• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Teknoman

Not interview related, but on the subject of Star Fox SNES:

You can change to a normal view point in the space stages by pressing select.

Not interview related, but on the subject of Star Fox SNES:

You can change to a normal view point in the space stages by pressing select.

I know, I actually like the cockpit view for the space stuff until there are shapes coming at me.

Have they ever mention any plans to cover Final Fantasy games? That would be great.

I have hit on it before, but RPGs are hard to do on the podcast when I make it a requirement to play 90%+ of the game, usually to completion. I have played through FF IV and DQV in the last year so those are possible.

Latest Episode:
Episode 31: Star Fox

Peter Brown of Gamespot joins us to remember and revisit the game that introduced us to the Super FX chip, Star Fox. We also discuss the Retron 5, Universal Game Cases, TheCoverProject.net, awesome old promotional videos, and more!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Some Super Street Fighter II on the porch. Dug up this 13" CRT from the basement where it had sat for 10+ years covered in dust, spiders, and dirt. Works perfectly and a great picture!

Kevin and company... great job on the podcast! I just recently heard about it and am shotgunning through the episodes! I Can't wait for more!

Are you going to be doing a "music of the snes" episode anytime soon?

Keep up the good work.

Kevin and company... great job on the podcast! I just recently heard about it and am shotgunning through the episodes! I Can't wait for more!

Are you going to be doing a "music of the snes" episode anytime soon?

Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the kind words.

To answer your question: We have to get through the music of the lynx and the 3DO before covering the SNES. So many standout tracks. ;)

Teknoman

Thank you for the kind words.

To answer your question: We have to get through the music of the lynx and the 3DO before covering the SNES. So many standout tracks. ;)

Yeah cant get enough of that...kung...food...

Picked up my gaming tv from 94-98 at my parent's. 13" Sony Trinitron. Great TV for the desk and still looks amazing!

The perfect SNES controller would be with SFC buttons and the Super Nintendo logo.

Isnt that how the EU controller looked?

small CRTs are awesome for retro games. I have a 15 inch trinitron with component inputs and everything 240p looks awesome because of the pixel density.

Enjoyed the starfox episode. That space armada level is my favorite too, i played it a lot as a kid. The music was great and i loved the idea of flying into each of these giant space crusiers and destroying them from the inside.

You guys didn't comment on the giant polygon face at the end. I remember that freaking me out horribly as a kid. Something about it was just too strange at the time.

Teknoman

small CRTs are awesome for retro games. I have a 15 inch trinitron with component inputs and everything 240p looks awesome because of the pixel density.

Enjoyed the starfox episode. That space armada level is my favorite too, i played it a lot as a kid. The music was great and i loved the idea of flying into each of these giant space crusiers and destroying them from the inside.

You guys didn't comment on the giant polygon face at the end. I remember that freaking me out horribly as a kid. Something about it was just too strange at the time.

Its still creepier than brain Andross.

306105.jpg

I just finished listening to the Genesis music show, and wow, what a cool episode. Bummed I missed the submission period, but I'm still on my FM Synth high, so I'd like to share some cool tracks that weren't mentioned.

Blood-stained Lake from Technosoft's Elemental Master - Like Greg's Alisia Dragoon pick, it mixes that medieval fantasy sound with heavy metal beautifully.
Into the Deep Blue Sky from Systemsoft's Master of Monsters - Kinda gives me Uematsu vibes, lol. Uncharacteristically soft and melodic sound for a Gen/MD game.
Forest (Stage 3) from Sega's Biohazard Battle - Thematically, this game's music is lonely, eerie, cacophonous, and alien. Considering the game's grim subject matter, it's perfect.
Scarab of Glory no. 3 from Sega's The Hybrid Front - To me, this game has one of the most insane soundtracks this side of Hard Corps. The whole soundtrack surprisingly uptempo for a strategy game and since it employs voice samples and "escalating" track variations, it almost sounds like these could be used in Sonic 3.

Anyway, I just hope I could spread the Genesis sound love.

Love the show and keep up the good stuff, y'all!

I just finished listening to the Genesis music show, and wow, what a cool episode. Bummed I missed the submission period, but I'm still on my FM Synth high, so I'd like to share some cool tracks that weren't mentioned.

Blood-stained Lake from Technosoft's Elemental Master - Like Greg's Alisia Dragoon pick, it mixes that medieval fantasy sound with heavy metal beautifully.
Into the Deep Blue Sky from Systemsoft's Master of Monsters - Kinda gives me Uematsu vibes, lol. Uncharacteristically soft and melodic sound for a Gen/MD game.
Forest (Stage 3) from Sega's Biohazard Battle - Thematically, this game's music is lonely, eerie, cacophonous, and alien. Considering the game's grim subject matter, it's perfect.
Scarab of Glory no. 3 from Sega's The Hybrid Front - To me, this game has one of the most insane soundtracks this side of Hard Corps. The whole soundtrack surprisingly uptempo for a strategy game and since it employs voice samples and "escalating" track variations, it almost sounds like these could be used in Sonic 3.

Anyway, I just hope I could spread the Genesis sound love.

Love the show and keep up the good stuff, y'all!

Glad you enjoyed it, and awesome selection!

Heads up on upcoming episodes (as long as things go as planned):

Episode 32: Super Console Wars (Follow up with Blake J. Harris)
Episode 33: Super Mario Bros 3 (with CJ from Player One)
Episode 34: More Retro Shopping Tips and Virtual Akihabara Shopping Guide (Steve Lin)
Episode 35: Bonk's Revenge (Steve Lin)
Episode 36: Robocop vs Terminator (Greg Sewart)
Episode 37: The Saturn Buyers Guide (Greg Sewart)
Episode 38: Castlevania: Bloodlines (Kurt Kalada)
Episode 39: Mega Man X (Phil Theobald)
Episode 40: Soul Blazer

Heads up on upcoming episodes (as long as things go as planned):

Episode 32: Super Console Wars (Follow up with Blake J. Harris)
Episode 33: Super Mario Bros 3 (with CJ from Player One)
Episode 34: More Retro Shopping Tips and Virtual Akihabara Shopping Guide (Steve Lin)
Episode 35: Bonk's Revenge (Steve Lin)
Episode 36: Robocop vs Terminator (Greg Sewart)
Episode 37: The Saturn Buyers Guide (Greg Sewart)
Episode 38: Castlevania: Bloodlines (Kurt Kalada)
Episode 39: Mega Man X (Phil Theobald)
Episode 40: Soul Blazer

SMB3, guys.

With the NES on for 15 hours straight (while sleeping and taking breaks) I beat SMB3 for the first time. got to World 8 a bunch, but never to the end. So many points!

Was really cool playing this on my childhood CRT, even with the picture collapsing a bit on the tub.

LOOK AT THOSE SPRITES!

Here we go...

Stupid Bowser!

funny...

Thats it? No awesome credits like SMW?

Looking forward to Bonks Revenge. I got to play the first two Bonk games on my TG16 when they were new. Revenge was better. I remember being absolutely shocked hitting some sort of fire level and I never ended up finishing the game.

I don't think the turbo button floating trick worked as well to bypass levels in the second game.

Mzo

Ehhhh. I used to think Revenge was better based on aesthetics and presentation alone, but I've come around since then. The first Bonk has better levels, much, much better bosses and is a tighter game all around. 3 is barely worth talking about.

Wow, got real lucky today. Replied to a month old post on Craigslist for this sony pvm.

From reading the PVM/Upscaling thread on GAF I knew it was not the best monitor, but a good place to start. Turns out that one was sold but he had a PVM14M2U for $50!!! Made the hour drive and picked it up.

It was a little neglected, but some cleaning will do the job.

Then I fired it up...HOLY SHIT does the image look good. Just on S-video! My iPhone camera does not do it justice.

Hooked up my s-video modded Genesis and some nice stereo speakers

Post 1990!

That pvm.. I really wonder sometimes if s-video is a better way to use these old consoles than rgb.

I like the crispness of rgb but its definitely not nostalgic or how I remember the games.

S-video seems like a good compromise for removing blur and getting good colors while still blending transparencies and gradients correctly as developers intended.

Anyway I just got battletoads and double dragon on nes and having a blast with it. I like that it has an increased focus on combat. I love the feeling of the big hits in that game and how they use screen shake to increase the POW when you finish an enemy. Great graphics and music too. I think a battletoads episode would be fun to see how far you guys could get.

Post 1990!

That pvm.. I really wonder sometimes if s-video is a better way to use these old consoles than rgb.

I like the crispness of rgb but its definitely not nostalgic or how I remember the games.

S-video seems like a good compromise for removing blur and getting good colors while still blending transparencies and gradients correctly as developers intended.

Anyway I just got battletoads and double dragon on nes and having a blast with it. I like that it has an increased focus on combat. I love the feeling of the big hits in that game and how they use screen shake to increase the POW when you finish an enemy. Great graphics and music too. I think a battletoads episode would be fun to see how far you guys could get.

S-video looks F-ing great. I am going to try RGB, but I really don't care.

That game must be weird as it is a cross-gen title with SNES and Genesis. Want to check it out but it is like $70!

S-video looks F-ing great. I am going to try RGB, but I really don't care.

That game must be weird as it is a cross-gen title with SNES and Genesis. Want to check it out but it is like $70!

I must have gotten lucky, i got a cart only auction for $43 shipped. It did have some damage to the back label but front is perfect.

It is interesting because the SNES/Genesis/NES versions are all the same game but the Genesis looks like a port of the NES title and the SNES looks like its own thing with completely redrawn characters, not just with detail and extra color like the Genesis.

The genesis version basically looks like the port of the original battletoads to genesis. SNES is closer to battlemaniacs.

Kevin you should look into contacting Al Nielsen and Tom Kalinske! They were both on the segabits podcast and i'm pretty sure they're less known than BIMP. I bet they'd come on for an hour over skype. They sound like they enjoy talking about sega.

Kevin you should look into contacting Al Nielsen and Tom Kalinske! They were both on the segabits podcast and i'm pretty sure they're less known than BIMP. I bet they'd come on for an hour over skype. They sound like they enjoy talking about sega.

I have thought about it, maybe in a few weeks. Schedule is jam packed.

Also Steve Lin is bringing Brandon Sheffield with him for the next episode to discuss Bonk's Revenge.

Harlock

You guys always talk how was hard to buy games and only much years later played most of nes/snes/genesis stuff, but did not have rental stores? I always remember every friday running after the school to get better games at rental store before all the good games was rented.

zmet

We can start covering Sega Saturn games!

A steal at $35 shipped on ebay!

Nice! I've been playing a lot of my Saturn lately. I'm currently trying to beat Roosters from Capcom's arcade title Wonder 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG5drPUi4ho) on the system with one credit -- so damn close! I also have a haul of Japanese games coming this week that include three Saturn titles (a Data East 2D vertical shooter and two compilation discs with very early Sega arcade titles). I'm very interested to hear what you think of the system and games on the podcast. It's my second favorite Sega console.

Top Bottom