• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

mclem said:
I've just thought that we're now in a timeline quite significantly divorced how it was at the end of BTTF3.

If I'm reading it right, the DeLorean Doc turns up in halfway through Episode 5 is the original DeLorean from the movies - we have to conclude that he stipulated that it shouldn't be destroyed (maybe he wants to nip off to visit Clara's family from time to time?) at the end of the third film.

This does suggest that the time train was, alas, never built. I do wonder exactly where it diverted - did the events at the end of BTTF2 - splitting the DeLorean - no longer occur? Or is there still a second DeLorean somewhere in the timestream?

Also, I do want to see exactly how the Strickland family tree breaks down now. Is Principal Strickland Biff's father? Uncle?

Yeah, I'm overthinking all this. But it's BTTF! It's *made* to be overthought!
I don't get your starting point for this theory. What reason is there to believe the DeLorean they use in the last half of episode 5 isn't the duplicate? I took it as that being the revised fate of the duplicate, which is why the one Edna was driving disappeared.

mclem

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't get your starting point for this theory. What reason is there to believe the DeLorean they use in the last half of episode 5 isn't the duplicate? I took it as that being the revised fate of the duplicate, which is why the one Edna was driving disappeared.

Was it ever settled as to just how the initial duplicate managed to find its way to where it is right at the start of the season? I forget. I get that it was created and catapulted somewhere in time, but it somehow found its way towards 1886 Doc.

Anyhow, my logic here: Doc aged naturally but kept in good stead with his father. This is what creates his new future, meaning he'll enter the events of BTTF1-3 with the attitude that he wants to get back to 1986 to keep the foundation alive. That's the question: How does he get back to 1986 with Clara? Time train, original DeLorean or duplicate DeLorean? Original DeLorean suggests forward planning, while the other two options are much more restricting.

At some point in 1986 - after he recieves the key to the city - he reads the newspaper clipping Marty gave him, realises he needs to go back to rescue Marty, and does so; that's where the game re-meets his timeline.

At first I thought this Doc hadn't gone through the events of BTTF 1-3, but the fact that Clara's a factor confuses that somewhat. Unless he has a more reliable source of plutonium - thanks to the foundation and his father's support - and so casually encounters Clara when touring the old west instead.

Finally beat it.

Huge improvement over Episode 4.

*EPISODE 5 SPOILERS*

Even when Hill Valley disappeared, I was so happy to see Doc finally back to his old self. I ended up so giddy whenever the Hoverboard came into play in the final act.

Also:

They managed to make the timeline even more screwed up than the Zelda Timeline, and I praise Telltale for accomplishing that.

mclem said:
Anyhow, my logic here: Doc aged naturally but kept in good stead with his father. This is what creates his new future, meaning he'll enter the events of BTTF1-3 with the attitude that he wants to get back to 1986 to keep the foundation alive. That's the question: How does he get back to 1986 with Clara? Time train, original DeLorean or duplicate DeLorean? Original DeLorean suggests forward planning, while the other two options are much more restricting.
I see no reason to believe the BTTF3 events didn't happen pretty much as we saw them. Doc always planned on getting back to 1985 before destroying the DeLorean anyway, so it's not like wanting to be back in the 1980s for an additional reason would change that.

So if there's anyone out there reading this spoiler-filled thread but who hasn't jumped in yet, the game is 50% off today on Steam. You don't get an eventual physical copy of the game as with a TellTale order, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
About an hour or so into Episode 1 so far, really really enjoying it. Although I worry they aren't going to take advantage of the time travel aspect as much as they could.

Example"
I'm pretty sure there are no time-shattering effects from going into the future and bringing alcohol back. Why am I forced to track it down in 1931?

Snaku

Banned
Finally had a chance to sit down and power through Episode 5. Quite a satisfying 'conclusion' to be honest. I was a little irritated by the bugs (especially the game killing one) and sound glitches (
after the first future Delorian came back
almost no sound fx played, just voices and music), which I hope will be addressed via patches. I also hope TT's QA gets a little better at their job with Jurassic Park.

StevieP

Banned
KittenMaster said:
Finally beat it.

Huge improvement over Episode 4.

Also:

They managed to make the timeline even more screwed up than the Zelda Timeline, and I praise Telltale for accomplishing that.

Pretty much agree with that. Just finished Ep5 and I must say... although there was a rush going on in some of the settings and not much to really explore, the story and characters kept me moving forward. The writing was also much better in this one, despite the wacky ending that made little sense but was awesome to watch!

I think everything at the Telltale store is 75% off right now as well (according to my BTTF menu), for those who want to do some shopping.

Edit:
is there any way that Edna is Bif's grandma in the second movie, in the past? The screetching is eerily similar hahaha

StevieP said:
Edit:
is there any way that Edna is Bif's grandma in the second movie, in the past? The screetching is eerily similar hahaha
A) She doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Tannens past the bombing in the original timeline. Don't know why she would be caring for Biff. B) She's not THAT much older. If Biff was calling her "grandma", she'd kick his ass. :p

Just finished off the fifth episode. Still collecting my thoughts in a way, I could have done without (ending)
the multiple Martys scene at the end, that struck me wrong for some reason.
I liked the ending otherwise, but it felt almost like
there was an Old West episode that had to be axed down to just the introduction and climax

It was too bad about the sound glitches in the ending, no sound from the DeLorean at least twice when they're obviously supposed to be there.

New to the game, here. I've only played the demo but just purchased this from the psn summer sale section. So is episode 5 not out on psn yet or am I missing something?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
MoonsaultSlayer said:
New to the game, here. I've only played the demo but just purchased this from the psn summer sale section. So is episode 5 not out on psn yet or am I missing something?
It's not out yet and a date hasn't been announced that I know of. Hopefully before then end of July.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Just got up to and finished episode 4. I'm a little surprised that it ended so quickly.

When is episode 5 coming out on PSN again? October?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ellis Kim said:
Just got up to and finished episode 4. I'm a little surprised that it ended so quickly.

Hopefully soon or I'm buying it on PC.

Ellis Kim said:

If you go buy the release schedule/timing in the OP the PSN should get E5 in the beginning of august.

Just purchased this by the way. DL now all 4 now. Can't wait to play.

Jake

PSN (north america, at least) release is July 26th.

BTTF Ep 5 will be out in the App Store for iOS folks on July 21.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just finished Episode 5! Hahahaha, what an ending! I seriously loved every single episode. They were all very good.

Amory

Yep, I'm stuck between 2 walls with no way to proceed. Well this sucks.

What can I do? If I start over will this just happen again?

Amory Blaine said:
Yep, I'm stuck between 2 walls with no way to proceed. Well this sucks.

What can I do? If I start over will this just happen again?

You could be a bit more specific...

Is it episode 5, that home of the future thing where the walls are supposed to slide but they aren't?

Tizoc

Hah I beat the game a few days ago, I'd say I enjoyed it overall, but man the framerate on the PSN ver. was slow...

Freep5637

Neo Member
Huge bttf fan but I'm disappointed at the fact that they went with telltale. This game would have been so much better in a sandbox. They also could've worked on the controls a little bit. Definitely didn't get the bttf fix I was hoping for as in I'm the player and not on the receiving end of an interactive story book. I'd give it a 2/5 not that anyone cares.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
finally getting around to playing this and clearing it from my steam backlog.

Playing Episode 2 right now, just arrived back in 1931.... omg @ Edna's song.

mclem

Freep5637 said:
Huge bttf fan but I'm disappointed at the fact that they went with telltale. This game would have been so much better in a sandbox. They also could've worked on the controls a little bit. Definitely didn't get the bttf fix I was hoping for as in I'm the player and not on the receiving end of an interactive story book. I'd give it a 2/5 not that anyone cares.

You seem to be basically complaining about the fact that a company who makes graphic adventures, when asked to make a graphic adventure, made a graphic adventure.

I dont know if this was posted, but i came across this on Gamestops site. Im totally gonna get this come holiday. I only played the first episode that came free with my bluray box set, so this is a no brainer. Cant wait!
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/back-to-the-future/92848
270982brp.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/back-to-the-future/92849
231254brp.jpg

Freep5637

Neo Member
"You seem to be basically complaining about the fact that a company who makes graphic adventures, when asked to make a graphic adventure, made a graphic adventure."

Well, yes in a sense my first complaint is that yet went with telltale. Other than that the game looked and played cheap. That's my main complaint. No one was more excited for this game than me. It was just a bummer. Cheap point and click with shitty controls. And sorry about above quote I don't know how to do what ppl normally do from my iPhone.

Amory

HadesGigas said:
You could be a bit more specific...

Is it episode 5, that home of the future thing where the walls are supposed to slide but they aren't?

Yes, exactly that. Is there any way to fix it? Would starting over help?

Sanic

Outside of the janky and unpolished presentation, i'm enjoying my time with this so far. Just finished episode one.

Do things get more challenging from here on out?

Chip N Chance said:
I dont know if this was posted, but i came across this on Gamestops site. Im totally gonna get this come holiday. I only played the first episode that came free with my bluray box set, so this is a no brainer. Cant wait!
270982brp.jpg

231254brp.jpg

Love the cover. It would be nice if the audio on the disc versions was less compressed than the downloadable versions, but they'll probably be straight duplications of the episodes, minus a few interface changes.

Amory Blaine said:
Thanks, I'm playing on PS3 though. I guess they haven't patched it yet?

Wow that's pretty bad they let that bug get through on PS3 too...

So yeah uhh, start over and don't go in that room until you absolutely have to.

Amory

HadesGigas said:
Wow that's pretty bad they let that bug get through on PS3 too...

So yeah uhh, start over and don't go in that room until you absolutely have to.

But it's pretty early on and you absolutely have to go in there to advance! lol

Well that sucks. Overall I'm not so into the series, but I wanted to finish the last episode just to see the end of the story :( Though to be honest it didn't seem like one of the stronger episodes even from the little bit I saw.

GaimeGuy

Finished. What the FUCK @ that ending? That was nuts.
I was expecting a full sized fleet of deloreans to start showing up

Overall I would say episode 3 clearly stands out as superior to the rest. The rest are significantly closer to one another, but I would rank it as...

3 > 5 > 1 > 2 > 4

It may have been a little short and easy as far as adventure games go, but BttF is a solidly produced season of episodes that recaptures the feel of the original trilogy, while not being afraid to expand upon the time traveling conundrums, even if a little hand waving is involved (but really, there always is when it comes to time traveling stories).

The performances of AJ LoCascio and James Arnold Taylor (and, of course, Christopher Lloyd) as Marty and Emmett are perfect, and capture the essence of the two characters perfectly.

As far as voicework go, the only thing that is regrettable is the lack of Tom Wilson, but apparently his lawyer/agent never passed along a request from Telltale. If there is a season 2, and I think there will be, I hope they can get Wilson back. Kid Beyond isn't bad, but it's, well, it's just not Biff.

Even at the end of episode 5, I was still amazed at how similar to Michael J Fox AJ sounded. Aside from AJ's voice being just a tad more raspy and cracked (and maybe the tiniest of pitches deeper), it's completely spot on.

<3 Michael J Fox's cameo(s) in the final episode. Knew what they were immediately :)

Ellis Kim

Banned
Chip N Chance said:
270982brp.jpg

231254brp.jpg
Oh wow...

$30 on disc, though? I already bought the whole season... Guess its not for me.

I like how gamestop lists the ps3 one as PC, though the price will probably be the same.

GaimeGuy

Prime Blue said:
Done.

Okay, this was insane, unfortunately not the good way. It seems like they rushed through their settings too fast, simultaneously trying to tie up all the loose ends of the plot. Therefore, it is a very "hectic" episode that doesn't really let you enjoy the story. It's the pacing that destroys it – everything is pretty wishy-washy and Marty and Doc are like "let's go there, now let's go there, let's go there". I guess that was the idea behind it, but the execution is just really bleh. The cutscene where Doc dies and reappears, for instance. It loses much of its emotional impact because everything just happens too fast, you hardly have the time to follow the plot twists with all the things that are going on simultaneously. The ending was okay, I guess, but nothing too great. I like how they handled Edna and Kid in 1986, and the reason for Doc's journey to 1931. What I don't get is why he lives in 1986 now, though that was probably left intentionally vague just like the Marty...s. Great to see they're coming back with another season ("To Be Continued" at least implies that it's near-confirmed). Hopefully they'll keep the same team for it, returning main cast, Bob Gale as consultant and all.
About your confusion regarding the ending...
It seems the talk Marty was able to get Judge Brown and Emmett to have with each other at the expo, and getting Judge Brown to change so that he didn't die with a broken relationship with his son, like his father did, resulted in Emmett having a better relationship with his father.

In Episode 1, Doc, aside from some of his things and Marty, really holds no sentimental attachment to anything in the mid 1980s. But after Marty gets them to patch up their relationship, Doc's house, which lies on the foundation of his father's estate, holds a lot more meaning to Doc, and serves as a residence for him, Clara, and their kids (probably along with a residence in the 1880s/90s and the 21st century).

Basically, there are three significantly different old docs.

The one in episode 1 and 2 never connected with Edna as a teen, or played a roll in Kid Tannen's arrest. His first love was Clara. He got inspiration for the electric component of his rocket car from seeing Frankenstein.

The one in episode 3 and almost all of episode 4 (the one without the crazy hair) connected with Edna, his first and only love, as a teen, after his rocket car played a roll in the arrest of Kid Tannen. He ruled hill valley with an iron fist along with his wife Edna (although really, Edna ruled Hill Valley, Emmett just produced the technology behind the city that allowed Edna to pursue the ends of a police-state utopia) He never saw frankenstein or finished his rocket car.

The one in episode 5 is similar to the one in episode 1 and 2 (The doc we know and love), but as a teen he received his inspiration for the electric component of his rocket car a few months later ( the night before the expo, actually) from a bolt of lightning, rather than from Frankenstein. Like the one from eps 3 and 4, he hooked up with Edna after the kid tannen arrest. Edna was his first love, and he developed a better relationship with his father as a teen/young adult than the original doc from eps 1 and 2.

Hope that helps

Okay first of all, whenever someone in an Uncharted thread comes in and calls Drake a sociopathic mass murderer. I get upset because all of that happenes in filler gameplay segments and not necessarily the story. You wouldn't see all of that in an Uncharted movie, book or comic. So therefore, he is not a sociopath/mass murderer. Countless books and movies have been adapted in action videogame form with added gameplay elements to uh... add gameplay by providing more people to shoot at/take out. You with me?

But here. Here I feel completely awful about my character's actions in this game. Experiencing Marty through the story without the gameplay filler seen in action games really nailed his sociopathic personality. I honestly felt sick when
Marty stepped on the air hose making both Emmits suffer for the sake of fixing his own timeline. The anguish in old faux Doc's voice combined with the way his discomfort was animated was painful for me to watch.
Not in some kind of "I'm appalled at this game" kinda way but in a way that makes me proud to be a gamer where i can play a game that elicits such emotions for my actions.

But seriosuly, episodes 4 and 5 really made me start evaluating Marty's morals and I love the game for that. I just wish they would have touched on it in game but maybe the fact that it doesn't is more rewarding and doesn't force this view and emotion down the player's throat? Great game overall.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
But here. Here I feel completely awful about my character's actions in this game. Experiencing Marty through the story without the gameplay filler seen in action games really nailed his sociopathic personality. I honestly felt sick when
Marty stepped on the air hose making both Emmits suffer for the sake of fixing his own timeline. The anguish in old faux Doc's voice combined with the way his discomfort was animated was painful for me to watch.
Not in some kind of "I'm appalled at this game" kinda way but in a way that makes me proud to be a gamer where i can play a game that elicits such emotions for my actions.
I totally had no problems with that.
One, he wasn't doing it just for his own good, but for the good of the future of everyone in Hill Valley, including Emmett. Two, I never believed Marty would actually let Emmett die--but the alternate Doc doesn't know him well enough to know that. Three, if something awful did happen and Emmett got hurt, Marty would go back in time, push himself out of the way, and get into another episode's worth of paradox troubles.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I totally had no problems with that.
One, he wasn't doing it just for his own good, but for the good of the future of everyone in Hill Valley, including Emmett. Two, I never believed Marty would actually let Emmett die--but the alternate Doc doesn't know him well enough to know that. Three, if something awful did happen and Emmett got hurt, Marty would go back in time, push himself out of the way, and get into another episode's worth of paradox troubles.
True. Like I said, I didn't dislike it. I loved the fact that the game drew that reaction from me. I hate when people jump to that reaction with Drake just because you shoot people in gamey arena segments of the uncharted games.

I did like when doc Brown questions being erased just to help Marty's timeline. Pretty deep.

JohngPR

Anyone else had framerate issues while playing Episode 3?

The intro is running at like 20fps when all the others ran 60fps for the most part for me.

X4 Phenom 955 3.2 GHZ
AMD HD 5770
4GB RAM

EDIT: Maybe I just remember this running better than it does with every bell and whistle turned on? I just tried episode 2 and its running at 30-35 too. Huh.

EDITx2: Restarted and Episode 2 runs at 60 now but Episode 3 still runs like crap. WTF?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Question! This summer, when everyone got a month of free psn+, I bought the full BTTF 5 ep pack since it had a discount. However, episode 5 wasn't out yet then. I only now started the game and went back to psn to download ep 5. psn somehow seems to have forgotten I bought the full pack and I can't seem to download the seperate episodes. I don't even have access to them in the store.

I did however just finish the first ep and started the second, so the ones I downloaded months ago definitely work. Do I have to reactivate psn+ to get the final episode? I'd try that if I knew it'd work, because the only other option I see is to re-buy the full pack for €20. Buying 5 seperately doesn't work since I can't access the item. Seperate episodes only turn up in the euro store if you search for them. Really weird and annoying.

Top Bottom