• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Just saw the perfect Vita case.

original.jpg

Found this at Nintendo Life.

That's hot.

Latest Episode:
Episode 35: Sega Saturn 201

Greg Sewart joins Kevin continue their discussion of the Sega Saturn while talking about the hidden gems of the Saturn, the expensive games that are worth your money, and some weird titles that make the Saturn unique.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Just wrapped up the next Back in my Play about Bonk's Revenge with Steve Lin and Brandon Sheffiled. Had a ton of fun, two great guests! Look for it in about a week.

Latest Episode:
Episode 32: Super Mario Brothers 3

Chris Johnston is back to help us remember and revisit Super Mario Brother 3 on the Famicom and Nintendo Entertainment System.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Love the podcast CoachKevin. Look forward to it every week. Any chance for a Battletoads (NES) episode? Proud to say I could complete the game (finished it a few times in my younger days actually) and would love to hear your thoughts on it... Plus some of the awesome music between breaks!

Love the podcast CoachKevin. Look forward to it every week. Any chance for a Battletoads (NES) episode? Proud to say I could complete the game (finished it a few times in my younger days actually) and would love to hear your thoughts on it... Plus some of the awesome music between breaks!

Lots of cool battle toads games to cover. That double dragon one is rad.

Teknoman

Play the SNES one if possible. Best version of the soundtrack (Genesis just lost on this one unfortunately...Robocop v Terminator is better on Genesis though).

Also not many people talk about Battlemaniacs.

The next beat em up on the show will most likely be Mighty Final Fight or Double Dragon 2. Battletoads is on the list though!

Teknoman

You know what i'd like to know? How people found out cheat codes to send into magazines...or if those people were even actual readers?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Gonna give all of these a gander. Thanks OP

Teknoman

Yes

Seeing the in other mags/hint books? Good question.

I mean how would someone even know the sound test combo for the stage select or Super Sonic in Sonic 2? Or for that matter DULLARD in MK1 or the konami code? Had to have been employees putting the info out.

zmet

I also like the later Jaleco carts. They had a nice plastic protector like the ones you used to get with the SNES carts.

Also, the ones Namco used on games like Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti is pretty cool too.

More SEGA Saturn Import game streaming tonight. Now with an RGB Cable and more games. Starting in about 15 minutes. twitch.tv/kevinlarrabee

binhoker

Banned
And still I wait for the Jackie chan episode. That game was the most exotic thing my 9 year old self could possibly handily while growing up in war torn belfast. I can't overemphasize just how mystical and foreign it felt to a kid that had soldiers on his streets and four tv channels.

And still I wait for the Jackie chan episode. That game was the most exotic thing my 9 year old self could possibly handily while growing up in war torn belfast. I can't overemphasize just how mystical and foreign it felt to a kid that had soldiers on his streets and four tv channels.

That's pretty moving. Where are you now?

binhoker

Banned
I'm still in Northern Ireland. In a Quaint little village by the sea, but the war is over and the four channels have been expanded out as we joined the heterogenous monoculture that has subsumed most of the west. There are still out breaks of tribal outbreaks of violence on a yearly basis but that's ingrained in the culture at this point.

I think that's where the early videogames love gestated, after the c64 and other dour british computers, nintendo happened and this odd semi filtered window into Japan was made manifest. Any game with Buddha statues or swaying reeds just seemed like an exultation of life "east of the suez" ( to pilfer a phrase from Kipling).

orient

Neo Member
I found my copy of Robocop Vs Terminator for the Master System -- going to finish it before the upcoming episode with Greg and see how it compares to the Genesis version. Looks surprisingly faithful.

zmet

Some import Saturn recommendations:
Nekketsu Oyako, Tenchi wo Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai, Saturn Bomberman, Bubble Symphony

If you like beat-em-ups, definitely check out Tenchi wo Kurau II. I don't hear this game get mentioned much whenever console beat-em-ups are the topic, but it's pretty damn good. If you don't want to pay what the Saturn disc goes for, it's on the Japanese PSN store in the Playstation section for much cheaper (and you can play it on the go on PSP/Vita). The Playstation version loads once or twice between levels though, unlike the Saturn version.

Night Striker S, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force II, and Radiant Silvergun

If you like Space Harrier-like shooters give Night Strikers S a try. You can select the stage you want to go to next, like in Darius Gaiden. Also, the soundtrack is awesome!

Arcade Gears: Wonder 3 (contains an action platformer, 2D side-scrolling shooter, and a Pengo like puzzle game), Capcom Generations 2 (Ghosts 'N Goblins collecton), Keio Yuugekitai Katsugekihen, and Astal

Keio Yuugekitai is a must for your Saturn library. It's a beautiful 2D platformer that reminds you of the SNES/SFC Goemon games in feel and look. It also proves that the Saturn can do (software) transparencies just fine.

Street Fighter series

Street Fighter Zero 3 on the Saturn is my favorite port of the game to play. In this version T. Hawk has a backwards walk animation that doesn't show up in any other home port (including the arcade version).

Hyper Duel, Blast Wind, Metal Black, and Gokujō Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack

My most played shooter on the Saturn is Metal Black. This Taito arcade game is the prequel to the Dreamcast shooter Boarder Down (game mechanic-wise) and features another amazing Taito soundtrack. It's also on one of the Taito Legends discs for the Xbox and PS2 in emulated form, but they messed up the beam-shot, so definitely stay away from those versions.

Latest Episode:
Episode 33: Bonk’s Revenge

Steve Lin and Brandon Sheffield come on the show to remember and revisit Bonk’s Revenge on the Turbo Grafx-16 and PC Engine. We also have a lengthy discussion about PVMs, the Sega Saturn, and what happens when you stack a ton of Sonic and Knuckle carts on top of each other.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Ramune

Wow, I checked on my PSP for new episodes (still need to listen to The Wizard episode), and must have JUST missed this by a hair. Downloading now! Again, doing a great job with this podcast!

Chairhome

I liked the mention of Video Power in the SMB3 ep (still going through it). Did you watch it before it became a game show? I remember watching it in the morning before heading to school.

I liked the mention of Video Power in the SMB3 ep (still going through it). Did you watch it before it became a game show? I remember watching it in the morning before heading to school.

Can't remember, I was 3 at the time. But I watched it whenever it was on. I do remember it being mostly tips and tricks.

Ramune

Wait... You listen to them on your PSP? Cool!

Well...since my laptop wont charge and the charging cable needs to be turned a certain way to even accept power (and no way of knowing if it is with a dead battery), and my smartphone is anything but, and my iPhome 3GS died because IT'S battery...my PSP(s) is(are) still kicking, and its a little known fact that you can que up saved RSS feeds (in this case, Back in my Play), and download anything that is listed on the RSS. Definitely comes in handy. And keeps my Vita's battery fully powered for when I use it! (constantly)

https://db.tt/BkLeRTaQ
Yeah, Sony handhelds are always relavent to my interests. ;)

I used my PSP for podcasts for years and years. Probably until like 2009.

I love the emerald green PSP. I always have it with me with loads of nes and genesis games ready to go and the konami shooter collections.

Ramune

I used my PSP for podcasts for years and years. Probably until like 2009.

I love the emerald green PSP. I always have it with me with loads of nes and genesis games ready to go and the konami shooter collections.

Ha ha, I know right! Green is my color so I impatiently imported that color as soon as it was released as an upgrade to my still kicking White PSP-1000. If a Vita-2000 gets a similar color, I wouldn't think twice! Its why I'm a bit on the line with the idea of importing a White/Lime Vita-2000 (even my avatar is using one @_@).
And I also have loads of NES and Genesis/Sega CD games to go along with afore mentioned Konami shmup collections and my other various UMD rips. With space to spare (gotta love the MicroSD adaptors! 16GBx2!)
But Vita has spoiled me when it comes to playing PSP games it seems, lol.
So in the end I pretty much use it for podcasts, emulators and Konami shmups! XD

Chairhome

Nothing. Just loved the winner running through the maze if new NES games.

Ah, a shame. It was a pretty good show that did reviews, previews and some game tips, then they turned it into a game show on its second season. Always wanted to go on and win that neo geo though!

Wasnt bigfoot the monster truck in there somewhere?
Yup, theyre riding him in that picture, haha.
The show didnt hold a candle to Captain N, but I still had some fond memories of the cartoon.

Ramune

Ah, a shame. It was a pretty good show that did reviews, previews and some game tips, then they turned it into a game show on its second season. Always wanted to go on and win that neo geo though!

I must be an old foggy too as I remember pre-game show Video Power too. Also remember it was one of the few times Turbo Duo commercials were even remotely played on a regular basis for some reason. The enemies were villains from the N.A.R.C. game too. And was it me or did Quirk (or whatever the little tomato gay's name was) share the same voice actor with Game Boy from Captain N? :3

As for the game show, Mega Man games were a constant source of tips as every other episode he would say Mega Man, lol. And I would always yell at the kids like they were complete idiots for not getting the Neo Geo as that was considered THE GRAIL in my elementry school group.

Chairhome said:
Yup, theyre riding him in that picture, haha.
The show didnt hold a candle to Captain N, but I still had some fond memories of the cartoon.

Bigfoot was THE Monster Truck back then wasn't it. XD
Only remember the Basketball player, Quirk, and the N.A.R.K. dude.

Chairhome

I must be an old foggy too as I remember pre-game show Video Power too. Also remember it was one of the few times Turbo Duo commercials were even remotely played on a regular basis for some reason. The enemies were villains from the N.A.R.C. game too. And was it me or did Quirk (or whatever the little tomato gay's name was) share the same voice actor with Game Boy from Captain N? :3

Bigfoot was THE Monster Truck back then wasn't it. XD
Only remember the Basketball player, Quirk, and the N.A.R.K. dude.
I think it was Kwark. And how could you forget Kuros from Wizards and Warriors/Ironsword? Thats the only game out of those franchises that i really played :)

Ramune

I think it was Kwark. And how could you forget Kuros from Wizards and Warriors/Ironsword? Thats the only game out of those franchises that i really played :)

He didnt wear the helmet did he? ;3
Or he looked nothing like the in-game sprite (which was pretty common with game cartoons back then), so he didnt stand out as much. But its coming back to me now. Yeah, those two games were quite popular too back then as well! Many a night me amd my next door neighbor/best friend flipping through his Nintendo Power issues for maps amd what not when we'd rent them. ....Nostalgia

Mzo

Yeah, the first season of Video Power where Johnny Arcade would skateboard into the room, play and review games and show tips was way, way better than the gameshow that came after.

Heads up I might be mixing up the next episodes. Doing some traveling and want to get into some other topics. As always will do my best to make it interesting and entertaining. That means guests and some one offs.

Top Bottom