• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

naguanatak

is this you Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes ?

uT2OHXf.png

Either rhetorically strong troll bait or vile and disgusting.
Happy to have purchased a game that feels like I've travelled more than 20 years into the past, but with todays gaming technologies. More power to devs like this :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

Pakoe

Yes, if you don't want to miss stuff in Act 1: go to the Underdark but don't take the elevator that gives you an unfinished business prompt. When you've finished exploring the region, double back and do the mountain pass option instead.
This confused me, thanks I thought I was done with Act 1.
Welp, time to start it up again.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Finally bought it and bought a copy also for my buddy. We going to do a co-op run with both steam decks while at it. So will be interesting to see how it goes.

I am sure going to like it, played 600 hours in divinity 2 so yea.

k3CrWnN.jpg

Lol @ "Controllerlay-out". And lol @ the nonsensical mix of Dutch and English. Are you good people not protecting your language down there?

But yeah; that's great, you'll have a great time. The game is incredible. I was thinking of buying a copy for my son on Xbox so that we could do cross-platform co-op - But then I realized..

Last edited:

geary

I think i might be overleveled now :D.
I am at the Adamantium Forge in Underdark and dinged level 6. Also i heard it's a boss here....(49 hours on the clock).

Last edited:

FireFly

I think 12 is the highest light armour goes. Better than this just light armours that come with special properties.
According to this wiki page, they go higher:

Apparently the Studded Leather Armour is in the Underdark.
what do i do then if that's the best i can get?

how do i become proficient in med/heavy armors?
You can pick up the moderately armored feat at levels 4, 8 or 12. It also gives you +1 dex and shield proficiency. Or I know if you are a Bard you can pick the College of Valour subclass at level 3.

Doom85

what do i do then if that's the best i can get?

how do i become proficient in med/heavy armors?

Well, I’m not sure how it will work specifically in BG 3, but in D&D 5E (which BG3 is based on, but does change some rules) your AC is generally determined by your type of armor (wearing no armor is 10 AC, and then any armor will be higher than that based on the quality of it) and your Dexterity modifier. Now some medium and all heavier armors will restrict the Dex modifier bonus, some limiting it to +2 (you can still have your Dex stat higher, you just won’t get the bonus modifier for your AC more than +2) and the heavy armors usually ignoring Dex entirely (usually these are about 16-18 AC).

You also have Shields which add +2 though you need proficiency with them as well.

Like in my first D&D campaign, I had a Dwarf Rogue who had light armor proficiency and her armor was 11. At level 1, her Dex was 15 so she got a +2 modifier so her total AC was 13. When she hit level 4, rather than increase a stat by 2 (or two stats by 1 each), I took a Feat that gave her +1 Dex and proficiency in medium armor and shields. Her Dex was now at 16 so she has a +3 modifier now plus she bought a shield so an extra +2, resulting in an AC of 16.

If Feats are in the game, you should be able to get one at certain levels that lets you be proficient in medium armor and shields (and I see as I was typing this someone confirmed Feats are in the game). Mind you, this does mean you miss out on adding 2 to one stat or 1 to two different stats, so think carefully before going for a Feat (the medium armor one does give +1 to Dex so it does have that at least).

Last edited:
Random love note to BG3 #12: I'm so glad I played Divinity: Original Sin 2 a couple years ago before playing this game, as I was able to jump in without much of a learning curve and just enjoy all the depth BG3 has on offer.

Well, I’m not sure how it will work specifically in BG 3, but in D&D 5E (which BG3 is based on, but does change some rules) your AC is generally determined by your type of armor (wearing no armor is 10 AC, and then any armor will be higher than that based on the quality of it) and your Dexterity modifier. Now some medium and all heavier armors will restrict the Dex modifier bonus, some limiting it to +2 (you can still have your Dex stat higher, you just won’t get the bonus modifier for your AC more than +2) and the heavy armors usually ignoring Dex entirely (usually these are about 16-18 AC).

You also have Shields which add +2 though you need proficiency with them as well.

Like in my first D&D campaign, I had a Dwarf Rogue who had light armor proficiency and her armor was 11. At level 1, her Dex was 15 so she got a +2 modifier so her total AC was 13. When she hit level 4, rather than increase a stat by 2 (or two stats by 1 each), I took a Feat that gave her +1 Dex and proficiency in medium armor and shields. Her Dex was now at 16 so she has a +3 modifier now plus she bought a shield so an extra +2, resulting in an AC of 16.

If Feats are in the game, you should be able to get one at certain levels that lets you be proficient in medium armor and shields (and I see as I was typing this someone confirmed Feats are in the game). Mind you, this does mean you miss out on adding 2 to one stat or 1 to two different stats, so think carefully before going for a Feat (the medium armor one does give +1 to Dex so it does have that at least).
thanks! that's a lot to take in. i've never played anything D&D before so all the rules are overwhelming lol.

i think my character is lvl 3 so i'll wait and see what happens when i level up again.

Guilty_AI

According to this wiki page, they go higher:

Apparently the Studded Leather Armour is in the Underdark.
seems so, however it looks to be fairly rare stuff, so not exactly reliable.

@nightmare-slain as it was said before, you can gain armor proficiency in the future when you level up, however i'd rather advise you to adapt your playstyle to whatever class you're playing as. There are spells that increase your defense, you can hide, you can use a tank character to protect your, etc.

seems so, however it looks to be fairly rare stuff, so not exactly reliable.

@nightmare-slain as it was said before, you can gain armor proficiency in the future when you level up, however i'd rather advise you to adapt your playstyle to whatever class you're playing as. There are spells that increase your defense, you can hide, you can use a tank character to protect your, etc.
my other characters have light armor too but yeah my MC is half elf sorcerer so she can do spells n shit.

Madflavor

Gold Member
So BG3 was already a 10/10 experience for me, but last night I did an optional dungeon in Act 3, that I think is supposed to be this game's "Super Dungeon" that leads to the "Super Optional Boss". But that whole dungeon and encounters have cemented this game as one of the GOAT. Easily in my Top 5. If you've done the dungeon, you know the one I'm talking about.

LMAO funny thing just happened in the Underdark

Met the dwarf who got himself caught in a Blibberbang field. Tried throwing a Misty Step scroll to him, but failed the 10 roll check, even though I had a +4 from Strength. Decided to "sneak" over to him, but forgot my companions don't give af and blew it all up. The mushrooms unleash poison which then ignites the whole field. My frame rate went from 100+ to 6fps and only a quarter of the explosions had started. I reloaded because I was worried my computer was going to explode lol

I haven't re-loaded much in this game at all, but when I fail due to not really understanding the mechanics, I allow myself to do so, like in this case.

ThisIsMyDog

So BG3 was already a 10/10 experience for me, but last night I did an optional dungeon in Act 3, that I think is supposed to be this game's "Super Dungeon" that leads to the "Super Optional Boss". But that whole dungeon and encounters have cemented this game as one of the GOAT. Easily in my Top 5. If you've done the dungeon, you know the one I'm talking about.
The one with dragon?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Guys i found the culprit of my bad performance, it was the fucking larian launcher

if you launch the game from the exe of the games folder you will skip it and the stuttering and lag will be gone

or you can add in launch option in steam this command --skip-launcher
Interesting. I have no performance issues so far but i'll try skipping it too.

Aenima

Why cant i find this game for pre-order for PS5 in physical format? With less than a month to launch was expecting this game to be highlighted by most game shops, instead, its almost it dont exist outside the digital world.

ThisIsMyDog

Why cant i find this game for pre-order for PS5 in physical format? With less than a month to launch was expecting this game to be highlighted by most game shops, instead, its almost it dont exist outside the digital world.
This game is only digital even on PS5.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Weird, I went up the elevator from the Grymforge and got achievement "Leave Act One". So I assumed the game counts entering Shadowlands as starting Act 2.

It does, that's why there's a huge "tie up any loose ends before proceeding" prompts.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Spent 13 hours in act three without even getting to the upper city area. The game just keeps getting better and better, all plot points are converging, decisions I made dozens of hours ago are coming back to inform outcomes now. I have a general idea of where I'm going to direct things but even then it's a grey area, which is the sign of a great story.

On a self-prescribed "be a human" break to go to a a gig tonight and a BBQ tomorrow, but other than that, all I want to do is play BG3.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Spent 13 hours in act three without even getting to the upper city area. The game just keeps getting better and better, all plot points are converging, decisions I made dozens of hours ago are coming back to inform the plot now. I have a general idea of where I'm going to direct the story but even then it's a grey area, which is the sign of a great story.

On a self-prescribed "be a human" break to go to a a gig tonight and a BBQ tomorrow, but other than that, all I want to do is play BG3.
Did Larian manage to iron out bugs somewhat with the hotfixes?

amigastar

Question, how big is the Baldurs Gate City part in Act 2. As far as i know we see the full city not before Act 3 but what about Act 2?

Life

Need a save file right when you enter the Temple Inner Sanctum in Act 2 after the Gauntlet Trials. I'm pretty much stuck and would appreciate if someone can send me their save file.

Kaachan

I'm 26 hours into the game and i don't wanna rush into Act 2 so i stray around and try to find remaining things to do in Act 1. Honestly it's a bit tiresome i just wanna move on.
I'm a bit over level 5 1/2. Thing is i don't know what leads me into Act 2.

It took me 60 hours ish before I headed onto act 2 and I'm so glad I didn't rush it. (Didn't help that I spent at least 2 hours trying to beat the Zhulk boss on Tactician mode :messenger_grinning_sweat:)

Point is, the difficulty spike is real and completing everything in act 1 is really rewarding since all the quests in act 2 are interconnected in some way

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Man I wish I could get into that game but that's a genre that bores me...Anyway it seems like a great game and an even bigger feat what Larian achieved with this game have fun guys sadly this one ain't for me.

geary

It took me 60 hours ish before I headed onto act 2 and I'm so glad I didn't rush it. (Didn't help that I spent at least 2 hours trying to beat the Zhulk boss on Tactician mode :messenger_grinning_sweat:)

Point is, the difficulty spike is real and completing everything in act 1 is really rewarding since all the quests in act 2 are interconnected in some way
51 hours in and just finished the boss in the Underdark. Now moving to Mountain Pass and after to Act 2...
I dont understand how people finish Act 1 in 20-30 hours, unless they rush through it and leave side quest behind.

Last edited:

AV

Did Larian manage to iron out bugs somewhat with the hotfixes?

I haven't encountered anything yet in act 3. Not saying it isn't there.

51 hours in and just finished the boss in the Underdark. Now moving to Mountain Pass and after to Act 2...
I dont understand how people finish Act 1 in 20-30 hours, unless they rush through it and leave side quest behind.

Depends how you play. I intentionally left a TON of act 1 undiscovered for a second playthrough, you can totally just move on if you like. A friend did 120 hours in his first go and was absurdly broken way way before the end

Belthazar

After getting it right with Original Sin 1 and 2 it's so weird that they butchered local coop by forcing split screen. Their dynamic-screen solution was ideal for this kind of game and on this it's so damn cumbersome. Hopefully they get it sorted out by the time it releases on PS5.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Hot take possibly but after the awkward stupid scenes in FFXVI and now here, this game just seals this for me.....sex in videogames does nothing for it and is completely unnecessary. Sorry not sorry

Can anyone help a brother out with a bug/issue? Maybe slightly spoilery (I'm at the end of Act I):

I have a journal entry to Rescue the Druid Halsin and to meet him in The Grove, but he's in my camp and I don't have dialogue options other than asking him how he's liking the camp. I've gone back to the Emerald Grove to see if he'll pop up, but no dice.

Top Bottom