• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

nny

PsychoRaven said:
Ok so there were some issues with the installer. First it was in German and second it required an activation key. TellTale just posted in the forums that they've replaced that installer so we need to redownload it. The new installer is 498mb now and all issues with activation should be fixed and it should work like the past releases.

I got lucky; the new installer is the one I downloaded.

ElRenoRaven

Beware there appears to be a game breaking bug at a point in the game. You are in an area and there is nothing to click. This is being experienced by Mac and PC users.

celebi23

PsychoRaven said:
Beware there appears to be a game breaking bug at a point in the game. You are in an area and there is nothing to click. This is being experienced by Mac and PC users.

Huh, that sucks. Is there an ETA of when it might be fixed?

PsychoRaven said:

Ack, I just quit out to see about this. I'm stuck there.

StevieP

Banned
Telltale really needs more thorough QA. The bugs have gotten worse each episode, and this one had a lot more time to cook than the other ones.

Danj

celebi23 said:
Huh, that sucks. Is there an ETA of when it might be fixed?

Aw man, I was all excited and getting ready to go download this ep, but if it's broken I guess I better not bother :(

ElRenoRaven

There is a big thread on their forums. It seems it's a bug they thought they fixed but didn't. IT seems that if you do the glass house stuff before you deal with Edna it works. It's if you have dealt with Edna already that it breaks.

They have been sent some save files from people affected and are working on fixing it they say. No ETA but if you want to finish the game restart and do the glasshouse stuff first. Then you can progress like normal.

so episode 5 is the last one, right? I bought the five as a set way back when (only played the first two...gonna go through the last three in a row). How do I get the physical copy again?

ElRenoRaven

Linkzg said:
so episode 5 is the last one, right? I bought the five as a set way back when (only played the first two...gonna go through the last three in a row). How do I get the physical copy again?

The last one of this season yes. And to get a physical copy you have to wait till they put it up in their store. Once they do all you'll have to pay for it's shipping and handling. The disc will be free though. It isn't up yet though and will probably be a bit before they do put it up in the store to get.

topramen

I like these games alot, but I was disappointed to spend so much time in 1931. There should have been more variety in the areas you visit I think. Compared to something like Sam and Max I think the overarching story is sort of limited. you know?

ElRenoRaven

topramen said:
I like these games alot, but I was disappointed to spend so much time in 1931. There should have been more variety in the areas you visit I think. Compared to something like Sam and Max I think the overarching story is sort of limited. you know?

I do agree that the description was a bit misleading. It really wasn't a chase through time like they made it out to be. But it was damn good. The only complaints I have with this series is the big ass bug in the finale here. If it didn't have these game breaking bugs in the glass house area of this episode the series would be a strong 9 for me.

ElRenoRaven

Ok update from Telltale about what the problem is.

TTG - Caleb said:
Thanks to everyone who sent in save games. We think we've isolated the cause of the issue. Do NOT go into the glass house before you talk to the diver about where Emmet is. It seems very likely that this is what's causing the problem.

We're working on testing a fix for this and a few other reported issues right now. As soon as all the fixes are in and confirmed to work (an not to break anything else!), we'll be putting up a patched version of the game.

I don't have an exact ETA for this, but it's a very high priority for us. Rest assured, it'll be released as soon as possible.

Done.

Okay, this was insane, unfortunately not the good way. It seems like they rushed through their settings too fast, simultaneously trying to tie up all the loose ends of the plot. Therefore, it is a very "hectic" episode that doesn't really let you enjoy the story. It's the pacing that destroys it – everything is pretty wishy-washy and Marty and Doc are like "let's go there, now let's go there, let's go there". I guess that was the idea behind it, but the execution is just really bleh. The cutscene where Doc dies and reappears, for instance. It loses much of its emotional impact because everything just happens too fast, you hardly have the time to follow the plot twists with all the things that are going on simultaneously. The ending was okay, I guess, but nothing too great. I like how they handled Edna and Kid in 1986, and the reason for Doc's journey to 1931. What I don't get is why he lives in 1986 now, though that was probably left intentionally vague just like the Marty...s. Great to see they're coming back with another season ("To Be Continued" at least implies that it's near-confirmed). Hopefully they'll keep the same team for it, returning main cast, Bob Gale as consultant and all.

L00P

Just finished this. LOL at the ending! It's just messed up!

also seems like season 2 is coming!

ElRenoRaven

So I did some testing on the Glasshouse glitch and have confirmed what TellTale said. You can do the objectives in any order as long as you do not set a foot in the glasshouse before talking to the Diver guy to find out that the Young doc and FCB are in there. It's only when you go in there before talking to him when Marty says nobody's in here that it causes the game breaking glitch. Thought I'd mention that for those who don't want to do that before you deal with Edna.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just finished it. Wow.

PsychoRaven said:
Ok update from Telltale about what the problem is.
It's not that. I went there after talking to him, and still got the glitch. Thankfully they put up a save I could use.

ElRenoRaven

Jocchan said:
Just finished it. Wow.

It's not that. I went there after talking to him, and still got the glitch. Thankfully they put up a save I could use.

Yes but did you go into there before you ever talked to him? If you did that's what caused the glitch. If you went in there before and Marty said that nobody was in there then that's the moment that causes the glitch. Everyone I've seen has said they went in there before talking to the guy and had that happen to them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PsychoRaven said:
Yes but did you go into there before you ever talked to him? If you did that's what caused the glitch. If you went in there before and Marty said that nobody was in there then that's the moment that causes the glitch. Everyone I've seen has said they went in there before talking to the guy and had that happen to them.
Oh. Yeah, I did do that. Sorry for the confusion.

ElRenoRaven

Jocchan said:
Oh. Yeah, I did do that. Sorry for the confusion.

No biggy. That's the thing with it being a glitch. That moment shouldn't cause the issues it is. So they say they'll be fixing it and either patching or releasing an updated ch 5 installer when they get it fixed. Till then just play it like normal but avoid the glass house till after the diver guy says he saw them go into it.

aparisi2274

Just finished the final epsiode and all I have to say is WOW! Such a great experience. I guess that
there will be a sequel of some sort, since it says "To Be Continued" at the end of the episode

I was glad that
MJF played a bigger role than just Great, Great, Grandpa Willian

Also, can someone explain to me what Doc says at the end of the episode. It was like the BGM was louder than the voice dialogue and I couldn't really make it out...
were they going to jump to some other point in the present? Or what? Not sure where they were going to correct the broken timelines...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PsychoRaven said:
No biggy. That's the thing with it being a glitch. That moment shouldn't cause the issues it is. So they say they'll be fixing it and either patching or releasing an updated ch 5 installer when they get it fixed. Till then just play it like normal but avoid the glass house till after the diver guy says he saw them go into it.
I thought
"entering the glass house before talking to the guy" meant "entering the glass house and finding Emmett and Sagan inside before talking to the guy"
, hence the confusion. It was actually the first place I entered
once I got the tickets
, and I didn't get back there till much later (when I was supposed to), so I didn't know what (exactly) triggered them to be there.

ElRenoRaven

Jocchan said:
I thought
"entering the glass house before talking to the guy" meant "entering the glass house and finding Emmett and Sagan inside before talking to the guy"
, hence the confusion. It was actually the first place I entered
once I got the tickets
, and I didn't get back there till much later (when I was supposed to), so I didn't know what (exactly) triggered them to be there.

Yea. That's what most do. We get the tickets then go exploring. Of course we're going to enter the glasshouse. It actually kind of surprises me that they didn't think of that when testing it. The rest of the series had been pretty bug free for me.

Also I guess I should give my thoughts. I loved the entire series. The final episode here was amazing. I so didn't want it to end. It was that good. I also really hope there is another season. I know I'll be buying it without a doubt if there is and
based off that ending I really hope there will be

ElRenoRaven

Ok TellTale has put up a new build of Episode 5 for download that should fix the problem. The episode now weighs in at 499mb. If you have previously installed it you will want to go and uninstall Episode 5 only. Then reinstall from the new installer.

Still haven't beaten Episode 3. 1 and 2 were major disappointments, both in writing, puzzles, and environment. I know people said 3 was better, but I really have no investment to finish this series. Honestly, if I remove nostalgia from the equation, I really think Sam and Max Season 2 is the only game they've made that I've really enjoyed. As a diehard Monkey Island fan (aloneonmonkeyisland.com, my website, should show some appreciation to the series), I was really annoyed by some of the aspects/liberties they took with the series.

With the handling of Back to the Future, I don't know if I'll get Jurassic Park on day 1. I'll wait for a sale.

Bleh, hitting a brick wall of graphical/audio glitches in the part where
You're chasing Edna and you need to hoverboard.
Guess I'll download the new version and see if that helps...

ElRenoRaven

Odd. Haven't seen anyone mention problems there. I did test the new build and sure enough the Glasshouse puzzle works perfectly now. I could continue on and didn't experience the walking through the floor glitch like I did the second play through either. So it does appear that they have that game breaking bug fixed along with the other one.

Just finished Episode 5 and I must say:
This might be one of the best licensed games of all time (Hohoho, puns!).

Also (spoilers, don't highlight if you haven't finished Episode 5 yet!)
They're planning a sequel? COUNT ME THE FUCK IN!!!

I fucking love the BTTF movies and I really love this game.
Am I the only one who wants to see a CGI movie made out of this? With the same voice actors and all?

Telltale is one of the only companies right now that doesn't fail to make me happy.

Just beat the game, that ending was ridiculous, lol.
Kinda bummed there was no trip to the future at all, espeically since the description of this episode basically promised one. Also, season two confirmation basically, nice.

Prime Blue said:
Done.

What I don't get is why he lives in 1986 now, though that was probably left intentionally vague just like the Marty...s.

He lives in 1986 now because you changed the past so that his father supported him, he has a science foundation and shit like that now. In the original timeline he was much more of an outcast, a reclusive crazy old man.

HadesGigas said:
He lives in 1986 now because you changed the past so that his father supported him, he has a science foundation and shit like that now. In the original timeline he was much more of an outcast, a reclusive crazy old man.
Ah, I didn't think about that.
I just thought it was because...yeah well, timeline changed a bit. Totally forgot to take Doc's father's support into account.

Sblargh

Banned
Enjoyed the ending, was a bit bummed about all the time spent on 1931, didn't think it was rushed. I was afraid that
hill valley missing
was going to be a cliffhanger. I was happy to see that was resolved.
As for the build-up to season 2; yeah, it was insane, but a good insane.
I think part of the intention with the final puzzle was to show how very possible is for a scenario like that to happen. Like, "hey, look, 2 deloreans, one it is the doc from the future who got the key to the city and the other one was here. Easy, right? Ok, now multiple deloreans will be a theme.
It was nice seeing the journey, even if I don't know if I can re-tell right now what happened between episodes 1 and 5, but I'll try to sumarize a list of nice things I remember:

The opening of episode one.
Young doc thanking Marty for helping him with science even when knowing he was not from the patent office.
Manipulating Officer Parker's emotions through songs on episode 2.
Trying to impress Marty's alternative girlfriend on episode 3.
Old alternative doc feeling bad for young Edna. That one happened so naturally, which is difficulty given the bizarre nature of the storyline on episode 4.
Recreating crazy old Edna memories was a very nice sequence of simple intuitive puzzles on episode 5; but what I think I enjoyed more was how the relationship between doc and his father ended up on a good note. The entire story set up this tale of a boy challenging his father, that it ended on the opposite side of episode 1 was good.

ElRenoRaven

kiryogi said:
Bleh... Did Telltale's site just die or something? Can't start it up D:

Judging by the time you made that post you probably tried to get the site during it's daily maintenance. It goes down for a little bit every morning for the automated maintenance stuff to do it's thing. It's usually back up within 30 mins.

mclem

PsychoRaven said:
The rest of the series had been pretty bug free for me.

I generally don't have time to play each episode immediately when they're released; I have to leave 'em for the weekend. It looks like that allows me to miss the worst of the immediate bugs, at least!

What's up next for TTG? Puzzle Agent 2 or Jurassic Park?

Prime Blue said:
What I don't get is why he lives in 1986 now, though that was probably left intentionally vague just like the Marty...s.

Because Emmett reconciled his issues with his father in the expo - which didn't happen in the previous timeline - they remained as a family and so father set up a prize for great works in science which Emmett now awards. Because he needs to keep that tradition going, he moved back to 1986 after BTTF3.

In other words, much like how George's timeline was subtly changed for the better by the end of BTTF1, Doc's timeline was changed to get him back into 1986 in the series.

General thoughts: I'm starting to sound like a bit of a stuck record, but I've never truly been disappointed with TTG's stuff. I'll concede they rarely produce absolute *gems*, but they're reliable entertainment for a short period each month, and I appreciate it. The same's true here.
I do hope the sequel tease comes to pass.

High point of the episode was when
we got a slightly different view of the "fading out when they no longer exist" idea, when *Hill Valley itself* was destroyed. Nice to see a brief snippet of the Western era, too, and I do think that pulley puzzle was one of the best non-wordplay ones Telltale has ever produced.

I did start wondering why
"Carl Sagan" was just fine to interact directly with Young Emmett, given the previous explanations about bad things that happen when you bump into your past selves. But I guess that may have been intentional given that they threw on layer after layer of similar things in the ending.

mclem said:
I did start wondering why
"Carl Sagan" was just fine to interact directly with Young Emmett, given the previous explanations about bad things that happen when you bump into your past selves. But I guess that may have been intentional given that they threw on layer after layer of similar things in the ending.
The problem is, if Young You knows it's Old You, that's going go affect you, and you might not end up the same Old You. Especially if Old You doesn't have the memory of this happening when you were Young You. However, we've seen exactly this sort of situation before in Back to the Future II: Young Biff doesn't recognize Old Biff for what he is, and Old Biff doesn't care about preserving history.

JoshuaJSlone said:
The problem is, if Young You knows it's Old You, that's going go affect you, and you might not end up the same Old You. Especially if Old You doesn't have the memory of this happening when you were Young You. However, we've seen exactly this sort of situation before in Back to the Future II: Young Biff doesn't recognize Old Biff for what he is, and Old Biff doesn't care about preserving history.
Yeah, but at the end of Episode 5 we see several future Martys talking to young (present) Marty and no space-time-continuum is imploding in that moment. Noone passed out either (like what happened to Jennifer in BTTF2). To me that means that Doc's calculations don't ALWAYS have to come true. I'm fine with that. :D

mclem

Bjoern the Smexy said:
Yeah, but at the end of Episode 5 we see several future Martys talking to young (present) Marty and no space-time-continuum is imploding in that moment. Noone passed out either (like what happened to Jennifer in BTTF2). To me that means that Doc's calculations don't ALWAYS have to come true. I'm fine with that. :D

Part of it could be because Marty's already pretty comfortable with the idea of time travel and parallel universes, so from his point of view, all this is a surprise, but doesn't go against his fundamental understanding of reality

I wonder if the "To be continued..." has actually been locked in with a deal made, or is it just that talks are going on? I also wonder how MJF is at the moment, and if he's actually considering a long-term 'older Marty' gig. I do gather that he still does a fair amount of public speaking, at least.

Game Guru

mclem said:
Part of it could be because Marty's already pretty comfortable with the idea of time travel and parallel universes, so from his point of view, all this is a surprise, but doesn't go against his fundamental understanding of reality

Yeah, Marty is as confused as anyone would be in that situation, but not shocked enough to faint at the series of events like Jennifer was. At this point, Marty has already seen his past self at least thrice. Seeing three future alternate versions of himself isn't that much different for him.

Bjoern the Smexy said:
Heh, true enough. Maybe one (or all) of those Marties remember this happening, though. :) Too crazy.

Based on some of the story ideas they tossed around in a poll last year, I at first thought it was Marty Jr. arriving from the future.

mclem

I've just thought that we're now in a timeline quite significantly divorced how it was at the end of BTTF3.

If I'm reading it right, the DeLorean Doc turns up in halfway through Episode 5 is the original DeLorean from the movies - we have to conclude that he stipulated that it shouldn't be destroyed (maybe he wants to nip off to visit Clara's family from time to time?) at the end of the third film.

This does suggest that the time train was, alas, never built. I do wonder exactly where it diverted - did the events at the end of BTTF2 - splitting the DeLorean - no longer occur? Or is there still a second DeLorean somewhere in the timestream?

Also, I do want to see exactly how the Strickland family tree breaks down now. Is Principal Strickland Biff's father? Uncle?

Yeah, I'm overthinking all this. But it's BTTF! It's *made* to be overthought!

I'm somehow doing an amazing job at avoiding all these spoilers until ep 5 hits the PSN. :)

Just one question: Has season 2 been actually confirmed or is it just speculation? Also, does the ending imply that there'll be more? (I don't mind being spoilt for that, it's just story specifics I'm avoiding)

Gustav

Banned
Itchy//Tasty said:
I'm somehow doing an amazing job at avoiding all these spoilers until ep 5 hits the PSN. :)

Just one question: Has season 2 been actually confirmed or is it just speculation? Also, does the ending imply that there'll be more? (I don't mind being spoilt for that, it's just story specifics I'm avoiding)

Nothing has been announced officially.
It says "to be continued" after the ending, though.

Top Bottom