• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

people that have finished the game , is act3 and the ending that bad ? i keep seeing that alot of people compare it to the ending of mass effect 3
I think Larian is absolutely going to expand it down the line. The denouement doesn't seem as fleshed-out as it could be, and at least one companion's story is unsatisfying and unfinished. But the actual gameplay and plot prior to the denouement was satisfying, imo.

T4keD0wN

people that have finished the game , is act3 and the ending that bad ? i keep seeing that alot of people compare it to the ending of mass effect 3
Ngl, it did remind of mass effect 3s endings, (that was like my first thought after rolling credits) but its not that level of bad. My main complaint is the lack of proper epilogue and how abrupt and awkward the "good" endings are. I didnt mind the bad ones.

I would adore some sort of an extended cut dlc or an update for the endings and maybe some extra/alternative resolutions for certain stories in act 3. Theres apparently a lot of cut content from act 3 so maybe it will happen.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Patch 1 now live (about 2 gigs).

Perhaps I should take a break from the game and wait for the patch.
"This" as in patch 1 or patch 2?
2Rce3.gif

Fools idol

Banned

he echoes a lot of my personal tastes as well.

WotR may not be as production quality as Bg3, and is certainly more complex, but is the better cROG overall for it's depth and incredible systems. The mythic path system
for example letting you become an unstoppable force of destruction towards the end of the game is an incredible power trip fantasy, and makes the game go from a 9 to a 10/10.

BG3 is also a 10/10 for different reasons, it's reactivity, it's scope, its production value and overall package. It's quite unfair to compare them tbh.

BG3 is a lot more accessible and simplified rules for the average player, WoTR is for the hardcore / niche players that want genuine bone crush difficulty but near perfectly balanced execution of it. If you really do your homework on Pathfinder you can play a very deep run

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
OK I get that people are finishing the game and such, but people are leaning into kind of Spoiler territory even without mentioning names/details...like you can kind of put 2 and 2 together etc.

Please be mindful of those that are 60 hours deep and still in Act 1 like a Walrus please lol.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Anyone comparing it to ME3 needs a sharp slap. Not even close.

However it DOES feel a bit underbaked. There's at least one very large plotline that never really gave me a proper resolution based on the choices I made which was a bit jarring. It's not a "slideshow" ending but a string of small cutscenes based on a few decisions, but even that could be way more given you've just spent 80 hours making a whole bunch of those decisions. We know for a fact that certain companions do not have alternative endings because they were cut - for now.

It's still a good and satisfying conclusion but the journey is the fun part. I'm sure they'll expand it a lot in the definitive edition.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Why on earth the game stores save files in two locations (App Data and within Steam folders) and eating up double the SSD space? What's the point in all this?

Last edited:

scydrex

Thinking of buying this game for PS5. Is the deluxe edition worth it? How is the soundtrack of this game? Thx.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just found a fun bug, if you have any item that grants +Con you can flip between that and another item in the same slot to full heal yourself for free outside of combat. Not really a game breaker given the game's rest system but still.

If you have Amazon Prime, Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Theives is available to watch for free.

It's cool to hear and see references like the Harper's, Tieflings or in game locations like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter.

Plus, there's an owlbear.

If you have Amazon Prime, Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Theives is available to watch for free.

It's cool to hear and see references like the Harper's, Tieflings or in game locations like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter.

Plus, there's an owlbear.
Good shout. I watched that before playing BG3 and knowing nothing about D&D and liked it a lot. Itd be fun to watch it again with more context.

AV

Obviously, colossal spoilers in the below. But this is absolutely insane. You can beat a game some people spent 150 hours with in 5 minutes WITHOUT glitching if you know where to go, and you can even beat the game legitimately without even seeing act 3. Unreal.

Pakoe

Currently in Act 3, about 20 hours I'm guessing of a total of 85 hours.
Encountered one bug where a sidequest doesn't progress. Other than that there aren't any issues.

Obviously, colossal spoilers in the below. But this is absolutely insane. You can beat a game some people spent 150 hours with in 5 minutes WITHOUT glitching if you know where to go, and you can even beat the game legitimately without even seeing act 3. Unreal.

Definitely gonna watch this after I finish the game. Love how speedrunners come up with these tricks.

Last edited:

Doom85

About one week until the PS5 version unlocks (since I got the deluxe version, so Act 1 is available three days early). The hype train conductor in my head is pushing the train to ludicrous speed.

Eric Andre GIF

Skifi28

I just realised after 70 hours you can sheathe and unsheathe your weapon during exploration by pressing U, I love little details like these. Also, the everburn blade you can get at the tutorial can now sheathable after the patch and appears normally in cutscenes.

Denton

In Act 3, quest Save Vanra (the kid), when you kill (again)
Ethel, is there a possibility to save the three guys with the whispering masks?
Only one who took it off was that captain grisly, the other three are just on their knees whining, with no possible interaction. I cannot pickpocket the masks off them either.

Zathalus

I am sad. Wanted to eventually play a Paladin but there is no Carsomyr or even a generic Holy Avenger.

Hopefully it can be added in a patch.

I accidentally knocked out AUNTIE ETHEL and then killed her, and when I went to loot her, she had over 1600 gold and a dozen magical items. I was extremely surprised by the amount of things I managed to get from her.
Then I entered the room and found several jars of potions. Can you tell me what their functions are?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
About one week until the PS5 version unlocks (since I got the deluxe version, so Act 1 is available three days early). The hype train conductor in my head is pushing the train to ludicrous speed.

Eric Andre GIF

You are going to fucking LOVE this game! I haven't had this much fun in an RPG in ages. Choices and options exist everywhere and I fucking mean ANYWHERE, you might think you are just walking across some normal scene and its like "persuade this person not to kill his wife for cheating" lol This is one of those RPGs that we are going to talk about for a long ass time.

Shiiiiiiiit I might fuck around and double dip myself lol

I got at least 3 to 4 playthroughs planned.

lmimmfn lmimmfn truth, I'm just letting it all play out. The gamer in me wants to redo as save and win ALL DICE ROLLS, but i resisted this and just allowed it to play out and I'm fucking happy I did, so many crazy things happened.

Last edited:

Yoda

Just finished, Took about 90 hrs for me. Granted I've played through Act 1 5 times so I probably did that faster than most on this playthrough. One of the best RPGs I've ever played, if Act 3 was as strong as Act 1 and 2 I think it'd be the best (Act 3 is still great, but the bar set by the previous 2 just make it seem worst in comparison).

AV

Into Act 3 on my second (evil) playthrough now. I strongly suggest people do a Dark Urge run after their first run, whether they give in to the urge or resist it, the things you uncover are so intrinsic to the core plot that it almost feels like the "canon" route. Evil is a bit more disjointed and has less content overall but there's definitely still a lot of cool setpieces and conversations that come from it.

Already planning the third "neutral, resist dark urge" play for the definitive edition. Actually making notes on what I wanna do that time. The game's got a grip on me.

Denton

It seems Act 3 has such a bad performance compared to Act 1 and 2. I hope Larian will patch the game before i reach Act 3.
I had horrible, insane stuttering in Act 3 city, until I disabled vsync forced via drivers and enabled triple buffered vsync in game. Now it is smooth everywhere. Just in case you have the same issue. Originally I enabled it via drivers because ingame vsync was broken, but they fixed it in a patch.

Zug

Dark urge seems to be the "canon" origin indeed.
Which makes sense, considering the "condition" of Gorion's acolyte in BG1 and 2.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Dark urge seems to be the "canon" origin indeed.
Which makes sense, considering the "condition" of Gorion's acolyte in BG1 and 2.
I dont want to open the spoiler

English is not my first language, what does it mean when something is canon ?

AV

I dont want to open the spoiler

English is not my first language, what does it mean when something is canon ?

Don't get us wrong, you can still totally have a complete adventure without picking dark urge - but it adds another layer to the story and can lead to a unique ending.

It's amazing for a 2nd playthrough but probably not the first.

Fools idol

Banned
Don't get us wrong, you can still totally have a complete adventure without picking dark urge - but it adds another layer to the story and can lead to a unique ending.

It's amazing for a 2nd playthrough but probably not the first.
So yo consider the dark urge ending is the 'true' ending ?

AV

Nah not at all, but giving into the dark urge will lead to the darkest ending. All I can say without massive spoilers.

It's more that the background adds a layer to the story the make it feel like the "true route". But the ending can still go any way you like.

Zug

I didn't finish the game, but I can say that the dark urge background blends well with the events of act 3, probably more so than a custom origin, and thus, feels more "canon".
The ability to give player choice is the main feature of BG3 though, so do whatever feels right to you.

The most random thing just happened. I was investigating UNDERDARK and reached a part with some minotaurs on a hill. I thought Karlach could communicate with them using her ability to speak with animals, but just in case things went south, I left the rest of the team far below and was going to make her run back.

Well, they attacked right away, and I had her start running. They used a jump and got close to me. I took the potion to jump farther, forgot it consumed an action, and missed the chance to escape. Another turn and they were still near me. I used the potion for a gentle fall and made an attack in hopes she could endure for one turn so I could jump safely from the height back to the team.

At that moment, some hallucinogenic spores activated, and I lost control of her. She started attacking on her own, using an explosive arrow that threw the minotaur near me off the hill, causing it to fall and take 100 damage (its HP was 85).

When she regained her senses, I jumped back to my team, thinking the turn would end.

The surviving minotaur jumped toward us, landing right in the middle, taking 33 damage. Astarion fell to the ground and was prone. In the next turn, it ended up being the final blow.

Fools idol

Banned
It genuinely feels like everyone you meet in this game is a homogenous ode to the setting. Raphael is such a marvellous character.

His design, his writing, his voice acting, his lore... is just a perfect blend. His measured cadence conveys the character's underlying lore perfectly. Larian has a great team dedicated to working on every nook and cranny.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV

jason10mm

Gold Member
The most random thing just happened. I was investigating UNDERDARK and reached a part with some minotaurs on a hill. I thought Karlach could communicate with them using her ability to speak with animals, but just in case things went south, I left the rest of the team far below and was going to make her run back.

Well, they attacked right away, and I had her start running. They used a jump and got close to me. I took the potion to jump farther, forgot it consumed an action, and missed the chance to escape. Another turn and they were still near me. I used the potion for a gentle fall and made an attack in hopes she could endure for one turn so I could jump safely from the height back to the team.

At that moment, some hallucinogenic spores activated, and I lost control of her. She started attacking on her own, using an explosive arrow that threw the minotaur near me off the hill, causing it to fall and take 100 damage (its HP was 85).

When she regained her senses, I jumped back to my team, thinking the turn would end.

The surviving minotaur jumped toward us, landing right in the middle, taking 33 damage. Astarion fell to the ground and was prone. In the next turn, it ended up being the final blow.
Fall damage is just nuts, soooooo many battles take place on cliffs, bridges, walls, and ceiling beams, some bastard wrote code allowing the AI to EXACTLY calculate move+push tactics and they just went crazy with it :p

Fall damage is just nuts, soooooo many battles take place on cliffs, bridges, walls, and ceiling beams, some bastard wrote code allowing the AI to EXACTLY calculate move+push tactics and they just went crazy with it :p
Just to show some examples:
When fighting the Goblin bosses, that red guy pushed Karlach, and she fell to the area where you find the spider.
When I fought that creature that emerges from underground, it jumped and dropped my main character and Shadowheart from a cliff. Both died, and I had to restart.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was waiting for someone to show up and complain how the game is not 2e and it was better before all the casuals showed up. Glad to see I've not been disappointed.

Throw in some complaints about gender identity and the cliche writes itself.
People in 2023 complaining about it not being 2e never really had to deal with THAC0 outside of video games.

Are they going to release console footage before early access? Really interested to see how the interface translates over.

AV

Patch 2 incoming soon will add more of an epilogue for Karlach and apparently over 1500 lines of dialogue for Minthara that were missing due to a bug.

Considering how outstanding this game is already, it's wild to think how much better it'll be in a year or two of updates. Nearly finished with playthrough 2 but already excited to do a third later.

ebevan91

Patch 2 incoming soon will add more of an epilogue for Karlach and apparently over 1500 lines of dialogue for Minthara that were missing due to a bug.

Considering how outstanding this game is already, it's wild to think how much better it'll be in a year or two of updates. Nearly finished with playthrough 2 but already excited to do a third later.

Lord have mercy on the Druid’s Grove in my second playthrough if they fix that many lines for Minthara.

Top Bottom