• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Latest Episode:
Episode 31: Star Fox

Peter Brown of Gamespot joins us to remember and revisit the game that introduced us to the Super FX chip, Star Fox. We also discuss the Retron 5, Universal Game Cases, TheCoverProject.net, awesome old promotional videos, and more!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Heads up. If you are in the Chicago Area I am going to the the Emporium Arcade Bar on N Milwaukee Ave RIGHT NOW!!

Come hang out and play some arcade games! I also have shirts and stickers!

hlhbk

Latest Episode:
Episode 29: The Music of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

Greg Sewart joins Kevin to discuss the music of the Sega Genesis and the Mega Drive. We also read some stories and listen to favorite tracks from the audience.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Next Episode: Panzer Dragoon Saga???????!!!!!!!

Teknoman

Teknoman

Yeah it just kind of all fell into place. We're going to try to do prizes for them too. Might not always be related to the system, but still.

CO_Andy

What's up with the Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts hate, Kevin? The slowdown was fixed in every subsequent port of the game (PS1/Saturn/PS2/XB1/PSP).

zmet

Super Ghouls n Ghosts plays so damn slow. The terrible slowdown (especially when you get the gold armor and knife combo) and not being able to shoot up/down just didn't evolve the game play over the previous game. Also the new weapons are terrible! I like the game and I still play through it to completion once a year, but it's definitely not the best game in the series, in my opinion.

orient

Neo Member
After listening to John's positive feedback on 8-4 Play about the Retron5, I'm actually looking forward to it a little bit. It'll be cool to randomly buy NES/SNES carts and play them without worrying about hardware. Still looking into a model 1 Master System, though.

Had an original Mega Drive in box a few years back that I never should have sold. You live you learn!

Kevin you should look into getting an NESRGB mod done. I just had Baphomet here on GAF mod a toploader for me, and its incredible. So sharp and colorful.

Especially with that Framemeister you should be getting Scart/RGB for as many consoles as possible.

Mike Mika is back on this show this week to talk about Japanese games, Bomberman on the Jaguar, and more! Let me know if you have questions for him.

Recorded an amazing episode with Mike Mika this week. Some super facinating stories from his first development project, a found unreleased game for the Jaguar, thoughts on breaking games for speed runs, and BREAKING NEWS about #IDARB

Chairhome

If you have a release date for #idarb, it is your patriotic duty to release that ep post haste.

Unless you're being sarcastic about the news.

Latest Episode:
Episode 30: Mike Mika’s Time Machine (Part I)

Mike Mike is back on the show to talk about a rediscovered version of Bomberman for the Jaguar, the amazing story of his first major development project and getting in the the industry, what it is like to see speed runners completely break a game, the concept of reproduction carts, some hidden Japanese game gems, an announcement on a new game from Other Ocean, and a release window for #IDARB.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Episode 1 of the Back in my Playthrough series for Soul Blazer is up. Join me as I play through this hidden gem for the first time.

qBJto2H.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmB8OCu2Uzg

Teknoman

Is everyone playing Shovel Knight? Does a great job of recreating NES games the way we remember them.

I think that might make alot of indie retro style devs rethink how much they put into presentation. If more games put as much into the music and just general style, things would be much better.

Episode 1 of the Back in my Playthrough series for Soul Blazer is up. Join me as I play through this hidden gem for the first time.

qBJto2H.jpg

Are you going to record your full playthrough?

taco543

I just got done listening to mike mikas time machine yesterday at work really fascinating stuff if the source code of that bomber man game is still in tact, (please don't ban me for this) I hope they can port it to pc.

I just got done listening to mike mikas time machine yesterday at work really fascinating stuff if the source code of that bomber man game is still in tact, (please don't ban me for this) I hope they can port it to pc.

As soon as something happens I will make sure to have him (and possibly his brother) back on to talk about the retrieval process and where it is at.

zmet

I'm going to order one later this week. Coach K, you should have had the BIMP logo in Japanese on this shirt.

qBJto2H.jpg

I hate you. What I wouldn't give to play the Quintet trilogy again for the first time. I know this is a playthrough and you want to keep things moving, but please don't rush through Soul Blazer. These classic Action RPGs are few and far between compared to other genres and should be savored. Enjoy!

Teknoman

I hate you. What I wouldn't give to play the Quintet trilogy again for the first time. I know this is a playthrough and you want to keep things moving, but please don't rush through Soul Blazer. These classic Action RPGs are few and far between compared to other genres and should be savored. Enjoy!

I kinda want to join in, since the only thing i've played in the trilogy is Illusion of Gaia. I have Soul Blazer in my backlog as of a few months ago, and havent snagged Terranigma yet.

But im still rolling through Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer.

orient

Neo Member
I'm going to order one later this week. Coach K, you should have had the BIMP logo in Japanese on this shirt.

Kevin already replied but yeah, I actually tried it a dozen different ways with the Japanese and just couldn't get it to look good. Too many characters.

For those who want to see the new design in higher res:

bimp-jp.jpg

It's actually far more detailed than the previous shirts.

Finally reading Console Wars and man, what a book. Especially for Sega fans like myself. Makes me want to go on a giant eBay-spree. Prices on eBay aren't great in Australia, though. Roughly $30+ for run-of-the-mill Master System games.

Kevin already replied but yeah, I actually tried it a dozen different ways with the Japanese and just couldn't get it to look good. Too many characters.

For those who want to see the new design in higher res:

bimp-jp.jpg

It's actually far more detailed than the previous shirts.

Finally reading Console Wars and man, what a book. Especially for Sega fans like myself. Makes me want to go on a giant eBay-spree. Prices on eBay aren't great in Australia, though. Roughly $30+ for run-of-the-mill Master System games.

Just want to publicly say that you're awesome and we appreciate you.

Top Bottom