel of those slightly retrograde shoujo stories that build fantasies around teenage girls acting as slaves for mysterious men that fall in love with them; the repeated references to Chise as "my puppy" and the ending scene were a little discomforting.

Shonen or josei, the author is a woman, so that can bring some stereotypes form the shojo world.

mankoto

Girls Last Tour - 01
If I can feel emotionally attached to characters this quickly and they pull a stunt like that there's a problem.

Jarmel

Banned
1st minute of Kekkai Sensen Beyond-

I see Leonard actually remembered his sister is blind and instead of sending a letter, he recorded something. Progress!

yall making me want to watch the new bladerunner, but I've been apprehensive because I wouldn't believe that Ryan Gosling's wooden acting could be anything but a malfunctioning replicant.

Kickz

Digimon Adventure Tri Dub Ep 6

htoTnux.jpg
dpQHGwi.jpg
TgYPJX6.jpg

Joe is in some depression funk,

̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶M̶i̶m̶i̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶J̶o̶e̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶z̶z̶y̶ ̶s̶c̶o̶l̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶

trejo

Girls' Last Tour 1

Wow, this is incredible. Not sure about the longevity of the premise, given that only two characters exist in this world, but it's a truly magical beginning.
Any chance you could expand a bit on what makes this so magical? All I've seen or read about this makes it sound like little more than two cute wide moeblobs doing cute wide moeblob things amidst a bleak post-apoc backdrop which for all intents and purposes comes across as the very definition of meh to me.

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond Episode 1

First episode has everything I loved about the first season in it. It was funny, outrageous, stylish, and the soundtrack was dope af.

pbayne

Garo: Vanishing Line - 01
I have a headache and feel slightly nauseous. To be sure though, this is like most toku shows where each show is unrelated to each other right?

Garo as a series actually focuses a lot on continuity where youll get multiple movies/sequels/spin-offs dedicated to one knight.

Anime seems completely unrelated expect for the obvious markers like the armour, zaruba etc

Andrew J.

Ancient Magus Bride 01

15 years old, huh...would it have killed someone if Chise had been, like, 20?

It seems that WIT is taking a break from making human(oid) faces creepy in Attack on Titan by making monster faces cute and appealing here.

Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond 01

All the chaos and crazy action is back, baby! It does seem like the backgrounds are less dense with detail, but it doesn't feel like a huge downgrade, either.

Ascheroth

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond 01

Oh how I missed all the wackiness and delightful chaos and insanity of Hellsalem's Lot.
Well, it's back! That was a great opener.

MartyStu

Ancient Magus Bride 01

15 years old, huh...would it have killed someone if Chise had been, like, 20?

It seems that WIT is taking a break from making human(oid) faces creepy in Attack on Titan by making monster faces cute and appealing here.

Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond 01

All the chaos and crazy action is back, baby! It does seem like the backgrounds are less dense with detail, but it doesn't feel like a huge downgrade, either.

I have the same problem with the story. I find it pretty creepy.

Heres hoping that it zags instead if zig.

Kansoku

Blend S - 1

This was cute and quite funny. Kaho in particular is great.
I've also just realized that the name of the show ends in ドS.

Houseki no Kuni - 1

This was pretty good. I'm still not sold on the CG, even though there were some parts were it was really good. What matter though is that I'm finally understand what is going on. Tried to read the manga before and couldn't andersonita shit. Maybe I should go back to it...

Mahoutsukai no Yome - 1

This one was pretty good too. I've also tried to read the manga but stopped early on (don't remember why tho). I don't remember being bothered much by the "kitty" stuff when I was reading the manga, but here it is a little grating. I know it gets better tho, so I~m looking forwards for when that will come.

The Ancient Magus Bride 1

While I know this is technically shounen/seinen, the setup has the disconcerting feel of those slightly retrograde shoujo stories that build fantasies around teenage girls acting as slaves for mysterious men that fall in love with them; the repeated references to Chise as "my puppy" and the ending scene were a little discomforting.

While hardly a spectacle, it's a "good looking" first episode thanks to the bright, pastoral background art and attractively designed fantastical elements, and there's certainly competency behind the acting (which is pleasantly restrained even in the face of some occasional dodgy anime humour) and scoring; I particularly enjoyed the teleportation sequence midway through the episode, which evoked an appropriate sense of wonder on Chise's part.

How has this gained such popularity as a manga? Is it to do with the art, or a soppy romance, or what? I don't say this incredulously, but from a place of ignorance.

Land of the Lustrous 1

I've not seen many 2D animators bother animating individual fingers, so CG has an advantage there!

Strangely, I want to like this less than I did, by virtue of its mildly irritating lead character (and my hopefully unfounded worries it will be unconvincing yuri bait). Yet every time I thought it was annoying me, the worldbuilding revealed another facet to wherever it is these Lustrous live, or a character was developed in an interesting way, or another shot was framed intriguingly (this has some really nice storyboarding, IMO).

Plus the baddies from the moon were like pretty versions of the Noein baddies, and I loved Noein.

Blade Runner 2049

Mesmerising. Long, but mesmerising. I must watch Blackout!

The reason why the manga has gotten good rep has to do with its great world building, characters, art, and fantastic magical design.

It's a good take on European folklore that you would rarely get from a Japanese manga. It's one of few great take on fantasy. Plus the romance isn't really a big part of the series like you are imagining.

The Ancient Magus' Bride 01

What the fuck. I refuse to accept that sleigh beggy is the official term and not slay vega.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu S2 01

Man this show has the best background art

mankoto

Non Non Biyori - 01
My friend has been begging me to watch this for a few years now. I should've listened sooner. Although this is definitely something I'd have to do before bed. I haven't felt this relaxed since Mushishi.

Non Non Biyori - 02
This show makes me feel complete in a way I never expected.

Any chance you could expand a bit on what makes this so magical? All I've seen or read about this makes it sound like little more than two cute wide moeblobs doing cute wide moeblob things amidst a bleak post-apoc backdrop which for all intents and purposes comes across as the very definition of meh to me.

Your wish is my command.

The cold open is cold indeed. White characters against black appear, beginning the credits with the original author's name. As the characters fade out I hear the slow dripping of water echoing in a large space. One drop, two drops. A white glow seeps in from the upper left and breaks apart into a single circle:

I hear a dull ring atop muffled background sounds: more dripping of water, the chugging of an engine. A water droplet breaks through the surface of the camera and falls deep into the distance:

only to hit some unseen surface and break apart into concentric circles of light:

Signs of life stir in our ears. Low breathing, thumping heartbeat. These sounds fade into a cold, bitter breeze blowing through a desolate land. I can dimly make out a twisted network of pipes and abandoned machinery.

Amidst the bleakness, the drops of water from earlier hide, hinting at the lingering of nature among the ruins of man.

A sound becomes audible in the background. Screws jangle on the ground. In this dead world, something yet lives. It is the tread of tank, a machine of war picking its way through the land with the beam of a shallow headlight as a guide.

Suddenly there are many beams of light shining in the darkness, each one illuminating a single kanji character. They coalesce in our first real view of how massive this labyrinthine environment is to reveal the title. This is Girls' Last Tour.

I could go on to gush about the rest of the episode, which keeps up the same level of inventive and atmospheric visual and sound direction seen in this opening minute and a half while adding charming characters with pleasantly loose animation and sustaining throughout a delicate blend of melancholy and playfulness. It is truly something special.

No one watch Two Car here?
Watched first episode i think it's pretty fine, and looks like it's focusing on racing part, also don't worry it doesn't comes with loot boxes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just Because! 1

Just Because! is an Japanese original anime television series by Hajime Kamoshida, the author of The Pet Girl of Sakurasou

How?????????????

Dristan

Neo Member
Is the first Garo anime really that good? I remember watching the first episode thinking it was just checking boxes and just never bothering with it again. Every time I see people talking about how great it is I can't help but think it's Gungrave all over again.

Moaradin

Is the first Garo anime really that good? I remember watching the first episode thinking it was just checking boxes and just never bothering with it again. Every time I see people talking about how great it is I can't help but think it's Gungrave all over again.

Yeah it's good, but it's a slow burn. Pays off very well though.

trejo

Your wish is my command.

The cold open is cold indeed. White characters against black appear, beginning the credits with the original author's name. As the characters fade out I hear the slow dripping of water echoing in a large space. One drop, two drops. A white glow seeps in from the upper left and breaks apart into a single circle:

I hear a dull ring atop muffled background sounds: more dripping of water, the chugging of an engine. A water droplet breaks through the surface of the camera and falls deep into the distance:

only to hit some unseen surface and break apart into concentric circles of light:

Signs of life stir in our ears. Low breathing, thumping heartbeat. These sounds fade into a cold, bitter breeze blowing through a desolate land. I can dimly make out a twisted network of pipes and abandoned machinery.

Amidst the bleakness, the drops of water from earlier hide, hinting at the lingering of nature among the ruins of man.

A sound becomes audible in the background. Screws jangle on the ground. In this dead world, something yet lives. It is the tread of tank, a machine of war picking its way through the land with the beam of a shallow headlight as a guide.

Suddenly there are many beams of light shining in the darkness, each one illuminating a single kanji character. They coalesce in our first real view of how massive this labyrinthine environment is to reveal the title. This is Girls' Last Tour.

I could go on to gush about the rest of the episode, which keeps up the same level of inventive and atmospheric visual and sound direction seen in this opening minute and a half while adding charming characters with pleasantly loose animation and sustaining throughout a delicate blend of melancholy and playfulness. It is truly something special.
Yeah but where are the boobs tho?

Just kidding, thanks for the write up. I might give it a shot after all.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous 01
So much to like here. Hibike! Euphonium fans might even get reeled in just to have another show where the lead makes a bunch of goofy faces and is voiced by an obstinate sounding Tomoyo Kurosawa. Really strong voice work across the board and it looks like it will only get better based on the characters still in the periphery. There is tons of cool stuff going on visually here, but the work with light and colors is probably the most notable, and definitely a good fit for the series.
The gem hair refracts light to color other parts of the character or the environment, and this finds itself extended out into the powerfully diverse color palette that the show uses. I'm sure some people will be very upset with the CG because it's not flawless, but it really does offer a lot to the show in helping it feel unique. Stuff like the incredible opening help illustrate the high number of moving parts the show can have at times, but these do not always translate well at low bitrates. This might actually be one of those shows where having a Blu-ray version is highly advantageous.

Jarmel

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond- 01
FUmPzd1.png
Bp3sciG.png

Return of the dick suck and shawty.
Yep definitely a step down on the storyboarding side. Visuals look about the same although I was surprised that they used footage from the first season. This is about as well as I can expect.
These assholes better not be teasing me.

Tunoku

Girl's Last Tour looked really fascinating in parts, but it feels pretty shallow. I'll keep watching it though to see where it goes at least.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Completed - Since my internet has been down this weekend, i've been relying on my phone data to keep me from being bored. Ended up finally watching the entirety of Nazaki-kun because I heard a lot of great things about it. This shit was hilarious. I think my favorite gag was Nozaki and Mikoshiba getting so enamored with the best friend character in the Dating Sim they were playing that they winded up drawing a BL Doujin dedicated to him.

Great cast of characters over all. Mikoshiba was definitely my favorite.

Himouto! Umaru-chan, Dropped - On the opposite end of the spectrum, I made it about 5 episodes in before I decided to bail. I wanted to see if this was worth watching since the second season is currently airing, but nope. The show misses the mark with the Jerkass Humor for me. In order for an asshole protagonist to work for me, they either have to suffer for equal parts or the character that winds up being the butt of their cruelty either has to have it coming or being exceptionally pathetic. Umaru-chan never hit either of those marks so I just couldn't stick with it.

Sandfox

I'm so glad that Cardfight Vanguard is bringing Aichi back as a main character. Chrono is fine, but nothing beats the original protagonist.

Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous 01

So much to like here. Hibike! Euphonium fans might even get reeled in just to have another show where the lead makes a bunch of goofy faces and is voiced by an obstinate sounding Tomoyo Kurosawa. Really strong voice work across the board and it looks like it will only get better based on the characters still in the periphery. There is tons of cool stuff going on visually here, but the work with light and colors is probably the most notable, and definitely a good fit for the series.

The gem hair refracts light to color other parts of the character or the environment, and this finds itself extended out into the powerfully diverse color palette that the show uses. I'm sure some people will be very upset with the CG because it's not flawless, but it really does offer a lot to the show in helping it feel unique. Stuff like the incredible opening help illustrate the high number of moving parts the show can have at times, but these do not always translate well at low bitrates. This might actually be one of those shows where having a Blu-ray version is highly advantageous.

This show is definitely gonna be dark horse of the season in terms of popularity. Which sucks because visually it looks good although some may not like the CG. It's definitely one of the shows this season I recommend to watch.

It sucks though that it's getting called a Steven Universe ripoff (crystals) by some even though the manga was made before it.

Top Bottom