• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed director says "We're working on" the RPG's combat after a lukewarm reception during the Xbox Direct

Nydius

It's good that they're taking constructive feedback to heart but this is the exact kind of thing that makes me believe the game will end up delayed to 2025. I'm sure what they showed was a few builds old but it looked super rough and not something I expect by fall of this year to be done and polished.

It's okay if they don't get right at launch they have until the PS5 port to fix it

Sir, I feel like we may need to start a GoFundMe for you so you can afford all the towels and new clothes you're going to need to clean yourself up after these last few days. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

RickMasters

Great news and good for them. This is why having standards and calling out is a good thing rather than being a fanboy and pretending everything is fine, the devs improve, we get a better game, we all win.
I agree. And this works especially when they listen which clearly obsidian are.

I’ve always liked them. And I might be one of the few people round here that liked the outer world and is looking forward to the sequel. One of Xbox best aquistions for sure.

RickMasters

Same thing happened with Starfield.

Final game plays pretty good. Their initial showing was even worse than this.
Hey! We ain’t allowed to say we like starfield Around here

*whispers* : psst…. I think the game is good but I’ll wait till that shattered space DLC to start a proper play through. Bethesda games are never that good at launch. They get good good after hey patch the shot out them… i just play other games in the meantime 😅😉

RickMasters

at the risk of being wrong….. I’m gonna bet this turns out to be a good, solid, obsidian RPG, with a great story. It’s all I want and need from them. That and a good proper AAA production values.

*whispers* : psst…. I think the game is good but I’ll wait till that shattered space DLC to start a proper play through. Bethesda games are never that good at launch. They get good good after hey patch the shot out them… i just play other games in the meantime 😅😉

I will also allow them to work on the game a bit more before starting another play through. Am playing Fallout 76 right now and its pretty good as well. So best to play their games sometime after launch.

As for Outer Worlds, i thought it was decent. I assume Obsidian is under impression that Outer Worlds is good due to good critical reception and sales. So they keep comparing both games.

They have no idea here on Gaf there is an army of Outer Worlds haters.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never mind the combat. I dont expect any RPG to have perfect twitchy controls like playing Ninja Gaiden or DMC. But change the awful yellow guy voice overs. RPGs are supposed to be heavy into plot and characters, and having a college dude talking in a fantasy game is so out of place.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Some of the clunkiest, boring looking combat I've ever seen

Ahhh, so my eyes didn't deceive me, good to know! I don't know if that's enough to make a good game but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Pro-tip to Xbox fans: one reason your plastic box is in the position it's in is because of your startling lack of ability to criticize mistakes made, blindly follow wherever Papa Phil leads you and never *ever* have a single negative thing to say about the Xbox brand (though in light of recent developments some are suddenly whistling a different tune). I love PlayStation all day long but I will happily call out bullshit and lay blame when it's deserved, period.

Anyway, who knows what will ultimately happen with this game now 🤷‍♂️

I find it amazing that developers can spend years working on a game and dump untold millions into a project without realizing that it looks like garbage. In July of 2020, it was announced that Halo Infinite would be launching before that Christmas. They ended up delaying it an entire year, but they had no idea that it was trash until it was revealed to the public. Even with the year delay, it still fell short in many areas. You can't "fix" something like a game's combat system in the eleventh hour. Avowed is going to be a mess.

DrMano

Neo Member
whats with all the hate?
I loved the outer world and personally can't wait for their take on a medieval themed game similar to it.
people need to temper their expectations more; not everything will be new vegas...

So ...you havn't played enough yet to realize how truly bad Starfield is. It's really bad by Bethesdas own 'bad at launch' standards. I don't see how they'll be able to fix it either. Every facet of the game (other than visuals) is worse than other Bethesda games and the bad exploration is baked into the design of the game.

mrqs

Looks like a possibly pretty cool RPG. It all depends on systems and writing. I trust Obsidian, and they were an indie-sized dev for many, many years, so I didn't expect too much on graphics/animation tbh.

Raven117

Work on the dialogue system instead. After CP77 and BG3 what was shown wont pass at all.

Might try it after discount on PS5 if they address these issues, we’ll see
Which, from the studio that did alpha protocol, this is insane. This is not that obsidian.

Last edited:
How is everyone judging quality of writing based on a single conversation?

Anyone comparing it to Outer Worlds should play DLCs for that game. Much better writing than base game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
whats with all the hate?
I loved the outer world and personally can't wait for their take on a medieval themed game similar to it.
people need to temper their expectations more; not everything will be new vegas...
Well many people strongly disliked outer world and this game sound less and less ambitious for every news we get.

Let's just say that the game doesn't exude extreme confidence for now.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Talk about thread necromancy.

That being said, even to this day project looks like an unwanted child. Avowed is clearly a salvage operation from the failed bigger game and Obsidian’s heart is clearly somewhere else.

In every interview, the studio sounds very excited about this project. From every indication, they locked in the scope during pre-production, which is perfectly normal. No reports of reboots or development difficulties.

lol @ ‘unwanted child’. You guys crack me up.

Klosshufvud

Wow the preview build was several weeks old? SEVERAL? Because we all know nobody accomplishes miracles in mere weeks like the champs at Microsoft Game Studios.

My guess is that the dev studio, like many others, has fostered a climate of safe speak and nobody was able to point out how laughably sloppy the combat looked until it hit public eyes. It's not a first time it happened.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wow the preview build was several weeks old? SEVERAL? Because we all know nobody accomplishes miracles in mere weeks like the champs at Microsoft Game Studios.

My guess is that the dev studio, like many others, has fostered a climate of safe speak and nobody was able to point out how laughably sloppy the combat looked until it hit public eyes. It's not a first time it happened.
They have the pre-built excuse that obsidian has always been shit at making combat and that rpgs don't need good combat like action games...

I always thought these type of excuses are lame af, if your game has a lot of combat, you have to make it good or don't make a fucking game with combat in it.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

This game is still off my shopping list after seeing more of it in June,as i said in February in this thread, there is zero hype for this game and i can see why, and i really liked The Outer Worlds for what it was and Avowed is nothing like TOW to me, even though it's the same company or maybe people who've made it, i'll check it out on release but at the minute it's a no.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Talk about thread necromancy.

That being said, even to this day project looks like an unwanted child. Avowed is clearly a salvage operation from the failed bigger game and Obsidian’s heart is clearly somewhere else.
rick james cocaine GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
So like just about every game before its launch? That included Redfall.

Their excitement for a project is expected (it's their baby), and meaningless to the quality of the end product.

Tell that to the fellow who claims ‘their heart isn’t in it’ and ‘the game is an unwanted child’.

We’ll know how it lands quality wise when reviews or hands on impressions come up.

DrMano

Neo Member
Well many people strongly disliked outer world and this game sound less and less ambitious for every news we get.

Let's just say the game doesn't exude extreme confidence for now.
well thats certainly news to me. I played TOW spacer's choice just last month and enjoyed it for what it was. The scope was limited for sure but i thought it was a tightly'knit game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
well thats certainly news to me. I played TOW spacer's choice just last month and enjoyed it for what it was. The scope was limited for sure but i thought it was a tightly'knit game.
Really? Because i can't think about a topic here on gaf regarding that game that didn't had controversial opinions about it except maybe the first days of the ot with the honeymoon effect in full swing (i thought the game was good for the first hours aswell).

The scope was not the problem btw (it is more of a problem with awoved because people thought it was obsidian skyrim).

Last edited:

DrMano

Neo Member
Really? Because i can't think about a topic here on gaf regarding that game that didn't had controversial opinions about it except maybe the first days of the ot with the honeymoon effect in full swing (i thought the game was good for the first hours aswell).

The scope was not the problem btw (it is more of a problem with awoved because people thought it was obsidian skyrim).
then certainly its a problem with the fans and their expectations?
why assume the outer worlds = space new vegas, avowed = obsidian skyrim??

the studio explicitly said that these are smaller games with smaller budgets and shorter playtime. What am I missing here?
btw i'm not that frequent on neogaf.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I know I'm gonna get Ozriel and co. mad but :

This project is the definition of soulless,It really feels like Obsidian had to present something, anything really as their "next project" due to contract obligations and this is the result...
It was presented...how.many years ago now ? And yet, it feels like they really don't know what they're trying to do, like everything is still not in place and they're scramming as to have something presentable come release day - I agree with the user that said like "their heart isn't in it®".

It's like having some jumbled thoughts about how/what a product should be but you're not exactly sure how it's gonna materialize properly/get there.

IMO, it has terrible art-direction, awful characters (from what we've been shown so far) and as for the gameplay, well, we know how it's going so far...

This reeks of yet another mediocre/subpar release from MS and Co. that ain't gonna lit the world on fire (again) - and that's the best possible scenario, worst one is yet another game with the same quality of Redfall where it's plagued by bad tech/performance, bad/mediocre combat, story and so on so forth.

IMO, people shouldn't hold their breath about this one, it reeks of "generic" and undercooked and I don't give 2 shits that Obsidian is involved, I mean, hell, look at how Redfall turned out to be and that was from Arkane , another beloved studio (Austin division, but still).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
then certainly its a problem with the fans and their expectations?
why assume the outer worlds = space new vegas, avowed = obsidian skyrim??

the studio explicitly said that these are smaller games with smaller budgets and shorter playtime. What am I missing here?
btw i'm not that frequent on neogaf.
I think someone posted something said by microsoft or obsidian that were promising a big scope and the game seems to be in kinda of a development hell, not as much as something like the new rare game but not smooth sailing neither, so the project was probably downsized a little.

Every news we have about the game is about missing features and when you get acquired by fucking microsoft people expect for the scope and ambitions of your game to grow, not to shrink.

Last edited:

DrMano

Neo Member
I think someone posted something said by microsoft or obsidian that were promising a big scope and the game seems to be in kinda of a development hell, not as much as something like the new rare game but not smooth sailing neither, so the project was probably downsized a little.

Every news we have about the game is about missing features and when you get acquired by fucking microsoft people expect for the scope and ambitions of your game to grow, not to shrink.
true, but didn't they retract that and said that the game would be the same size and scope as the outer worlds a few weeks back? Why all the bitterness for an inoffensive upcoming singleplayer game?

The way i see it they are being punished for being transparent (something thats sorely lacking in this rotting industry) by entitled gamers up their own heads.

GymWolf

Gold Member
true, but didn't they retract that and said that the game would be the same size and scope as the outer worlds a few weeks back? Why all the bitterness for an inoffensive upcoming singleplayer game?

The way i see it they are being punished for being transparent (something thats sorely lacking in this rotting industry) by entitled gamers up their own heads.
Dude almost no dev lie about the size of their games, they are not more onest than any other dev out there.

Hell, most developers gave a shorter estimation of their games duration to not get called out by gamers after the release or because they don't consider how autistic (in a good way) gamers are.

I think people are still mad because they were expecting the very, first full fledged triple A game from obsidian now that they had microsoft behind, and instead we have another unambitious, relatively small title and contrary to what you think, outer world was all except an overwhelming success loved by everyone so there is some fear when it comes to obsidian now.

DrMano

Neo Member
Dude almost no dev lie about the size of their games, they are not more onest than any other dev out there.

Hell, most developers gave a shorter estimation of their games duration to not get called out by gamers after the release or because they don't consider how autistic (in a good way) gamers are.

I think people are still mad because they were expecting the very, first full fledged triple A game from obsidian now that they had microsoft behind, and instead we have another unambitious, relatively small title and contrary to what you think, outer world was all except an overwhelming success loved by everyone so there is some fear when it comes to obsidian now.
All well, guess we'll have to hope it pleasantly surprises us then,

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They've actually been saying that for over a year now. Not sure why people keep sticking to the Skyrim comparisons, even the devs distanced away from them a long while ago.

CEO Feargus Urquhart told me that in scope Avowed is more akin to Obsidian's past RPGs like The Outer Worlds in size than it is a sprawling open world a la Skyrim, though that was actually Obsidian's initial pitch. When the developers sat down and focused on what Obsidian does best—stories and companions, in particular—the more compact scale came naturally.

Last edited:

Hudo

GAF hates it.

I'm in.
I also want to like it. I didn't care for The Outer Worlds because I just couldn't get into the setting and style of humor. But I do like the Pillars of Eternity setting and I do like good first-person melee combat. I don't expect it to be on par with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic in that regard but I doesn't need to be as long as it feels good. They still have time to work on hit responses of the enemies and make each hit feel satisfying. I will still wait for reviews/Youtube footage tho.

Top Bottom