• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

My retro room (Back in My Play room?) is coming together as I wrap up the delirium-inducing process of moving across 4 states. I will post pics soon for those who are interested.

And for those who aren't.

Teknoman

To bring up an older video (Battletoads in Battlemaniacs), i'd pay to see Doublefine take over the franchise, or at least do a one shot game. Looking at what they picked for Brutal Legend, i'm sure they'd do the soundtrack justice, not to mention the overall art style really reminds me of Brutal Legend landscapes (i'm sure the series was inspired by heavy metal covers).

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

Latest Episode:
BimP Gaiden: Retro Game Setups and the Japan Experience (Part 1) (1:09:48)

This week we change it up a bit with a discussion on the optimal retro gaming setups, upscalers, emulation vs hardware, and the experience on traveling to Japan..

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug, Baseball Stars 2

That would be really cool. Their retro episodes are the best. Everyone should listen to their NES and SNES retrospectives. The Resident Evil episode is great too. I love how passionate about games those guys are.

Do you have a topic in mind to discuss with 8-4?

No, John just said it would be cool to do one when I am out there, I will ask him.

Teknoman

Saturday night is here, anyone eating pizza and playing local multiplayer with their buds?

Had an insane multiplayer night friday night. Nothing too classic, but Brawl, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, along with some PS3 fighting games were in the mix.

Also nothing was as fun as 7 player NHL 13 and going in blind :p

Bog

Junior Ace
Hyperstone Heist was coincidentally the first game I tried on my Framemeister when I got my RGB cables this week. Never played all the way through it, though. Only recently grabbed a mint/complete copy.

Hyperstone Heist was coincidentally the first game I tried on my Framemeister when I got my RGB cables this week. Never played all the way through it, though. Only recently grabbed a mint/complete copy.

How was it? I can't wait to use my Framemeister! It is waiting for me at my friends house in japan right now!

Had an insane multiplayer night friday night. Nothing too classic, but Brawl, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, along with some PS3 fighting games were in the mix.

Also nothing was as fun as 7 player NHL 13 and going in blind :p

I love fighting game nights! My friends and I have experienced plenty of awesome nights with TvC also.
You didn't answer the more important question, though: What kind of pizza did you have?

Teknoman

I love fighting game nights! My friends and I have experienced plenty of awesome nights with TvC also.
You didn't answer the more important question, though: What kind of pizza did you have?

Wanted some sort of deep dish from a local place, but it was kind of a short notice / spur of the moment thing, so we just went with 3 Pepperoni+beef & extra cheese large from Pizza Hut.

Which wasnt bad at all lol.

Latest Episode:
Episode 8: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time/Hyperstone Heist (1:16:03)

This week we fight not one, but TWO incarnations of Super Shredder with the Heroes in a Half Shell with the two 16-Bit TMNT beat'em ups. We discuss the differences between the two and our history with these fantastic games.

Next Episode:

entremet

I'm a fan. I listen to both of your podcasts, Kevin lol. Two passions of mine--retro gaming and fitness converge!

Wanted some sort of deep dish from a local place, but it was kind of a short notice / spur of the moment thing, so we just went with 3 Pepperoni+beef & extra cheese large from Pizza Hut.

Which wasnt bad at all lol.

Pepperoni and beef is a rad combo! The Mrs. and I had pepperoni and mushroom Saturday night before our gaming. We didn't play anything as awesome as TvC, though.

Got together with some of my friends to play n64 earlier this week (we played Smash, NFL Blitz, and Goldeneye), and we ate a terrible cheese pizza. It just felt wrong to mix cheese pizza and such awesome games.

Teknoman

Pepperoni and beef is a rad combo! The Mrs. and I had pepperoni and mushroom Saturday night before our gaming. We didn't play anything as awesome as TvC, though.

Got together with some of my friends to play n64 earlier this week (we played Smash, NFL Blitz, and Goldeneye), and we ate a terrible cheese pizza. It just felt wrong to mix cheese pizza and such awesome games.

I need to get a copy of Blitz on N64, also Bomberman. Cant see why someone would order a cheese pizza (even as a vegetarian, throw some pineapples on it or something lol).

Also SNES wins soundtrack wise (especially Neon Nightriders)...but Genesis sounds damn nice with a 2.1 stereo set.

I need to get a copy of Blitz on N64, also Bomberman. Cant see why someone would order a cheese pizza (even as a vegetarian, throw some pineapples on it or something lol).

Also SNES wins soundtrack wise (especially Neon Nightriders)...but Genesis sounds damn nice with a 2.1 stereo set.

The cheese pizza was forced by a strange situation involving moving and a vegetarian, but still, I learned a valuable lesson that night: cheese pizza sucks.

drspeedy

Latest Episode:
Episode 8: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time/Hyperstone Heist (1:16:03)

This week we fight not one, but TWO incarnations of Super Shredder with the Heroes in a Half Shell with the two 16-Bit TMNT beat'em ups. We discuss the differences between the two and our history with these fantastic games.

Next Episode:

Perfection!

Great show, guys. Love the thoughts about the experience of the "arcade at home" and the differences between the 2 games. TMNT was always about the beat 'em up action, and there's few arcade games that worked it better. Only the Simpsons and the old D&D games come close to giving you a similarly 'fleshed out' experience that works.

Stories. Who needs 'em!?

Perfection!

Great show, guys. Love the thoughts about the experience of the "arcade at home" and the differences between the 2 games. TMNT was always about the beat 'em up action, and there's few arcade games that worked it better. Only the Simpsons and the old D&D games come close to giving you a similarly 'fleshed out' experience that works.

Stories. Who needs 'em!?

Words to live by.
:)
Thanks, btw.

Oh nice. Hyperstone Heist was the game my parents bought when they got me a Genesis for my birthday. My dad even played it with me sometimes because none of my school friends lived close enough or liked video games as much as me.

I never had a chance to play Turtles in Time. One of my friends had it, but N64 was the new hotness and he never wanted to play it. And when it was finally rereleased it was a horrible looking remake on not-Nintendo systems.

I'd love to revisit these games at some point.

Apenheul

Oh Turtles beat 'm ups, that should be good. I still have a lot of catching up to do, perhaps I'll start with that tonight.

Perfection!

Stories. Who needs 'em!?

Haha! EXACTLY!

RkOwnage

Perfection!

Stories. Who needs 'em!?

Fair enough on the stories, it was a weak argument for me to go after. After having Kevin stop us and have us listen to both the Sega and SNES versions of the music, I refuse to back down from my stance on the soundtrack. If your ears are functioning normally, there is no way you can say HH sounds better.

None.

/endrant

Yes Boss!

Good listen here at work! I'm literally going through piles of documents this monday and this and the 8-4 podcast are helping me get through it all.

Teknoman

Fair enough on the stories, it was a weak argument for me to go after. After having Kevin stop us and have us listen to both the Sega and SNES versions of the music, I refuse to back down from my stance on the soundtrack. If your ears are functioning normally, there is no way you can say HH sounds better.

None.

/endrant

Bingo.

I'd still like for my beat em ups to have at least a light amount of story/motivation though lol. I dunno about Hyperstone, but although simple, there is a...story for Turtles in Time.

Shredder jacks the statue of liberty for some reason, Turtles go to set things right, Shredder sends them spiraling back in time along with foot soldiers to keep them from coming back, they slice and dice through time to get back to the present, ninja kick super shredder in the face and save the day.

See? Story :p

Yes Boss!

Nice! Where you living now? Still overseas? Going to be in Japan for a few weeks if you are around.

I've been back in the States since last november. I'm close to DC. Just have a desk job where I push lots of paper! It is all good, but these are the stacks below that your podcast got me through.

I've been back in the States since last november. I'm close to DC. Just have a desk job where I push lots of paper! It is all good, but these are the stacks below that your podcast got me through.

Bummer. At least you were able to get your arcade machines out?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So I just saw the thread title yesterday, didn't enter the thread, and thought I would look up the podcast. Found it, listened to the first and second episode and I love it. I especially love the fact that you incorporate the games music into the episodes. The Mario music towards the end brought me back. Played that section three times so far.

Much props to all of you guys. And thanks for the great podcast.

So I just saw the thread title yesterday, didn't enter the thread, and thought I would look up the podcast. Found it, listened to the first and second episode and I love it. I especially love the fact that you incorporate the games music into the episodes. The Mario music towards the end brought me back. Played that section three times so far.

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you are enjoying it! If you can, please share the podcast with others!

Might I say, thank you and love the C&H avatar.

Top Bottom