• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Tizoc

I'd love to see Cadillacs & Dinosaurs develop more of a following. Easily my favorite beat-em-up of all time.

Freedom Planet would be a solid choice, too.

C&D and AvP were my childhood arcade jams, me and my brother would always play them when we went to the arcade <3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Approx. at what post count did the proposal happen :D?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
C&D and AvP were my childhood arcade jams, me and my brother would always play them when we went to the arcade <3

I didn't get to play any of Capcom's beat-em-ups in the arcade... didn't get to play them until Callus was in vogue in like... 1998. But yeah, C&D and The Punisher were my favorites, by far. AVP is great, but not quite on the same level.

I really should buy the PCBs for all of those.

Let's remember the awkward...
The Most Awkward Moments at AGDQ 2015: http://youtu.be/gaUfpou0MBI

Oh God, the one where the guy proposes to his (actually really cute) girlfriend and then's like "I'll hold onto the ring."

GUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I cringed so fucking hard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why did he hold on to the ring?

Speevy

Banned
I'm glad I got to watch the races of Ninja Gaiden and Megaman.

I'm more partial to runs that have the player moving extremely fast or fighting really well.

Although I was initially blown away by the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask runs, I think I've seen those games run enough times that it no longer holds much appeal for me. Sadly (or perhaps luckily), games don't usually ship with glitches that allow you to trick every rule the game has into thinking you are doing something that you aren't, like warping into the end of the game.

Chris R

So does anyone have a "must watch" or "best of" this marathon? Already watched a few runs but would like a nice list of others to check out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My guess is so she had an opportunity to come back down to earth after the shock of the moment and reaffirm her "yes" without the pressure of 130,000 sets of eyes on her.
In the comments to that video, he says he was afraid the ring wouldn't fit her finger.

Speevy

Banned
I saw a couple of arguments between runners. It's like they didn't realize that all these people were watching them act like buffoons.

Although I was initially blown away by the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask runs, I think I've seen those games run enough times that it no longer holds much appeal for me.
Funnily enough, the blindfolded OoT run was one of the few I actually thought was genuinely impressive and worth the time to watch without it starting to feel like a glorified 'Let's Play'.

Why did he hold on to the ring?
Quote from the runner on that video:
"I cant believe im explaining this again but whatever. I said Im holding on to the ring because I was scared the ring wouldnt fit on her finger. I didnt want to try and Jam the thing on her finger in front of 140k people. The ring does fit her finger. Sorry." - Jackafur Gabbiani

That proposal was maybe my favorite thing to happen during all of AGDQ. It was clear how happy she was about it, even if she was frozen solid for the rest of the run.

I love Mischief Makers, and it's just so rad to see a couple have a bond like that over it.

Also, the majority of that video was just mean. AGDQ's such a cool thing, let's not be dicks about it.

Speevy

Banned
I'm interested in the "donor's wife slept with runner" as in, how was this found out, and was there more footage/texts that proved this?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I feel like it's one of those things that can be looked up through Google if you're interested, but shouldn't really be discussed in the thread.

edit: you guys are free to do as you please, I just think it's in poor taste.

oh my god i watched the banjo run how did i miss that donation

and wow at actually reading that comment

The way that the comment was read out also sounded unintentionally sarcastic.

Like, the donator basically condensed his anger into the donation comment and it somehow got through to the person reading it or something.

EDIT: But yeah, this is in poor taste. I'll drop it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Too much nofunallowed and not enough Bonus?

I dunno why people expect fun. Fun goes out of the window when the event becomes this large and involves this much money, tech, staff and planning. Of course it was more fun and could go for longer unplanned periods when it was just a few dozen runners in a small hall.

Speevy

Banned
I feel like it's one of those things that can be looked up through Google if you're interested, but shouldn't really be discussed in the thread.

edit: you guys are free to do as you please, I just think it's in poor taste.

Yeah, I'm not out to derail the thread. People were talking about a video on the previous page, and it didn't seem evident from that video why the conclusion was drawn.

I don't know this person, and have no reason to ever think or talk about him again. It's just an interesting story from an event. No worries.

Velcro Fly

Fun is gone when you get that many stream monsters that will whine about everything that isn't perfect. Anyone who looks tired on stream or picks their nose on stream or anything on camera will be scrutinized from now until SGDQ. They pretty much have to make it as vanilla as possible so there won't be some huge backlash of complains about something dumb.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I wish Spooky would do another speedrunning stream. Kings of Poverty was a lot of fun. Something smaller, that would allow for a more relaxed atmosphere.

Yeah, I'm not out to derail the thread. People were talking about a video on the previous page, and it didn't seem evident from that video why the conclusion was drawn.

I don't know this person, and have no reason to ever think or talk about him again. It's just an interesting story from an event. No worries.

Nah, I get it. It's some juicy gossip, but also pretty messed up and inappropriate.

Just went back and watched the Tetris block. It's so goddamn crazy; they ramp up the difficulty to impossible levels and then ramp it up some more, repeatedly.

Definitely the biggest adrenaline rush I had watching this year, and I wasn't even watching live. Really wish I'd caught that one when it happened.

Tommy DJ

The sole redeeming thing about Caleb's shit throughout the Megaman X run was his $2,000 donation.

Fun is gone when you get that many stream monsters that will whine about everything that isn't perfect. Anyone who looks tired on stream or picks their nose on stream or anything on camera will be scrutinized from now until SGDQ. They pretty much have to make it as vanilla as possible so there won't be some huge backlash of complains about something dumb.

The only people I see getting lots of shit are those completely lacking in self-awareness and/or are completely unfunny or uninformative. There are a lot of runs where people are pretty chill and everyone seems to be having fun. Then you have guys like honorablejay (that guy during Batman) who constantly tell terrible video game logic jokes and don't know when to shut up.

What was this "SAY IT" thing about?

This.

To the question of "which games for the next stream"

Simple answer! More Game Boy games! I wanna see shit like, Wario Land and Final Fantasy Adventure and Donkey Kong and Metroid II and...

Weetrick

Can't believe its Monday, AGDQ is over, and I'm back to work. The runs were great and GAF chat was a lot of fun. Can't wait for summer games!

Ultimadrago

It just came to mind that the chat mods were much better this time around. Hardly knew they were there and no rogue bullshit. I saw more Twitch Staff/Cops than anything who, of course, are always a pleasure to interact with.

Septimius

Random comment - Puwexil sounds just like David X Cohen, executive producer from Futurama and host of every audio commentary for every episode on the DVDs. Must be a regional thing.

I found this post via google, because I was wondering if someone else thought the same thing. For the first half of the run, I so sure I knew the voice. Then I realized who he sounded like. Awesome that I'm not the only one.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm watching the Super Mario RPG run now. It's blowing my mind. I love it. I am learning so much about that game.

Also, what's the story with the asian kid in the frilly dress in the second row who was falling asleep 2.5 hours into it? He seems to have woken up now to watch the finale.

Oh, and I know I will look really stupid for asking but can someone explain the "Save/Kill the animals" thing? What was that for? What animals? What frames? What is going on? It was only partially explained in passing once in a random stream I've watched and I don't even remember what they said.

Oh, and I know I will look really stupid for asking but can someone explain the "Save/Kill the animals" thing? What was that for? What animals? What frames? What is going on? It was only partially explained in passing once in a random stream I've watched and I don't even remember what they said.

It's for the Super Metroid run. At the end, the player may slightly detour and destroy a wall allowing the tutorial critters to escape, costing the run a few seconds.

hqdefault.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's for the Super Metroid run. At the end, the player may slightly detour and destroy a wall allowing the tutorial critters to escape, costing the run a few seconds.

hqdefault.jpg

At the end of Super Metroid, you can take an optional detour to rescue the native animals of the planet before it blows up. The save/kill the animals bid war is whether the Super Metroid runner(s) makes the detour to save the animals.

Reasons to save the animals: It's the "nice" thing to do and, according to Metroid Fusion, it's canon

Reasons to kill the animals: This is a speedrunning event and the goal is to complete the game as quickly as possible, so you can "save frames" (frames of animation) by skipping this detour
I didn't even know about this at all. No one I've ever watched play the game has ever gone in there. So... did they end up saving or killing them? Wait, don't spoil it. I haven't watched that one yet. Maybe after LTTP.

That kind of explains it... wait no it doesn't. (Is he a streamer? Is it some sort of inside joke? I love inside jokes. I hope to be part of one some day.)

Ferrio

Banned
I didn't even know about this at all. No one I've ever watched play the game has ever gone in there. So... did they end up saving or killing them? Wait, don't spoil it. I haven't watched that one yet. Maybe after LTTP.

All previous GDQs they've been killed (so they wouldn't have gone to that room), watch this years vid and find out if they do again!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All previous GDQs they've been killed (so they wouldn't have gone to that room), watch this years vid and find out if they do again!
But why bother saving those frames? I mean is the player at GDQ really trying to get a world record at that very moment? Surely that can be done at another time. Just save the animals and show it off! Oh who am I kidding, they're always in "World Record" mode aren't they? lol

Learned a lot of new things tonight.

Top Bottom