• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

REmake goes well beyond changing enemy placement: there are entirely new sections of the mansion grounds to explore and they really flesh out some different story elements, as well as change the method for killing zombies permanently. It's incredibly scary to play through and IMO would be a fantastic candidate as the sole game for a future podcast. The Gamecube release is now 10 or 11 years old at this point.

Interesting. What we might do is have one of us play REmake and the other two play RE1, that way we have plenty of discussion of both games. I really want to play REmake now! I think Trey has it, actually.

Definitely going to check this out. Especially the Shenmue episode. I have such fond memories playing that game specifically.

Great idea for a podcast.

ShadyJ

Interesting. What we might do is have one of us play REmake and the other two play RE1, that way we have plenty of discussion of both games. I really want to play REmake now! I think Trey has it, actually.

REmake is regarded as the series pinnacle. (Tank controls RE). You need to play this dude, the level of atmosphere and detail is AMAZING.

I bought my copy release day here in Australia at an EB at 9am, stayed up all night with a mate playing through it.

REmake is regarded as the series pinnacle. (Tank controls RE). You need to play this dude, the level of atmosphere and detail is AMAZING.

I bought my copy release day here in Australia at an EB at 9am, stayed up all night with a mate playing through it.

Alright, I'm ordering it.

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

Latest Episode:
Episode 7: Shatterhand/Sim City (1:16:03)

This week we discover a hidden gem with, Shatterhand.” Since the character has bionic arms, it has to be great! Afterwards we revisit SimCity, many people’s first, “God Game.” Join us as we build up a Metropolis then destroy it with earthquakes, monster attacks, and other disasters!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time/Hyper Stone Heist and Paper Boy

oatmeal

Banned
Not loyal at all, I just need to balance things out a little bit as Trey and Josh are admitted fans of Nintendo, and since I had a Genesis at the time, that is how I felt.

But you are 100% right on the Final Fight 2 thing. We will have to do that very soon. Maybe even SoR3 which is a decline in the series.

I was just quoting you when you said their NINTENDO LOYALTY BULLSHIT.

Side note, can you write the contest rules in here? I totally forgot after the podcast ended.

Def Jukie

I think we should do that while I am on route to Japan, can play them on the PSP.

Wait. Wait. Hold Up. Just to be sure, you aren't planning on playing the PSN release of Resident Evil: Director's Cut are you? Avoid that version at all costs. It is the dual shock version that has a completely different soundtrack that absolutely ruins the game. I'm at work at the moment and can't access youtube but please look up the music just to see how awful it is. Play the original release or the non greatest hits version of the Director's Cut instead.

Yes Boss!

Finally caught up with all the episodes.

Still do have to listen to Episode Zero but I've never been a big Zelda fan so I'll save it for a rainy day.

Good show guys and keep it up. Wholly hell at those Silius music stereo samples.

Also, in my clique back in the day Streets of Rage was ALWAYS a poor Sega knock-off of the superior Final Fight. Keep in mind that Final Fight was also a port of the ridiculous arcade game. Capcom was blowing minds back then and their output on the SNES was just ridiculous.

I also had imported the Super Famicom copy.

Wait. Wait. Hold Up. Just to be sure, you aren't planning on playing the PSN release of Resident Evil: Director's Cut are you? Avoid that version at all costs. It is the dual shock version that has a completely different soundtrack that absolutely ruins the game. I'm at work at the moment and can't access youtube but please look up the music just to see how awful it is. Play the original release or the non greatest hits version of the Director's Cut instead.

I'll see if I can get a regular ps1 copy tonight.

Def Jukie

I'll see if I can get a regular ps1 copy tonight.

Cool. I don't know what Capcom was thinking with that Dual Shock version. The score was great in the original and they completely redid it for whatever reason. Not all the songs are bad but some of them are just awful and kill the mood.

This is probably the most egregious track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q&list=PL97D643FDC344E67D

Here's the original song used in the same area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZanrLbBThJE

Just grabbed the new episode. Looking forward to listening.

Cool. I don't know what Capcom was thinking with that Dual Shock version. The score was great in the original and they completely redid it for whatever reason. Not all the songs are bad but some of them are just awful and kill the mood.

This is probably the most egregious track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q&list=PL97D643FDC344E67D

Here's the original song used in the same area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZanrLbBThJE

Just grabbed the new episode. Looking forward to listening.

Holy shit. Good call. Might wait on RE1 until I get back from Japan. Going to be real hard to play it before I leave.

Maybe even SoR3 which is a decline in the series.
Ridiculous. SoR3 is a fantastic game and trounces even SoR2 in area's.

Good news, we're covering Resident Evil in the not too distant future! I love that series to death, pun intended, I suppose. Thanks for listening!

One person play OG RE, one person play the Directors Cut and one person play Remake. Now that would be interesting.

Edit: Yea some of the music was changed for the Directors Cut. Mikiami said it was changed just to be changed to make the Directors Cut more appealing.

SoR3 has a great soundtrack though it's still leagues better than most other genesis games.

If only Yuzo stuck with SoR 1 and 2 style for 3's soundtrack.

Ridiculous. SoR3 is a fantastic game and trounces even SoR2 in area's.

One person play OG RE, one person play the Directors Cut and one person play Remake. Now that would be interesting.

Edit: Yea some of the music was changed for the Directors Cut. Mikiami said it was changed just to be changed to make the Directors Cut more appealing.

Yeah,

But most Genesis games have shit soundtracks. Yuzo is the exception.

I still like SoR3, I think 2 is just a better all around game. Music/level design/combat/etc.

Really enjoyed the Shenmue episode. I can't remember when I last played the first game and my copy is scratched now, but I played Shenmue 2 as recently as five years ago. heh

I got super nostalgic for Dreamcast hearing it and remembered reading about "Virtua Fighter RPG" in Next Generation magazine back then. Hope there's a PSO episode in the future. :)

Def Jukie

Just finished listening to the new episode. Josh did a great job of explaining what is good about ZAMN. It is very much a rogue-like without so much of the randomness. I actually think one of the best games to compare it to is The Binding of Isaac. The gameplay is somewhat similar and while it doesn't have the random levels, many of the item drops are random in ZAMN. It's also a game that you need to spend some time with to really understand. You need to experiment with the weapons and abilities to figure out what works best on each enemy. The more you play, the more you learn for future runs. I think the risk/reward also works really well. The exit pops up as soon as you find the last neighbor but you might want to explore for more items. Is it worth spending a key to open that door for the possibility of more items or do you save the key for later? It all adds to a lot of replayability.

I feel like you guys didn't spend enough time with the game to really appreciate it. Did any of you play co-op at all? Also, I don't understand the idea that the Genesis version is better in any way than the SNES version. You can leave the map up on the SNES version by simply tapping one of the shoulder buttons. My only big complaints about either version of this game are that it can be cumbersome to cycle through your items and the useless password system.

The debate over SoR 2 and Final Fight is hilarious. Unless you are talking about the Arcade Final Fight, there is no debate. The SNES Final Fight has no co-op. You don't even need to say anything else.

Holy shit. Good call. Might wait on RE1 until I get back from Japan. Going to be real hard to play it before I leave.

I've been wanting to support you guys as I'm really liking the podcast and the contest for your ZAMN and Final Fight carts is a great way to get more reviews up on Itunes which of course will help get more exposure. I'm willing to donate a copy of Resident Evil Director's Cut (original version obviously) if you want to give it away after you record the episode. PM me your mailing address if it's cool with you and I'll get it shipped out this week. I do think I'll enter the contest for the ZAMN cart though as I don't actually own it right now and would love to have it.

oatmeal

Banned
My prized collection, not pictured is my RE5 Collectors Edition and RE6 Steel Case. (Both PS3)

These are as new as they day i bought them, awesome considering i bought them when a long bloody time ago.

fB3aCno.jpg

Sick.

I remember EGM gave out alternate covers for some games in '05 including the RE4 cover on the left there. I replaced mine.

ShadyJ

Oh wow, didn't know Kev was a strength and conditioning coach??

I had IFBB pro Shelby Starnes as my nutritionist for about a year and a bit.

Subbed to fit cast now too.

Just finished listening to the new episode. Josh did a great job of explaining what is good about ZAMN. It is very much a rogue-like without so much of the randomness. I actually think one of the best games to compare it to is The Binding of Isaac. The gameplay is somewhat similar and while it doesn't have the random levels, many of the item drops are random in ZAMN. It's also a game that you need to spend some time with to really understand. You need to experiment with the weapons and abilities to figure out what works best on each enemy. The more you play, the more you learn for future runs. I think the risk/reward also works really well. The exit pops up as soon as you find the last neighbor but you might want to explore for more items. Is it worth spending a key to open that door for the possibility of more items or do you save the key for later? It all adds to a lot of replayability.

I feel like you guys didn't spend enough time with the game to really appreciate it. Did any of you play co-op at all? Also, I don't understand the idea that the Genesis version is better in any way than the SNES version. You can leave the map up on the SNES version by simply tapping one of the shoulder buttons. My only big complaints about either version of this game are that it can be cumbersome to cycle through your items and the useless password system.

The debate over SoR 2 and Final Fight is hilarious. Unless you are talking about the Arcade Final Fight, there is no debate. The SNES Final Fight has no co-op. You don't even need to say anything else.

I've been wanting to support you guys as I'm really liking the podcast and the contest for your ZAMN and Final Fight carts is a great way to get more reviews up on Itunes which of course will help get more exposure. I'm willing to donate a copy of Resident Evil Director's Cut (original version obviously) if you want to give it away after you record the episode. PM me your mailing address if it's cool with you and I'll get it shipped out this week. I do think I'll enter the contest for the ZAMN cart though as I don't actually own it right now and would love to have it.

I played 5-6 hours of ZamN across the two platforms and it just didn't grab me, maybe it was because I wasn't playing with a friend. Thanks for the offer on the game, I was planning to just give away a download code for PSN.

Since I talked about it on the podcast this week, here is the Ms. Pac I picked up

• Replaced the marquee florescent blub and starter.
  • Took a Magic Eraser lightly to the cab (especially the control panel overlay).
  • Removed and cleaned the bezel glass, cleaned the tube.
  • Turned off free play so attract mode plays
  • ordered new Player1/2 buttons (should arrive tomorrow)

It was already in nice shape. Was home/family owned for the last 15 years. Makes a huge difference as it will get much less use. Everything is original: paint, control panel overlay, marquee, etc. No Namco bullshit on it.

Next is to pick up a Neo Geo again. Might hold out for another candy cab.

Thanks for the kind words and the love of ZAMN! . I have definitely played the co-op mode for several hours and indeed appreciate it. Can you imagine how cool an updated release on modern consoles with online play would be? I wouldn't want a thing to be changed to the game's visuals or sound. Perhaps just better controls and the ability to play cooperatively with a pal who has his/her own screen.

Def Jukie

I played 5-6 hours of ZamN across the two platforms and it just didn't grab me, maybe it was because I wasn't playing with a friend. Thanks for the offer on the game, I was planning to just give away a download code for PSN.

Fair enough and I realize there is only so much time you can dedicate to a game in a week. It's definitely easier to get into if you are playing with someone else.

I really like the idea of all of us playing different versions, right on.

I still like SoR3, I think 2 is just a better all around game. Music/level design/combat/etc.

I'm curious on how you think the combat is better. I'm not trying to come off snobby or anything but I'm just interested in discussion. I can understand music and level design because they are easily matter of opinion/preference. The combat of SoR3 is that of SoR2 just more fluid. Everyone can run, moving between planes is easier, combo's are more streamlined and faster, you are able to do the last hit of your combo without going through the other attacks, weapons are balanced and the ability of using specials without draining your health but not being broken. In a vacuum if your playing SoR2 right you should not be using specials at all because it always drains health.

The only thing I can think of gameplay wise that one could prefer over SoR3 is whiffed combo's. In SoR2 a whiffed combo just jabs in SoR3 a whiffed combo goes through the whole combo hit or not. In SoR3 the last hit can be delayed too. If you did your combo up until the end and waited a sec the last hit would come out and not a starting jab.

I'm curious on how you think the combat is better. I'm not trying to come off snobby or anything but I'm just interested in discussion. I can understand music and level design because they are easily matter of opinion/preference. The combat of SoR3 is that of SoR2 just more fluid. Everyone can run, moving between planes is easier, combo's are more streamlined and faster, you are able to do the last hit of your combo without going through the other attacks, weapons are balanced and the ability of using specials without draining your health but not being broken. In a vacuum if your playing SoR2 right you should not be using specials at all because it always drains health.

The only thing I can think of gameplay wise that one could prefer over SoR3 is whiffed combo's. In SoR2 a whiffed combo just jabs in SoR3 a whiffed combo goes through the whole combo hit or not. In SoR3 the last hit can be delayed too. If you did your combo up until the end and waited a sec the last hit would come out and not a starting jab.

This was coming from when I owned both back in 1995 or whatever. I haven't played 3 recently enough to give specifics. I remember enjoying the combat in 2 a lot more. Also there was no weird ass Kangaroo.

oatmeal

Banned
I will take that as a compliment. I wonder if he is also a southerner who was trained as a broadcaster. Hmmmmm...

Like I said, good thing ;)

Damnit, guys...why won't anyone tell me the contest rules? I listened to it, forgot, and then loaded it up again and skimmed but couldn't find it.

I WANT SOME SNES CART ACTION.

Like I said, good thing ;)

Damnit, guys...why won't anyone tell me the contest rules? I listened to it, forgot, and then loaded it up again and skimmed but couldn't find it.

I WANT SOME SNES CART ACTION.
Must have imagined it. Don't worry about it, happens to me all the time.

RkOwnage

So one of the disadvantages of living in Savannah, GA (besides Paula Dean) is there are no mom 'n' pop game stores. While away for training in Orlando I happened upon a place called Gamer Nation. First store like this I've been in and what an awesome trip down nostalgia lane it was! They had every console from Atari to Xbox 360 on display with their own section of games.

Picked up a few games I'd either lost over time (from moves) or had stolen from me by people I foolishly loaned them to. Will post pics later.

I'm for some strange reason in a Nintendo 64 buying mood. I've always put the N64 at the bottom of my Nintendo-fanboy list but I am more and more wanting to revisit the console.

Finally after a couple of weeks looking for it every time I went to a game store:

Place had two copies of it for $10 each. Not a terrible price. Only played the first level, loved the music. Will definitely check it out more. Probably won't have time to really play it until next week, though.

Finally after a couple of weeks looking for it every time I went to a game store:

Place had two copies of it for $10 each. Not a terrible price. Only played the first level, loved the music. Will definitely check it out more. Probably won't have time to really play it until next week, though.

Just wait until we tell you about Shatterhand! Great pickup!

Top Bottom