• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed director says "We're working on" the RPG's combat after a lukewarm reception during the Xbox Direct

GymWolf

Gold Member
I also want to like it. I didn't care for The Outer Worlds because I just couldn't get into the setting and style of humor. But I do like the Pillars of Eternity setting and I do like good first-person melee combat. I don't expect it to be on par with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic in that regard but I doesn't need to be as long as it feels good. They still have time to work on hit responses of the enemies and make each hit feel satisfying. I will still wait for reviews/Youtube footage tho.
It's kinda wild that our expectations on combat are below what was achieved by a 15 years old game like dark messiah...

Hudo

I mean, it's not only with first person action rpg, it's the same with fps, 90% of them still has worse gunplay than fucking fear 1...
Now that you mention it like that. Yeah. Huh. Weird.

Although I have to mention Titanfall 2!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Now that you mention it like that. Yeah. Huh. Weird.

Although I have to mention Titanfall 2!
I played that one and sorry but the gunplay is not even close for my taste (also the game was stupidly easy even on hard).

Fear is way meatier.

Last edited:
I know I'm gonna get Ozriel and co. mad but :

This project is the definition of soulless,It really feels like Obsidian had to present something, anything really as their "next project" due to contract obligations and this is the result...
It was presented...how.many years ago now ? And yet, it feels like they really don't know what they're trying to do, like everything is still not in place and they're scramming as to have something presentable come release day - I agree with the user that said like "their heart isn't in it®".

It's like having some jumbled thoughts about how/what a product should be but you're not exactly sure how it's gonna materialize properly/get there.

IMO, it has terrible art-direction, awful characters (from what we've been shown so far) and as for the gameplay, well, we know how it's going so far...

This reeks of yet another mediocre/subpar release from MS and Co. that ain't gonna lit the world on fire (again) - and that's the best possible scenario, worst one is yet another game with the same quality of Redfall where it's plagued by bad tech/performance, bad/mediocre combat, story and so on so forth.

IMO, people shouldn't hold their breath about this one, it reeks of "generic" and undercooked and I don't give 2 shits that Obsidian is involved, I mean, hell, look at how Redfall turned out to be and that was from Arkane , another beloved studio (Austin division, but still).

It looks bad which is a shame because I'm a huge POE fan. At the end of the day it really wasn't made for me though because I hate FPS melee combat. Even games that "do it right" still aren't good enough for me. It's just a horrible way to do melee combat. It does have magic though which is what I did in Skyrim to avoid the melee combat so maybe that would work here for me.

It looks bad which is a shame because I'm a huge POE fan. At the end of the day it really wasn't made for me though because I hate FPS melee combat. Even games that "do it right" still aren't good enough for me. It's just a horrible way to do melee combat. It does have magic though which is what I did in Skyrim to avoid the melee combat so maybe that would work here for me.
Just use stealth and bypass as much combat as possible.

Hudo

I played that one and sorry but the gunplay is not even close for my taste (also the game was stupidly easy even on hard).

Fear is way meatier.
Just out of curiosity. What do you think of the gunplay in Halo 1, 2 and 3?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just out of curiosity. What do you think of the gunplay in Halo 1, 2 and 3?
Gunplay is a broad term, so it depends on where you put more weight.

Some people put more weight into aim system, mechanics, movements, weapon variety etc.

I put more weight on enemy reactions, death animations, gore, bullet impact, blood effects, ragdoll etc. So basically everything that happen from the moment the bullet touch the enemy to the moment when they lie down on the floor, so basically you can have the best shooting mechanics ever but if killing enemies in your game is not diversified and visually pleasing enough i'm not gonna rate your gunplay high.
I vastly prefer shooting enemies in rdr2 than gears of war because although gears has night and day better shooting mechanics, rdr2 has night and day better enemy reactions, ragdoll etc.

It has been a while since i played tf2 and the first 3 halo tbh so it's hard to tell, as a total package i vastly prefer halo but tf2 had 1-2 great campaign mission like the time related one.

Halo is peculiar, some enemies like the grunts and snipers (but especially the grunts) are just more visually satisfying to kill than elites\brutes, they react more, and the ragdoll seems less rigid, so it's an hard one to judge, the prometheans barely reacted to been hit so i fucking hated fighting them.

Last edited:
It’s concerning they didn’t mention the enemy AI. From the gameplay we have seen it looked meme worthy. Likewise, the dialogue seemed off but I guess we will have to see on that one.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

I also want to like it. I didn't care for The Outer Worlds because I just couldn't get into the setting and style of humor. But I do like the Pillars of Eternity setting and I do like good first-person melee combat. I don't expect it to be on par with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic in that regard but I doesn't need to be as long as it feels good. They still have time to work on hit responses of the enemies and make each hit feel satisfying. I will still wait for reviews/Youtube footage tho.

I have no issues with what I've seen, either combat or graphic style.

It's not going to play like Doom or have a cinematic graphics style and I'm just fine with that.

Saying a development process hasn't gone smooth is one thing, and even saying it's a mess is another, but the hyperbolic "What a FUCKING mess" is an exaggeration, that's why I specifically replied that way. Capiche?
Calm down, fucking, Tony Soprano.
sddefault.jpg

Go chill out and have a bite or something.

Ozriel

M$FT
I know I'm gonna get Ozriel and co. mad but :

This project is the definition of soulless,It really feels like Obsidian had to present something, anything really as their "next project" due to contract obligations and this is the result...
It was presented...how.many years ago now ? And yet, it feels like they really don't know what they're trying to do, like everything is still not in place and they're scramming as to have something presentable come release day - I agree with the user that said like "their heart isn't in it®".

It's like having some jumbled thoughts about how/what a product should be but you're not exactly sure how it's gonna materialize properly/get there.

IMO, it has terrible art-direction, awful characters (from what we've been shown so far) and as for the gameplay, well, we know how it's going so far...

This reeks of yet another mediocre/subpar release from MS and Co. that ain't gonna lit the world on fire (again) - and that's the best possible scenario, worst one is yet another game with the same quality of Redfall where it's plagued by bad tech/performance, bad/mediocre combat, story and so on so forth.

IMO, people shouldn't hold their breath about this one, it reeks of "generic" and undercooked and I don't give 2 shits that Obsidian is involved, I mean, hell, look at how Redfall turned out to be and that was from Arkane , another beloved studio (Austin division, but still).

Video Game Competition GIF by PeacockTV

I’d begun to wonder where you ran off to.

They started work on Avowed as their own IP, not tied to any contracted work with a publisher. At every showing or interview they’ve been crystal clear about their ambitions, the lore and what they hope to achieve with this game.

‘Generic’ and ‘soulless’ is quite the stretch, even for you. Especially for a developer with a very decent track record.

More warz BS, as usual.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Video Game Competition GIF by PeacockTV

I’d begun to wonder where you ran off to.

They started work on Avowed as their own IP, not tied to any contracted work with a publisher. At every showing or interview they’ve been crystal clear about their ambitions, the lore and what they hope to achieve with this game.

‘Generic’ and ‘soulless’ is quite the stretch, even for you. Especially for a developer with a very decent track record.

More warz BS, as usual.

I mean, you could always try to shill harder, that's fine by me.

This game looked like the definition of mediocrity since its inception, you like it ? You're interested in playing it ? that's fine.
What's also fine is people being skeptical since it has that "absolutely Generic Western RPG"look and feel®" to it from what it's been shown so far.

This is how forums work, people being allowed to express their opinions without the need to agree all the time - then again, others always have to resort to defend a product like their paycheck depends on it.

Love ya Ozzie, you sanctimonious Green defender

Nydius

Weren’t there rumors in the not-too-distant past that this game’s narrative and design got rebooted at least once, maybe twice? And now they’ve had to retool the combat at least once (and likely more than that internally)?

The more I hear or read about this game’s development, the more I’m skeptical it will be worth a damn. Almost feels like an Anthem moment for Obsidian where what we end up getting will probably be a bunch of elements thrown together in a slap-dash fashion just to make sure the game gets out by its deadline.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I think they should delay it and get the combat and dialog system up to snuff. Otherwise they'll be sending this thing out to be just another title in the Game Pass catalog that will be largely forgotten after a month.

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean, you could always try to shill harder, that's fine by me.

This game looked like the definition of mediocrity since its inception, you like it ? You're interested in playing it ? that's fine.
What's also fine is people being skeptical since it has that "absolutely Generic Western RPG"look and feel®" to it from what it's been shown so far.

This is how forums work, people being allowed to express their opinions without the need to agree all the time - then again, others always have to resort to defend a product like their paycheck depends on it.

Love ya Ozzie, you sanctimonious Green defender

You know I understand your plight. You feel compelled to downplay these games to minimize the opportunity cost of trading in your Series X.
Normally this would be the time I'd be advocating you picked up a used Series S for cheap to play these games so you don't have to devote effort to shit on them...but perhaps you have a spare Fire TV stick 4K handy?

As for me? I'll be looking forward to playing Avowed on release if it's good. Won't touch it if it's poor. Happy with this arrangement where I get to play the games while you gripe.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I think they should delay it and get the combat and dialog system up to snuff. Otherwise they'll be sending this thing out to be just another title in the Game Pass catalog that will be largely forgotten after a month.

Why in the world would they need to delay it when they're getting in around 10 months of polish before release?

Weren’t there rumors in the not-too-distant past that this game’s narrative and design got rebooted at least once, maybe twice? And now they’ve had to retool the combat at least once (and likely more than that internally)?

They've never said they're retooling the combat. You've misread the article in the OP completely.

"Sometimes you can lose sight on the importance of the prioritization of some things," senior gameplay engineer Gabe Paramo said in an interview with Windows Central, while talking about how the team had planned to revisit combat later in development. "We thought [Avowed] was good enough to show as is... A lot of that stuff we knew we were going to get to before shipping." The mixed reaction made the studio revisit combat sooner than expected, though: "We just went, 'Okay, let's look at this, this is a big deal, people are noticing this, we should polish this sooner.'"

By their Summer showing, the combat was already looking more polished, with still more work to be done.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
You know I understand your plight. You feel compelled to downplay these games to minimize the opportunity cost of trading in your Series X.
Normally this would be the time I'd be advocating you picked up a used Series S for cheap to play these games so you don't have to devote effort to shit on them...but perhaps you have a spare Fire TV stick 4K handy?

As for me? I'll be looking forward to playing Avowed on release if it's good. Won't touch it if it's poor. Happy with this arrangement where I get to play the games while you gripe.

Hope this helps.

Man, it's like you experience physical pain when people aren't interested in your plastic box of choice or multi-trillion company.

It's a very curious case (to say the least), just in the last couple of pages you're replying to people trying to "correct" them about this game.

Don't know man, i find it to be unhealthy, told you many times before, let people express their opinions, you're not a mod for.you trying to police every "dissenting" opinion in here.

Ozriel

M$FT
Man, it's like you experience physical pain when people aren't interested in your plastic box of choice or multi-trillion company.

It's a very curious case (to say the least), just in the last couple of pages you're replying to people trying to "correct" them about this game.

Don't know man, i find it to be unhealthy, told you many times before, let people express their opinions, you're not a mod for.you trying to police every "dissenting" opinion in here.

Plastic box? I didn’t set up a powerful rig in all aluminum and glass NZXT H7 Flow case just for it to be labeled a ‘plastic box’.

More of an aluminum and glass cuboid than a box, tbh.
Sorry, I know you hate corrections, but you know I’m all for the facts.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Why in the world would they need to delay it when they're getting in around 10 months of polish before release?

If this is the state of two of the most crucial core systems after about five years of development, I'm unsure that they can retool them into something compelling, "good", and fresh in ten months while also still working on every other aspect of the game that still requires attention. I'd hate to see another Starfield - a pretty game with serviceable but dated and awkward mechanics because they were deadset on hitting a release date even after a long gestation period.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

The more I hear or read about this game’s development, the more I’m skeptical it will be worth a damn. Almost feels like an Anthem moment for Obsidian where what we end up getting will probably be a bunch of elements thrown together in a slap-dash fashion just to make sure the game gets out by its deadline.
Yeah, it is more likely to be a fart in the wind. Looks very mid in all aspects.

Remove Obsidian's name from it (past legacy) and Xbox's exclusivity (no more incentive for the evangelists), and nobody would by hyping it up or talking about it.

Top Bottom