• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Got up to number 18 today, so the top 10 is in sight.

I want to order a Genesis bundle.

Stop wanting and fucking do it! Bought a SECOND Genesis with S-Video Mod and a bunch more games this week:

• TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
  • Streets of Rage 2 with Box
  • Aladdin with Box
  • Bimini Run
  • Contra Hard Corp
  • Moonwalker

Stop wanting and fucking do it! Bought a SECOND Genesis with S-Video Mod and a bunch more games this week:

• TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
  • Streets of Rage 2 with Box
  • Aladdin with Box
  • Bimini Run
  • Contra Hard Corp
  • Moonwalker

Today is the day, Kevin. It will be waiting for me at my new house next week where, get this, I have a retro gaming station complete with CRT TV !

I have a composite El Gato coming tomorrow. Will make streams way better. In the mean time you can watch the archived versions of today's videos.

Also picking up another arcade machine in the morning... Will stream some repair work.

RkOwnage

I have a composite El Gato coming tomorrow. Will make streams way better. In the mean time you can watch the archived versions of today's videos.

Also picking up another arcade machine in the morning... Will stream some repair work.

They make a composite el gato? Neat. I also am about to purchase my FIRST Sega Genesis ...its an exciting feeling.

Here's a hint about today's episode:
One game hurts our fists while the other hurts our environment. Stay tuned for the thrilling revelations!

Teknoman

I honestly have never even heard of it.

And here I was debating starting on Power Blade or Shatterhand.

Also I need to enter the contest if its still possible. That and because of the Silius episode, I now own a copy...and its just as awesome as you guys said. The music is amazing.

Funny that you randomly mention them. I was just thinking about them two days ago. Was wondering if they were still around at all.

It sounds like they might be. Though browsing their Bandcamp page, they haven't topped Brass yet. The latest release is a lot of shorter songs, with more obscure titles. More electronics too it seems? Not sure. But the album Brass is fucking killer.

Game Guru

I remember my SNES copy of SimCity... It was one of two used SNES games that my dad just brought home that I adored... The other game was a SNES copy of Street Fighter II.

One thing I remember about my playing of the SNES SimCity is that I would occasionally leave my SNES on while at school to get more money to build up my city. I eventually got to the highest level of the game. While I have sold that game off, I do own the Virtual Console version and the PC version.

I remember my SNES copy of SimCity... It was one of two used SNES games that my dad just brought home that I adored... The other game was a SNES copy of Street Fighter II.

One thing I remember about my playing of the SNES SimCity is that I would occasionally leave my SNES on while at school to get more money to build up my city. I eventually got to the highest level of the game. While I have sold that game off, I do own the Virtual Console version and the PC version.

HAha! I did the same thing on the PC! My parents would be pissed when I left the computer on. This was when it was not cool to leave a computer on all day!

Neifirst

Loved the SimCity download story, Kevin. I've stated it before, but I can't believe how smooth this podcast is only several episodes in - great job! SimCity was the first game that my brother and I bought in 1991 about a month or so after the SNES launch. I don't think we ever got to a megalopolis as we would get a bit restless after awhile and just unleash every disaster possible on our city. I also remember getting really annoyed when the residential blocks would top out at low or middle-income housing instead of forming a gigantic tower. I only wish I had purchased it on the virtual console before it was permanently removed!

Loved the SimCity download story, Kevin. I've stated it before, but I can't believe how smooth this podcast is only several episodes in - great job! SimCity was the first game that my brother and I bought in 1991 about a month or so after the SNES launch. I don't think we ever got to a megalopolis as we would get a bit restless after awhile and just unleash every disaster possible on our city. I also remember getting really annoyed when the residential blocks would top out at low or middle-income housing instead of forming a gigantic tower. I only wish I had purchased it on the virtual console before it was permanently removed!

They removed it? Such bullshit!

Teknoman

With all the Monster Party talk going around as of late, I wonder how many other people, aside from those who posted in the thread, have some nostalgia around it? I'm going in fresh myself.

Also I want a Double Dragon episode just to hear the music lol.

Game Guru

HAha! I did the same thing on the PC! My parents would be pissed when I left the computer on. This was when it was not cool to leave a computer on all day!

Oddly enough, I also used that trick to level grind in Super Mario RPG because I had ended up with this fancy turbo controller for the SNES which allowed me to switch one of the button to be autopressed without touching the controller. Naturally, I set the A button to be autopressed, parked Mario in front of an infinite enemy respawn point which I knew I could kill in one hit, and level grinded while I was away at school.

Oddly enough, I also used that trick to level grind in Super Mario RPG because I had ended up with this fancy turbo controller for the SNES which allowed me to switch one of the button to be autopressed without touching the controller. Naturally, I set the A button to be autopressed, parked Mario in front of an infinite enemy respawn point which I knew I could kill in one hit, and level grinded while I was away at school.

That's genius, actually.

Pumped for Friday! My buddy Eric is coming over to play through Hyperstone Heist. We will live stream the whole thing!

Also might be some Neo Geo action in there.

Is there any difference between Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist? I don't think I've ever played HH. Anytime I've seen screenshots, it just looks like TiT.

galvatron

Loved Shatterhand. "aba" all day, erry day.

Had pretty good reviews at launch, but came pretty late in the console's life. Guess I'll have to give this a listen.

I haven't listened for a while, but have you rotated in any new people as originally intended or still same group?

Not really, the chemistry was great for episode 0 so I thought ti would be best to keep the cast the same to get the ball rolling. For stuff like Chrono Trigger I would love to do that though.

I have talked to John Ricciardi (Johntv) about possibly doing an episode with the 8-4 crew when I am in Japan for the next few weeks.

Def Jukie

Not really, the chemistry was great for episode 0 so I thought ti would be best to keep the cast the same to get the ball rolling. For stuff like Chrono Trigger I would love to do that though.

I have talked to John Ricciardi (Johntv) about possibly doing an episode with the 8-4 crew when I am in Japan for the next few weeks.

That would be really cool. Their retro episodes are the best. Everyone should listen to their NES and SNES retrospectives. The Resident Evil episode is great too. I love how passionate about games those guys are.

Do you have a topic in mind to discuss with 8-4?

Top Bottom