• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

Tohsaka

I'm liking the game a lot so far, it is really loud though. I just died at the same time that I killed the third boss, which was funny; luckily it stayed dead. I'm hoping that there's a way to warp between save rooms or something later on, would make backtracking easier.

SerTapTap

Woo! 100%. Some of these are nuts. Just need to glitch all enemies (not sure how I missed this and am still missing it?). the <4 hours speedrun, and the no deaths run. ...so...still a long way to go basically. Oof, that deathless run...

I just had a hard freeze when I died. Had to restart the game :(

Yeah that happened to me twice in about 30 hours. Tom knows but hasn't isolated the issue.

Samus4145

Woo! 100%. Some of these are nuts. Just need to glitch all enemies (not sure how I missed this and am still missing it?). the <4 hours speedrun, and the no deaths run. ...so...still a long way to go basically. Oof, that deathless run...

Yeah that happened to me twice in about 30 hours. Tom knows but hasn't isolated the issue.

Nicely done. My mission for my second playthrough is to find everything. Can't say I had any lock ups, but I did send Tom a bunch of the boss glitches that he fixed.

Saint9806

This game is incredible. Only an 1.5 hrs in and I feel it's the best Metroidvania I have played in a long, long time. Better than Guacamelee and Ori and the blind forest in my opinion.

SerTapTap

Just as a vague hint, for certain (very few) collectables, you're going to REALLY have to think outside the box. Not only will drilling/walking into every wall in the game not be necessary, it won't even work because of a few more clever things. ...almost too clever in a couple cases. Look VERY closely.

Nicely done. My mission for my second playthrough is to find everything. Can't say I had any lock ups, but I did send Tom a bunch of the boss glitches that he fixed.

Yeah I sent him 3 glitches of the last boss, all pretty quickly fixed. I think I was the first to find at least one of 'em. I'll update my guide with the full map tomorrow and hopefully get the rest of the collectables on the map soon.

This game is incredible. Only an 1.5 hrs in and I feel it's the best Metroidvania I have played in a long, long time. Better than Guacamelee and Ori and the blind forest in my opinion.

IMO it's barely gotten started at 1.5 hours

I wish this was day 1 Vita, I'm excited by it but I don't know if I'll have a lot of couch time in the foreseeable future (and Bloodborne takes precedence)

Not really sure if jumping into another Metroidvania so soon after Ori is a great idea, but the praise is too hard to ignore. Guess I'm in. Wish the Vita version were already out though as this looks better suited for a handheld.

Kyuur

Played a little bit, it's good but not enjoying it as much as I had hoped I would. Defeated 2 bosses so far.

I wish there was some way to turn down sfx. :/ Also is the lack of health drops due to the fact I'm on hard? Whenever I get some it's barely enough to fill up 1/4 of the bar.

Weetrick

I've been getting super hyped about this game, especially reading all the great reviews. As soon as I got home from work I turned on my Vita to buy it... annnnnd it's not out yet. I didn't realize it was PS4 only for now. I don't own a PS4.
ell me everything is going to be alright GAF :(

SerTapTap

Played a little bit, it's good but not enjoying it as much as I had hoped I would. Defeated 2 bosses so far.

I wish there was some way to turn down sfx. :/ Also is the lack of health drops due to the fact I'm on hard? Whenever I get some it's barely enough to fill up 1/4 of the bar.

I wouldn't really recommend starting the game on Hard. Health drops are less frequent, give less health (I think), enemies take more damage to kill, you take less damage, and certain bosses are real ball-busters.

For reference, beating Hard with most items was a harder than beating the game with 29% items on normal. Since the game is about exploring normal is probably the best for everyone.

Xenthar

I wouldn't really recommend starting the game on Hard. Health drops are less frequent, give less health (I think), enemies take more damage to kill, you take less damage, and certain bosses are real ball-busters.

For reference, beating Hard with most items was a harder than beating the game with 29% items on normal. Since the game is about exploring normal is probably the best for everyone.

Was just wondering right now if I should go normal or hard. Guess I'll take the normal route for my first run. TIME TO PLAY, GOD THAT THEME SONG HNGGGGG

Volcynika

This game is soooooooo fun for me. Loving it so far. Wish the sound effects for like drill and such were a bit quieter, but whatever.

Suddenly stuck though, not sure where I can progress. Beaten 3 bosses so far, and
turned on the water filters.
. I got the
phase shifting through gates and high jump
, but I can't work my way back where I came where the gas pipes are, and all the paths I've seen take me to a place I can't progress in. Any tips to push me in the right way?

SerTapTap

This game is soooooooo fun for me. Loving it so far. Wish the sound effects for like drill and such were a bit quieter, but whatever.

Suddenly stuck though, not sure where I can progress. Beaten 3 bosses so far, and
turned on the water filters.
. I got the
phase shifting through gates and high jump
, but I can't work my way back where I came where the gas pipes are, and all the paths I've seen take me to a place I can't progress in. Any tips to push me in the right way?

The game will occasionally "trap" you like that to nudge you in the right direction. It's actually pretty cool--you can't leave most rooms with a powerup without learning to use it, and there's also some more major one-way things that don't open back up again for a while. You have what you need to proceed though. Think hard about what power you just got, and keep an eye out for where you can use it. Progress spoilers:
It's in the top of Kur I'm pretty sure. Remember you can go through ANY single tile wall you can stand next to.

As a more general hint, certain abilities in this game will force you to rethink the environment and how to react to it. It deliberately "tricks" you into thinking it'll be a pretty standard Metroid affair but there's some curveballs. Also, the map occasionally lies about where walls are.

Volcynika

The game will occasionally "trap" you like that to nudge you in the right direction. It's actually pretty cool--you can't leave most rooms with a powerup without learning to use it, and there's also some more major one-way things that don't open back up again for a while. You have what you need to proceed though. Think hard about what power you just got, and keep an eye out for where you can use it. Progress spoilers:
It's in the top of Kur I'm pretty sure. Remember you can go through ANY single tile wall you can stand next to.

.......oh dammit. Haha.
I totally tried to drill a 1 tile wide wall and then went WELP CAN'T GO THIS WAY.

SerTapTap

Yeah, you're supposed to think that's a dead end--quite a few tricks like that. There's some really clever stuff going on with the environments. Makes me wonder if there are any intentional sequence breaks. Traversal spoiler:
I have NOT found any sequence breaks for major items, just some minor collectables, and a couple of entirely skippable traversal items I initially assumed were required

Stoze

Really enjoying it so far, only one thing annoyed me regarding a secret that I found relatively early on...

I found a wall I could walk though and entered a "secret world". I made some progress in it but died a few times, didn't like where my save point was so I went down a bit further to find a new one. Next thing I know I couldn't get back up. Now it's like a few hours later, and even with the higher jump I still can't get back over to that area.

I can't help feeling like I could've gotten a really rad item in there that I could've been using all this time.

Kyuur

Restarted on easy, really enjoying myself now. Kur has amazing music.

Edit: Holy crap, randomly found
Firewall in a wall! Awesome to find non-expansions hidden too.

Xenthar

Damn, just got to
Absu, second area I guess

Its definitely the 2D Metroid I needed after Super Metroid and Zero Mission/Fusion, but at the same time it clearly is something else, not just a clone. Like, you're that
generic scientist guy
getting badass weapon/upgrade in some unknown world. You can pretty much relate to him way more than Samus
since he's just some random guy wondering wtf is going on and even asking for help and direction to a fuckin monster, first boss
. Samus? She's a badass female bounty hunter killin shit all day,
She's used to that shit

This is so good. I just re-realised how much I love the metroid formula and how much I need more the more I play. That atmosphere, that mysterious music ambiance, that sense of loneliness. So good.

Please, Nintendo, if not on tomorrow direct, Show us some metroid love at E3. Tears of joy will be shed all over the place.

kevin1025

Banned
This game is SO GOOD. I'm two bosses in so far, and I'm having a great time. I'm going to try and get all the pick-ups, but after finding one by accidentally drilling the floor in a normal spot and it was pretty deep in, it seems pretty daunting. The music is incredible. Great work all around.

Kyuur

Just beat the third boss
Uruku
. Awesome fight. Got the
Lab Coat
, so cool. Was driving me crazy how to get that health upgrade before haha.

I cry everytime I see a small tunnel. Why can't Axiom crawl. :(

pastrami

So far I'm enjoying the game a lot. I just found the
drone
upgrade. But does anyone else feel like the jumping physics are a tad off? It's like the apex of the jump has an abrupt change in velocity. Could just be in my head, I'll look into it more tomorrow.

Also, while I dig the aesthetics, it can be a tad noisy which can make it hard to differentiate walls from the background.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Bought this because fuck Nintendo's treatment of Metroid and because it looked awesome as hell.

Kyuur

One of my favorite things in these types of games is the moment when you (location spoiler)
reach the surface.
. I always go:

4JvGgfB.gif

Seems I can't go any further in this direction though. Time to backtrack.

Xenthar

I cry everytime I see a small tunnel. Why can't Axiom crawl. :(
There has to be some glitch upgrade to do so? What if whe could just actually glitch some glitch upgrade to crawl glitchin'? WE'RE AXIOM FOR FUCK SAKE, LET'S DO THIS.

Philthy

But does anyone else feel like the jumping physics are a tad off? It's like the apex of the jump has an abrupt change in velocity. Could just be in my head, I'll look into it more tomorrow.

I was in amazement how well he got the jumping so perfect. I was rocketing up the platforms like I was back when I was 14 again. It's one of the very first things I noticed in the game.

I'm tempted to sit on the floor in front of the TV cross legged and play till 5am.

What's a good time to stop watching the GB Quick Look? I can't play this thing till it's out on PC.

Jeff says when he's about to load up his end game save with the upgrades. Everything before that is literally the first 30 minutes of the game and he gives some good hints (like L1 locks you in place). I stopped watching then since I wanted to find out about the end game abilites myself.

4 hours in and it's probably the best Metroidvania game I've played since....IDK, Shadow Complex? Just feels really good with great music/ambiance, interesting use of the environment, and a good pace to the upgrades. Bosses are fun as well. And the way everything explodes is really satisfying- like Resogun voxels tier satisfying.

Good stuff.

Mudron

Okay, I've got the first (I think) five weapons -
the purple Nova, red Axiom Disruptor, blue Multi-Disruptor green Kilver and the drill
- and have explored the crap out of both regions of the map available so far, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go next. I must be missing a wall I can destroy or something.

Any tips?

Tom Happ deserves to be a millionaire. I'm counting minutes to a launch on Europeaen PSN so i will be able to buy this gem and help him get what he deserves. Gaf, let's make this happend!

Still, i'm not sure when i will start playing this for real #because_BloodBorne

I just found my first
secret world
. I didn't even know it existed, was super cool. I don't even want to glance at the trophies at this point since there's apparently all these things I don't know.

Nirran

Just got to the fourth boss and have absolutely no clue how to fight this thing.
I get one shot off on the face and he closes it and from than one i can't do any damage with any weapons I've tried. I managed to do some by jumping into him and using the electric waves but without taking 25% of my health I can't hurt him.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Just picked this up today. Trying to juggle this and Bloodborne. Also thinking about picking Pillars of Eternity before Witcher 3 comes out. Halp GAF! I'm drowning in awesome games.

The music in this game is so good.

Yup, it's already available in Europe. Since midnight...Still i don't see any discount - in Poland game cost 75 zl /around 19$ or 18,3 Euro/ - pretty hefty but yeah, good game is always worth money.
Bought!

Just got to the fourth boss and have absolutely no clue how to fight this thing.
I get one shot off on the face and he closes it and from than one i can't do any damage with any weapons I've tried. I managed to do some by jumping into him and using the electric waves but without taking 25% of my health I can't hurt him.

Nova

Is it possible to become helplessly stuck in this?

I "glitched" into here with the lab coat:
http://imgur.com/l6um981
And there seems to be no way out

That happened to me once. You'll need to quit and load up your save. It'll ask you if you want to save before going back to the menu. I'm pretty sure if you do save you'll still spawn at the most recent check point with your progress.

bede-x

That happened to me once. You'll need to quit and load up your save. It'll ask you if you want to save before going back to the menu. I'm pretty sure if you do save you'll still spawn at the most recent check point with your progress.

Will do. Thanks, even if it sucks. Hope it gets patched.

Top Bottom